displaying posts 51 to 75 of 140

Pages (6): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last

Author Subject: Forums broke
devere

Senior User

Post #51
Maybe a couple more mods would help the situation . And maybe it could be implemented that they are each designated a few sub forums each to moderate so it's not down to one person to try and keep the whole site in order..?

The main problem tho, is the only person that can do anything is the captain, and he seemingly doesn't care enough to actually want to do anything? So of he wants to keep the forum running, then surely the team in charge of the site need the power to actually do stuff with the upkeep etc.

Everyone likes this forum, and it's very very useful. But what is there to keep people happy when problems aren't resolved and general site maintenance is overlooked. It's just the little details to do with the way it's run that if they were in order, would make it a far happier place!

It's been invaluable to me, and I enjoy coming on here even tho I'm not a huge poster. I won't leave the site unless it is taken offline, but just the little things are frustrating, as it's so obvious what needs to change.
Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 23:34
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #52
Yeah the moderator situation is lacking.

There was a picture of a penis here for a good 3 days within an active thread. It went unnoticed because the title presumably wasn't something that would be of interest to any of the moderators. Despite noticing reports it wasn't noticed, hence why back along I asked how the report system worked - are threads displayed in order of number of reports. Due to the coding I imagine not and it's probably down to the mod eyeballing the figure in the corner or waiting until it's a up locked at 5 hits.

Mods ALL need to be active to work.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 08:00
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #53
    Even so, it's more than them being active - no-one can expect the moderators to read through every reply to every thread - they all have jobs and this is an unpaid hobby.

What they need are the correct tools for the job - the "Report Thread" button shouldn't be for users to lock threads (that's the stupidest idea imaginable) but should just alert a mod - "so and so has reported this post - here it is. Click this button to lock the thread". If it were that simple I'd imagine there'd be more moderation, but I'm guessing it's not that easy.

Users should report problem threads to mods, who should be able to deal with them swiftly. That's how every other forum in the world works.

I don't blame the mods on here in the slightest as their reply is often just "I don't have the power to do that".

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 08:12
    buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #54
    What's wrong with a penis?
    This sites full of them?

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
    Moonstone phase 7 gti6
    My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 13:16
    buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
    U asked for pics and length eg LOL and you got them

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 13:29
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #56
    Ok, I thought I'd let you all know I've contacted Ash to notify him of the situation - hopefully he'll be able to fix it fairly swiftly. Smile

There are some good posts above by Dan and Owain highlighting pretty much exactly how the situation is. Dan you're spot on with the way in which the reporting of threads works and as such, moderating every single reply on every single thread is extremely time consuming and difficult.

I do totally agree that changes need to be made and I for one would welcome being able to have more power to create the changes which people have asked for. Sadly, there just isn't that opportunity.

Anyway, hopefully once Ash can have a look - the forum should be back up and running correctly. Thumbs up

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
    Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 14:01
    buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
    :yawn

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 14:16
    jeffers Forum Admin

Post #58
    buzzbrightyear wrote:
    :yawn

As usual an adult comment.

Team Running Engine again!
    Team Negative Camber!
    My Budget track engine build thread!
    Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 14:21
    gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #59
    I'd never seen a penis wearing a red shirt until I joined this site
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 14:22
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #60
    pebbles167 wrote:
    Even useful threads get deleted. There really is no need for it. 306oc does better and is free. 306gti6 owner ash isnt really about, and admin duties are left pretty much solely to Stan. 306oc forum owner is an active member and keeps a solid admin team. In fact, I went for a beer with him and a few friends last week and we all took our 6's for an evening drive.

Besides, its all about the gti7.club now Wink

OC is free because the owners actually give a f**k about what people want unlike the owner on here who is just out to line his own pocket and have to do no work for it.
    Its a shame really because there is great community of people on here but in order to carry on, these people need somewhere to talk and when that doesn't work, people will move on. Simples.
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 21:27
    scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #61
    It appears a good few have already moved on Ninja

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 21:34
    steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
    I like this forum, long live the 6 and Rallye ! Hope it gets sorted out.

