displaying posts 76 to 100 of 230

Pages (10): first .. 3 [4] 5 .. last

Author Subject: Nialls GTi6
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #76
allanallen wrote:
Looking good Niall! Looks like you've got plenty of belt wrap on the charger and nice supported 'runs' to it, should work a treat!

You sorted some decent blow off valves yet? What size pulley is on the charger, 65mm?

Cheers Allen. All that nagging did go to some use LOL

I haven't really sorted recirc valves yet. Ive got one from a scooby sitting in the shed but i doubt one will be enough! I am trying to find a high flow one as that will be a bit neater than 2 or 3 of them lol. Will fit the one to start with and see how i get on with it! The charger has a standard pulley on it which i think could be 65mm but I'm already looking at smaller ones!
Posted 19th Dec 2013 at 23:05
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #77
I'd really fit 2 dumpvalves as a minimum buddy it's really important, I wouldn't risk it with one normal one.

I would think you'll crack 220bhp with the 65mm pulley.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 20th Dec 2013 at 08:25
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #78
Good to see someone on the forum trying something different, keep us updated

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 20th Dec 2013 at 08:41
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #79
Great stuff. Would love to do something like this.

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 20th Dec 2013 at 10:44
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #80
allanallen wrote:
I'd really fit 2 dumpvalves as a minimum buddy it's really important, I wouldn't risk it with one normal one.

I would think you'll crack 220bhp with the 65mm pulley.

Yeah ill try and get my self an identical one from somewhere. I did consider trying to use the original butterfly which came on the charger but it would of been far to much work to make it work!
Posted 20th Dec 2013 at 17:15
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #81
Nice project nice to see a different option being tried out
Posted 21st Dec 2013 at 14:41
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #82
Belt routing FINALLY done after getting 2 wrong belts. Quite happy with how its accidentally turned out tbh as I've got quite a nice wrap on the charger so hopefully i won't have any issues with it slipping....but I'm not holding my breath just yet LOL:

Literally just waiting on a few small bits to fit and make up the intake and outlet plates for the charger and then the update after that should be the engine being dropped in!

Posted 27th Dec 2013 at 15:46
rec bri

Regular

Post #83
Would like to see pics of the engine bay,
Posted 4th Jan 2014 at 22:39
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #84
Well new engine is built up now. Just awaiting a few silly little bits

SO today, i started to rip out the old one.

Quick trial fit of the rad and IC to see what needs cutting about

Air con removed and all the other useless s**t

Chocked top engine mount. Not the prettiest job in the world but will do!

And a bit of rust discovered which will be dealt with tomorrow

Ive got to go and pick up some flywheel bolts on Monday then the new engine can be dropped in Big grin
Posted 1st Feb 2014 at 17:07
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #85
Looking very well put together this Yes Thumbs up

Just Drive It
Posted 2nd Feb 2014 at 13:19
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #86
Todays work. I won't explain as i know most just look at pictures LOL

Posted 2nd Feb 2014 at 17:45
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #87
Tidy Thumbs up

What did you do prior to applying the grey primer? Just sanded it down a bit?

Just Drive It
Posted 2nd Feb 2014 at 18:33
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #88
rallyestyle wrote:
Tidy Thumbs up

What did you do prior to applying the grey primer? Just sanded it down a bit?

Ground back all the rust, treated it with Krust, primered, painted and lacquered.

The wheel arches need doing but i doubt ill get time to get them done this week as this is off for mapping on Thursday lunch time Sad
Posted 2nd Feb 2014 at 18:35
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #89
Looking great Nial good luck with the mapping boost FTW .

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 2nd Feb 2014 at 18:55
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #90
superchargedblack1997gti6 wrote:

Cheers Ross Thumbs up
Its not going to be silly fast like yours but I'm hoping for 210-220bhp which should be a good laugh!
Posted 2nd Feb 2014 at 19:07
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #91
Niall wrote:
superchargedblack1997gti6 wrote:

Cheers Ross Thumbs up
Its not going to be silly fast like yours but I'm hoping for 210-220bhp which should be a good laugh!

Given the costs that would be a pretty good result id say Yes

Where about's are you going to get it mapped?

Just Drive It
Posted 2nd Feb 2014 at 21:15
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #92
Oh and if you are looking to get shot of your engine stand let me know, will probably be needing one if all goes to plan Thumbs up

Just Drive It
Posted 2nd Feb 2014 at 21:19
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #93
It's being mapped at Track n Road in Rainham on Thirsday so really cutting it fine!

