displaying posts 1 to 25 of 54

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: Creating a blue print for a Maxi rep
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #1
Hi Everyone,

My head is being turned by thoughts of a Maxi rep.

I don't want to get too stuck into total authenticity, but want to explore what's out there beyond massive hub spacers if you get my drift.

There's a few builds out there which I have read religiously on maxi's and Dimma's, so I got to thinking about creating a thread which is a 'go to' blueprint of well considered solutions to not only get the look, but also develop a car that functions well as a track/sprint toy and a sunny Sunday car too, without the £15k rear beam etc etc.

Mods feel free to move to a different place if this thread should belong elsewhere.

So first up to get the ball rolling; Bodywork?

Is this the best option these days in the UK?

http://www.maximotorsport.com/products.php?directory=products/Peugeot/Peugeot%20306/306%20Maxi%20Bodykit%20Phase%202

I think these guys use a fairly decent French supplier and operate as the UK distributor. Has anyone any experience of them?Is there anything else out there? I appreciate the days of Dimma steel panels are long gone, even though Geoff still has a few tucked away, but not at the budget level I'm looking at!

Aside from the obvious fitting, are the old rear quarters just cut, folded and re-welded to create space, or should the whole rear quarter come out and be replaced by new metal inner arches? (doing this on my Impreza at the moment)

Do our OEM side skirts fit the kit with a cut to meet the rear quarter panel? Are the remaining panels a bolt on? My Impreza panels are WRC kevlar and are taking a massive amount of work to fit correctly!

Running gear:

Rear track width: Bridgecraft Engineering for rear beam axle spacer and spindle. 40mm wide perhaps? Opportunity to influence camber through this route? What does good geometry look like at the back? All my reference points are RWD cars, so I'm well out of touch regarding what a fast road/track set up looks like.

Are there any other beam solution? Keep the original beam and using a spacer in the axle seems to be a solid solution to my mind. Any idea of the cost of this?

Front track width: I'm less sure of the score here. Is anyone manufacturing a wide track tubular wishbone set up? I'd heard that maybe early boxer vans used wider wishbones? Would love to know what needs to be done to track rod ends and so on to operate more width at the front without big spacers. Does there need to be a bump steer mod to cope with the way the car sits on bigger wheels?

Also what sort of mods look a good option for re-positioning top mounts? Can camber and castor be suitably influenced in the top mounts, and do they need to be reinforced?

Suspension: does this need altering to account for the track width and wheel size? Front coilovers perhaps for clearance, or not really necessary?

Wheels: I think these should be 8x18 according to the originals. Would that mean you can get 225/40 rubber on? Is clearance a problem - does the top of the inner wing need work? What offsets would work if the extra width can be generated by the beam and wishbone mods to get the width?

Err, is that pretty much it?

I think for anyone considering such a project the collective experience and knowledge here on the forum would represent a great resource for creating a blueprint on how to best go about it.

I for one would really appreciate any input.

Cheers
Iain
Posted 13th May 2016 at 15:03
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I'd imagine that you'd need coilovers up front if you're going for wheels that wide to help with clearance, and also to help with the positioning at the top.
The bridgecraft adjustable topmounts are a nice product which will give you a nice selection of camber adjustment, which would also probably help with not creating too much negative camber if you fit wider wishbones.

I've got tubular wishbones on my track car, which give me adjustable camber/castor, they work well enough for what they are but they do cause a lot more cabin noise compared to normal wishbone bushes or even my roller bearing wishbone mounts, i'd not recommend this route for a daily driver personally, but as a weekend or track/sprint car they are worth it.

I'm looking at making my track car wide track eventually, so i'll be paying close attention to other peoples inputs on here. For my rear beam i'm considering designing a double wishbone setup, but that's miles down the line for now. LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 13th May 2016 at 15:15
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
This old thread of mine should helpThumbs up

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=128541

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 13th May 2016 at 16:03
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
satchell engineering can sort the suspension for you.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th May 2016 at 16:47
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #5
midlife wrote:
This old thread of mine should helpThumbs up

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=128541

Cool

Yes I've seen that Thumbs up
I'm pretty sure they're the guys doing the stuff in France for Maxi Motorsport. The pics are the same in the links.

Would love to know if anyone on here is building a car with this kit or have used them?
Posted 13th May 2016 at 16:48
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #6
prism7guy wrote:

I've got tubular wishbones on my track car, which give me adjustable camber/castor, they work well enough for what they are but they do cause a lot more cabin noise compared to normal wishbone bushes or even my roller bearing wishbone mounts, i'd not recommend this route for a daily driver personally, but as a weekend or track/sprint car they are worth it.

Any pics of your wishbones? Who made them?
Posted 13th May 2016 at 16:49
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #7
welshpug! wrote:
satchell engineering can sort the suspension for you.

Just checked out their website. Some nice stuff (and prices) for sure, but couldn't see anything on the 306.
Funnily enough one of the pics they use is the same as the cars in the pic that Maxi Motorsport use.

Thanks for the heads up. Will check them out on Facebook later and see what they get up to Thumbs up

Is anyone from on here, running their stuff?

Cheers
Iain
Posted 13th May 2016 at 16:59
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
RallyeRed wrote:
prism7guy wrote:

Rather than fill this thread up with pictures i'll just link you to the relevant page in my project thread (theres a few images on the next page aswell):
clicky

If there was enough demand i'd consider making a batch, however they would be far from cheap! Doh LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 13th May 2016 at 17:20
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
prism7guy wrote:
RallyeRed wrote:
prism7guy wrote:

Rather than fill this thread up with pictures i'll just link you to the relevant page in my project thread (theres a few images on the next page aswell):
clicky

If there was enough demand i'd consider making a batch, however they would be far from cheap! Doh LOL

I thought about asking when you originally made them but you're clearly a skilled machinist and the time of a skilled machinist isn't cheap!

