displaying posts 1 to 25 of 79

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: i'm bloody bouncing!
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #1

some may have read that i've had issues with the local council as of late. telling me i'm i'm causing a nuisance working on cars aon my own property.

my brother lives next door and has no issues with what i do. he knows i've grown up on the spanners, and have always been doing something or other with vehicles.

i've had no major issues since i moved here 10 years ago. now all of a sudden, someone has something to say! not to me though, which is really p**sing me off!

i'm not an unapproachable person, but obviously some spineless twat, doesn't think they can have ' a quiet word'

to top it off now, i have just recieved a leteer saying i must cease all work i do, regular or not, AND i have to have planning permission to have a compressor in my garage!

Angry Angry Angry Angry

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 12:13
rikky 🦔

Post #2
that's stupid! i've been worrying about stuff like this recently with my neighbours, nobody's ever said anything and i don't take the p**s really, i do most of the work in the garage but i've been known to bang around outside and having 3 or 4 cars a month sometimes (my own, not breakers!). i asked someone about it and he reckons 10am making noise any day of the week up until about 8pm is completely fine and doesn't constitute unsociable noise

makes me laugh though the anonymity of it all

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 12:17
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #3
Surely by law they cant stop you "maintaining" your own car?and im sure its BS about having planning permission about the compresser.

get a massive shed,call it a workshop and f**k them all off Thumbs up
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 12:17
barry.rs

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
From a planning point of view I would guess they are trying to apply the following to your activities.

1. Will your business involve any activities unusual in a residential area?

2. Will your business disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance such as noise or smells?

If I was you I would write a polite letter stating the frequency you carry out work, if its private or for profit and highlight how the above and following issues do not apply to your situation and therefore you consider it to be “permitted” and not require planning permission.

Will your home no longer be used mainly as a private residence?
Will your business result in a marked rise in traffic or people calling?

Whatever business you carry out from your home, whether it involves using part of it as a bed-sit or for 'bed and breakfast' accommodation, using a room as your personal office, providing a childminding service, for hairdressing, dressmaking or music teaching, or using buildings in the garden for repairing cars or storing goods connected with a business - the key test is: is it still mainly a home or has it become business premises?
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 12:24
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
in reply to barry.rs

1 - not really. most people work on their own cars
2 - i only work between 9am and 6pm tops

all work is carried out on my driveway, and 99% of the time as close to my garage as possible

i buy and sell a few bits and pieces. but traffic is no different to me having 3 or 4 visitors a week

on the very rare occasion i may burn the old rubber mounts out of 205/309 beams

noise can't really be an issue, as my brother next door would tell me

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 12:31
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #6
Tip if you need it for burning mounts without smoke is to get a wood fire going nice and hod, a smashed pallet works well for fuel, and when the fire is established throw the mounts in one at a time at two-three minute intervals, burns them out lovely, fish em out of the ash the following day and nobody gets there knickers in a bunch about palls of oily black smoke tainting their delicates out on the washing line.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 12:39
barry.rs

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
In that case Andy I would write back explaining the above or perhaps give the council a ring and see if they will meet you at home to discuss the matter.

Make sure you dont loose your rag and keep everything polite, have a good tidy up if necessary and make an effort to keep the noise down (little things like turning a radio down will help) for a while as they may surprise you with a visit.
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 12:42
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #8

tbh, i've not burnt any mounts out since january time.

when i do, it only takes maybe 20 mins

i know 2 other neighbours with compressors aswell.

the council are making out i am constantly working on cars, when in fact it maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

should i go straight in and see my solicitor? or go see c.a.b?

if they're gonna stop me working on my own premises, on my own cars, they may aswell cut my arms off! f**king tossers!

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 12:48
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Write a letter, complain and carry on as normal. Thats what i'd do anyhow.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:26
rikky 🦔

Post #10
whose house is it?

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:31
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
aaron6 wrote:
Write a letter, complain and carry on as normal. Thats what i'd do anyhow.

already on it mate Thumbs up

am explaining what i do, and when.

also going to suggest he talks to other residents, and not take the word of one

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:32
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #12
That means that up to 150 days a year you are out working on a car, I think its pretty easy to see why someone might think you are running a business from home with that ammount of work going on. I feel for you I really do, but that much activity is tough to keep off the radar. Obviously you should appeal against it but in future you will need to find a way of working in a less visible way. Do you have a driveway and garage big enough to work in so you are off the street?

