displaying posts 351 to 375 of 404

Pages (17): first .. 14 [15] 16 .. last

Author Subject: Red Rallye S529 OAN
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #351
Mark, thanks. I assume part 35 is the bit ive circled and kt the bit im after?

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 10th Apr 2018 at 21:31
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #352
I will message you some pictures.

How to do a clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 11th Apr 2018 at 17:07
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #353
I looked at this and the drawing is not very clear.

To me it looked initially as though 14 goes on top of A and includes the cross-member people jack on (same with B and 15). But then I looked at it again and it looked as though you were correct, and that it is the inner bit next to the tunnel as 14/15 appear closed at the end, meaning they would not fit over A and B.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 14th Apr 2018 at 10:25
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #354
Mik,

Mark was good enough to send me a pic of the part he ordered and it turns out it's parts 14 & 34 I need

He's cut the cross member bit off but it all comes as one part. Parts man has located 3 panels, two of one side, one of the other and that's all he can find. I've taken the pair.

Posted 15th Apr 2018 at 21:59
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #355
Didnt get as much done as i thought i might this weekend, but i still made some progress....

So, Saturday i was intending to go to the gym first thing. Can i make it clear i was intending to? One or two ciders more than the prescribed friday 'youve got the gym in the morning' limit meant i might not have made it.....forgive me!

I went to the local Post office collection depot to pick up a parcel (my shell fixings kit) and then shot over to my parents to start and drive their cars as they are in Australia for 3 months. Then came home for a brew.

Now, my intent was to get the underside done with the epoxy mastic. Again, intention....i ended up going through the fixing kit and putting notes in bags as to what was what and then trying to sort the garage out as ive a buggy and pretty much most of a 306 in there....in the end, i sorted a load of 306 stuff, emtpied the buggy of 306 stuff and got its battery on charge and then spent time time drinking with a few of the other kids parents in the sun as we watched our kids play in the cul-de-sac....

Today, the forecast wasnt great so started by washing off 2000 miles of crap from the daily GTD. Got that finished and the rain arrived......and then stopped an hour later and the sun came out so i mixed up a batch of epoxy mastic and got busy. Started and completed the passenger side rear arch and the went onto the underisde.

Despite me using a non thinned batch of mastic, im still not happy about using a brush. It feels wrong, given the level of finish im trying to achieve. The finish levels domt look too bad but im not happy with them. Ive been in touch with a mate who paints stuff for a living about spraying the mastic. Ive a 150cfm compressor available if i need so lm looking at spraying the mastic rather than using a brush. Bilt Hamber do something called flatface which appears to be a super high build primer that sits well over the mastic and should get rid of any brush marks.

A few pics:

[url=https://ibb.co/mVm81n]
[/url]

Posted 15th Apr 2018 at 21:50
alcon

Senior User

Post #356
Ben, when you put your car on the rotisserie, what had you removed from it? I can see that the engine bay is stripped but what about interior, doors, tailgate etc?

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 16th Apr 2018 at 09:55
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #357
No interior other than a passenger seat and dash. All the other panels still attached.

Posted 16th Apr 2018 at 10:11
alcon

Senior User

Post #358
What was your end opinion of getting the engine bay blasted?....did it come up the way you were expecting and was it worth the cost/effort of getting it transported to blasting company etc?

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 17th Apr 2018 at 09:18
lee306rallye

Regular

Post #359
Ben looking at what you have done to the under side of the car in all honesty i would completely start again from scratch. I'm a paint sprayer and to be honest the look doesn't look good at all I realise you have brushed it all on. But here Is a tip for you. You don't gave to take any advice from me but this is how I would do it. Get it all blasted off now you have it on a jig. Once blasted go around cleaning and grinding what needs to be done. Next would be to put 2 coats of etch primer not to thick. Then stone chip and of course the red gloss. Here's is another tip people seem to think the more paint or stone chip you put on the better protection. In fact the more you put on the worse it will be for example if the paint gets damaged the moisture will sit in the damaged part more and sit there longer. More paint doesn't mean better protection. If you did it the way I have just explained you wouldn't be chasing your tail all the time and also this is the quickest and best way to get the look you are after. Sorry if I sounding a bit brutal

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=163869
Posted 17th Apr 2018 at 11:40
alcon

Senior User

Post #360
Lee, what kind of finish does the stone chip leave?....ie, if you are suggesting going over the stone chip with gloss top coat, will this finish be smooth?

