displaying posts 426 to 450 of 516

Pages (21): first .. 17 [18] 19 .. last

Author Subject: DemonDriverDan's Race Rallye Project
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #426
[quote="demondriverdan"]Thanks, I'll measure it at the weekend.

If it turns out it's too far I'd need to think about whether it's better to spend the money on new rods and pistons to go with the head or switch to another head without the porting and polishing.

Arguably if I'm going to spend the money on rods and pistons I should go to 2.1 or 2.2....[/quote

Can you still do your series with the extra capacity? ]
Posted 13th Dec 2017 at 14:18
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #427
Yea, it's all about power to weight so capacity doesn't matter. The downside is it would stop me racing in Tin Tops or a capacity series, which seems a little tight as you can spend £10k+ on a 2L engine but can't spend much less than that on a 2.1!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 13th Dec 2017 at 14:22
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #428
Just intrigued as would love one day to race but that’s a long way off for me at present
Posted 13th Dec 2017 at 15:58
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #429
Racing is great but it's a big commitment. If you're around, come along to a race.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 13th Dec 2017 at 20:27
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #430
I’d come along to watch definitely - I’d love to get to the stage to do the odd day etc don’t think I could commit to a series not to begin with but need to get confident with the car etc first as would be a long way off lap time wise
Posted 13th Dec 2017 at 20:56
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #431
With Trackday Trophy you don't need to commit to the whole year, you pay to enter the series (£100) and to have a dyno done (£100) then you can enter races as you want. I only did 2 races last year but should be doing 7 or 8 this year.

I'm still waiting for the calendar confirmation but the first race will be Donington around the 21st April

Rallye Race Car
Posted 14th Dec 2017 at 11:41
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #432
Dan don’t know who helps you on Race days ...but as I’m sure Michael will vouch for me ...you need 2 at least people to help out on race days I’ve found out ...ok Wills at the top end of the race spectrum but even his car goes wrong ....we’ve had to change clutch’s and gearbox’s Before now ....it’s finding good helpful people who don’t want paying that seems to be hard ...
I committed last year because I had the time ....this year with getting engaged Etc is going to be much more difficult.....

But so worth it as I’ve learned loads and know what works and doesn’t....sort of ....

I may do a couple of Races year after next LOL

PS Michael ...I was doing 1.17s consistency around Combe before 100kg removed and upgrades in last 8months Whistle
Posted 15th Dec 2017 at 07:33
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #433
I’ve changed clutches on a trackday before all part of the fun lol

1.17.. i reckon I’d probably be more like 1.27 lol
Posted 15th Dec 2017 at 21:50
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #434
I don't bother taking a clutch to the racing, best case we have only 2 hours between quali and race so not much point taking one.

Luckily with 4 years of racing and all the equipment we have, I'm sorted with running the race day

Rallye Race Car
Posted 15th Dec 2017 at 22:05
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #435
quote:
[quote="demondriverdan"]I don't bother taking a clutch to the racing, best case we have only 2 hours between quali and race so not much point taking one.

Luckily with 4 years of racing and all the equipment we have, I'm sorted with running the race day

I think Michael witnessed 3 of us taking Wils gearbox out and then slither disc cutting and grinding the broken rivets off a tilton clutch plate and the temp bolting it back together between that same time ....qual to race ....

Your a very lucky chap Dan Razz
Posted 16th Dec 2017 at 15:27
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #436
Stripped the head apart and have had it skimmed. They had to take 12 thousands off which is quite a lot and it turns out the head is already really, really skimmed as they measured a height of 136.15! Going to have to measure everything when I put it back together again and hope there are no issues, if there are then I'll have to go to a different head without all the porting and polishing.

Exhaust valves are bit mucky:

Inlets look ok though:

Upside down engine!

Whipped the sump off to prep for the baffled sump

I followed Miles' suggestion to run some brake cleaner down the bores to see if any drips out the bottom which should show if the rings leak. Nothing seemed to drop out but I'll build it back up with old head bolts and old gasket then do a leakdown test

Rallye Race Car
Posted 20th Dec 2017 at 10:40
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #437
yikes, that's been planed off not skimmed lol! how close are the valve seats to the face of the head now?!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 20th Dec 2017 at 10:57
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #438
I know, it's ridiculous! I'll check when I get it back but it's going to be close. It might make more sense to switch to a different head. I mainly want to keep this as it's had new stem seals etc.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 20th Dec 2017 at 11:01
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #439
Could always go down the conetic gasket route as can have any thickness if you want to stay with the current head. What had failed or is it just a strip and refresh?
Posted 22nd Dec 2017 at 20:59
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #440
I think the head had warped as I didn't torque it down properly

Rallye Race Car
Posted 22nd Dec 2017 at 21:02
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #441
Bit more of an update over Christmas. Here is the clearance between the valve seat and plane, it's pretty close but seems ok.

I had another go at cleaning up the valves using a method I found online of putting them in drill and running them against a brass wire brush and seems to have made a big difference. Here's a before:

And after picture:

I also lapped and refitted the valves to the head, not something I'd done before. Lapping was ok and had no real issues once I figured out a technique. Putting the spring collets back in was a bloody nightmare to start with Big grin Eventually found a better way of doing it after much swearing! Here's a lapped valve seat on the left and unlapped on the right:

Once all that was done I put the head back on the block with a new gasket and head bolts (hopefully torquing it up properly this time!), timed it up with a new cambelt and fitted alternator and aux belt.

