displaying posts 1 to 25 of 104

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: 306 Gti 6 modest budget Racing Project.
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Morning guys,

Thought I'd start a post in here, as it seems like the best place to start.

I've owned my 6 since October 2009, we've had highs (ferrying myself and my daughter around faultlessly for years)and lows (binning it at combe a few weeks back) but its arguably still the best vehicle I've ever had. Since I was a kid I've always wanted to race cars, and I think now the time has come.

For many people, racing seems an unreachable task, I'm hoping to disprove that.

The point I'm making here is that ill be racing on a budget (not dangerously low) and hopefully this will give those of you out there questioning weather you can race or not, the chance to see what I'm spending and how that money is being spent. I will be putting prices up of every bit of kit I buy, and every penny I spend.

Although I'm a semi trained mechanic, I'm not especially good at it, so ill be working closely with a group of friends and will hopefully get the forums support! I've been following owains "track cars for dummies" thread as much as possible!

After a brief talk with Carl chambers, I've decided to join the "classic sports car club" and enter my car into their "tin tops" series.

First things first, get a national b racing licence.

Watch this space, pics and videos to follow.

Cheers, pebbles Thumbs up.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 13th May 2013 at 08:45
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Interesting little project, you'll have to show the cost spent to race wins ratio!

I think that's the issue for most. You spent a lot of money getting to be able to race, but how many expensive seasons are you going to race at the back of the grid? I'd imagine, depending on class regs, you'll be wanting some wins and needing longer arms?

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 13th May 2013 at 09:21
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I can't imagine ill win anything, ill be in class A with a standard engine. My first season will likely be raced without engine upgrades.

Winning isn't necessarily my goal. I'll be having a lot if fun midfield with some of the other stockers, or modified smaller cars Thumbs up.

I've spent a fair wedge on parts so far, and I aim to update this thread with pictures and or video's weekly at the minimum, daily when needed.

Cheers for the interest. Thumbs up.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 13th May 2013 at 09:28
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Well, as I'm wanting to do this, I'm very interested.

Class A for 2.0+? Which series you wanting to race in?

My biggest issue with racing is that once you've spent the cash on the car, licence etc... you've paid your entry fee's for your local race, completed the race with minimal damage and had loads of fun.

Then the next date is at a circuit which is 200miles away, so then you try and factor in the petrol costs to actually get to the circuit's gates and all of a sudden, your months pay packet has vanished

Posted 13th May 2013 at 09:37
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
It's called "CSCC tin tops" maximum allowed engine size is 2000cc. Engine mods are pretty free though, so a few of the cars run high power. I wanted to race in the saloon car championship at castle combe, but I wouldnt be competitive at all, and would look a joke, even the bottom class d 1400cc cars often have 180+ bhp!!

I see what you're saying about fuel. You could team up with a mate and share costs?

Check the cscc website for details, and also have a look at Carl chambers threadYes

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 13th May 2013 at 10:03
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I thought Tin Tops, seems like any class running 2litres means (standard) 306's get given a hard time.

I'm actually trying to talk myself into racing rotax karts, but just can't seem to justify the budget racing to finish mid-pack, I'm quick at our local track, but everyone else will have faster karts and less of a belly! haha

Posted 13th May 2013 at 11:05
Jake

Regular

Post #7
I'm just getting everyting in place to start racing too, i'll be ordering my 'Go racing' pack from the MSA when I get home tonight so i can then arrange the ARDS test.

I'll keep a close eye on this thread.

Good luck!

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 13th May 2013 at 12:12
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Good look, I'll be keeping an eye on this as it's something I'd love to do too

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 13th May 2013 at 12:29
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Will watch this thread as similar to what id like to do. My mate is actually looking to do tin tops prob next year so will go along a but with him so hopefully see you out there
Posted 13th May 2013 at 12:56
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Would love to race but just cant afford it Sad

Looking into sprint racing as its much cheaper, and I guess a good starting point. Best of luck with it though Thumbs up

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 13th May 2013 at 12:58
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #11
CSCC is probably where mine will end up too if I ever finish it.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 13th May 2013 at 13:01
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #12
daver6 wrote:
Interesting little project, you'll have to show the cost spent to race wins ratio!

I think that's the issue for most. You spent a lot of money getting to be able to race, but how many expensive seasons are you going to race at the back of the grid? I'd imagine, depending on class regs, you'll be wanting some wins and needing longer arms?

A lot of people say this, but only on guy gets to win the race or championship, this doesn't stop the twenty other guys from turning up to race does it? At club level you are all there to have a good time and enjoy the racing, at first you will have a hell of a battle with the tail enders just to try and avoid coming in last, and probably enjoy the race more than the guys who came second and third.
You need a full season or two to learn the ropes and stay out of trouble as cheaply as possible before you start to worry about being competitive (especially if you are trying to do things on a budget)
Face it, if there are ex BTCC cars on the same grid and in the same class as you then you aren't going to be vying for wins.
Just keep it on the island and have fun.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 13th May 2013 at 13:08
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #13
Why do cscc when combe is so close?

They do up to 1800 as well as 2000, which may work better tbh as its a bit lighter lump, not a lot though.

Before racing though i would get on some trackdays and get tuition, given your recent escapades...

