displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: No dash?
binkagti

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Right am picking up a gti 6 tomorrow that has been rather stripped by its owner lol, it has no interior no dash nothing.

How would you guys go about getting it ready just as a track car, would you try and get another dash and put it in and wire it all up, not sure what wires are still left mind, just use the clocks etc and indicators for track use and build some sort of make shift housing.

Does a track car have to have lights indicators tax mot insurance that type of stuff, any help would be great.

Tom

TEAM Supercharged Rallye

Posted 5th Aug 2012 at 23:25
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I've been on track before with stuff that doesnt have lights or indicators, but it was annoying as i couldnt tell if they were pulling over to let me past or just hanging right ready for an upcoming left hand bend, it was some bag of crap ferrari replica and offended my eyes. Laugh

If the current owner has kept in enough wiring for lights and general running then i'd leave it how they've done it, it took me many hours stripping my loom for bare essentials and i've still ended up with a few getting left in. Doh

I dont think track cars need tax, mot or insurance as long as they are trailered there. I dont know if they need lights/indicators but i'd personally keep them wired up.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 5th Aug 2012 at 23:32
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
No, you don't need an MOT/insurance for a trackday.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 6th Aug 2012 at 01:00
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
What Phillip said, plus no you don't need any kind of indicators of lights, but they can be handy. A lot of the time you're expected to indicate to let people know you're letting them past, so you'd probably be expected to use hand signals like some of the single-seater guys do.

Just chuck a dash (or half a dash, like I did) back in and plug it in. Not a massive job, and far easier.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 6th Aug 2012 at 13:08
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #5
I'm pretty sure you have to have a visable brake light, and working indicators. After that i think its up to you, if it was me i'd get a half dash in there and get the lights working as i have been to snetterton when it was raining and you had to have your lights on before they'd let you on track!

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 7th Aug 2012 at 09:11
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Yeah I doubt they'd let you on without brake lights, whether they'd allow hand signals in a closed car no-one knows.

It's probably one of those where it's less about what's permitted, and more about what's sensible. If people don't know you're letting them past, they'll stay behind or overtake when it's not safe. If they don't know you're braking, they'll run into the back of you and spin you out. If it's raining they might not see you coming and you'll come together.

So yeah, stuff a dash back in Thumbs up

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 7th Aug 2012 at 10:23