displaying posts 26 to 37 of 37

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: platinum in the cat?
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Do you have any info on your HHO welder?

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 22nd Aug 2013 at 01:22
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
jimmyhackers wrote:

shame about the proof part, look like i will just have to have a lump of unrefined platinum lying about for the fun of it

No, you'll have a mix of 3-4 oxidised catalysts in a lump that's worthless.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 22nd Aug 2013 at 01:26
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
smegal wrote:
Do you have any info on your HHO welder?

the cells cost a fortune. there are two 54 plate dry cells powered by a 800watt pc power supply with a 1 litre bubler resevoir. i use a pair of flashbacks. my gun is a compressed air blow gun with a modified nozzle.

i used distilled water and about a teaspoon of %99.9 sodium hydroxide (the burning powered put on the guys hands in fight cluCool

it draws around 15-30 amps @ 12v per cell depending on electrolyte tempreture and i get 7-8 litre of gas per minute from each cell. apparently this volume of gas could be doubled with no extra power with a PWM
but id need to buy two and had already spent enough on it.

my gas production is usually sufficient but i have also added a small air compressor to the system to add a bit more air and pressure to get a bigger flame if needed.

the flame....well hydrogen burns at 3500 degrees C oxy acet burns at around 2500-3000
i dont have a thermometer to check that out but it can melt steel, glass, iron, stone, copper, aluminium and even fuse dissimilar items together like a nail to a lump of rock.

the larger/thicker/more heat conductive the material the longer it takes to cut/heat up.
it by no means can do the volume of gas a set of big of oxyacetbottles could do.

but its a hell of a lot less dangerous, more compact and cheaper to run.

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 22nd Aug 2013 at 18:12
mr west

Senior User

Post #29
quote:

No, you'll have a mix of 3-4 oxidised catalysts in a lump that's worthless.

Thumbs up

without the vacuumed pure environment and with the introduction of chlorine and solarium to rise impurities out you just have a non descript alloy. also if you cannot control the temp you run the risk of evaporating high pgm content off. (small particals,low mass,low evaparation point)
and an even bigger risk of blowing your face off if by any chance there is any aluminium in it. or any alloy with alli in it(many steels do) very few things these days are pure.
a tiny piece of alli got into a melt at work once and almost killed 3 people. all had to attend hospital with damaged eyes from flash and bleeding ears. there is still bits of metal in the celin
however I applaud your enthusiasm

white rallye
cherry dead rallye
s16
Posted 22nd Aug 2013 at 19:23
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
thanks for this info....im yet to have a smelting explosion. i always have gloves n goggle on when i use my torch anyways.

i think on the scales im working in it will be less of an explosion and more of a wet fizzle if it was ever to happen.

and on the impurities side.....its probably full of them. in the ball you can see a distinction between the materials. in the balls little molten state gravity/density seems to of crudly layered them out.

i have a ball of copper/gold from about a million pc parts i butchered. that too is layered with a majority of copper at the top but towards the bottom the gold colour increases. also the hardness of the metal lessens much like gold is softer than copper.

and the alli explosion....is that possibly like a thermite reaction? aluminum and iron oxide?

ive made this before for a laugh. its mad how just rust and powdered alluminium and so voilatile and destructive.

Posted 23rd Aug 2013 at 01:08
mr west

Senior User

Post #31
Yeah it is quite scary how easy stable things become dangerous. As for metals of different gravity yes they will separate nut when you are working with things like pt, pd, ni the gravity is very similar and all are pretty much the same shade. Pt deeper darker shiny er. Pd, ni bit flater and more grey. If they do divide a bit you'll need someone with an xrf gun to determine whats in it then check your periodic table for what is where. But you should expect more of a pea than a ball. A gram of pt is the size of a grain of rice

white rallye
cherry dead rallye
s16
Posted 23rd Aug 2013 at 09:03
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #32
Cheap asses just go buy her a ring! Razz

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 23rd Aug 2013 at 09:06
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
i need to find a woman first Big grin

Posted 23rd Aug 2013 at 13:50
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
and id still make her a ring. like hell i want some sweatshop argos tat

Posted 23rd Aug 2013 at 13:51
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #35
I love how those are the only two options.
Posted 23rd Aug 2013 at 15:45
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #36
You mean there are more than either Argos or DIY as an option? Shock
I got me a woman,..
I might just see how long I can go without getting one LOL

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 23rd Aug 2013 at 18:44
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Amateurs, this is how you do an engagment ring:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/mechanical-diamond-engagement-ring-177590/

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 23rd Aug 2013 at 18:59

Pages (2): 1 [2]