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 17th Apr 2018 at 11:45
lee306rallye

Regular

Post #361
No it won't make it Smooth it will make it like a texture finish but flat. It would look like the finish you see on the sills on some cars. And it's also to do with how you put the stone chip on also I would give it one light coat of stone chip then red gloss on top while the stone chip is still wet. I know what ive said above sound harsh but if ben is looking a good finish to the under side of the car this is the way I would do it also. Plus it's a lot cheaper

Posted 17th Apr 2018 at 12:11
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #362
Alistair,

They came to me, I didn't take the car to them so from that point of view, it worked fairly well.

The guy dropped on me at pretty short notice. Ideally, I wanted it on the jig buy then but didn't have time. I'd have also waited until it was warmer as towards the end, the mix of water/media was freezing on contact.

Utlimately, it got the engine bay back to bare metal which is what I wanted and given the corners/angles etc, this was the only way to do it really. I then used spray cans of Electrox zinc primer to paint the engine bay and, as expected, the finish on that is pretty good. No brush marks etc. It's a shame they don't do the Epoxy Mastic in spray cans but I appreciate that's difficult from a manufacturing point of view.

Now, I've every faith in the products I'm using. Electrox and EM have got a very good track record so I don't feel the issue lies with the products, more the application method. Despite them saying it can be brushed or rollered, it's clearly not the best way and is leaving the brush marks which whilst nothing more than astheticly poor, and won't be seen in the end anyway (underside of the car and behind arch liners), looks a bag of shit and it's in keeping with everything else I'm doing. More is certainly not better as you say Lee and my plan was for the Electrox Primer, then the Epoxy, then stone chip or BH do something called Flatface (a very high build primer).

The issue I think lies with brushing the EM on. Just not going to give the level of finish i want, although likely to offer all the protection i need. I'm now actively exploring the option of having the mastic sprayed on. I'll clean off the bits ive done which look rubbish and get the whole underside and engine bay sprayed with the EM.

Lee, I appreciate your points. It's useful to hear from a painter. Luckily I've only done a small section of the underside with the EM so far. The rest of the underside is ok and for me, I'm happy enough with it not to have to strip it all off. It's only this small section that needs that. I initially painted on the Electrox (which to be fair, goes on much better) with most of it then given a second coat to ensure full coverage via spray can. The finish of that is much much better than the mastic.

The issue is the application method of the mastic. Sprayed it will be much better and it is sprayable according to BH and other people who have used it.

Posted 17th Apr 2018 at 12:52
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #363
Touching on the stone chip, I found a very good 3M product previously. Part of their bodyguard range.

Never been a fan of the wavy finish you get with a lot of stone chips. 3M do a flat finish stone chip which leaves a very good finish. I've only found it in aerosol cans so far, I'm.trying to find if they do it as a sprayable version as I seem to recall they did.

I'd appreciate any feedback you may have on that lot Lee, especially the stone chip. I can find sprayable cans of 3m (I assume with a Shultz type gun) but they continually make reference to a textured finish. Is it possible to alter gun settings to reduce the texture to flat as much as possible?

Posted 17th Apr 2018 at 12:54
lee306rallye

Regular

Post #364
Ben I use the upol stone chip you can thin it down with standard thinners and it will go on a lot flatter the only issue with this is that you need to be more carefully applying it. Take your time not to rush it. And I would only put 2 light coats of it on. As I said above 2 etch coats 2 light stone chip coats and then put the red gloss on. I wouldn't bother with the high build primer as I said above 2 many coats are not good. The thinner you can get it on there the better it will be

Posted 17th Apr 2018 at 13:32
alcon

Senior User

Post #365
Typed Upol stone chip into google and found this video which looks like the same stuff. The guy's an amateur but looks like he's done an OK job (the pros may think differently!)

Ben, would you consider this? It comes in grey as well and it's over paintable. It's not a smooth finish but looks regular instead of brush marked.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 17th Apr 2018 at 15:32
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #366
Alistair, yes, i would. It appears similar to the 3M stuff i referenced earlier.

This is the stuff ive been looking at.

To be honest, i could probably find that level of finish acceptable but bearing in mind Lees comments that it is possible to get a pretty flat finish using thinners and taking your time, then im inclined to go for that. I will talk to my friend about him painting it for me (was a full time sprayer for a long time, then was a lecturer for a college on car body repair and paint). Id like to do it myself but just dont feel ive got the skill levels to do the job id like.

Posted 17th Apr 2018 at 21:19
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #367
Someone on DW mentioned foam brushes. You could blot the mastic on application to give a somewhat stone-chip looking finish - better than brush marks and a lot easier than spraying something with a hardener in it.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 18th Apr 2018 at 08:17
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #368
Yeah, I did see that suggestion Mik. Might be a solution for the large flat sections but for some of the complex corners etc, I'm not so sure.