I had picked up a baffled sump from Pete which originally came from a touring car. I wanted to run it to try and minimise oil pressure drops on circuit and it was a fair bit cheaper than a full dry sump scenario and (I was hoping) should be easier to fit! As it turns out, it wasn't. The sump uses a different windage tray that has 8 mounting points instead of 4 on the standard one. In order to fit it you have to use different main end bolts which have slightly shorter heads than the standard ones. This meant that the tray was too close to the crank as it's designed for a BTCC engine and gets in the way of a standard crank.

With the tray abandoned I switched to figuring out the pump which was slightly different to a standard one (standard on left, new one on right):

There are a couple of differences but the main thing to notice is there has been material removed from the bottom of the pump behind the sprocket to allow it to fit over the new windage tray. It also had some interesting modifications to the pickup point:

As it turns out, it's an HDI pump:

It also doesn't fit with the spacer the normal pumps use to tension the chain so another reason I couldn't fit it.

With all that done I tried to fit the standard pump with the baffled sump and standard tray. What the setup is aiming to do is make a smaller area of oil for the pump to pick up from by creating a square around it using 3 plates in the sump and one on the pump, seen here:

Unfortunately I just couldn't get the sump to fit properly, it wouldn't sit flush with the block and wouldn't line up correctly. After about a day of faffing around I gave up and went back to the standard sump and pump completely, I've no idea why it isn't fitting on my engine!

With that all done and the head sorted it's pretty much ready to go back in the car:

The final thing I had to do was reconnect the rear brakes after all the beam work. One of the pipes had broken when taking them off so had to quickly redo it. Then I had the final problem of the pads I'd ordered not fitting. They have so much material on them there was no way they were going to fit!

Will have to speak to EBC to sort it out.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 1st Jan 2018 at 19:00
stef306

Regular

Post #442
pads look like 205 1600 front pads.

1990 205 gti6 supercharged
Posted 1st Jan 2018 at 19:37
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #443
quote:
[quote="stef306"]pads look like 205 1600 front pads.

With that much Pad on them ...I’d say front pads Thumbs down

Looking Great Dan ...keep the updates coming my friend Thumbs up

Dan Do I understand correct ?...you’ve been suffering from oil pressure drop at times ?
Posted 1st Jan 2018 at 21:42
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #444
Yea, I think I've been sent the wrong ones. Will talk to EBC.

On the oil pressure issue hopefully this graph gives you some idea:

Top graph is speed, middle is throttle position, bottom is oil pressure. You can see there are some reasonable drops in pressure on the initial right turn which I'd like to try and minimise where possible. None of the corners on this circuit (Rockingham ISCC) are particularly long so there's little chance of serious issue to the engine but through something like Coram could cause problems

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Jan 2018 at 10:22
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #445
Have you thought about a accumsump?

Ive been looking into these for when i eventually finish my engine build and look a fairly good compromise
Posted 2nd Jan 2018 at 15:36
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #446
Accusump is a good option actually, I think Damien has one. Ideally I didn't want to but might be easier to do

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Jan 2018 at 16:58
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #447
quote:
[quote="demondriverdan"]Accusump is a good option actually, I think Damien has one. Ideally I didn't want to but might be easier to do

Yes Ive run one since the Sandy engine got fitted ....seems to work well and I also run a (Stack PRO oil pressure gauge that records everything and beeps / flashes red if pressure goes low ..never has ?....thank god LOL

I run a manual Accsump inside the car under the passenger dash / bolted onto the roll cage ...I Can pre-lube 80psi of oil into the engine before even starting it ....which should help with wear also
Posted 2nd Jan 2018 at 17:29
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #448
So it automatically puts more oil in to the system when the pressure drops below a certain point, plus you can manually put more in?

I have a similar setup except the warning comes up on the dash as "Oil pressure low"

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Jan 2018 at 17:31
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #449
Yep thats how i understand it works and as damien said you can pre oil which is a bonus imo especially when it could be weeks/months without starting etc
Posted 2nd Jan 2018 at 17:36
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #450
quote:
[quote="demondriverdan"]So it automatically puts more oil in to the system when the pressure drops below a certain point, plus you can manually put more in?

I have a similar setup except the warning comes up on the dash as "Oil pressure low"

100% yes Dan ...very simple design and you can set the PSI or Bar you want the oil to kick in at when engine low pressure is lower than the accsump...mine holds 1.45 litre of oil I think ?
When I very first started my engine and I got 100 psi ....I closed my lever and it then has 100 psi of oil in it to pre lube before starting ....
When using and using the car ....before turning the engine off I close the accusump lever ...storing approx 60psi into the accusump ....great for prelube Prestart ....remember higher psi less oil...lower psi more oil in accsump ....

More PSI in accsump like 60 psi the quicker the oil fires into the engine on corners in low psi engine problems....

I think mines set at min 25 psi (ALL THE TIME) which is recommended ...but remember the accsump PSI matches the engine PSI until it goes below 25psi then wallop in goes the oil ...

Look on YouTube ...great vids of how they work etc etc...

Michael ...100% agree ...great for months of not starting ...saving you un-plugging the Coil pack and loosing the plugs to get the oil getting around the engine before letting it start ...safely
Posted 2nd Jan 2018 at 21:41

Pages (21): first .. 17 [18] 19 .. last