displaying posts 376 to 400 of 404

Pages (17): first .. 15 [16] 17

Author Subject: Red Rallye S529 OAN
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #376
quote:
[quote="gbryn"]Jesus, good job! Came up really well!

Thanks fella.

Completed carpet pics....

First pics has shadows of the plants, not stains or dodgy marks!

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 8th Jul 2018 at 23:08
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #377
The parts collection continues to grow.

Part of original fat body rear shocks and ankther pair of side skirt clips...

Posted 26th Jul 2018 at 20:05
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #378
Another bit of eBay shopping arrived yesterday.

Given I've a brand new door that will be going on, what better that a brand new, genuine Peugeot door fixing kit! £10 delivered from eBay. Very slightly cheaper than Peugeot so a bargain too!

In other news, the buggy engine sold, and it looks like the buggy has too (subject to it passing it's MOT) sold funds are now in place to progress this at hopefully a faster pace (subject to parts availability and the possible purchase of a Clio 197....����).

Finding this panel I need for the underside is proving tough. No one showing availability anywhere, numerous checks and asking hasn't turned up anything. What has turned up however, is the guy from New Zealand (who sent me those inner wing brackets) and the 306 shell he is breaking.........he dropped me a message asking if I'd be interested in the stiffener panels! The reply didn't take long to type..... Big grin

Pics sent through and they look like this.

Difficult to tell as they are still part covered in underseal but whilst they may be a little out of shape, they are solid, rot free and still have the little oval dimple on the part that wraps over the chassis leg.

More than good enough for me. Not sure if I'll replace the whole panel or just make a repair section but it's enough to replace the mess that is my current one with genuine metal. He's sending me both.

Now, I just need to persuade that Lincoln Danny with offers of cash/alcohol/BBQ/food/the Mrs babysitting to come over and wave his magic welder wand at the car and it's game on.... Big grin

Posted 28th Jul 2018 at 16:02
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #379
So, i might have lobbed a deposit at this tonight....

Ph1 Xsara VTS. 133k. MOT until september this year. Will be getting broken and I'm keeping the rack for myself before anyone asks....

And then, Update from my New Zealand guy....

The panels are about ready to send....

Posted 11th Aug 2018 at 00:01
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #380
Nice progress.

I could be interested in the VTS gearbox if the price is right Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 11th Aug 2018 at 16:27
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #381
Ah you brought that one worth it for the price.
Posted 11th Aug 2018 at 19:44
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #382
quote:
[quote="blandy"]Ah you brought that one worth it for the price.

Yeah, it was.....just trying to sort the logistics of getting it from West Wales back to the Midlands ...

Posted 11th Aug 2018 at 19:59
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #383
Lol I saw it on fb but was to far to go
Posted 11th Aug 2018 at 22:40
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #384
quote:
[quote="Ben_W"]

NZ cars are normally in great nick underneath as they don't use road salt. The best are South Island cars as it is dryer down there. In the 1990s a lot of 1960s British cars (Morris Minors, Jag S Types etc) from NZ would their way back to the UK for that reason, and the bonus was they were UK spec RHD with speedos in miles too.

A NZ 306 shell will be mint unless it has been parked in the sea.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 15th Aug 2018 at 17:40
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #385
quote:
[quote="mik"]
quote:
[quote="Ben_W"]

NZ cars are normally in great nick underneath as they don't use road salt. The best are South Island cars as it is dryer down there. In the 1990s a lot of 1960s British cars (Morris Minors, Jag S Types etc) from NZ would their way back to the UK for that reason, and the bonus was they were UK spec RHD with speedos in miles too.

A NZ 306 shell will be mint unless it has been parked in the sea.

Cheers Mik. Yeah, they look pretty bloody good from the pictures. Just waiting for him to tell me how much money him for postage.

I'll be using the drivers side one as that's the one I still need. The passenger side one I'll be selling on, unless the wife decides I can buy a white Rallye...........in which case I'll hang onto it incase that car needs one!

Posted 15th Aug 2018 at 18:57
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #386
This is still bubbling away in the background.

So, the NZ panels finally arrived! Means I now have a good pair. Must find me a decent welder type person...

The parts man got in touch recently, regarding a find in Italy.

A set of original, single button key fobs with the appropriate transponder, brand new still in the package.

Posted 13th Oct 2018 at 10:16
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #387
Whilst the Xsara has been a nice distraction, the Rallye still sits in the roll over jig, I imagine glaring at me, every time I lay a finger in the other french lady in my life.......

I have every intention of picking this back up this year and continuing it. There are a few things I need to pay for first though (holiday, boiler Roll eyes: ). I have been put in touch with someone who is a very good welder indeed who is going to come and have a look at the stiffener panels at some point soon.

The parts genie keeps popping up periodically with more parts. This being the latest:

Another long unavailable part and another bit that mine was missing from when I bought it, the underbonnet sound deadening panel. This one was in Europe somewhere....

