displaying posts 1 to 25 of 81

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: Reinventing the Wheel
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I have just got back from a couple of Cheers at lunch and the conversation revolved around how my company constantly improves its technology and updates it’s plants so that we can offer the best service to customers. Now that’s fairly boring but it got me thinking, if I was to build a Peugeot 306 these days what would I do to improve it? We all know it’s pretty perfect as standard Whistle but if I were to buy the designs and start churning out the 306 again what would a customer want to see?

Let’s bear in mind the budget cannot be ridiculous and it cannot be too hardcore No No let’s say we were aiming for the 306 equivalent of the Singer 911 that was on Topgear at the weekend (but not quite as expensive Unsure)

Discuss Geek

Just Drive It
Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:10
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
When I saw the title I thought this was a jimmy hackers thread.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:14
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #3
Bonnet isn't pedestrian friendly so would never be allowed. /thread.

Party pooper FTW.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:16
    ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #4
    Cam chain would be a start.

Less than 24 hours to go!
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:17
    mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
    I really liked that Singer 911 on Top Gear.

The 306 is a nice looking car, much better than those awful ugly overstyled things they make now.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:19
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #6
    When you build the Rallye, could you please actually make it a bit more special? Perhaps lose the ABS. Widen the track, different spoiler, better splitter etc.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:25
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
    ian7675 wrote:

sod cam chains, that's the main cause of the problems with the current PSA engines Laugh my ass off

better pistons, more compact gearbox, upright rear dampers.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:29
    rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
    buzzbrightyear wrote:

LOL I don't smoke Smoke Well not for years anyway. The drink may have clouded my judgment however...

Just Drive It
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:31
    pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
    Stronger pulleys and idlers. -25 mm ride height and 16" cyclones as standard. Subtle Rear diffuser. Slightly more snazzy wheel arches perhaps, better made aircon pipes.

Interior.. I still think a phase 3 interior is nicer that most modern 306 equivalents on the market currently, so no change there.

I guess that just about covers it for me Smile

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:32
    rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
    dangti6 wrote:
    When you build the Rallye, could you please actually make it a bit more special? Perhaps lose the ABS. Widen the track, different spoiler, better splitter etc.

These are good Yes I agree that the Rallye is not special enough. Ditching the ABS may be a lot to ask for though, i can have a play around with it though.

Just Drive It
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:33
    rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    welshpug! wrote:
    ian7675 wrote:

sod cam chains, that's the main cause of the problems with the current PSA engines Laugh my ass off

better pistons, more compact gearbox, upright rear dampers.

Engine wise i guess we would go with one of the PSA/Mini jobs Dunno What's the gearbox like with them?

Rear dampers for sure, fairly cheap and simple to do now. Maybe i won't be chating to PhillipM about supplying me though hehe. Did he ever get those finished? Would have to give him a job though, he's like Macgyver locked in a shed Ninja

Just Drive It
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:37
    rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
    pebbles167 wrote:
    Stronger pulleys and idlers. -25 mm ride height and 16" cyclones as standard. Subtle Rear diffuser. Slightly more snazzy wheel arches perhaps, better made aircon pipes.

Interior.. I still think a phase 3 interior is nicer that most modern 306 equivalents on the market currently, so no change there.

I guess that just about covers it for me Smile

Yes Thumbs up

Not sure i completely agree on the interior though. While it generally has aged well i think the materials used could perhaps be improved and some more sporty seats would be nice. The 306 lacks a decent finish, still trying to figure out the best way to repair the air bulge in my dash Doh

Just Drive It
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:40
    phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
    Rework the underside for aero, rework the rear beam (it's a heavy POS) and run a better ratio on the dampers, probably widen the track under some flared arches, and lengthen the wheelbase slightly to match newer cars in it's class for size. Do that at the front by running the subframe in front of the engine so you can pull the engine back and down a few inches.
    Drop the heavy calipers up front for 4-pots with suitable pads, and slap a better caliper on the rear so the bloody handbrake works.
    Have someone with half a clue redo the wiring looms, and finally strengthen the sills and the a-pillars as there's a fair bit of chassis flex, and the bulkhead behind the master cylinder so it doesn't try to pop out of the grill when you hit the brakes hard.
    And then have some decent rustproofing and paint on the damned things so the sills, roof and rear arches don't get tinworm/lacquer peel.

