displaying posts 451 to 475 of 516

Pages (21): first .. 18 [19] 20 .. last

Author Subject: DemonDriverDan's Race Rallye Project
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #451
I'll have a look at them. Where did you mount yours Damien?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Jan 2018 at 21:56
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #452
quote:
[quote="demondriverdan"]I'll have a look at them. Where did you mount yours Damien?

I run a manual Accsump inside the car under the passenger dash / bolted onto the roll cage ...I Can pre-lube 80psi of oil into the engine before even starting it ....which should help with wear also
Posted 2nd Jan 2018 at 22:37
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #453
Where did you put the oil lines in to?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Jan 2018 at 22:54
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #454
quote:
[quote="demondriverdan"]Where did you put the oil lines in to?

It’s one single oil line from the Accsump bottle in the car to the in feed of my Mocal sandwich plate with a one way valve
Posted 3rd Jan 2018 at 04:38
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #455
Makes sense, cheers Damo

Rallye Race Car
Posted 3rd Jan 2018 at 07:11
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #456
My old Accusump setup I’m tiding up loads at mo Thumbs up

1....X2 Pipes bottom left going to oil cooler ....one with one way brass valve to 3way and one going to left hand sandwich plate feed

2.....Middle brass connector going to oil cooler = one way Accusump valve to make sure oil goes into the sandwich plate into engine not Round oil cooler

3.....Single pipe coming in on right to left to 3 way valve is from Accsump inside the car ...:

Hope this makes sense Dan

Day666 has attached the following image:

Posted 3rd Jan 2018 at 19:44
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #457
Cheers Damo, exactly what I needed Smile

Rallye Race Car
Posted 3rd Jan 2018 at 20:08
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #458
Haven't updated this in a long time! I've done 3 races so far this season getting two 3rds and a 1st (then DQed due to being underweight). The Brands race I was DQed from was recorded for TV, you can watch it on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LohsP1-uPws

The first race of the year was at Donny, video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvqe-YG1evs

Most recent race was at Snet, video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amSjLqHQoZg

Things have been going fairly well until I realised at Snet that the car wasn't pulling out of corners as I expected it to. Took the diff out and sent it back to 3J who confirmed there was an issue with it and fixed it for free for me, big thanks to them!

While everything was apart I decided to put a Helix paddle clutch in. I've been using Valeo clutches until now and the release bearing was making a pretty grim noise along with the bite point moving during races. When I asked around most people recommended the Helix so figured it was worth a go. With this I've also moved to a push clutch rather than pull which was reasonably painless once I'd assembled the right parts.

Took the car to Brands this week for a shakedown to discover the O/S driveshaft was buggered so had to do a quick replacement at the circuit.

Otherwise the car is seemingly running ok. I've bought a new race helmet and now have proper pit to car comms in which makes the races easier to track where I am in the field, who I'm racing etc.

Off to Silverstone this weekend, hoping for another podium or even a race win!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Jun 2018 at 11:57
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #459
How is the pedal now with that clutch?

Considering one myself - did you do pressure plate or just the plate?
Posted 21st Jun 2018 at 13:43
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #460
Did both. Pedal is definitely firm and the spring back is more than a normal clutch. Bite point is in a reasonable position but travel is limited, any jerkiness in your leg and you're going to stall! When you're used to it it's fine and on track I didn't notice it at all really, only around the paddock.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Jun 2018 at 13:46
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #461
Nice what days you at Silverstone? Might pop along and watch if not working as only just up the road from home
Posted 21st Jun 2018 at 22:10
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #462
Racing Sunday lunch time. Going to be tough, some fast cars!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 22nd Jun 2018 at 10:00
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #463
what power you at now? you still in class B?

Bugger if it was sat id definately pop along but dont think ill make Sunday
Posted 22nd Jun 2018 at 14:19
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #464
bump for no reason apart from its a great read especially if looking to get into racing
Posted 8th Jan 2020 at 13:47
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #465
And Dans selling his MX5 and going to race the 306 again Thumbs up
Posted 25th Jan 2020 at 21:57
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #466
Haven't updated this in ages! Will do an update soon!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 26th Jan 2020 at 11:41
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #467
Thumbs up Look forward to seeing the progress
Posted 26th Jan 2020 at 20:57
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #468
Time for an update! I left off after having just figured out that a driveshaft was broken and was causing the driveline vibration I'd been experiencing for a while. Can't say I recommend JR Driveshafts!

Next race was Silverstone where I ended up getting a win! It was a fairly busy race and had some luck that faster cars in front had issues but still, a win is a win. The race video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_YgvmR4z6g. Quick photo of the team setup:

Oulton was next up and I'd booked a test afternoon on the Friday to get a bit more track time as it's a bit of a trek for us. Testing went really well and I felt comfortable in the car, setting a laptime that was just faster than 2018's quali pole time for the class so I was optimistic.
It only really got better than there, in quali I went 0.9s faster than P2 in class and 1.7s faster than P3. The race was a fairly straightforward lights to flag victory, coming home P1 in class, P2 overall, 5s down on the overall winner (in a brand new Clio Cup car!) and 25s ahead of P2 in class. Honestly this was the best race weekend of my life, for some reason everything just worked and I was hooked up with the car. I think the quali lap was the best I've ever done!
Pole lap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hppAyfoJqrI
Race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJJV8l4mbXk

Some photos from the weekend (including new awning floor!)

Rear tyres were a bit bald!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 22nd Apr 2020 at 09:49
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #469
After the highs of Silverstone and Oulton the rest of the season was pretty disastrous.

