displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: Driveshaft throwing grease everywhere
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
The long driveshaft on the race car is throwing grease everywhere, is it dead or fixable? J&R don't seem particularly reliable and I'd rather not pay £150 for a genuine one on top of everything else I have to buy!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 14:43
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Have a brand new set of jr for sale what do you reacon there worth bud
Although if your not getting funny noises and all seems well probably just needs a new boot and some fresh greese

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 14:59
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
No noises, just grease. Changing a boot and refilling with grease is nice and easy, I'll do that instead Smile Saves spending even more money this winter!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 15:05
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #4
Is it not just a pinhole or a split in the cv boot?
*edit* beat me to it! LOL

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 15:06
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Honestly not looked in to it at all, the driveshaft is in a corner somewhere of the workshop. Someone told me it might be buggered so I'll have a proper look at the weekend Smile

Rallye Race Car
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 15:07
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Probably just a pinhole, or the clamps not holding the boot secure enough at higher speeds (happens often on the cheap shafts with the hard/plasticky boots)

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 15:48
rikky 🦔

Post #7
my cv boot split this morning totally open and can see the innards going into the hub. approximate time before it dies completely? miles left to get it back home? 30?

was noisy and steering was juddering at first but then stopped and feels normal, but clicks on turning as you would expect

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 15:54
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #8
demondriverdan wrote:
Honestly not looked in to it at all, the driveshaft is in a corner somewhere of the workshop. Someone told me it might be buggered so I'll have a proper look at the weekend Smile

My outer cv on the long shaft got a pinhole in it, threw grease everywhere. But it was still quiet so I just changed the boot for a genuine one and it's been fine since..... Touch wood! LOL

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 15:56
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
If it's making noise Rikky chances are there's already s**t in there.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 16:13
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
jeffers wrote:
My outer cv on the long shaft got a pinhole in it, threw grease everywhere. But it was still quiet so I just changed the boot for a genuine one and it's been fine since..... Touch wood! LOL

Hopefully that's all it is! With the new engine going in over the winter and the crash at the end of the year I'm making sure everything is in good condition. Already found a bent steering rack Sad

Rallye Race Car
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 16:13
rikky 🦔

Post #11
phillipm wrote:
If it's making noise Rikky chances are there's already s**t in there.

i know, it's f**ked LOL but i was wondering if it's likely to last 30 miles home on the motorway LOL think i'll just get my mate to come up in his van with some tools and a cv boot new kit

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 16:18
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
What's wrong with the pikey 'wrap it in electrical tape and pray' fix?

Email me!
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 16:19
rikky 🦔

Post #13
soaking wet / no tools / no jack / no electrical or gaffer tape LOL

Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 16:22
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Hmmmm

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 16:57
rikky 🦔

Post #15
i know everyone wants to know an update on my ruined CV, so let me tell you a story

i did the CV joint in the carpark last night at 6pm in the pitch black with minimal tools and it all went to plan other than having to hammer/chisel the hubnut off as someone had mushroomed the threads on the driveshaft end

Posted 1st Dec 2015 at 12:31
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Amazing and i thought you have stuck something sticky on it just to keep it going did you stick the nut back on Smile

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

Posted 1st Dec 2015 at 16:38