displaying posts 1 to 25 of 28

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Cherry red ph1
Sonnyp

Regular

Post #1
Brought myself a cherry red ph1 few months back for a track toy fast forward to Tuesday and I was going round brands hatch with a big smile. The car is standard right now we'll apart from no interior just seats and harnesses.

Looking for advice on what I can do to improve the car, working on a to do list on what I think I should do but I'm sure you guys know all sorts of things to improve the car. My list for car consists of.

Polybush the car
Rear beam with hybrid Arb and 21mm tbs
Improve the braking
Better tires for the track.
Stiffer/ harder suspension
Vts rack

Looking for tips and advice please and if people have stuff for sale be great before I rush out to buy new parts.

Thanks in advance
Sonny

Sonnyp has attached the following image:

Posted 4th Dec 2014 at 19:34
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
A lot will say go solid beam mounts. That's all driver preference in my opinion. I love the passive steer and feel it assists with cornering. Most do not like it and go solid. Fresh mounts is worth a look, if it's just for track, go bigger on the tb's. As for brakes, get some DS2500 pads or similar with decent discs before going big brakes. It may well be enough on a stripped out car.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 5th Dec 2014 at 15:12
Sonnyp

Regular

Post #3
Was looking at getting new wishbones and new bushes ball joints ect first. I know the bushes I can upgrade but not sure about ball joints and wishbones, mine are 16mm so would that limit me in options on wishbones and ball joints?
Posted 6th Dec 2014 at 17:47
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
If your looking to upgrade the wishbone speak to richw. He sells a roller bearing bush kit. Wink

Posted 6th Dec 2014 at 18:25
Sonnyp

Regular

Post #5
Right I shall inquire about the wishbones thanks.
I'm looking at bilsteinn Front shocks with eibach springs but not sure weather to go with b6's or B8's?
Posted 8th Dec 2014 at 18:13
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
B6 if your going to stay at standard ride height and b8 if your lowering more than 30mm. The 2 shocks are basically the same except the b8 are shorter.
I also ran the b6 rear shocks and thought they were too soft. They felt no different to standard.
More noticable was a thicker anti roll bar.
If you don't get a response about those solid mounts, give pug racing a call or daveyboy if you want new ones. I'd suggest new shocks and such before playing with the beam mounts. Is the beam okay? No excessive play or camber?

Posted 8th Dec 2014 at 21:45
Sonnyp

Regular

Post #7
Seems rear beam is now seized haven't used the car in a few weeks now, the rear is now solid! So gonna look into getting a gd condition vts beam as it come with the 21mm tbs.
gonna go with the B8 as the previous owner has lowered it at least 40mm and looks nice to me.
Gonna change all the bushings and mounts now too.
Posted 14th Dec 2014 at 12:55
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Have a think about the Spax Crypton Coilovers mechanical repairs has for sale. I feel they would be better. Plus, like my spaxs you can crank up or soften the dampers.

Posted 15th Dec 2014 at 06:10
Sonnyp

Regular

Post #9
Yer I got the coil overs off of mechanical repairs for a gd price cheers for that won don't have noticed them. Also got vts rear beam and brought all new mounts for the rear went with standard ones for now, will wait and see if anything pops up on here after Xmas. Looking into rear shocks for the beam now, the rear is already lowered so I'll put the vts beam in at the same height. What would be a gd set of rear shocks?
Posted 17th Dec 2014 at 21:19
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
I got the spax PSX rears which are adjustable too. They work much better than the new Bilstein b6 I had before.

Posted 17th Dec 2014 at 21:38
Sonnyp

Regular

Post #11
In the middle of cleaning/ unseizing all the bolts ect on a vts rear beam I've acquired, but torsion bars are a pain to say the least. Tried sliding hammer no luck then hi tensile bolt with a sock and washers no luck too, next idea was gas torch and sliding hammer.
Unless anyone has the perfect answer to this?
Or somewhere I can take the beam and have them removed? (In Essex)

Posted 3rd Jan 2015 at 13:26
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
What did you do with the interior?
Posted 3rd Jan 2015 at 13:32
Sonnyp