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:34
rikky 🦔

Post #13
i am keen to know if you do this 'work' on your driveway or your street outside.. if it's your own driveway surely you can do what you want?!

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:37
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #14

i currently work 4 on 4 off.

i own a peugeot so i know that there is always something that needs doing.

yes i could afford a brand new car. but where's the fun in that.

i've grown up on the spanners

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:38
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
rikky wrote:
i am keen to know if you do this 'work' on your driveway or your street outside.. if it's your own driveway surely you can do what you want?!

my house, my driveway, and my garage is about 20 metres from the road

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:39
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #16
rikky wrote:

Not the case unfortunately, if it's upsetting someone (Rightly or wrongly) and the Council listen to them and step in to put a stop to the activity (Be it loud music, Barking dogs or Vehicle repairs) then you are over a barrel.

Harness bars
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:40
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #17
Can't you rent some space somewhere to do your beams?

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:42
    matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
    Ive seen your street/house/garage Andy. Is your brother on the right of yours (as you look at your house)?

If so could you not put gates up at the end of the drive and work behind them, between the gate and the garage?

I know you shouldnt HAVE to but it might be a way round it. As for the compressor, build a noise proof cupboard for it?

As for the neighbours, you obviously have one who's got a bee in their bonnet over it. w**kers.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
    2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
    2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
    Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
    Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:44
    rikky 🦔

Post #19
    i've started doing grinding and stuff in the garage at mine so i'm not on my drive, anything to prevent complaints really as i'm the youngest on our culdesac and a few people don't like that LOL i'm clearly not good enough to live here it seems or they think i'm a drug dealer with cars coming and going all the time

the other weekend the mrs took a photo of me taking my 205 engine out on my driveway with a crane. she stuck it on facebook. nothing out of the ordinary here? well it seems so. loads of people commenting on it like it was something i wasn't allowed to do!?

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:45
    gota6again

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
    Just want to say this is BS. You own your place (I'm guessing) and not running a business from there, therefore you can do what you want!?

The whole snitching you up to the Council is a p**stake and I would contact them and provide the facts. People can have house parties and be bad neighbors and councils "can't" do anything, yet as soon as somebody as yourself gets grassed they suddenly have powers!

Good luck in getting this sorted Thumbs up
    Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:47
    jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
    dangti6 wrote:
    Can't you rent some space somewhere to do your beams?

if i was supplying axles every week, i'd take all my parts to my dads yard. but tbh, i probably do one axle every 6-8 weeks at the moment.

it's quitened down lately. so much so, i'm just selling them and not taking pxs.

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:52
    matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
    Trouble is as soon as the council know Andy gets paid for doing work for others from his garage (assuming any money changes hands and not sexual favours) its classed as a business from home.

Unfortunatly some folks hate others having any intuition or ability to get on in life. Theres a bloke in my road, makes kids garden furniture from his double garage, only ever works in there during the day (monday to friday), never late, sometimes you hear the band saw going but no-ones bothered. He's not hurting anyone, or disturbing anyone, and he's a useful pair of eyes to have in the street.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
    2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
    2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
    Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
    Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:52
    rikky 🦔

Post #23
    matt evans wrote:
    Theres a bloke in my road, makes kids garden furniture from his double garage, only ever works in there during the day (monday to friday), never late, sometimes you hear the band saw going

what a bas**rd, get him reported!

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:54
    jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
    good suggestion about the gate matt Thumbs up

ideally, i need mr f**king jobsworth to come here, and we can go through what i can do to make ammends.

i can't do anymore than

make sure all work i do is between 9am - 5-30pm (maybe a few hours on a sat) and when i'm not at my full time job
    make sure all work i do is down, and as close to my garage as possible
    make sure garage door is closed when compressor in use (there will be occasions i need to use the air tools outside though)

Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 13:59
    barry.rs

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
    Andy my point which seems to have been missed is that you are allowed to run a car repair business without planning permission under permitted development rights (assuming its not a relatively new housing development).

You simply need to demonstrate that the points I posted do not apply to your situation to the council.
    Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 14:16

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last