displaying posts 401 to 425 of 516

Pages (21): first .. 16 [17] 18 .. last

Author Subject: DemonDriverDan's Race Rallye Project
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #401
It'll be fine, only thing you might find is waiting longer for rear tyres to grip under braking.

I run standard mounts, much prefer them. New beam absolutely transformed my car.

Nothing to see here
Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 20:54
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #402
If it doesn't work out I might look at an adjustable setup, but they all seem to cost a fortune!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 20:56
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #403
Just remember to align it correctly after, there is movement on the mounts where they bolt to the beam, you can square it up properly if you undo the 4x18s and 2x16s

Nothing to see here
Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 20:56
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #404
I need to get the front alignment done so when I get that done I'll get the rear reset as well

Rallye Race Car
Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 20:57
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #405
Rear first, front after...

Nothing to see here
Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 20:57
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #406
Is aligning it something that can be done at home? If so, any tips?
I've not done mine, just stuck the beam on and didnt notice anything untowards so kept it as it is. LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 21:30
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #407
You can but it's a faff. I used the hunter machine at Litchfield when I worked there

Nothing to see here
Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 21:35
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #408
Could you outline the process roughly or is it too lengthy to bother typing?
It took me hours setting mine up to measure bump steer, worth it in the end though and the sense of satisfaction knowing you did it yourself rather than pay someone else to do it was nice.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 16th Nov 2017 at 19:08
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #409
New beam is together and on the car. Was a bit of a faff sorting the ride height as I didn't have a dummy shock but all sorted now.

Monster truck!

Still a bit high

Right height

Bit difficult to see but camber and toe looks good

All new nuts and bolts

I also pulled the inlet off and loosened the head bolts ready to take the engine out of the car shortly

Main blocker to getting the engine out is this MX5 shell we bought to strip down! That and our neighbours entire kitchen in the workshop...

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2017 at 16:25
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #410
I do love your colour scheme
Posted 2nd Dec 2017 at 19:48
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #411
I'm pretty happy with it! Going to make some small changes next year to put some silver on the front so will see how it looks then.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 3rd Dec 2017 at 12:39
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #412
Dan on your dash what settings do you have on the revs? I’m having a right pain trying to get my dash2 pro reading the revs correctly - I’m also on omex but not linked to the dash2
Posted 5th Dec 2017 at 18:08
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #413
All my engine stuff including revs come from the serial connection between the ECU and the data logger. There's a little bit of lag but nothing special, about the only configuration I had to do was on my shift lights!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 6th Dec 2017 at 10:01
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #414
ah OK ... is that plug and play or does it need to be set up? im thinking this may be the way to go but wondering if the £150 is worth it
Posted 6th Dec 2017 at 10:39
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #415
Not quite plug and play, you need to get the firmware version changed in the ECU as the normal firmware doesn't support data logger streaming, this has to be done by Omex. Once the firmware is changed you have to use MAP3000 from then onwards and it's a bit more difficult to connect to the ECU as you have to connect in the first 2 or 3 seconds of start up and it only accepts connections from the last laptop / PC that modified the map. To connect from another laptop you have to send the map to the ECU in the first couple of seconds and it will work.

Once all that's done it's a bit of configuration in the logger to read the connection and it worked fine. I bought my kit with the inbuilt ECU deserialisation but it didn't work so Race Tech sent me an external deserialisation cable that worked fine. I think they've now fixed the inbuilt one, I might try it again soon in case it removes the lag I have.

I think the ECU gives me revs, water temp, air temp, battery voltage, and some other stuff I don't use.

If it's any use I can send you a data log file from one of my track sessions so you can see the data I log?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 6th Dec 2017 at 10:51
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #416
If you wouldn’t mind that would be good it may help lol I’ll ping my email on pm
Posted 6th Dec 2017 at 11:28
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #417
Just got to say Wow at the size of your garage !

Very envious... May see you in 2018 if you are doing MSVR series

Adventure before Dementia !!
Posted 6th Dec 2017 at 16:06
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #418
Cheers Chris, I'm lucky to have this garage! Gets a bit full with the van and trailer in there but no big issue.

I'll be doing Trackday Trophy again next year

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Dec 2017 at 15:08
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #419
With the beam pretty much finished it's on to the next problem of the engine. Over the weekend I took it out of the car and pulled the head off. I should have done a leak down test before taking the head off but was too keen to get it apart so forgot!

The bores look pretty good. There's a little lip at the top but I'm hoping I can clean that up without any machine work. Miles suggested I run some brake cleaner down the bores to see if the rings are leaking anything so I'll do that as well.

Gasket also looked ok so it's looking more likely that the overheat is caused by a warped head.

I sent the head off to a machine shop to have it skimmed but they found they couldn't do it with the valves in. From speaking to Miles and Pete it seems this isn't unusual so maybe nothing to worry about, I know tolerances in the RS engine are tight so perhaps not surprising the valves need to come out for a skim. Hopefully that will be sorted early next week.

Transverse engined 306 Big grin

Finally we have a new addition to the race team, my dad now has his own race car so we're up to 3!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 13th Dec 2017 at 10:04
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #420
heads rarely warp on these much at all, they tend to go on the 4th cylinder to the rear waterway above the water pump, it will often be very difficult to see any evidence due to the steel gasket, corrosion of the aluminium head due to being bolted against a steel gasket can cause issues as well.

if they found they were hitting the valves already I would 100% be checking the height of the head, they shouldn't be, but if its ever been to the midlands for a HG in the past they must have used a plane to skim them not a fly cutter.

the bores look particularly shiny and you can see a gap at the side of the piston, so I would definitely get the bore diameter checked.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Dec 2017 at 11:47
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #421
This head has had a fair amount of work done to it already, Longman ported and polished it so wouldn't surprise me if it's had a skim.

WP, do you know the height of a non-skimmed and where to measure it from / to?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 13th Dec 2017 at 11:47
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #422
137mm +/- 0.05 for a standard head, 136.8mm minimum.

from the mating face up to another machined surface, I don't recall which but it will be obvious.

If it has gone beyond this then its not the end of the world, but I think it will definitely mean new pistons with deeper cutouts.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Dec 2017 at 11:58
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #423
oh and a standard gasket is 1.2mm, there is a repair gasket at 1.4mm but its a fibre not steel multi layer, which in reality should be perfectly fine.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Dec 2017 at 11:59
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #424
Thanks, I'll measure it at the weekend.

If it turns out it's too far I'd need to think about whether it's better to spend the money on new rods and pistons to go with the head or switch to another head without the porting and polishing.

Arguably if I'm going to spend the money on rods and pistons I should go to 2.1 or 2.2....

Rallye Race Car
Posted 13th Dec 2017 at 12:05
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #425
The other mating face to measure to is the face where the cam carriers clamp down on to.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 13th Dec 2017 at 12:13

Pages (21): first .. 16 [17] 18 .. last