displaying posts 1 to 25 of 28

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Manifold only, how loud?
funkymonk

Regular

Post #1
How ridiculously loud would a LBSC car be with just a manifold and cat attached? Are we likely to be talking in excess of Stans impressive 130db with a full exhaust? LOL . I seem to remember a video of a car at CG Cars with just a manifold, anyone got a link to that?

Also would it be detrimental to the car in any way to be run without a full exhaust for a hypothetical 20 miles or so? Obviously wouldn't be driven hard!

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't...
Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 21:38
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I can lend u a system if u want for the 20 miles

Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 21:53
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Very.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 21:54
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #4
Ridiculously loud, it will make mine sound quiet. LOL

Also, there will be a lot of heat from heat from the exhaust gases coming out in the wrong place and will make the floor of the car very hot if the exhaust ends after the CAT.

Why do you wish to do this anyway?

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 22:19
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
LOUD! I revved mine with a knackard CAT (no exhaust) and it was REALLY LOUD!

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 22:20
funkymonk

Regular

Post #6
Cheers mate, but the problem is I want to fit my maniflow manifold to see if it gives any gains and because it puts the cat join under the car and I am lazy! Also nobody will buy it LOL .

Not sure of the best way to get it to the exhaust place if I do fit the manifold :S

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't...
Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 22:20
funkymonk

Regular

Post #7
Yeah did think that Stan :S As above need a pikey way to move car if I change the manifold. Hmmm does sound like it would be too ridiculous to pull off!!

Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 22:22
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
^^Join the rest of the system with some exhaust bandage + steel wrap.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 22:25
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
funkymonk wrote:
Cheers mate, but the problem is I want to fit my maniflow manifold to see if it gives any gains and because it puts the cat join under the car and I am lazy! Also nobody will buy it LOL .

Not sure of the best way to get it to the exhaust place if I do fit the manifold :S

Tow it, or contact a recovery place.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 22:30
funkymonk

Regular

Post #10
Need to work out how far down the manifold comes and see if I can bodge it together as Phil says. Got nobody handy with a suitable tow car or trailer, and I think recovery will try to bodge exhaust on, realise it never came of that mani in a month of sundays and tell me to do one.

Anyone know if the larger diameter longer branch maniflow 4-1 manifold will make any difference to performance?? I know general feeling on here is standard manifold is perfectly suitable for big power, but I have already got the manifold and don't fancy changing the decat for cat every year in the standard position, yes I'm a big girl but it is such a ball ache!!

Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 22:41
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Me and Rikky took the cat and exhaust off my old nile in an underground garage in Manchester.

We started it up and it sounded like a top fuel dragster right next to my ear!!

If When you get pulled over you may get a chav asbo for your car or indeed it towed away for being unroadworthy
Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 22:51
funkymonk

Regular

Post #12
Yeah I've never heard one without any silencing, have heard a top fuel dragster though and they are ridiculous! It's over the plains and would keep the "fallen off" exhaust in the car, but if it is as awful as it is sounding then as you say it isn't worth the risk. Bodge FTW

Edit to say: Do have a cat that came with the manifold, so my question really was would that make any difference?

Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 22:53
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
The cat will run mega hot anyway but i imagine you would need the rest of the system to help the manifold

Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 23:09
darzmat

Senior User

Post #14
i know mine isn't charged but i drove mine round for a night while my exhaust was getting repaired, just had the manifold and cat, was really loud, sounded amazing higher up the revs, if its only for 20 miles iyou will be fine.

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 6th Jun 2012 at 00:26
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
i have a vid somewhere of when i rebuilt my car Whistle

also my exhaust snapped once just after where my "cat" should be, limped the 5 mile home
my seat was like a massage chair Yes

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 6th Jun 2012 at 14:54
rikky 🦔

Post #16
gilesy wrote:
Me and Rikky took the cat and exhaust off my old nile in an underground garage in Manchester.

We started it up and it sounded like a top fuel dragster right next to my ear!!

If When you get pulled over you may get a chav asbo for your car or indeed it towed away for being unroadworthy

LOL was very very loud, would not advise driving with an exhaust like that

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 6th Jun 2012 at 14:58
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #17
darzmat wrote:
i know mine isn't charged but i drove mine round for a night while my exhaust was getting repaired, just had the manifold and cat, was really loud, sounded amazing higher up the revs, if its only for 20 miles iyou will be fine.

Why would you do this? LOL

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 6th Jun 2012 at 15:16
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #18
Will sound like a 4" Magnex system with a hole in it.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 6th Jun 2012 at 15:20
    eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
    My cat was split once about 80% of the way around.
    It was very loud, 2 mins driving gave me a headache, and WOT was literally rally car levels of noise.

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
    Posted 6th Jun 2012 at 15:29
    funkymonk

Regular

Post #20
    Russ to confirm was that broken after a decat section not a cat yeah? If the manifold comes down to roughly where my cat - mid section is currently I could bodge it together I think. I know the cat is very restrictive in the system as a whole but how good is it at silencing by itself? LOL

How hard is the manifold to remove and refit? I know subframe has to be dropped that's not a problem, recommended tools to get to the nuts? As they are hidden behind bits of manifold!!

Posted 6th Jun 2012 at 16:08
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #21
    To get at the manifold bolts you will need a 13mm ratchet spanner and a 13mm socket on a 3/8 drive ratchet and these will see you get all 10 nuts off. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 6th Jun 2012 at 16:55
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #22
    I had a cat crack on me as I was driving in to Manchester to stay the evening with my brother, and had to drive down the A49 to Newport to avoid the M6, some 4 hours odd, with the cat sitting on the subframe Laugh my ass off

needless to say WOT and anything over 50 mph was avoided LOL tbh, it wasn't THAT loud idling....

Subframe does NOT have to be dropped, whip the inlet and top r/h engine mounting off and tilt the engine forwards supported by a jack.

tools I use are a Snapon 6 sided socket and a ratchet, none of this 12 sided crap!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 6th Jun 2012 at 16:57
    ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
    Agree with Welshy that it isn't 'THAT' loud and to answer your question above the cat does help quieten it down a bit, manifold only would be a bit of a No No Tbh.

Do what you said and keep the bit that 'fell off' in the boot incase you do get stopped and you'll be fine, again without a cat present you'll have a much harder case to fight so try and fit that for definite.

Ryan
    Posted 6th Jun 2012 at 19:05
    swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
    Take manifold off gasses straight from the head ftw and say it fell off Laugh my ass off

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
    blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
    Black p3 Love
    Posted 6th Jun 2012 at 20:56
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #25
    LOL

I remember fixing a tapper once and putting it all back together and then firing it up only to find I'd not joined the downpipe to the manifold. The noise when it first caught made me jump about a foot in the air! Laugh

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 6th Jun 2012 at 22:41

Pages (2): [1] 2