displaying posts 26 to 50 of 79

Pages (4): 1 [2] 3 .. last

Author Subject: i'm bloody bouncing!
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #26
barry.rs wrote:
Andy my point which seems to have been missed is that you are allowed to run a car repair business without planning permission under permitted development rights (assuming its not a relatively new housing development).

You simply need to demonstrate that the points I posted do not apply to your situation to the council.

But I bet he is'nt declaring it as a business and paying taxes, rates etc. and that's a can of worms I'm sure Andy doesn't want to open.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 14:22
barry.rs

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
He doesn't have too as long as the property's primary use is still a dwelling Jim.

Its no different to me working full time from home in a dedicated office.
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 14:26
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #28

this is were i'm confused.

surely running a business means you are earning to make a living ?

i work full time, and only supply rebuilt beams for those people who want someone they can trust.

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 14:29
barry.rs

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
If you have a full time job as an employee but work on cars in your spare time you should fill out a self assessment for tax reasons but only if you earn over £2k per year from it iirc.

Edit.

Just tell the council that you run a part time business from your home that you believe is allowed under your permitted development rights; I really dont think there is anything they can do about it Thumbs up

If any tax questions come up simply state that you can demonstrate that you earn less than £2k a year and therefore don’t have to declare it.
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 14:36
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #30
many new build, and older ex-council estates have a clause that you cannot run any kind of business from the premises, you need to check that if the business thing is a route you are considering.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 15:11
mark.evs

Senior User

Post #31
Ask them for proof of what you've supposed to have been doing, as said previously you've only been maintaining your 'old' cars, and helping out a few friends with rear beams because u have the 'correct tools'. Then u could always hide a few bits at your brothers and invite them round to show them that nothing dodgy is going on. keep it simple.

My GTi6 track project

White Rallye project
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 15:57
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #32

right, my reply letter has been written, and posted.

i have been as honest as possible, and have stated that i hope a compromise can be reached, to allow me to still do work on my cars at my property. i have also asked for them to check with other neighbours, if they think i'm a nuisance.

so, thanks for everyones input. much appreciated Thumbs up

will keep you informed of progress

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 16:57
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
Pain in the arse all this palAngry

maintaining your own cars is a hobby as far as I'm concerned.

Your garage and drive are well hidden too,between yours and your bruvs house,really can't see how you effect any of your neighbours at all.

welshpug! wrote:
many new build, and older ex-council estates have a clause that you cannot run any kind of business from the premises, you need to check that if the business thing is a route you are considering.

As above on our estate,no business use what so ever allowed from residential property.

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 17:06
judge dead

Regular

Post #34
Tell them you need to carry out the work on you're car ure self because you cant afford to keep putting it into garages for every small thing that goes wrong. probly some w*** wanting the 80 quid for spotting a possible tax evasion. working without paying tax on it ect...
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 17:40
binkagti

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
You are legally alound to start work at 7am till 11pm, i am a landscape gardener and where possible try not to use any loud machinery before 8am, on Mon however we had to clear 6 tree's before the builders were turning up with a digger, 7.50am i start the chain saw, within 3 mins i had a neighbour around going mental at me, i had printed what it states on the goverment website about noise pollution clearly stating the above times, i showed it to the lady and she walked off lol.

TEAM Supercharged Rallye

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 17:59
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #36
binkagti wrote:
i had printed what it states on the goverment website about noise pollution clearly stating the above times, i showed it to the lady and she walked off lol.

That's what you call forward thinking mate. Thumbs up
Good on you. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 18:16
darzmat

Senior User

Post #37
binkagti wrote:
You are legally alound to start work at 7am till 11pm, i am a landscape gardener and where possible try not to use any loud machinery before 8am, on Mon however we had to clear 6 tree's before the builders were turning up with a digger, 7.50am i start the chain saw, within 3 mins i had a neighbour around going mental at me, i had printed what it states on the goverment website about noise pollution clearly stating the above times, i showed it to the lady and she walked off lol.

ye i was pretty sure it was 11pm. i changed my struts one night when i got home after midnight, i live in a culdesac, and thankfully not a word was mentioned.

had hassle once out at my mates work shop. and we had a half hour long argument with this stupid bint that was sure it was a 9pm cut off.

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 18:23
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
binkagti wrote:
I had a neighbour around going mental at me, i had printed what it states on the goverment website about noise pollution clearly stating the above times, i showed it to the lady and she walked off lol.

That's interesting Hmm

Don't suppose you have a link to that please?

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 18:28
asim_pug306

Senior User

Post #39
This is complete bo***cks. How can anyone stop you from your hobby!? As long as your being reasonable with the amount of noise you make and the time you work then what the hell is the problem. I would be going mad if this happened to me, hope you can get it sorted mate.