I would love to get hold of a brand new shell, and about 10 grand of spare cash to build one LOL

And yes you cheeky bas**rd, I did get the rear Foxes finished, they've just been floating around on various garage queens for the past few years LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
    Email me!
    Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:45
    rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
    phillipm wrote:

And yes you cheeky bas**rd, I did get the rear Foxes finished, they've just been floating around on various garage queens for the past few years LOL

You are on the official supplier list Thumbs up

Would you go with upper and lower strutbraces as standard?

Just Drive It
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:47
    phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
    I'd go with a new/stiffer lower subframe and some sheet metal work to tie the upper mounts into the chassis better in the first place

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
    Email me!
    Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:49
    mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
    The 306 dash I always thought wasn't great, maybe a better one of those. On the outside it is still a great looking car though.

For the Rallye version the fol differences from the standard GTI: 16" C5 lightweight "steelie" alloys painted some sort of grey colour. Maybe some extra chassis stiffening and better torsional rigidity like seam welded subframe and an upper strut brace. VTS 2.4 turn lock-to-lock steering rack. And 10 - 20 more bhp/lb ft than the standard GTI to differentiate it, as well as 20mm lower and standard Bilsteins. Maybe a half-leather interior with Rallye flash centres. Red seat belts. Decent leather steering wheel with thumb grips. Slightly widened wheel arches to go with the wider track. Black mask headlights.

EDIT: some people got in with similar ideas to those in this post while I was typing. Also agree with better underbody aero. I'm doing some of that with mine.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:56
    pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
    I think jamma started a thread like this a while back and ended up getting flamed LOL I think he was wondering why pug haven't re released the 306.

Some nice ideas here, wouldn't widening the track be fairly expensive for peugeot?, as the 6 would be a proper stand alone model then.

Oh another thing to ad, I'd love it if they made 6's in agean blue! Love

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 16:53
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
    More modern dash. Loose the gear linkage system in favour for a cable system. Maybe a hydraulic clutch (although not as stupidly light as most modern cars). Seats i would change as little as possible styling wise but they need more support especially for us taller people!
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 17:06
    jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
    most of whats needed already been said....

but tbh most modern cars.....have a ipod conector or bluetooth....basically a fancy stereo and not a lot else more than wat the gti has already.

a work college (woman) asked my why i dont want a nice new car. and like topgear explained. for 400 quid i get some ballaches, but i also get leather seats, electric windows, air-con, and the ownership of a classic. i told her try to get an equivalent spec showroom car for less than 10grand. even after what i spent fixing it im nowhere near 10 grand. i think she cottened on after that.

i prefer the phase one styling myself, inside and out, it just looks more retro/classic.....all offense to the phase 2 and 3 as they look like they were aesthetically softened up in the re-designing room by a woman. colour coding bumpers and the softened up bodywork lines turned the gti in a girly looking car.

only thing i like on the later phases is the stealth-speaker parcel shelf.

p.s. also a steering wheel colum that extends would be nice

the world is changed by people in sheds
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 17:15
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
    Oh and proper steering wheel controls and maybe a nice perforated leather steering wheel with grips. But like the 206 gti wheel.
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 17:23
    phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
    pebbles167 wrote:

Some nice ideas here, wouldn't widening the track be fairly expensive for peugeot?, as the 6 would be a proper stand alone model then.

Nah, couple of wider arches is the worst, mechanically it's pretty simple.

Email me!
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 17:24
    rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
    200hp/180lbft, Quiafe diff, 4pots, quick rack, -25mm, better dampers, nice recaro seats, deeper dish and smaller steering wheel, stiffer shell.

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
    309 3dr K20 Type R
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 18:04
    daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
    buzzbrightyear wrote:

+1 LOL

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 18:12
    jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
    i too have the dream of them re releasing the 306

the world is changed by people in sheds
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 18:29
    buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
    lose the s**tty rear beam and Gordon bars and have struts and coil springs

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
    Moonstone phase 7 gti6
    My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
    Posted 2nd Aug 2013 at 19:01

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last