I'm still actively investigating the spray method. Having had a conversation with another friend in detail last night, I'm pretty certain this is the correct way to go and will deliver the finish I require.

I won't be doing any more work on the chassis/floorpan for a while now anyway. Have these new panels on their way and there isn't much point me trying to do anymore prep until all the metal work is in place.

Posted 18th Apr 2018 at 08:54
alcon

Senior User

Post #369
Just when you thought you were getting somewhere, in we step with the 'oooo, I wouldn't have done it like that' comments LOL

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 18th Apr 2018 at 11:35
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #370
Lol, well, not really the case.

I wasn't expecting to find the replacement panels that I have done. With that in mind, there is no point carrying on with any more prep work. No point painting something, to cut it off, to paint it again!

Posted 18th Apr 2018 at 17:24
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #371
Not updated this for ages.....fair few things.

Firstly, i managed to break my windscreen, with the car on the jig, i dropped the bonnet holding the plastic sheeting over the engine bay and broke the screen. Seriously annoyed as it wad the original screen, VIN stamped and everything. Managed to find another properly Rallye screen at a dealers in Anglesey.

All the genuine Peugeot markings, apart from the VIN....

Decided i would replace both bent, mangled stiffener panels. Finding them was easier said than done. A dealers in Belgium said they had a pair, but could only find one when they looked.

Located another, which turned out to be the same side as this. The search for the drivers side continues.

It became apparent fairly quickly that removing this panel was exactly the right thing to do. Drilling spot welds around the section where it wraps around the main chassis leg was interesting....lots of rust coming out. I knew it wasn't great, this had me worried though.

I eventually drilled though enough spot welds (and the floor in a couple of places.....) to enable me to get a cold chisel between panel and chassis leg. The metal was so thin and brittle, it took next to no effort to split it and peel it back. Yuck. Chassis leg appears solid, although I won't know for sure until the panel is fully stripped off but the inside of this panel is rusty too. As said, I'm happy I've taken the decision to strip it off.

The other side of the car is worse. It's already been patched previously to me owning it. It's a tidy job but there is double skinned section very near a subframe mount which looks very rough indeed. It's a double skinned section and I can see the second layer....red circled bit...

It took a while and it was a pig of a panel to get off, but its off.

Appears only the panel itself was the rusty/rotten bit. Chassis leg has some surafce rust and a very small amount of pitting but other than that, is all good underneath. New panel fits well, which to be honest, i guess you'd expect being a peugeot panel.

Then onto the next job. Still have the servo I took off the 6 I broke. One in the Rallye currently isn't great at all cosmetically so decided to clean this one up and will replace the one in the car with this.

Posted 18th Jun 2018 at 21:17
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #372
Looking good buddy. If you have a list of panels and parts you need I have bought a peugeot dealerships obsolete stock and so far alot of 306 parts I've found and going to look at his other peugeot garage with simular amount of stock next week so if there is any specific part numbers you need let me know.

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 19th Jun 2018 at 09:46
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #373
Have copied and pasted my last two posts from DW as forgpt to update here too.....

Today, having watched the last half hour of Le Mans (really got into that this year….watched it late into the night last night, loved it!) and having done all the fathers day stuff (including going to see my dad, who wasn't in, and landing sunday dinner cooking duties!!), i got to play a bit with the Rallye.

Started out by doing a test section on the underside where i wet sanded the zinc primer. Like the small section of Epoxy mastic, im not happy with the brush marks in the finish. BHs guide say it can be wet sanded to a point. Im planning on wet sanding and then asking my mate if he can spray the new 1ltr tin i have (again, can be sprayed if thinned correctly). I'd like a really decent finish on the underside too. Not sure if i'll have to wet sand too much of the original coat to the point it wont protect properly so as i've got some more, i'll get it sprayed on. Didn't get any pics of this although i'm sure you've all got an imagination Big grin

Next step was to get rid of some more of the blast media that still seems to in there. This inside the inner wing.

A slight opening up of the panel and out it came.

[/url]

So with that done, i decided to move onto the heater fan….thanks to Mr Blaster who just seemed to shove the nozzle anywhere, including fan air intake, the fan was full of media. Joy. So i started by popping out the glovebox (pain as the hinges have two plastic pins needing removal, one of which you need to be a contortionist with the hands of a 5 year old to get to. Removed eventually. Popped the rubber cover off the power & earth wires and media is peeing out already. Not good.

