displaying posts 1 to 25 of 65

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: E36 BMW 325i
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I realise that all of you live for the 306, but has anyone ever driven an E36 shape BMW 325i saloon?
How do they compare in terms of fun to a '6? There are plenty of reviews raving about the driving experience, but it's difficult to compare.
Has anyone driven one with an LSD?

Thanks.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 29th Mar 2013 at 16:41
rikky 🦔

Post #2
i would go for the 328i sport if you're considering something like that but even so they aren't much quicker than the 6 at all. and even then i'd always feel like i'd wish i had got the e36 m3 Yes

i had an e36 m3 and would buy another in a heartbeat, but they aren't the same as a 328 or 325, obviously

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 29th Mar 2013 at 18:31
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #3
^^^ This. I bought an E46 320i for knocking around in and all I can think of whenever I drive it is how much better it would be if it was an M3.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 29th Mar 2013 at 18:52
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
rikky wrote:
i would go for the 328i sport if you're considering something like that but even so they aren't much quicker than the 6 at all. and even then i'd always feel like i'd wish i had got the e36 m3 Yes

i had an e36 m3 and would buy another in a heartbeat, but they aren't the same as a 328 or 325, obviously

I can't afford to buy nor insure an M3, I'm 21. LOL
The fastest car I've owned is/was my '6 so I doubt I'd be comparing it to an m3. I'm basically just considering options for replacing the '6 if I can't get it fixed, and if I got a '6 in worse condition then I'd constantly be comparing it to the crashed one (not my fault, before people saying I'm a young driver who shouldn't have such cars). Thumbs up

I've found a few 325is in good condition with low miles for similar money to a '6, and was just wondering whether or not I'd hate it after swapping into it from a '6. Obviously I'd test drive it and see, just wondering whether it is even worth going to the effort.

It might be the case that insurance would be too silly even on a 325i though, as young drivers and old 3 series always attract high premiums.

Posted 29th Mar 2013 at 19:43
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
keep the 6 Thumbs up

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th Mar 2013 at 20:12
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
The 328's are just about as quick as a 6, m50 inlet manifold, decats, exhaust and a remap will see you with 230-240bhp, makes for a cheap drifter, but they a bit of a barge.

My mates 328bhp e36 m3 was as fast as my high boost sc Dimma, but no wonder, it wasn't actually over 400bhp like the magic rr'd said lol

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 29th Mar 2013 at 20:19
devere

Senior User

Post #7
I cant comment on the 325 model, but I do own an E36 M3 EVO. Comes with an LSD, and great fun to drive! So comfy, yet damn fast. The rear end can be pretty sketchy tho!
Posted 29th Mar 2013 at 20:48
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
welshpug! wrote:
keep the 6 Thumbs up

I will if I can find someone to fix it.

I "fixed" it, and the front bumper is touching the front right wheel. Think I might have cocked it up a bit. LOL

Posted 29th Mar 2013 at 21:28
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
^^^^^

Bent chassis leg??

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 00:10
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
mattgti6phase2 wrote:
^^^^^

Bent chassis leg??

You can see the damage here:
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=153833

The bumper mount is quite displaced, it is possible that the chassis leg is also bent but the major problems lie with the mount I think.

Also, it turns out even E46 shape 323s and 325s are going for similar money, so if anyone has any experience with this this would also be welcome information. Thanks!

Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 10:01
AndyJ

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Go for the 328. Yes

I had one for a few years and loved it. They have so much more character than new BMWs. In fact, I was going to buy another before I bought my current 6, but changed my mind at the last second.

For we are many.

PS£ ID: Monkey369

Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 10:43
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
AndyJ wrote:
Go for the 328. Yes

I had one for a few years and loved it. They have so much more character than new BMWs. In fact, I was going to buy another before I bought my current 6, but changed my mind at the last second.

So you'd recommend an E36 shape 328i?
How does it compare to your '6 in terms of what it's like to drive ie. how much fun it is?

I'm worried that insurance on a 328i might be very steep though.

Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 10:47
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #13
I had an E46 323ci, good solid car, 2.5 engine felt really strong and the car feels really planted to the road. All in all it was great, fast (ish), great handling and not too expensive to run suprisingly so I would say go for one but avoid the titanium silver ones as they do rust. Check the front arches and sills for corrosion as they're prone to it. Just be aware that they're not exactly what I class as a "fun" car to drive like a small hatch.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 10:59
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Thanks for the advice.

ian7675 wrote:
Just be aware that they're not exactly what I class as a "fun" car to drive like a small hatch.

This is what I was thinking might be the case. I suppose the only thing I can do really is to test drive one.

Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 11:06
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #15
Here it is, currently being driven around Bristol by a big black man with gold chains (honestly Yes).

Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 11:09
AndyJ

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
It's a completely different driving experience than a 6. The 328 will be quicker in a straight line, but obviously not as quick through the corners. The engine just keeps pulling, though. Loads of torque, so it takes off when you out our foot down at any speed.
A 6 will always be more fun to drive, but the BMW is a better all round car.
The insurance, for me, on a 328 coupe was nearly twice as much as a 6, hence why I own another French s**t box. LOL

For we are many.

PS£ ID: Monkey369

Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 11:13
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
ian7675 wrote:
I had an E46 323ci, good solid car, 2.5 engine felt really strong and the car feels really planted to the road. All in all it was great, fast (ish), great handling and not too expensive to run suprisingly so I would say go for one but avoid the titanium silver ones as they do rust. Check the front arches and sills for corrosion as they're prone to it. Just be aware that they're not exactly what I class as a "fun" car to drive like a small hatch.

This is good advice i had a e46 325 m-tec sport but only had it for couple months after selling my rallye.. Personaly i never bonded with it and ended up doing a straight swop for a ep3 civic type r that wos the longest car ive owned

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 11:28
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
If E36 and E46 are similar prices I would go for the E46 - I never liked the look of the E36 even when new, especially around the headlights, too many lines, like it was designed by an origami expert. Get one with a service history too otherwise you could be buying more grief than you've got now.

But I would just get your 6 fixed! Why not get the bumper off and get a bodyshop to look at it and give you a quote? Then at least you'll know what you are dealing with, chassis rail bent/not bent etc. Might be cheaper than you think getting it fixed?

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 12:31
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
mik wrote:
But I would just get your 6 fixed! Why not get the bumper off and get a bodyshop to look at it and give you a quote? Then at least you'll know what you are dealing with, chassis rail bent/not bent etc. Might be cheaper than you think getting it fixed?

I would like it fixed.
I will have a look at local companies who might be able to fix it. The car would have to be trailered or driven on trade plates though as it is SORN'd and not insured.

I've already spent a lot of time and energy on it though, mostly in the snow and ice as well. If someone can fix it for me that'd be great.

E46s with full service histories and long MOTs and reasonable mileages are out there for surprisingly little money actually. I suppose they are over 10 years old but I was still quite taken aback by the prices actually.

I've found a couple of companies that I'll be calling for a quote when I get back to the UK. I'm just exploring options if I really do need to give up on the idea of getting it back on the road.

Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 13:45
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #20
Those E46's with a good history are pretty much bullet proof with the straight six engine so 10 years old is no problem. The diesels on the other hand No

Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 14:41
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
ian7675 wrote:
Those E46's with a good history are pretty much bullet proof with the straight six engine so 10 years old is no problem. The diesels on the other hand No

That's pretty much what I thought from reading forums/hearing people talk about them etc.

E46 325is are going for between 1 and 2k with FSH and long MOTs which really is a lot of car and overall a very nice place to be for that kind of money, especially for a 21 year old. Thumbs up 10-13 years old isn't a problem given that my 306s are 15 and 16 respectively. LOL Having said that, my mint (right down to a clean engine bay) 78k 306 that had been garaged and summer driven for the second half of its life with a stack of reciepts for £1300 plus a negociation of £100 for the remaining tax was/is an extremely nice car for someone my age as well! Although it is looking a little worse for wear now.

Insurers really don't seem to like young people in anything RWD though (understandably), especially BMWs, although admittedly I've only ever had quotes on E36s and older, so maybe newer cars might be viewed more favourably.

Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 15:25
astragsi237

Regular

Post #22
Had my E36 328i for 2 years, It was very comfy,quiet & quick but extremely juicy around town (well for my liking anyway) 22/24mpg

Use to get random people stop & talk to me all the time about it lol strange..

People forget the 325i runs the same power as the 328i as there restricted,also the 325i has the stronger engine/Think its an iron block compared to the ali block in the 328i.

Phase 1 bianca white GTi-6:SOLD
Phase 2 blaze yellow d-turbo:Off to scrap heaven
Phase 2.5 platinum silver GTi-6:Just purchased :-D
Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 16:29
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #23
the alloy engine is just as strong but a fair chunk lighter, however did have liner issues, at this age however I'd imagine those that were problematic would be long gone, BMW did replace many engines under warranty, and I've heard of a few 328's running iron blocks as replacement units.

pop the 325 manifold on the 328 and you'll free up a few bhp.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 17:30
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Sold the 6 and bought a bmw recently, will never look back.

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 30th Mar 2013 at 20:50
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
webster wrote:
Sold the 6 and bought a bmw recently, will never look back.

Which BMW? There are BMWs that I definitely wouldn't own over a '6, and many that I would.

Posted 31st Mar 2013 at 13:27

Pages (3): [1] 2 3