displaying posts 151 to 168 of 168

Pages (7): first .. 5 6 [7]

Author Subject: Eliot's China
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #151
No not yet, I'm not in much of a hurry really but need the actual charger, and fans.

I need to make a decision on what intercooler i'm going with too and ideally i want to fit brakes/wheels first Smile

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 18th Jul 2013 at 15:59
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #152
Practically rocking backwards and forwards in my seat with excitement

Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 14:34
7057sam

Seasoned Pro

Post #153
Go for the pro alloy one.carl does them, they wrap around the rad instead of under it.

Rallye build: 11 November 1998 - a Wednesday
Team rallye,built for track
----Click this if you like rallyes

Rallye dead Sad
Secret Team Astor...
Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 15:35
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #154
Yeah seem them. A lot of money for an intercooler mind.
Anyways, just got back.

Car feels amazing! Literally cannot express how much better it feels now its completely transformed the car and it is so composed on the road now its just a awesome drive. Obviously you can only tell so much on london roads and i didnt feel like i could push it as i need to get the tracking done tomorrow.
But driving it like it is now i just know it was all worthwhile which is good because it was all getting a massive chore.
Me and the car are firmly back in the new love zone again, reminds me of when i picked it up really, although in truth its 10 times better than that now.

The clutch is light as a feather, i stalled it once when i first got in it but other than that it was very easy to move off even with the flywheel, which bring me too my next point

Initially i was not disappointed but under whelmed with the flywheel, it was barely noticeable. These times though i was mainly setting off when the temps were fairly high or the car had been still so i think that may have been heatsoak. When things got flowing however it became more and more clear that 1st gear has become savage past 4k, feels like its working well with the exhaust in the top end and it smashes from 4k to 7k.
I didnt feel that it drops the revs badly when changing gear like some have said but i will need to drive it on proper roads before being certain.
Cant wait to get it aligned in the morning and go for a quick spin.
I need to get some decent tyres up front now to use all these upgrades effectively i think.
Gear rods feel nice. It was always a nice gear change but i would say it qualifies for rifle blot sensation now.
Cannot believe how light the clutch is, it feels almost hydraulic.
Its a bit of a mindf**k driving it really as everything has all of a sudden come together and so much was done in one big hit.
Mainly i just cannot wait until next time im in south wales so i can take it on some roads i really know see just how much of an effect its all had on handling
Anyway, enough babbling.
A million thanks to Deepak for sorting all of this out for me, as always he comes highly recommended from me.

Only thing to note is i epic fail kerbed my cyclone when parking it up at home but they are going soon anyhow.

Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 19:32
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #155
Like you I felt a little underwhelmed with the flywheel after driving it for a bit. It is noticeable but I think you need more power to really notice the weight saving, and the ability to go through the gears quicker.

Would I get one again? Yes but on the cheap. Its a lot of money for a new one I think for not much difference, I would source a 2nd hand one. I also got an alloy crank pulley.

One thing I wouldn't do again personally and that's my Miles gear linkages, great product but for me and the crazy mileage I do, I do get a constant rattle that most of the time doesn't bother me due to my music but I should have stuck with standard links.
I noticed almost no difference in the gear change but that's because my original linkages were in pretty good nick I think, did add one of those new return ball lever things too.

Enjoy your mods though, had my new clutch at the same time as flywheel/crank pully grades too and been on the car now for about 65k miles. My clutch still feels really light because of the amount of motorway miles I do!

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 20:00
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #156
Yeah your clutch wont stay light for long! lol
Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 20:31
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #157
I do a lot of motorway these days as well.
I would by the flywheel again to be honest

Its one of those nice to know its there things as well you know?

Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 21:01
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #158
Yeah man i had my clutch done at 72k with a original valeo. There was nothing wrong with the last one but it was getting very heavy. New one in, few weeks of feather light clutch and its back to heavy but not stupid like it used to be. Hydraulic conversion could be good!
Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 22:39
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #159
Just gone out in it again. Such a joy to drive. Could literally drive in for hours on end now. Over the moon tbh. Also i take back some of the doubt about the flywheel earlier. Its very noticable and actually pretty awesome.

