Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Mk2 RS cat looks promising.

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 18th Feb 2013 at 13:30
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
It is difficult as the way the 440cc injectors (quite a primitive injector) deliver the fuel (used to cool the pistons) means that unburnt fuel ends up on the cat at full throttle. There is a chance that even a standard cat will last that long. Should last longer than an aftermarket cat though.

With the best will in the world, an aftermarket unit is never going to be built to the same standard as one built by a car manufacturer. This is why the scrap value of standard cats is much higher than the scrap value of an aftermarket unit. There are more precious metals in them.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 18th Feb 2013 at 13:39
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Yeah I think i'm going to look into the Focus RS mk2 ones to be honest. an photo of one on ebay looks doable at least.
They can take a whack more than standard 300 hp too i believe.
My mate had 345hp out of one and im certain it had its cat still

Posted 18th Feb 2013 at 13:43
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Yeah, something like a Focus, Megane, Volvo, Mazda 3 MPS etc etc should do you.

They should take the rich running on WOT well as the cars will do this as standard.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 18th Feb 2013 at 14:43
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
RX-8 unit is worth a look too, it was specifically designed to cope with as much rich-running as possible.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 18th Feb 2013 at 14:49
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
phillipm wrote:
RX-8 unit is worth a look too, it was specifically designed to cope with as much rich-running as possible.

That may be a good shout, they do run super rich. There seem to be so many f**ked RX-8s about that you may get one for a good price too.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 18th Feb 2013 at 15:01
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
Hmmm quick look at one, Any ideas what the slight increase is in width after the first cat? Are there two cats in there?
Looks a bit odd.

Posted 18th Feb 2013 at 15:19
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
i am sure that this has been asked before but ..... would a Cat with the insides removed be restrictive?

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 19th Feb 2013 at 15:18
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
russbez wrote:
i am sure that this has been asked before but ..... would a Cat with the insides removed be restrictive?

More restrictive than a decat less restrictive than a cat.

There is an argument that in some applications a hollowed out cat can be more beneficial than a decat for a NA car.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 19th Feb 2013 at 15:23
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
suppose that makes sense, insurance renewal up soon.... oh joy

My Rallye project thread
Posted 19th Feb 2013 at 15:26
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
smegal wrote:

There is an argument that in some applications a hollowed out cat can be more beneficial than a decat for a NA car.

I thought I heard that before but thought it couldn't be true, the only thing that made me think it may be possible was the expansion chamber you get on two stroke motocross bikes. I've no idea if it is the same principle, but it made sense to me. I am an idiot though

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 19th Feb 2013 at 15:29
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Similar principle, the box should be smaller than a hollowed out cat though, so it can often be worse, you could chop it down the middle and take some volume out though.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 19th Feb 2013 at 15:43
doof

Regular

Post #38
Can anyone doing this be sure to post any results / pictures of their work back here? Very interested in doing this but won't have the money to do it for a while. I wonder how much it'd quieten things down.
Posted 20th Feb 2013 at 13:55
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
russbez wrote:

I wonder if the Peugeot sport "Dummy" cat is hollowed out or straight through ? Hmm
Could be worth finding out for sure.
Stainless too.

Posted 20th Feb 2013 at 14:24
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
Magnaflow are supposed to be ok people running well over 300hp the difference is that it's normally on a 3" turbo back system. if you increase bore size it would probably slow down the gas velocity might help. But then you'd need a manifold too, probably stick with a decat.
Posted 22nd Feb 2013 at 10:07
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
You should be ok with 2.5 still, It doesnt really work the same way as with a turbo.
Obviously a rs cat will be a 3 inch bore anyway so you would have to weld something up to suit with that. to make it bit a 2.5" system

Posted 22nd Feb 2013 at 10:17
lee_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
I think i have decided to put the cat back on and see how things go.