Wires removed. You can see around the joint line on the fan unit and on the bracket i removed the evidence of the matrix failure.

What has someone been doing to the wiring? I need to chase this back further and see what is what...

The fan innards…..yuck.

This is what came out of it….

Evidence of the previous (known about) matrix failure

Then, the piece de resistance…. I had a look at the bulkhead and though hmmmm, sound deadening looks a bit odd. Because it is. Someone has been at it with a stanley knife.

Couldn't figure out why, until i pulled the carpet forward. WTF is that i thought? Very quickly dawned on me that someone has drilled the bulkhead. Ill guess to run a power cable to the boot for some stereo gear, i can't think why else, unless its had a battery relocation done at some point in its past (i know it was stripped to be a track car) but havent found anything else to suggest this is the case

The offending bulkhead hole.

So a little more welding to do and more parts on the shopping list. Ill test the fan motor on the bench but might put a new one in for good measure. The housing it sits in has clearly been prised open as the two halves don't go together properly and clips are broken. Pain to change that and i may well yet have the dash out completely. Need to chase back that fan wiring and see whats what and im half tempted to chuck another matrix in it while the dash is out.Did a bit more to the Rallye today. Since finding what i found previously, its becoming more obvious the dash needs to come out. But for now, it was about removing the passenger seat and carpets.

First job was to get it off the jig again as i need to be in and out of the car frequently. Not doing that with it on the jig so for now, its back on axle stands again and with it back in terra firma, out came the seat and i got busy on removing the carpet. Centre console comes out first and the first thing i find is a broken mount.

Not the end of the world but maybe something else to replace. With that out, i undid the dash mounts at the base of each A pillar and removed door seals. Little surface rust underneath but nothing to worry about.

Then removed the front carpet. First thing i noticed is that its been cut in half and it's in two pieces rather than one. Not a huge issue as you cant tell once everything is in and it's perhaps easier to remove. The foam backing to the front carpet sections was very wet though, so they are in the back garden drying out. Interesting there is a polystyrene section under the drivers side carpet which goes under the footrest to the left of the clutch pedal.

Then the lump in the floor from being jacked in the wrong place..

The bigger surprise was the passenger side floor. The sound deadening was already cracked and lifted but taking out the body plug, which had been sealed in, revealed it hadn't sealed very well at all…..

The bigger surprise was yet to come…..i pulled up the bottom of the bulkhead sound deadening to find…….

A 13mm ring spanner thats clearly been there for some time! And then, on removing the rear carpet….

A T10 torx bit! I know this car has been apart before but leaving tools in it? Well, ill take them.

So, with all the carpets removed, there was plenty of mess to clean up.

I took the opportunity to have a look at the seat pretensioner wiring for the driver's seat. This is the one i had to cut off from the seat and, i suspect, the cause of the airbag light on the dash. Interestingly, the drivers side wiring has an odd date code, 18/10/1999, which leads me to think this has already been replaced once as its different to the date on the other side, and, manufactured after the car was built.

Still, it will be replaced again and see where we go. Theres also plenry of evidence of it being poorly put back together at some point. Hacked fittings, and thats assuming they actually bother to do the nuts/bolts/screws up etc...

There isn't a huge amount else i can do right now until i find this other stiffener panel, which still hasn't appeared anywhere. I may well investigate and see if this panel is common across the 306 range (im hoping so and cant see why not?) and may try and find a shell with one still intact. No point having any of the welding work done until i know what's happening with that.

Posted 23rd Jun 2018 at 23:34
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #374
A small update from Saturday.

Picked up a pair of Rallye door cards locally from Carl G for a bargain £30. They were grubby and needed a clean but that was no issue...

G101, lots of water, a scrubbing brush and....

Came up really, really well. Happy with them. They are in very good condition. Dried very very quickly in the sun too.

So with nothing else to do until 3pm, I decided to make a start on the front carpet sections. Same drill, lots of water, G101, scrubbing brush and elbow grease. The front carpets had plenty of staining, mostly from rusty brown coloured coolant from the previous heater matrix blow. Once I'd finished scrubbing, I got the pressure washer out and got busy. The amount of crap that came out was unbelievable, especially rusty coloured old coolant.

Well get some better 'after' pics later and ill doo the rear section today too.

Posted 8th Jul 2018 at 07:34
gbryn

Regular

Post #375
Jesus, good job! Came up really well!
Posted 8th Jul 2018 at 20:32

Pages (17): first .. 14 [15] 16 .. last