'01 Astor Grey GTi6

'99 Cherry Rallye
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 18:29
darzmat

Senior User

Post #40
The Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 amended the Noise Act 1996 and enables local authorities in England and Wales to tackle night time noise emitted from dwellings and gardens between the hours of 11.00 pm and 7.00 am. To enforce these powers local authorities must ensure that an environmental health officer takes reasonable steps to investigate complaints about noise emitted from dwellings. If the officer is satisfied that noise exceeds the permitted level, a warning notice may be served on the person responsible. If the warning is ignored, the officer may issue a fixed penalty notice of £100, enter the dwelling and confiscate the noise making equipment (obstructing confiscation carries a fine of up to £1000), or prosecute (fine up to £1000). In Scotland similar action can be taken under the Anti-Social Behaviour (Noise Control) (Scotland) Regulations 2005.An extension of the Noise Act came into force in February 2008, enabling local authorities in England and Wales to tackle night time noise from licensed premises.

http://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/noise/environmental-noise/noise-pollution/

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 18:36
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
Firstly, please note I completely agree with you that it's overly heavy-handed and they're going about it the wrong way.

However, think if you were the neighbour - all you know is that there's a guy next door making a racket and possibly running a business he's not meant to be. My neighbour's dog never stops barking and that p**ses me off enough, I can only imagine what an air compressor must be like.

What's a shame is that they didn't just talk to you - if my neighbour came over and said look, your compressor's too loud, can you do something about it then I'd be fine with that - it can probably be built into a box for very little money, everyone's happy.

Councils however can't be bothered with getting into details and chats between people though, they'll just be hoping you accept their letter and shut the hell up, even though they probably know you won't.

They shouldn't threaten you, but you also shouldn't make loads of noise and p**s off your neighbours, that's not fair on them. The problem is that whilst rebuilding beams isn't your sole income, you do make profit from it - as soon as you're doing that it's no longer a hobby.

Whether you're doing anything illegal or not is yet to be seen, but you should perhaps consider what you can do to improve things for your neighbours - if they know you're a reasonable person (assuming you are) then they'd talk to you rather than the council next time, and you'll be free to carry on doing what you're doing unhindered.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 19:18
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #42
Stab neighbour=no problems
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 19:28
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
roland rat wrote:

Different problems, perhaps.

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 19:31
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
owain wrote:
roland rat wrote:

Nah just get a witness to give you an alibi that you were making loads of noise at the time with compressors and beams while collecting cash off customers.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 19:38
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #45
roland rat wrote:

Subtle, but effective.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 19:48
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #46
owain wrote:
roland rat wrote:

Nah dead neighbours don't complain Wink
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 19:51
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
Depends, you never said "stab neighbour to death", you said "stab neighbour". Expect a follow-up letter from the council stating that now not only do you have an angry neighbour but now you have an angry neighbour with a kitchen devil sticking out of their leg.

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 19:53
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #48
owain wrote:
My neighbour's dog never stops barking and that p**ses me off enough, I can only imagine what an air compressor must be like.

Plus if you thought the dog may be making an income in the process, you'd perhaps be inclined to complain.

While you may only rebuild the odd beam for a few quid, the neighbour in question doesn't perhaps see it as that. Unfortunately as you don't know who you're up against you can't just approach them without going door to door.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 20:03
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
    dangti6 wrote:
    Plus if you thought the dog may be making an income in the process, you'd perhaps be inclined to complain.

Well that's exactly it - sometimes he's just barking at seemingly nothing, sometimes it's at the fence but sometimes he's on his phone, and I'm pretty sure he's barking at a sales department abroad somewhere, but I can't really hear the details.

dangti6 wrote:
    While you may only rebuild the odd beam for a few quid, the neighbour in question doesn't perhaps see it as that.

That's exactly my point - your neighbour just sees your working on cars half the time (which would be a *lot* for a hobby) and reasonably assumes it's your job, which it kinda is. If my neighbour made loads of noise outside my house doing far more work than could ever be just more than DIY I'd be p**sed off and would want them to shut the hell up.

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 20:06
    sarahsix

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
    You'll probably find that the council have a duty to follow any complaints up, they do this with an officially worded letter which sound scary, chances are that you'll reply telling them that you're not making lots of noise at all hours, and not doing it for reward (gifts or money) then they'll just let you carry on with what you're doing.

My sister put a static caravan in our parents garden at the start of the year and the council wrote a letter saying they were contravening planning laws & that the caravan would have to be removed etc etc...one phone call from my mum is all it took to get an email of apology and a 'carry on as you are' from the council.

Good luck with it all though Smile neighbours can be a right pain in the butt sometimes.

keep the machinery between the greenery

R766JKV nile blue gti6 - sold Sad
    V634DLR black gti6 - sold
    Now driving a skoda furby vrs - for sale
    Currently piloting an Audi a3 sportback
    Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 20:21

Pages (4): 1 [2] 3 .. last