Learn how to stay on the black stuff Razz

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th May 2013 at 13:24
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Thanks for Tue wishes of luck guys, ill need it! Smile

Mei, I wanted to do saloon car championship, but I DEFINITELY wouldn't be competitive. Every one of the cars has immense power in that series, and getting my car to similar spec would just be out of ny budget.

With the cscc ill have the chance to race against a few stockers and lower powered cars. Besides, its unlikely that ill be able to attend every single race meeting, so ill be picking and choosing which ones to attend.

Anyway, updates! Big grin

MSA starter pack ordered - £50, also drove down to the CSCC hq at lunch, had a chat and joined the club - £39. Spot on bunch of people in their office, very friendly and eager to help Smile

Various bits ordered from demontweeks:

SPARCO seat, - £165
SPARCO 4 point harness, - £148
OMP wheel, - £126
OMP Boss - £51
OMP 6 point bolt in cage, - £539
TRS tow strap, - £15
OMP extinguisher - £50

Prices are not exact on this lot, I'm at work and can't remember how much I spent Doh will update later this evening.

EDIT* Prices now correct.

Also recently bought:

Slam panel, crystals, rad, bumper, from Mr tug pudding - £90
GAZ GHA coilovers and rear dampers - £300

Still need a lot of other bits but that's it for now Smile

Cheers for the interest Thumbs up.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 13th May 2013 at 14:14
jammapic

Senior User

Post #15
Very interesting stuff, I'll be watching this keenly.

I'm eager to get back in to racing after 10 years since I lined up on the grid. Started out with karts and then went up to single seater open wheel. Eventually, Dad started a new business venture so I felt it was time to stop using his money to go racing and haven't done it since.

I'd be tempted to join myself if you do it on the cheap - at least I'd know there was another car I could contend with!!

JP

HDI Engine Tuning / Remapping Services - https://www.facebook.com/dervtech

306 GTi-6 Track Car - 200+ hp all N/A!
306 DTurbo Track beasty - 209.9hp - RIP
Posted 13th May 2013 at 14:28
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Could always use a teammate dude Smile

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 13th May 2013 at 20:00
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Nice work and good luck.

I've always fancied a go at racing but suspect it would bankrupt me more than the car does already only doing a few trackdays a year.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 13th May 2013 at 20:01
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #18
It doesn't appear that you'll be competitive in the championship you're aiming on either.

Please buy decent safety gear. Is the seat you've got the metal framed Sparco Sprint? That'll be like sitting on a Corby trouser press. I presume your harness is a clubman with the 2" yellow lap pads. Isn't going to be comfortable.

Open pit track days for a season to develop your car wouldn't be a bad idea.

I get the impression the series you will run will contain people on a budget who are just happy to be there racing, and people who will throw money where they don't even understand where it goes.

I know someone who races at Combe. Car didn't cost a great deal to get competitive in his class.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 13th May 2013 at 20:10
    pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
    When I say "competitive" I mean racing against others, not winning.

You're right though, most people in the series will just be there enjoying themselves, as will I be hopefully. That's the point.

You're right about my gear, its not the best. But its decent stuff, fully FIA legal, and good value for money. I haven't got £300 to use on a seat unfortunately Sad not if I want everything else too.

I go to all the saloon car race meeting, I'm often in the pits browsing the cars and chatting with the owners. My mechanic friends boss is tony Hutchins (500bhp TT) and he's often chatting to will Di Claudio (240bhp 106) I'm informed that pretty much every car in that series woukd dick mine. Id rather not just sit at the back getting lapped.

I can't afford engine mods this season, next season though... Big grin

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
    Posted 13th May 2013 at 20:24
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #20
    wills 106 is not 240 bhp, its under 230, the Yellow astra is circa 270, the turbo leon over 500.

CSCC is even bigger budget, you could not run an ex-touring car 3065 at combe due to the regs.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th May 2013 at 20:28
    pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
    Oh, didn't know that, but still. Big power!

Yeah you're right mei, the regs are not as tight in CSCC. But in the tin tops not everyone is at the limit, several are stock.

In the saloons, pretty much everything has around 200bhp.

Oh and that astra, Wyatt's one. What a machine! And yeah that Leon is something else entirely.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
    Posted 13th May 2013 at 20:32
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #22
    yeah, Leon has big power, but it's only just quicker than something with half the power LOL

Wyatt's Astra has had a LOT of chassis work recently, which has knocked a big chunk off his lap times.

Chassis setup is a big part of it at Combe, as you'd probably find anywhere else too, Satchell chassis FTW Wink

There is Class D at combe for stock engines which is where the integra is running Doh really a pug isn't the car to have unless you spend a lot in any series.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th May 2013 at 20:38
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #23
    Class D must be where matey runs his ZR. Stock engine and has to run road certain tyres I believe.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 13th May 2013 at 20:40
    pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
    Oh, I didn't know there was a stock class. Well there's no reason I can't join 2 series right?

Very interesting Yes

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
    Posted 13th May 2013 at 20:41
    RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
    If the saloon car championship is the one I think you're referring to, the motorsport team I worked at last summer entered on of their fully race-prepped 350zs in it at snetterton for someone high up in nismo to have a go in. It wasn't the quickest car on the grid either.

Lots of 205s and saxos as well though. There was a guy in a relatively standard Mr2 getting lapped.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
    Posted 13th May 2013 at 20:45

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 .. last