displaying posts 1 to 25 of 55

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: Track cars vs. M.O.T
Lowercase

Regular

Post #1
Hi,

did a search but can't find anything helpful...

how are those of you who have track cars as their dailys handling the new MOT rules?

most of all those of you who have ripped out your death trap airbags, fitted racing steering wheels or have bucket seats, modified seat runners or harness's fitted?

cheers guys Smile

1992 205 Rallye - S2 Rallye Engine
Posted 14th May 2012 at 19:23
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #2
Start thinkin about buyin a Trailer! Thumbs up Thats what i've done anyway, for more reasons than just the MOT! Roll eyes

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 14th May 2012 at 19:24
Lowercase

Regular

Post #3
jeffers wrote:
Start thinkin about buyin a Trailer! Thumbs up Thats what i've done anyway, for more reasons than just the MOT! Roll eyes

certainly helpful if you stack it at least lol, saves you answering the question of how your planning to get home

Posted 14th May 2012 at 19:27
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #4
Buy two the same colour,keep on standard and trackday prep one.Then just swap plates at MOT time

Thumbs up LOL
Posted 14th May 2012 at 19:27
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Read many threads about this and got my mate who is an MOT tester to look into. He contacted VOSA and they said basically rally cars, or cars with rollcages, harnesses etc would be exempt from the rules.

I may get him to contact them again and get them to send it out in writing though...

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 14th May 2012 at 19:29
Lowercase

Regular

Post #6
yea would be good to have that 'officially'

my airbag lights on as its old and french, but i was planning to remove them anyway as i don't trust air bags and don't want them in my car,and will fit my omp wheel and recaros at the same time, so definately doing away with the airbags in the seat, just wondering if i should dive in and get it done or try and swap my 6 for a poverty spec rallye.

Posted 14th May 2012 at 19:44
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
if you have cage fixed seats and harnesses, fire away and rip it all out, remove the ecu as well and the bulb.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th May 2012 at 19:55
Lowercase

Regular

Post #8
at what point is your car classified as a 'rally or 'race' car?

Posted 14th May 2012 at 20:11
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
when its done one? LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th May 2012 at 20:15
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Haha, if its caged or even stripped. Basically anything that seriously looks like it will be going on a track is exempt.

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 14th May 2012 at 20:18
Lowercase

Regular

Post #11
ill wham part of a tyre wall into the front bumper before MOT Wink that should fool them...

Posted 14th May 2012 at 20:21
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

Posted 14th May 2012 at 20:49
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Dodgey mot Wink

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url &amp; =
Posted 14th May 2012 at 22:08
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #14
eddy_gti6 wrote:
Dodgey mot Wink

Dodgy,just like your spelling Wink
Posted 14th May 2012 at 22:12
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Stupid predictive text on my phone Whistle

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url &amp; =
Posted 15th May 2012 at 02:56
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Dodgy MOT you say...................

at the end of the day its going to come down to the person testing your car.

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 15th May 2012 at 04:15
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
jeffers wrote:

Well I'm glad to hear you have so much space and money, that must be nice for you Wink

Ah, another thread with the same old random speculation and opinion about the new MOT rules. I put mine through its MOT last month, and it passed legitimately, and here's how.

1 - Keep the original seat belts in as well as your harnesses. The harnesses then become non-testable, so aren't a problem.

2 - The airbag issue was changed at the last minute to just be an advisory not a fail, so isn't a problem. I've actually removed all trace of airbags, so they didn't even bother with that.

3 - Sun strips need to come off beforehand if they encroach on the wiper area, else you'll fail twice - once for the driver's side and again for the passenger's.

4 - I've removed ABS and rear compensator, and have a bias valve in the car. I explained this to the garage, they just adjusted the bias until the rear passed (i.e. set it up for road use) which is fine. As long as the entire ABS system has been fully and obviously removed, it's not testable.

5 - Removing rear seats isn't a problem, they just put it as a note on the MOT. It's been tested as a 2-seater, so if you put the back seats back in the MOT would be invalid.

6 - Only the windscreen is testable, so polycarb sides are rear are no problem.

7 - Bonnet just has to be secure and not able to come open, so bonnet catches aren't a problem (although I don't have them on mine)

8 - Boot opening isn't testable, so doesn't matter as long as it's secure

9 - Spare wheels aren't mandatory, so that's not a problem

10 - I have tape over my lights, they've added this as an advisory but not a fail

Job done. I suspect if you went somewhere like Kwik-Fit for an MOT they'd s**t themselves and come up with all kinds of reasons to fail it, but by the rules it should actually pass fine. Just because my car's got loads of stuff removed doesn't mean it's not roadworthy, and for all the b**ching, crying and panic that went on about the new rules they weren't actually that bad. Any garage with the slightest bit of common sense can tell the difference between a track car and a chavmobile, as long as they know that you'll be fine Thumbs up

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 15th May 2012 at 07:32
woody.