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 21:37
    scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #63
    long live the 7

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 21:38
    pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #64
    If only I could copy my dimma project thread over to oc I would be long gone, I'm fed up of paying for a service that is s**t and with hardly any members compared to what it used to be like, I can't see this place lasting much longer
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 21:39
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #65
    You can mate Smile Whats your username over there as well?
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 21:46
    pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #66
    Same as on here but as iv never posted I don't think I can do a lot which puts me off using it
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 22:13
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #67
    The only thing your restricted from doing is posting in the for sale section until you reach 100 posts and the only reason is to try and drown out '1 post wonder' scammers (just like here we pay before we can sell).
    But seeing as your a well known member here anyway and not just some randomer, ill take the restrictions off your account anyway Smile
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 22:18
    pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #68
    Nice one buddy, I'll start using it now then, been a member for a good few years now, just never had the time to post on both or work out how to use it to its full potential, guess I better start learning how to post pics etc
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 22:26
    MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #69
    Just signed up here recently. And have to say it was worth the £5 in the first week. I can't comment on past issues. But the index not working makes no sense. It's an easy fix. I haven't seen much need for mods around here. But there sure is a need for a few people with admin access.

BTW i created a forum in 4 days a few year back. It's not all that difficult. I used SiteGround and added Tiny Portal. If doing it again, i'd do things differently. But it's hardly ever down (usually a hosting issue). This seems to me like a change was made to the index.php which should have been rolled back ages ago. But i'm guessing.

PS GTI7 needs a bit of work too https://gti7.club/Forums/GTI6/54/help-needed/1?d=t

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 22:45
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #70
    Its easy to use mate. More so than here. Whilst i can appreciate that Ash built this site from scratch and we are only using a software package, sometimes things are best left to the companies who can invest ££££ into it!
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 22:45
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #71
    0wain created Gti7.club in Frontpage and look how well that bad boy is doing.

• Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 23:32
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #72
    dangti6 wrote:
    0wain created Gti7.club in Frontpage and look how well that bad boy is doing.

True. Difference between GTi7 and here though is that Owain is taking interest and can change things when needs be. Here, if ash was to change something, it would involve changing code unlike OC where its just a drop down or tick box
    Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 23:49
    adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #73
    Niall wrote:
    pebbles167 wrote:
    Even useful threads get deleted. There really is no need for it. 306oc does better and is free. 306gti6 owner ash isnt really about, and admin duties are left pretty much solely to Stan. 306oc forum owner is an active member and keeps a solid admin team. In fact, I went for a beer with him and a few friends last week and we all took our 6's for an evening drive.

Besides, its all about the gti7.club now Wink

OC is free because the owners actually give a f**k about what people want unlike the owner on here who is just out to line his own pocket and have to do no work for it.
    Its a shame really because there is great community of people on here but in order to carry on, these people need somewhere to talk and when that doesn't work, people will move on. Simples.

I've just joined too Smile

Nothing to see here
    Posted 22nd Aug 2014 at 00:25
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #74
    The beauty of a custom forum is the ability to tailor it to be exactly what you want. Unfortunately that stops being an advantage to all when it's left as is and not continually tailored to suit the needs of most.

306oc is a package with limitations to a degree.

• Posted 22nd Aug 2014 at 00:25
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #75
    dangti6 wrote:
    The beauty of a custom forum is the ability to tailor it to be exactly what you want. Unfortunately that stops being an advantage to all when it's left as is and not continually tailored to suit the needs of most.

306oc is a package with limitations to a degree.

Completely agree. Like i say, i can really appreciate what Ash has done here. I wouldn't know where to start but was it needed? Personally i don't think so for a car forum which only needs basic functions.
    OC runs on MYBB and there is countless plugins out there for it which can do virtually anything you like!

Adam, ill sort your account tonight so you don't have limited access Smile
    Posted 22nd Aug 2014 at 08:11

Pages (6): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last