Proud member of the Astor owners club

Team Charged

Swirl pot and silly boost kit for sale
Posted 23rd Feb 2013 at 19:27
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
if your putting the cat back on to supress noise then get a bigger backbox silencer instead

if your putting the cat back on to pass fuel emmisions test

bear with me.......

i had a decat 1.4 306. as i expected it failed on emmissions. i asked the man to re-run the test with my bodge cheap ass jam jar coat hangar HHO cell on and it passed.

amazed by this the garage man im guessing couldnt resist tinkering with it some more. with the result of filling my plastic inlet manifold with the gas before starting the engine.

a small but noisey explosion resulted. turning my plastic inlet manifold into scattered peices. and i think he was put off of hho forever, despite its magical emmision reducing properties.

ill probably get laughed at and called a kook (again) for this info but sod it, here goes.

i do believe the emmisions were reduced due to two reasons.
1. reforming water/steam captures many gasses in the exhaust and in this aqueous state they are not picked up by the test sensor
2. the detontion speed of the hydrogen gas has allowed for a far more uniform combustion as it essentially speeds up the spread of flame from the spark tip. meaning the mixture ignites all at once more like a diesel engine instead of spreading as a wave.

i will also note point 2 may be a reason for me noticing mpg increase over long motorway journeys. this effect was not seen on short city driving however.

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 25th Feb 2013 at 17:45
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #44
jimmyhackers wrote:
if your putting the cat back on to supress noise then get a bigger backbox silencer instead

if your putting the cat back on to pass fuel emmisions test

bear with me.......

i had a decat 1.4 306. as i expected it failed on emmissions. i asked the man to re-run the test with my bodge cheap ass jam jar coat hangar HHO cell on and it passed.

amazed by this the garage man im guessing couldnt resist tinkering with it some more. with the result of filling my plastic inlet manifold with the gas before starting the engine.

a small but noisey explosion resulted. turning my plastic inlet manifold into scattered peices. and i think he was put off of hho forever, despite its magical emmision reducing properties.

ill probably get laughed at and called a kook (again) for this info but sod it, here goes.

i do believe the emmisions were reduced due to two reasons.
1. reforming water/steam captures many gasses in the exhaust and in this aqueous state they are not picked up by the test sensor
2. the detontion speed of the hydrogen gas has allowed for a far more uniform combustion as it essentially speeds up the spread of flame from the spark tip. meaning the mixture ignites all at once more like a diesel engine instead of spreading as a wave.

i will also note point 2 may be a reason for me noticing mpg increase over long motorway journeys. this effect was not seen on short city driving however.

Pardon? Laugh my ass off

I think to be honest he is wanting to refit the catalytic converter to ensure the vehicle remains legal. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 25th Feb 2013 at 19:00
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
lmfao, not this HHO s**t again, or do I have to go through the calcs to prove you it was nothing to do with your system?

Burns like a diesel does it? If it did, your pistons would be all over the floor LOL:

Email me!
Posted 25th Feb 2013 at 19:27
stilly

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
stan_306gti6 wrote:
I think to be honest he is wanting to refit the catalytic converter to ensure the vehicle remains legal. Yes

and because you have made a very paranoid person worst by filling his very empty head up with legals rubbish making him more paranoid than he already was.....LOL

deaf in 1 eye blind in 1 ear Crazy......

307 136bhp daily drive.....

306 rallye stripped out and charged.....

lee_gti6 also known as "the tit".....

stan_306gti6 also known as "stan the dick".......

Posted 26th Feb 2013 at 05:00
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #47
LOL

Hardly, I still run a decat but I'm willing to take the risk. I think now Lee uses the car as an everyday car he wants it to be legal to avoid any future problems. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 26th Feb 2013 at 07:24
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #48
Angry
Misleading thread title.

Reading 'Cat is on a charger', I clicked hoping to see a small furry pet sat on a super charger/battery charger/Dodge Charger.

If the bible teaches us anything, it is to always remove an incorrectly used apostrophe.
Posted 26th Feb 2013 at 12:19
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
i thought this too, even though i only read and commented on this thread a week ago LOL

My Rallye project thread
Posted 26th Feb 2013 at 12:23
lee_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
tompaltridge wrote:
Angry
Misleading thread title.

Reading 'Cat is on a charger', I clicked hoping to see a small furry pet sat on a super charger/battery charger/Dodge Charger.

If the bible teaches us anything, it is to always remove an incorrectly used apostrophe.

Hopefully i have sholved this problem LOL

Proud member of the Astor owners club

Team Charged

Swirl pot and silly boost kit for sale
Posted 27th Feb 2013 at 18:14

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3