displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: ARB's and TB's
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #1
Hi folks. Trying to get a handle on the relationship between the rear ARB and TB sizes. I see a lot of folks just fitting thicker TB's but dont see many fitting a larger ARB.

I have a spare Rallye rear beam with what I believe to be std size TB's and ARB. In terms of handling upgrades what would be a typical setup for track action?? I see folks fitting 23mm TB's but unsure as to what other ARB and TB options exist and, more importantly, what WORKS and what does't!!

I have a free reign in terms of what I can do to this spare beam so any advice/recommendations on upgrades would be very much appreciated Thumbs up

TT
Posted 22nd Apr 2014 at 23:35
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Hhmmm I have a beam just sat round doing nothing so be intresting to watch this thread lol il be getting my beam goodies soon. You replace all the bearings and seals too?? Im looking for a good place to get the beam repair kits from but unsure??

I was lookin at 21mm torsion bars and maybe hybrid antiroll bar which I think is 27.5mm one end 30 another but someone will know!

cherry rallye daily (the money pit)
Posted 22nd Apr 2014 at 23:54
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Depends what you have on the front, stiffer on the front means you'll need stiffer on the back. 23.5 goes with around 400lb on the front. A 30mm ARB is supposed to be better than the hybrids, apparently the thicket bar means each wheel acts more indepentantly

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 23rd Apr 2014 at 20:37
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I agree with Jamie. A reasonable beginner track setup would be coilies up front with 400lb springs, 23.5mm rear TBs and a full 30mm rear ARB. I run a hybrid ARB with this setup and it feels great (front camber though as well).

Rallye Race Car
Posted 23rd Apr 2014 at 20:42
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #5
demondriverdan wrote:
I agree with Jamie. A reasonable beginner track setup would be coilies up front with 400lb springs, 23.5mm rear TBs and a full 30mm rear ARB. I run a hybrid ARB with this setup and it feels great (front camber though as well).

So these 23.5 TB's and 30mm ARB...... Are these custom only or were they found on any suitable vehicle??

TT
Posted 23rd Apr 2014 at 21:09
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Also, is this all dependant on vehicle weight? Stiffening it all up and reducing the weight dramatically, surely would end up being too solid...?

DIABLO GTI-6 - Legend - NILE GTI-6 - Sold
CHERRY GTI-6 P1 SUPERCHARGED - Broken up
BLACK RALLYE - Sold
205 Dturbo xud9 work horse - Dead
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 23rd Apr 2014 at 21:15
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
You can't massively shave weight off, so I can't see if being to much of s problem.

They are custom units but come up quite often although I want the next set that come up!

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 23rd Apr 2014 at 21:20
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You can't massively shave weight off, so I can't see if being to much of s problem.

They are custom units but come up quite often although I want the next set that come up!

Lol, ok well i wont be able to afford any of that fancy stuff untill later in the year anyway so i'll keep doing my research Smile

BLACK RALLYE - Sold
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 23rd Apr 2014 at 21:54
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
How about the 21mm tb's? Surely they must be a happy medium and easier to come by too. I see a set for sale on here for £85 delivered...

BLACK RALLYE - Sold
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 23rd Apr 2014 at 21:57
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #10
3rd time lucky wrote:
How about the 21mm tb's? Surely they must be a happy medium and easier to come by too. I see a set for sale on here for £85 delivered...

I run 21mm TB's with a 30mm arb in my track car with 325 springs up front and it handles nice, if the car is for road use and occasional track work personally I wouldn't use any stiffer springs or torsion bars but it's all personal preference I suppose....

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 23rd Apr 2014 at 22:00
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Yeah 21s are alright for track but also fine for road. 23.t is too much on the road.
Depends how much track use you want to get out of the car. They are from a xsara vts bar so very common

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 23rd Apr 2014 at 22:01
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
21mm bars are easy to find. I bought my 23.5mm TBs and hybrid ARB brand new as part of a group buy last year. The 23.5mm bars come up every now and again but not very often.

I'll be moving up to 25mm TBs and a 30mm ARB at the end of the year probably.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 23rd Apr 2014 at 22:10
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
jeffers wrote:
3rd time lucky wrote:

I run 21mm TB's with a 30mm arb in my track car with 325 springs up front and it handles nice, if the car is for road use and occasional track work personally I wouldn't use any stiffer springs or torsion bars but it's all personal preference I suppose....

+1 although I'm using slightly softer front springs, 15" tyres with a fairly light car.
Hate over-sprung cars...

Nothing to see here
Posted 23rd Apr 2014 at 22:30
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #14
Car will be 80% road with 20% track..... It will be std weight and has brand new B4's and -30mm Apex springs up front.

From what's been said I'm thinking 21mm TB's with the std 24mm ARB is the way forward. Not looking to set the world on fire or create a track monster....that's what my Skyline is for!!!

TT
Posted 23rd Apr 2014 at 23:33
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #15
tarmac terror wrote:
Car will be 80% road with 20% track..... It will be std weight and has brand new B4's and -30mm Apex springs up front.

From what's been said I'm thinking 21mm TB's with the std 24mm ARB is the way forward. Not looking to set the world on fire or create a track monster....that's what my Skyline is for!!!

TT

Sounds like a good start, get some 21mm TB's then see how it feels! Thumbs up

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 24th Apr 2014 at 05:16