Senior User

Post #18
Good info Owen Smile
Posted 15th May 2012 at 16:32
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
woody. wrote:
Good info Owen Smile

Who's Owen?! Wink

Posted 15th May 2012 at 16:33
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #20
atterz wrote:
Haha, if its caged or even stripped. Basically anything that seriously looks like it will be going on a track is exempt.

Really?

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 15th May 2012 at 16:36
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
    Oh yeah, because I heard the government put in a rule that says "oh, but if it looks like they're a trackday enthusiast let them off, no point taxing them further as I'm sure they've already spent more than enough".

It's more that the MOT test is a test of roadworthiness, and any track car should also be roadworthy else what the f**k are you doing getting in it?!

Posted 15th May 2012 at 16:42
    jeffers Forum Admin

Post #22
    owain wrote:
    jeffers wrote:

Well I'm glad to hear you have so much space and money, that must be nice for you Wink

Ah, another thread with the same old random speculation and opinion about the new MOT rules. I put mine through its MOT last month, and it passed legitimately, and here's how.

1 - Keep the original seat belts in as well as your harnesses. The harnesses then become non-testable, so aren't a problem.

2 - The airbag issue was changed at the last minute to just be an advisory not a fail, so isn't a problem. I've actually removed all trace of airbags, so they didn't even bother with that.

3 - Sun strips need to come off beforehand if they encroach on the wiper area, else you'll fail twice - once for the driver's side and again for the passenger's.

4 - I've removed ABS and rear compensator, and have a bias valve in the car. I explained this to the garage, they just adjusted the bias until the rear passed (i.e. set it up for road use) which is fine. As long as the entire ABS system has been fully and obviously removed, it's not testable.

5 - Removing rear seats isn't a problem, they just put it as a note on the MOT. It's been tested as a 2-seater, so if you put the back seats back in the MOT would be invalid.

6 - Only the windscreen is testable, so polycarb sides are rear are no problem.

7 - Bonnet just has to be secure and not able to come open, so bonnet catches aren't a problem (although I don't have them on mine)

8 - Boot opening isn't testable, so doesn't matter as long as it's secure

9 - Spare wheels aren't mandatory, so that's not a problem

10 - I have tape over my lights, they've added this as an advisory but not a fail

Job done. I suspect if you went somewhere like Kwik-Fit for an MOT they'd s**t themselves and come up with all kinds of reasons to fail it, but by the rules it should actually pass fine. Just because my car's got loads of stuff removed doesn't mean it's not roadworthy, and for all the b**ching, crying and panic that went on about the new rules they weren't actually that bad. Any garage with the slightest bit of common sense can tell the difference between a track car and a chavmobile, as long as they know that you'll be fine Thumbs up

Its not that i particularly have the space or the money, But when you tax and insure the car as i know you do owain, it becomes a matter of logistics for me, and 3 years at a push of Tax MOT and Insurance outweighs the cost of a trailer, the car can live on the trailer so the 'space' is not too much of a problem on my Terraced house driveway! Wink

Team Negative Camber!
    Posted 15th May 2012 at 23:46
    chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
    Better with a transporter rather than trailer anyway jeffers lol

This is always going to fall down to up to the MOT tester at time of test, as some testers will be better than others, our tester is a rally driver an co driver who builds rally cars, so hes quite good lol, an other boy is realistic, plus my dads a tester aswell, but things like if the seat is fixed, it doesnt have to move but if its on orginal runners an f**ked then thats a fail, harness's are ok as long as there fixed properly an that nothing to worry about as such as long as your mot tester isint a bellend!

In my garage just now

& Audi Q5 S Line
    Posted 16th May 2012 at 00:03
    jeffers Forum Admin

Post #24
    chrisd306 wrote:
    Better with a transporter rather than trailer anyway jeffers lol

This is always going to fall down to up to the MOT tester at time of test, as some testers will be better than others, our tester is a rally driver an co driver who builds rally cars, so hes quite good lol, an other boy is realistic, plus my dads a tester aswell, but things like if the seat is fixed, it doesnt have to move but if its on orginal runners an f**ked then thats a fail, harness's are ok as long as there fixed properly an that nothing to worry about as such as long as your mot tester isint a bellend!

I agree but im just pi**ed off with payin all the bills for a road car that only sees the road on the way to a Trackday, whilst i see ur point about a transporter, it kind of ruins the idea of takin the car off the road in the first place! Roll eyes

Team Negative Camber!
    Posted 16th May 2012 at 00:07
    chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
    lol suppose you will have granddad rights and are allowed to tow a trailer or you done the test, what i like about transporter is its hassel free, although not as much room for spares an with l200 you could sit at 80 with cruise control on happy but transits not got the legs, also down side with transit is i have to use it when im not offshore if theres a break down, but think there has maybe been 3 customers cars ever on it lol

In my garage just now

& Audi Q5 S Line
    Posted 16th May 2012 at 00:17

Pages (3): [1] 2 3