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 13th May 2016 at 18:44
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
Colin Satchell has done a lot of work on Tony Palfreys 205, couple of the pics are mine Big grin

there's a lot they can do not on the net Wink

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th May 2016 at 19:09
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
RetroPug wrote:
prism7guy wrote:
RallyeRed wrote:
prism7guy wrote:

clicky

I thought about asking when you originally made them but you're clearly a skilled machinist and the time of a skilled machinist isn't cheap!

If i had free access to the required machines i'd do them in my spare time much cheaper, unfortunately i don't so i'd have to basically give my boss the drawings and get him to do it through the books financially, which is where the big cost would come in. Sad

Long term aim is to get myself a few machines so i can offer this sort of service. Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 13th May 2016 at 20:22
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #12
Thanks for your input Gents.
Those wishbones look great Steve. That's quite a thread on your car!
My brother's business is an aerospace accredited engineering firm making some nice kit for helicopters and jets. Shame he's so far away from you!

What's the driveshaft solution for wider track wishbones?
Posted 13th May 2016 at 23:47
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
I have a widetrack solution for the 306 coming from Satchell engineering very soon will keep you updated when there ready. Good luck because once you start it's a lot of work and expense

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 13th May 2016 at 23:54
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #14
I look forward to hearing more about that, sounds v interesting!
It's the cost that's always the kicker and like most things there's several ways to skin a cat.

I've been intrigued to see the similarities between the wishbone set up on the pug with off the shelf stuff available for Cossies. Alloy TCA's and comp struts are readily available, cheap and being scaled up from the smaller Pug must offer some width. Cossie 4x4 hubs offer a lot of throw, good suspension options, same PCD and of course strong driveshafts.

Has anyone ever done it (outside of the YB'd NUR)?
I have hubs and now that I think about a Cossie rack (2.2T L to L I think). I would love to know if anyone's done it. Twangy must have more Ford bits lying around than me!
Posted 14th May 2016 at 08:12
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #15
This is a good discussion on a similar topic.
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=157170
Out there some where is a solution that looks like wishbones from x, hubs from Y (eg 405, 307), brembos from a 406, 330mm discs from z and so on.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel on such s solution if the knowledge is out there, but I haven't come across it yet. I think with a decent parts bin approach plus one or two custom bits it should be do-able without £2.5k of bespoke parts?
Posted 14th May 2016 at 08:38
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
superchargedblack1997gti6 wrote:
I have a widetrack solution for the 306 coming from Satchell engineering very soon will keep you updated when there ready. Good luck because once you start it's a lot of work and expense

This could get interesting Thumbs up

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 15th May 2016 at 08:11
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #17
Giving serious thought to going down the Maxi route with the Rallye!! However, it will probably feature my (currently) part built YB and saph 4WD F/R subframes.....
Have al;ways had a hankering for a 4WD 306 since I saw Andy Burtons way back in the day.....

However, this wont happen until I finish the Skyline, probably by early Jan 17.

On a related note, does anyone know if there's a massive difference between the MC Racing kit and the AC-Sport one?? I can see a roadtrip with van to the south of France at some stage perhaps!!??

Will be keeping an eye on this thread with interest..

TT
Posted 15th May 2016 at 10:01
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
I fancy a colour change on mine so now seems a good time has any if I wanted to do it

Posted 15th May 2016 at 10:33
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #19
if you want 4wd start with a better drivetrain than an old ford!

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 15th May 2016 at 10:33
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #20
welshpug! wrote:
if you want 4wd start with a better drivetrain than an old ford!

Such as???

The fact that I have it lying around plus the fact you can get good, reliable numbers out of a YB I think it's a GREAT setup to use!!

Why go out and buy a shedload of bits when I have it all?????

While I'm sure I could go and transplant Impreza/EVO running gear
1. I don't have any
2. I really can't be arsed to go down that road.

TT
Posted 15th May 2016 at 11:16
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #21
I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but I genuinely think the Rallye should stay as is. If you're going to butcher a 306 you'd do better to butcher a cheap 6 or find a base model 3 door, rather than a rare Rallye.

I have no objections to the idea of a YB'd Maxi 306 though!

Welshpug - the good thing about the Cosworth drivetrain is there's a healthy aftermarket for them, plus the engines are very reliable and easily tuned, and unlike an Evo don't need to be wrapped up in cotton wool and serviced every other week.

2000 W Phase 3 Moonstone.
Posted 15th May 2016 at 11:23
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
I though a rallye was a base model

Posted 15th May 2016 at 11:30
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #23
Cjwatson27 - technically true, though I don't think many people would baulk at a bog standard 1.4 being played with. A rare Rallye on the other hand...

2000 W Phase 3 Moonstone.
Posted 15th May 2016 at 11:35
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #24
GTi6-PJL wrote:
Cjwatson27 - technically true, though I don't think many people would baulk at a bog standard 1.4 being played with. A rare Rallye on the other hand...

The fact that I saved my Rallye from a definite date with the scrapper means that anything I do with it is a bonus IMO....

Don't worry though, I'll put proper Rallye decals back on when I'm done..

LOL LOL

TT
Posted 15th May 2016 at 11:39
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
I have to say I've never seen the point of taking something as well balanced and adjustable as a 306 and then sticking old ford subframes, suspension and drivetrain under the shell.

You've basically then got something that handles, goes and steers like a shonky old Ford disguised as a 306. A car that's only really sought after for it's handling characteristics...

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 15th May 2016 at 12:06

Pages (3): [1] 2 3