Engine stand is already promised away but if it doesn't go, I'll let you know Smile
Posted 2nd Feb 2014 at 21:22
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #94
Niall wrote:
It's being mapped at Track n Road in Rainham on Thirsday so really cutting it fine!

Engine stand is already promised away but if it doesn't go, I'll let you know Smile

Right place to go Yes Thumbs up

No worries about the stand but yep let me know if anything changes Yes

While you are at TnR can you do me a favour and find out their preferred aftermarket ECU? Im assuming Omex or DTA but im still undecided on what i want to end up with Doh Cheers :-)

Just Drive It
Posted 2nd Feb 2014 at 22:11
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #95
They are not fussy between DTA or Omex Hence why i went with a Omex. I spent about an hour on the phone to one of the Steves when i booked it in and about half hour a few months before hand when they were just giving me advice before i had even said i was interested in booking it in with them. Seem like top blokes who really know their stuff! Getting a bit nervous about getting it to them now though!
Posted 2nd Feb 2014 at 22:17
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #96
Niall wrote:
They are not fussy between DTA or Omex Hence why i went with a Omex. I spent about an hour on the phone to one of the Steves when i booked it in and about half hour a few months before hand when they were just giving me advice before i had even said i was interested in booking it in with them. Seem like top blokes who really know their stuff! Getting a bit nervous about getting it to them now though!

Sweet Smile When i was over there for a rolling road day i was impressed with the setup, they certainly seemed to know what they were talking about and were very interested Yes

You trailering it?

Just Drive It
Posted 2nd Feb 2014 at 22:29
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #97
nah driving it. Ive got a proper map for a standard gti engine so I'm going to drive it over there with the charger disconnected (thats going to be bloody noisy lol) and then when i get there, pipe up the charger to the throttle body and fit the 440 injectors and away they go! Omex have also sent me a base map for the charged engine so will try that just to make sure everything works as it should Smile
Posted 2nd Feb 2014 at 22:36
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #98
Sounds like a plan Yes Best of luck Thumbs up

Just Drive It
Posted 3rd Feb 2014 at 08:14
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #99
It Lives!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcZmBKd5KiA

But what a bloody nightmare today has been. Started off with getting the rest of the wiring in place. Took the charger off to get to the alternator and realised the pulley on the charger was locked up. Turned it back and there is several massive gouges out of the rotors so that is one scrap charger. Thankfully I've got one arriving tomorrow which has lightened my pocket to the sum of £130 but these things happen.
Anyway, whilst i sulked about that, we got the rest of the wiring in, throttle cable mount made up, radiator in, fluids in and fitted the ECU. turned the ignition on, connected the laptop and it found the ECU straight away. good news. Loaded up the map i have and time for the first start.....nothing. No fuel pump. Thankfully i was just being stupid and forgot to supply a positive connection to the fuel pump relay so bodged that in and fuel pump is working. Second start....nothing. Got fuel but no spark or injectors opening. Check the supply to the relay that controls the injectors, lambda and coil pack. Nothing. Trace it back to a bad bit of soldering. Bodge that together and still nothing. After a call to omex, turns out i needed a bigger fuse for that relay so it kept on blowing the one i was using. Fit a bigger fuse and third time....something! Im not going to lie, it was far from a graceful first start. It eventually chugged into life and minute by minute, became smoother and quieter. Try to blip the throttle and it stalls. Great. Checked the laptop and the TPS wasn't working until about 15 degree throttle so as soon as you opened the throttle, you was getting extra air but the ECU wasn't supplying any fuel. Edited that on the laptop and it ran sweet as a nut.

Still lots to go yet. All my pikey wiring needs repairing and sorting, oil needs draining and refilling, oil cooler needs fitting and a few other bits but over all despite my tantrums about the charger and it not starting first time, its all going in a positive way!

Oh and my speedo now starts at 20mph...guess that needs calibrating lol.

I fitted the charger to use as a pulley to start the car up and despite the chronic damage, its silent (Well no unusual noises i mean) and seems to make boost so its not as bad as i thought but I'm not taking the risk now.
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 19:03
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #100
that sounds like its idling quite steady for a base map, are you still running a stepper motor idle valve or are using scatter spark?
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 19:42

Pages (10): first .. 3 [4] 5 .. last