displaying posts 26 to 50 of 55

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: A.B.S Track Car
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #26
lurch86 wrote:
Looks good, looks easy enough to do!
Il put mine up tonight, no overly different from owain really but il put them up just to show a slightly different approach!

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 5th Oct 2012 at 08:12
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #27

Basically the cars full of spare wheels etc at the min so I can't photograph where the rear pipes go through the floor but you get the gist of how I've done it. It wasn't particularly expensive to do, the bias valve is the only costly item really. You have any questions just shout up!! Thumbs up

Team Negative Camber!
Posted 6th Oct 2012 at 12:32
lurch86

Senior User

Post #28
Excellent. That's brill, thanks alot!

Wanted list... (P.m me if you have any)
Rollcage.
Strut Braces.

Lydden Hill 31/10/2015 Last Track day
1st time at Snetterton on the Bike! 22/08/2017
Posted 6th Oct 2012 at 12:39
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
I have the same clips as Jeffers for supporting the brake lines, and they are an absolute must. They cost about a quid for a million of them, but they let you support the pipe all the way along, all you need is a small drill and a self-tapper to hold them in.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 6th Oct 2012 at 12:40
lurch86

Senior User

Post #30
Cheers, easy enough! I'll try it with the abs off at my next track day. But knowing me its highly likely that the abs will be gone

Rollcage.
Strut Braces.

Posted 6th Oct 2012 at 12:43
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
Yeah to be honest I've never really missed it. Saves weight and teaches you not to rely on the electronic systems to help you.

Posted 6th Oct 2012 at 12:46
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #32
owain wrote:
I have the same clips as Jeffers for supporting the brake lines, and they are an absolute must. They cost about a quid for a million of them, but they let you support the pipe all the way along, all you need is a small drill and a self-tapper to hold them in.

Yep definitely the clips are a must, I got them off eBay I think about 50p for 200,000 as owain says. The One thing I find is I can now feel exactly what the cars doing under braking whereas before the ABS was too keen to cut in and you lost the feel for what the car was doing, also as previously stated it allows you to brake a lot later and teaches you to control it better, just my 2p's worth! Thumbs up

Team Negative Camber!
Posted 6th Oct 2012 at 13:50
lurch86

Senior User

Post #33
Also have you removed the rear brake compensator?

Rollcage.
Strut Braces.

Posted 7th Oct 2012 at 21:36
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Owain / Jeffers, how much copper piping did you use? Are there any other tools / parts I'd need?

I've got a bit of time over the Xmas hols and I'm hopefully going to be getting new front calipers so may as well remove the ABS at the same time if it isn't too expensive!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 7th Oct 2012 at 21:46
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #35
A 10 metre roll is usually enough if you don't make too many mistakes with the tape measure or flaring tool.

Tools you will need

Brake pipe flaring tool
Brake union selection kit
Drill
File or sandpaper for deburring the pipe ends if you saw them
Junior hacksaw

Tools that are handy
Small pipe cutter so square ends are easy to achieve
Brake pipe bending tool for neater bends

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 08:25
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #36
daveyboy wrote:
A 10 metre roll is usually enough if you don't make too many mistakes with the tape measure or flaring tool.

Tools you will need

Brake pipe flaring tool
Brake union selection kit
Drill
File or sandpaper for deburring the pipe ends if you saw them
Junior hacksaw

Tools that are handy
Small pipe cutter so square ends are easy to achieve
Brake pipe bending tool for neater bends
You can buy a brake pipe bending tool off the bay for around £10 il see if I can find a link to the one I bought. For doing tighter bends I used a socket of the appropriate size to bend the copper round, it works well to be fair. One other thing to remember when building up the system in copper don't tighten any of the unions up until your happy with the routing of pipework etc with copper being soft you just distort the flared ends and after being off and on a couple of times you'll struggle to get them to seal! Any other questions just shout up! Thumbs up

Team Negative Camber!
Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 09:25
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Will do, cheers guys.

If you have that link Jeffers it'd be really useful. Saves me looking myself Razz

Would this be suitable for the copper roll? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25FT-COPPER-BRAKE-PIPE-ROLL-3-8-UNF-MALE-FEMALE-ENDS-/230328141224

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 09:32
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
I think I've still got some links somewhere Dan, I'll tag on a reply shortly, but due to my current state of personal hygiene I really should shower first.

Once that inconvenience is out of the way Jeffers and I can have some kind of ABS-removal knowledge joust Thumbs up

Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 09:34
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
FIGHT! Big grin Lurch and I will just sit back and watch...

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 09:38
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #40
owain wrote:
I think I've still got some links somewhere Dan, I'll tag on a reply shortly, but due to my current state of personal hygiene I really should shower first.

Once that inconvenience is out of the way Jeffers and I can have some kind of ABS-removal knowledge joust Thumbs up

LOL I should warn you quit smoking a week ago so i'm a fairly ANGRY man at the min! LOL

Team Negative Camber!
Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 09:58
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #41
demondriverdan wrote:
Will do, cheers guys.