Regular

Post #13
In bits in the garage mate gotta get rid of it end of the month so if theirs anything you need your welcome to it unless It's gotta broken been laying around for a whole.
Posted 3rd Jan 2015 at 13:48
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Don't throw a single piece away! When is good for me to come up and have a look?
Posted 3rd Jan 2015 at 13:49
Sonnyp

Regular

Post #15
Well any idea what bits you might want I can pick it up from the garage and bring it my house then any time after work really as I haven't been to the workshop for a while just storing stuff their.
Posted 3rd Jan 2015 at 14:04
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #16
Sonnyp wrote:
In the middle of cleaning/ unseizing all the bolts ect on a vts rear beam I've acquired, but torsion bars are a pain to say the least. Tried sliding hammer no luck then hi tensile bolt with a sock and washers no luck too, next idea was gas torch and sliding hammer.
Unless anyone has the perfect answer to this?
Or somewhere I can take the beam and have them removed? (In Essex)

Apply heat to the arm around where the torsion bar fits in then use the slide hammer they should come out, may take a fair bit of perseverance but they should come.

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 3rd Jan 2015 at 15:19
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
I'm after the door cards, if you still have them!!
Posted 3rd Jan 2015 at 17:35
Sonnyp

Regular

Post #18
I'll get some pics tomoro for you mate.

Got my blow torch ready to tackle the torsion bars tomoro.
Also I'm lowering the car read about the compensator on the rear not working right after and that you should cut a coil or 2, is this recommended?
Posted 3rd Jan 2015 at 21:31
Sonnyp

Regular

Post #19
The torsion bars are out!!! Bloody things gonna be cleaning the splines up and repacking with copper grease unless theirs something better to put on the splines when it gets rebuilt?

Couldn't get pics of the door cards but one the guys working at the garage is gonna send me some tomoro.

Atspeed is just over the road to the garage they got some serious 106 being built in their. Anyone on here used them for 306's?
Posted 4th Jan 2015 at 19:24
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Love the car. Good luck with the project. With reguards to the steering rack, ive heard the vts rack has less feel than the '6 rack. Also, if you want to go lighter, theres about 14Kg's of sound deadening behind the dash Thumbs up

DIABLO GTI-6 - Legend - NILE GTI-6 - Sold
CHERRY GTI-6 P1 SUPERCHARGED - Broken up
BLACK RALLYE - Sold
205 Dturbo xud9 work horse - Dead
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 8th Jan 2015 at 19:41
6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
A canvey member, your one of the first I think.

No one uses atspeed for 306 stuff. There nice blokes but they don't do much for 306s.

Loving the cherry red ph1 Love

***Breaking*** Ph3 Silver GTI 6 High Boost Superman

Posted 8th Jan 2015 at 21:20
Sonnyp

Regular

Post #22
Yer haven't seen another 6 on the island yet, well their was one but it hadn't moved for a long time and then disappeared ha.
Will be taking the dash out to get to that sound deadening then.

Just after rear shocks now and can put the beam together and fit the bloody thing.
Look for some good tyres now I'd like r888 but haven't got that kind of money once I buy rear shocks. I was thinking about toyo proxies but seems not many people rate them that well on here. Seen federal 595 rsr look like a gd tyre and a reasonable price for me atm.
Posted 10th Jan 2015 at 09:50
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
3rd time lucky wrote:
With reguards to the steering rack, ive heard the vts rack has less feel than the '6 rack.

I've got a VTS rack in my Rallye and, although the steering is heavier (inevitable due to the faster ratio/higher gearing), I definitely wouldn't say it has less feel. It feels fantastic IMO. The rack itself is almost identical apart from the distance apart the teeth are cut, and the hose fittings on the P2 version.

Nice car, got to love a P1.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 25th Jan 2015 at 20:30
Sonnyp

Regular

Post #24
Busy few months, we'll kind of but she's getting their now
Rebuilt the xsara beam
Fitted my roller bearing wishbones, adjustable drop links a spax coilovers. So fun to drive again with no seized beam.

Posted 20th Apr 2015 at 18:47
Sonnyp

Regular

Post #25
Fitted my buckets seats and harness, after finally getting some subframes but had to drill them out so my seat was dead in the centre of the wheel.

Seats really hold you in nice, will be loads better on my next track day.
Posted 20th Apr 2015 at 18:50

Pages (2): [1] 2