Next race was Cadwell that I went to feeling optimistic as I really enjoy the circuit and have had good results there in the past. I qualified well but the race went wrong a few laps in when I was pushed wide on the exit of a corner, then the next one I slid in to the barriers due to the wet grass on my tyres. I got going again after a quick pit check but was last and a long way down the field. Through the rest of the race I managed to come back through the field to 4th in class, taking the class lap record along the way as well. Unfortunately the video didn't capture the crash so it starts after I've come in the pits to get the damage checked out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZe4dRKVN94

Some photos of the damage:

After that was Rockingham, another less successful race. Qualifying was ok, I think in the top 5. In the race I was running 3rd ready for a podium and then the car shut off on the main straight. At the point this happened the car in front of me also had a big spin so I wondered if something was on the track or another issue so bailed out of the car fairly quickly. As it turns out it was just the coilpack plug that had fallen off! Bit of a waste of an entry fee really...

Quick video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUqMzidxzBI

Then on to Brands for the last race of the year. Again, feeling confident for this one as it's my local circuit and wanted a good result. Unfortunately it all went wrong again, this time I hit the barriers head on with 3 laps to go. Easiest just to watch the video to understand what happened. The two white cars in front I was racing for position, I went to get past a back marker and ended up on the damp track and was a passenger from there all the way to the wall.

https://youtu.be/opBXXwq-9Ls?t=2475

Damage was pretty bad:

That wraps up the end of 2018, not the best! The car did get fixed, I'll post about that shortly Smile

Rallye Race Car
Posted 22nd Apr 2020 at 10:12
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #470
Got your moneys worth out of them tyres lol

Glad to see still going with it. Gives me some stuff to watch tonight 👍

Some proper close racing there looks a great series
Posted 23rd Apr 2020 at 20:24
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #471

Hello stranger !!!!
Where have you been ?

Fantastic write up and highs and Lows Dan ..that’s racing sadly ...I love your lorry flooring setup m8 ...hopefully your all sorted now and up for 2021 Thumbs up
Posted 22nd Apr 2020 at 21:16
99rallye

Regular

Post #472
Great write up! But I'm sorry you bent it, I look forward to reading about it's phoenix like resurrection!
Posted 24th Apr 2020 at 08:53
hampstead

Junior User

Post #473
Thanks for putting this up Dan. Entertaining!

Matt
Posted 24th Apr 2020 at 10:54
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #474
I actually raced on those rear tyres for 3 more races after that...!

Was a tough end to 2018, definitely. I've always said the only way I'll ever sell the 306 was if it was written off in a crash and I wondered if this was that moment. I also ended up with a concussion from the crash so was a bit out of it for a couple of weeks. At the end of the day you have to be willing to lose the whole car to be fast on track.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th Apr 2020 at 12:03
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #475
For 2019 I bought a MX5 mk1 to race instead of the 306. I'd actually bought it in March 2018 and it came in handy now the 306 was a bit shorter!

My dad, brother, and family friend all had mk1 MX5s as well so we went off to race in the 750mc 5club series together which is very different racing. Spec series and shorter races is the opposite of what I've been racing in the 306 so I was looking forward to a bit of a change, even if the MX5 was nowhere near as interesting to race. Photo of 3 of the cars in the pre-season:

Pre-season trackday at Snet with my brother:

Bought a new road car to replace the DC5:

First race was at Castle Combe which I've not driven before so that was cool. Testing went well on Friday, although this happened:

https://i.imgur.com/eQGpnus.mp4

Luckily scrutineers weren't that fussed so was able to race and I replaced the bonnet for the next race weekend anyway.

Photo of all 4 cars:

Qualifying was good, I came P6 out of 25 which I was pretty happy with considering everyone else had raced an MX5 before! Unfortunately the race weekend itself didn't go so well. Race 1 I finished in the top 10 but the car started getting hot near the end of the race. Afterward I noticed there was no water in the expansion tank so topped it up and went out for race 2 where the engine temp kept climbing so I retired half way through and missed out on race 3 altogether. Disappointing start but things got even worse for the rest of the team!

In race 2 my dad was run off the circuit and he ended up in the wall quite hard, bending the front of the chassis. A couple of laps later our friend lost control of his car being a bit optimistic in an overtake and slammed in to Dad's parked car. Handily a spectator recorded it all on video for your enjoyment! Dad's is the blue car first in (you can just see me fly through at the start):

https://youtu.be/q1ppWXtt_e8?t=320

Damage to the cars was pretty significant. Dad's car was destroyed front and rear but most of the running gear was intact and the cage was ok. Running gear in our friend's car was also ok (I drove it on to the trailer) but the cage was destroyed on the passenger side so had to be replaced.

So we started the weekend with 4 cars and ended with 1!

After Combe we decided to reshell the 2 destroyed cars and also had to fix mine. Took the head off and had is skimmed then re-assembled it and it wouldn't start. After much trial and error one of the other race teams suggested that oil may have leaked out of the lifters meaning it doesn't have good enough compression so won't fire. To test this out we towed it behind the van round the block while in gear and she started up! However it was not the progress we'd hoped and the car smoked a lot while on power, particularly at constant revs. Decided to take it to Anglesey as it was anyway and it ran ok but the oil pressure was pretty low and still smoked a lot.

Head off:

At Anglesey:

Anglesey was another track I'd not done before and really enjoyed it, well worth the 7 hour drive to get there! After the race we pulled the engine out and put the engine in from Dad's car as he wasn't using it while he was building his new one up. That cured the issues, unsurprisingly!

Rest of the season went ok, couple of 4th places which I was happy about and the car made it to the end of the year intact, although with some other colour paint (rubbin's racing).

Photo of the 3 cars at the final race weekend including our friends new build:

And that was that! I sold the car early 2020 to fund a house I'm attempting to buy and so we're back to the 306....

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th Apr 2020 at 12:41

Pages (21): first .. 18 [19] 20 .. last