displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Grp N Top Engine Chock, fitting etc
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #1
Had a little search around, not really to much avail.

I got passed a Grp N solid rubber chock for the top mount, What is it like to get to the top mount etc, take a look and check it and then fit the chocks if things look all ok?

Any do's and dont's or past experience?

Any help great fully appreciated, thank you!

"winners come and go but legends never die..."
autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 15th Mar 2013 at 19:24
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Fit and fit the chocks lol

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 15th Mar 2013 at 19:29
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #3
Do you need to pop a jack or anything underneath to brace/hold it up and take the weight?

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 15th Mar 2013 at 19:36
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
If you're taking the entire mount out to check see it it's cracked, then yes, support it on a jack, easier if you hang it off an engine crane though in case you do need to get in to weld it.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 15th Mar 2013 at 19:39
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #5
Yeh, I was just going to have a good look and check there's no movement, what extent do you have to go to if you were only fitting the chocks?

Btw phillipm just looked at the wishbones, they are the way forward! Great piece of construction and engineering, rather than going roller bearings you'd be silly not to have them!

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 15th Mar 2013 at 19:41
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
If my car is on bricks tommorow with the wishbones missing, I know who to find....

If you're just fitting the chocks then just whip the top brace/buffer off and swap them over.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 15th Mar 2013 at 23:42
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #7
Cheers mate,

Haha, I'd set of now and it would nearly be daylight before I got to your part of the country! Yeah they are just closer to what I know and have had experience with, all the later space framed race cars we had were all on adjustable wishbones etc.

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 16th Mar 2013 at 00:18
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Certainly make a hell of difference to the front of the car!

Email me!
Posted 16th Mar 2013 at 00:23
blacky

Junior User

Post #9
If you do find that its cracked dont panic too much just mail phillipm as he done an abseloute top job of mine
Posted 16th Mar 2013 at 09:45
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #10
Thanks for your help! Got them in there, massive difference as there's now no movement and they're lovely and snug, really does make the car smoother!

When I got to the main mount was a little bit worried as it looked like it had been off before, however it was nice firm, anyways I took it out expecting to maybe unveil the inevitable only to find someone had made a nice repair in there already! #mademysaturday!!!

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 17th Mar 2013 at 09:43
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Thumbs up

Email me!
Posted 18th Mar 2013 at 18:29