I may well yet hold off on getting the Xsara bits plated and make up a much bigger batch and include a lot of the Rallye parts (nuts, bolts, brackets etc). It's not much money to have stuff plated anyway so it might make more sense.

I have a load of old pallet racking to bring home from work and put in the garage which I need to do soon. Once that's done, I should have more room, my parts laid out in a much more organised fashion and have more room to get on with what I need to. I really, really do need to make a complete inventory of all the parts I have, especially the new ones.

I'm also considering taking the dash out of the Rallye. I will get a second opinion on that first as the bulkhead may be able to be welded without doing so but, if I want to replace the sound deadening panel that's been hacked to bits, which I do, the dash will need to come out as it's all tucked up behind it and looks like it's fitted before the dash at the factory. It's probably also backed up by the fact that it makes putting a new heater matrix in much, much easier and I can properly clean up the brown stainy mess in the heater ducts from the last failure. Lots to consider.

I do miss working on the Rallye. Another few months and I should be in a better position financially with a couple of loans etc coming to an end, which should hopefully speed progress along.

Posted 22nd May 2019 at 09:12
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #388
Keep it going Ben, this thread is going to be the how to/inspiration for my own rallye resto Thumbs up

Out of interest how much was the bonnet sound seadening?

Just Drive It
Posted 23rd May 2019 at 10:08
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #389
rallyestyle wrote:
Keep it going Ben, this thread is going to be the how to/inspiration for my own rallye resto Thumbs up

Out of interest how much was the bonnet sound seadening?

Not cheap...! I'll message you.

Posted 23rd May 2019 at 12:35
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #390
Decided whilst I have the Deox-C knocking about and am planning on doing a run to the platers, I might as well make it worthwhile...

So I stripped the Rallye rear beam.of all it's brackets, nuts, bolts etc.

In they go. I also upped the strength of the Deox-C a bit too.
They say 1kg makes 20ltrs, a 1:20 ratio. Currently I've got 15ltrs of water and 750g of the powder. However, it does say you can go as strong as 1:4! So I chucked the rest of the powder into the plastic tub

Let's see what happens!

Posted 23rd May 2019 at 14:56
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #391
Yeah, that's worked!

Posted 27th May 2019 at 17:20
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #392
Good job on the clean-up of those parts. Nice to see you're back on with this as it's inspirational stuff!

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 28th May 2019 at 08:29
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #393
Back plates the next derusting project. In this pic, I'd given the one on the right the once over with the grinder and wire brush

After 24hrs...

After 48hrs....

Getting there.

Posted 29th May 2019 at 10:56
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #394
Realised I have updated this for a while!

There is a guy I've met via Detailing World who is one of the best welders I've come across. I've been on at him for ages to weld.the Rallye and he finally agreed. So early August, one Sunday morning, he came, had a cup of tea, even refused the offer of a Sunday breakfast sandwich from Mrs_W.

The today, I received the following in the post, waiting for me to get home....

All the months of begging have paid off, somehow!!! There was this other bit of paper too.....it said something about supplying Pink Wafers and frazzles, by the kilo, along with tea....and promptly burst into flames once I'd read it so I couldnt get a pic LOL:LOL:LOL:

In all seriousness, and all joking apart, I'm absolutely over the moon that Danny is willing to weld the Rallye. I'm continually seeing pictures on Facebook and DW of the seriously high quality work he turns out and there is honestly no one else I'd rather trust with this project than him. To top it all off, he's a really, really nice guy as well.

I now need to get busy. I'm mid Xsara VTS stripping, but I also need to have the dash out of the Rallye, and get the sound deadening panels up off the floor so Danny can weld as he needs to. I'm also away this weekend in Anglesey on a driving weekend!

To remove the sound deadening, I'm going with a combo of IPA and dry ice. Plenty of videos on YouTube which show this. Mix the two together, chuck into the floorpan, listen to it cracking as the cold makes it contract and lift off the floor pan and then peel it off, with it hopefully coming off in big chunks, leaving minimal residue.

Posted 2nd Sep 2019 at 09:39
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #395
In light of Danny coming in a couple of weeks, I decided I really should get a move on getting the Rallye ready....so yesterday, I got on with the sound deadening removal.

It needs to come out of the footwells so there is a clean surface for Danny to be able to weld to. The issue with it is, is it stuck down bloody well! It's also bitumen based so is a real pig to remove. I'd had a good read up and as mentioned, dry ice and freezing them off seemed to be the way to go.

eBay got fired up and provided the Isopropyl alcohol. This is used as it speeds up the sublimation process

A local place in Leicester provided the dry ice. 7kg of 3mm pellets, Including polystyrene box, was £20..