If you have that link Jeffers it'd be really useful. Saves me looking myself Razz

Would this be suitable for the copper roll? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25FT-COPPER-BRAKE-PIPE-ROLL-3-8-UNF-MALE-FEMALE-ENDS-/230328141224

Just be careful buying off the bay, i bought my brake pipe off the bay and run out due to making a few mistakes in the early stages. I went to my local motor factors to get more pipe to finish the job and they could only sell me a roll......... a couple of quid cheaper than i'd bought it on the bay! Doh Also the unions on our cars are 10mm iirc not imperial 3/8!Thumbs up

Team Negative Camber!
Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 10:03
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
Right, here's everything I can find. I ordered these plastic brake line clips:

Plastic line clips

As for the brake line itself, you want 3/16", but don't confuse this with the 3/8" thread on some of the unions you can buy. There are three types - steel (which you can't bend or flare with standard tools), cupro-nickel (which is stronger and will last longer than copper but again you'll struggle to do it well with cheap tools), and pure copper, which is what I used, and Jeffers too by the look of his pictures. I bought this reel, and it was plenty:

3/16" brake line

As for the unions themselves I got a pot of each (male & female) from Unipart, but CBS sell them as well - you want to use M10 across the board; it's the fitting all the 306 calipers use, and it's what the master cylinder has. There are a few materials they can be made of and I had a fair bit of chat as to what to go for, in the end I went for the chrome-plated steel (iirc) ones, which reassuringly it looks like Jeffers went for too. They should be a yellowish metal colour. Don't go for the aluminium ones, as they'll seize in the calipers due to some complicated electrical charge differences between materials.

Female unions
Male unions

(Jeffers - any thoughts on those male ones - they look like the longer ones to me, mine were shorter? Don't see how it'd matter, just wondered)

Depending on how and where you choose to split the pipes, you'll probably need some T-pieces.

To get through the bulkhead, you'll need a bulkhead union.

I can't remember where I got my bias valve from, but buy a decent one - I went for a Wilwood. Annoyingly it came with imperial unions, so I got some imperial to M10 adaptors with it, just make sure the seller knows you need to connect M10 to it.

For bending the pipe, I bought a Clarke tool for the job, it's an absolute piece of s**t but does the job perfectly. Clarke themselves just re-badge some Chinese rubbish, so you can pick these up off eBay for about £7. It can sometimes be a bit of a headf**k trying to figure out which way you want to put the tool onto the pipe to get the pipe to bend the way you want, but as long as you're half-sensible it'll be fine.

It's worth buying yourself a half-decent flaring kit, seeing as you're essentially putting your life in its hands. Again I bought a Clarke Kit, which has everything you need - a proper pipe cutter which gives you true 90 degree ends, all the various dies for male and female unions and the flaring tool itself.

Before you crack on making up the new lines, do a few practise bends and flares with the tools - it's surprisingly easy to get one that looks right, but takes a bit of practise to get them absolutely perfect. The flare itself needs to be absolutely uniform and symmetrical if it's going to seal - sometimes they flare is slightly off-centre. Don't be tempted to use it, just cut the end off and try again. I rushed a few on mine, and I ended up with a few seeping fluid and having to be re-done, which is extremely annoying when you've already been around clipping the pipe down everywhere.

All-in-all though, it's an easy job, but due to its nature it deserves to have time and care taken over it. Exactly where you choose to route the lines is up to you; some people get double-pipe bias tools so you can pipes to the rear wheels separately; some people prefer to do that so that one exit on the master cylinder goes to the front right and rear left, and the other to the front left and rear right in case one of them fails. Personally I didn't bother with that, my car's light enough that even if I lost the fronts it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I've never heard of anyone having half a master cylinder fail on these cars anyway.

I think that's all, did you do anything different Jeffers? Certainly I'd agree though, don't buy any of the brake parts themselves off eBay, you don't know the quality you're getting and if you ran out and needed to order more it could be a completely different product from a different source. Buy it from someone reputable.

EDIT: I put 3/8" in a couple of places I meant 3/16".

Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 10:10
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
Owain, you're a God amongst men. Jeffers isn't bad either Razz

Much appreciated!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 14:23
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
demondriverdan wrote:
Owain, you're a God amongst men

Buddha?

No worries, gimme a shout if I missed anything. Just be careful and sensible and you'll be fine.

Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 14:28
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
owain wrote:
demondriverdan wrote:
Owain, you're a God amongst men

Buddha?

No worries, gimme a shout if I missed anything. Just be careful and sensible and you'll be fine.

I've got time when I break up from Uni for Christmas so have got about 3 or 4 days straight where I can work on the car.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 14:29
pinkfloyd

Senior User

Post #46
I've wired a switch into the fuse panel so I can have it on or off to suit track conditions.
Works well for me.

Liverpool Motor Club Sprint champion 2017
Longton & District Motor Club Sprint champion 2017
Liverpool Motor Club Sprint champion 2016
Liverpool Motor Club Sprint champion 2015
Lancashire & Cheshire Speed Championship
Winner 2014
2nd 2013
Winner 2012
2nd 2011
Winner 2010
Winner 2009
Winner 2008
Winner 2007
2nd 2006.
Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 16:00
lurch86

Senior User

Post #47
Sweet right up! Make a good faq! What about the rear compensator? Do you leave it in or get rid?

Rollcage.
Strut Braces.

Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 19:15
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
Got rid of it. No need once you have a bias valve, and one less thing to fail an MOT on.

Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 19:21
lurch86

Senior User

Post #49
I see, wicked. Cheers owain!

Rollcage.
Strut Braces.

Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 19:23
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
lurch86 wrote:
I see, wicked. Cheers owain!

Fancy coming to give me a hand once you've done yours? Big grin Not that far from me! Razz

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 19:33

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3