Then onto the sciencey bit. I mixed approx half of the dry ice with a late or so of the alcohol and then put it into the footwell....it all went a bit 80's Top of the pops for a bit LOL:

YouTube linky thing I hope

In the video, you can hear it cracking as it separates from the floor pan. That's what I was hoping for. Then it was time to crack on removing it. I used a fairly big flat blade screwdriver for most of it. Generally, it came off ok but it was stubborn in places, calling for some help on the screwdriver from the hammer. Eventually though, it was all off. Some tar type residue left behind but an application of Tardis or suchlike should fix that.

Before/during/after pics:

I need to get back in with a hoover to hoover up all the very small bits that are left, then I can wipe down with Tardis. Generally, I'm very happy indeed. It was fun to do a bit of crazy science type stuff but also helped get what could have been quite a tough job done pretty quickly.

Posted 2nd Sep 2019 at 09:42
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #396
For some reason, I was awake at 5am today and didn't go back to sleep (not been sleeping very well) so by 8am, I was bored. Decided that as the sun was shining, today was dashboard and other bits removal day.

By 8am, I was outside, getting the Rallye down onto axle stands and off the rollover jig. All good.

I know from breaking a 306 and from others experience that taking the dash out of a 306 isn't the nicest or easiest of jobs. Put simply, it's a pain in the ar$e.

So, armed with a guide from the 306 forum found here if anyone wants to read....), I got busy.

Generally, the guide was accurate, aside from a few extra electrical connections I needed to undo before the dash was free. This one in the pic below (white connection, bottom right of the picture) is a famous pain, it's the brake light switch connector but these aside, the dash came out relatively easily and by 10am, I was having a celebratory cup of tea!

So, dash out and we look like this:

The sound deadening panel, which I knew had been cut, turns out to have been cut far more than I realised. All up the passenger side of the footwell, and along the bulkhead. Odd really. Unless someone was trying to remove it and gave up, I'm not sure why it's been cut this way. Still, I've another to go back in.

I then removed the airbox assembly. Now, I know in the cars history, it suffered a heater matrix failure and there is evidence of this all over, with rusty water stains throughout the airbox. It's also clearly been apart, as some of the clips holding the top and bottom halves together are broken. It's also full of blast media.

I'm not happy at all with it so parts man is on the case for a new one.

With that out of the way, I could dismantle the pedal assembly remove and extra layer of sound deadening and then remove the main bulkhead layer of it, leaving me looking like this.

Now, I'd been a bit worried about what I'd find with the small bit of rot in the bulkhead. With everything removed, it's much bigger.

Not realmissue, as I've a repair section cut from a donor car...

Interestingly, it's section made of three layers spot welded together. Be interesting to see how the repair happens with this section...

As everything was removed, I took the opportunity to remove the throttle and lift up reverse cables just to make life easier come paint time.

I found some original unfaded Rallye red!

And I might have had a little helper along the way!

Not much else to do now to prep for the welding!

Posted 2nd Sep 2019 at 09:43
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #397
Danny has asked me to hold of posting pics of the welding until it's all done....

So, the bits I can update on.....if you are an avid reader of this saga (hello fans LOLSmile then you'll know I spent a looooong time removing the whole stiffener panel on the passenger side. Danny and I decided that we'd do things a bit differently on the other side as the secondary chassis leg doesn't really need removing which will cut down the work significantly. With that in mind, Danny instructed me to cut the panel at the chassis leg and he'd take care of the rest. Let the dog see the rabbit so goes the phrase!!

Danny had said the best way to remove the panel was to drill the spot welds. Centre punch each weld, then a 3mm start, then 6mm then 8mm.

So this is what I'm removing. A stoved in stiffener panel, that's had several repairs, over the top of existing rotten metal. It's all coming off.

The panel in places was still very original....the front edge here still with the factory seam sealant.

So I started drilling...the base of this flange (yeah, I said it!) was starting to rot so the grinder sorted that spot weld...

Spot welds drilled out and panel beginning to separate nicely. Really, really satisfying as you get either a screwdriver or the claws of a hammer in-between panels and a gentle 'crack' as the welds give out and they separate....and once I'd cut along the chassis leg, separate it did...

Yeah, it's not nice in here or under...

Cleaned up somewhat...

Then it was about the patches around the chassis leg. Patches over old metal, several times in places....

Once all that was removed, the leg got a good clean up. Still some bits in the corners to do and then I'll Hydrate 80 everything...

Posted 13th Sep 2019 at 21:46
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #398
That’s epically good work Ben. Don’t envy you the task, but fair play.
Posted 14th Sep 2019 at 08:59
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #399
RallyeRed wrote:
That’s epically good work Ben. Don’t envy you the task, but fair play.

Thanks.....it needs doing. No point going to the lengths I am to leave bits like that on it.

I'd hate the prospect of doing these panels without a rollover jig

Posted 14th Sep 2019 at 10:33
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #400
Looking good Ben. Glad to see progress again!

Don't suppose you've seen the Soup Classic Motoring YouTube channel? He does stuff like peeling away panels but in stop frame filming, reminded me of what you've shown here.

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 14th Sep 2019 at 18:40

Pages (17): first .. 15 [16] 17