Posted 20th Jul 2013 at 00:28
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #160
I was going to say you can't be very observant of how your engine revs/used to rev!Wink

Really does feel like a big restriction has been removed, and the revs pick up loads easier/fasterCool

Niall wrote:
Yeah man i had my clutch done at 72k with a original valeo. There was nothing wrong with the last one but it was getting very heavy. New one in, few weeks of feather light clutch and its back to heavy but not stupid like it used to be. Hydraulic conversion could be good!

Something not right thereDunno did you fit new cable?

As mines no heavier now after 12 months of use and circa 10k miles. Thumbs up

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 20th Jul 2013 at 06:40
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #161
Yeah its weird but the time you can really tell is about from 22 mph in 1st and if you were going roughly the same in second and then floor it.

Posted 20th Jul 2013 at 07:55
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #162
Just been driving around my hood.

f**k me. This thing is like a bloody go kart compared to before.
Grip is insane and the turn in and correctability is just weird, you can keep adjusting the front end way past where the limit was before...
Basically you can behave like an absolute twat with the front end and it will do exactly what you want it too.

Cant wait to get some decent tyres now!

Posted 27th Jul 2013 at 01:06
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #163
Nice when you can feel your money spent was worth itCool

Have you got strut braces on the front?
Fitted a lower one to mine and that has tightened up the front endYes
Also tightened the upper one on Phil s advice to pull the strut tops in sightly, this too has improved front end turn-in/gripThumbs up

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 27th Jul 2013 at 10:43
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #164
Yeah ive got one of phils lower ones on there, i feel like its helping and is probably the main cause of improvement with changes of direction and the amount of grip you have when turning quite tight on a roundabout etc. Obviously with having so much changed in one big whack its quite hard to know whats changing what really.
The complete package though is just awesome.

Posted 27th Jul 2013 at 11:08
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #165
So broke.
MOT time tomorrow as well.

I can forsee one of three outcomes

A)Pass with flying colours

CoolOne of those annoying fails like emissions

C)Your exhaust is loud. f**k you.

Posted 16th Sep 2013 at 16:50
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #166
I replaced practically everything at the front end as well as the rear shock eyelets and beam bushes, though all with OE not upgrades like yours. I've also got a KD racing upper brace and a Xsara VTS steering rack. Like you I find the transformation amazing. The adjustability mid-corner is better than anything else ive driven and it is a great drive bar none. Driving it around Ireland at present and really enjoying it. Some people might be getting a bit bored with these cars now and eyeing up newer stuff but I'm still over the moon with mine and am keeping it indefinitely.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 16th Sep 2013 at 22:34
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #167
You charged this yet or still talking about it.....

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 1st May 2014 at 20:15
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #168
Not yet. I could do it tomorrow to be honest but im thinkibg long and hard about what im doing first, in no rush anymore really. Realistically i see no reason to sell it. Even if i get another car.
Anyway, i hadnt driven it for a good month or so until today, maybe two. As you would expect the battery was flat as a pancake.good thing i saw sense to test starr it tuesday. So. Wednesday i took a visit to the local eurocarparts and picked up a bosch s4 battery. Fitted it last night. Didnt die of electric shock which is always a start
Some fat tart obviously sat on my bonnet at some point and it was dented good and proper! b**ch. Anyway punched ther bugger through and its just as f**ked as it was before the fat tart, ill see what i can do about that on the weekend. As for now got a few little jobs to do, new aux bekt to fit, a change of the box oil and while doing the aux belt, i figure i will fit the pulleys in the sc kit. Why not eh?
Big job of the weekend though is finally sorting out the s**tting metallic vibrating sound i have had for years. Fitting a new set of cam covers as the thread on my exhaust one is ****** so that should sort it.

On a another note. Two cures to cureing gti6 woes.
A) smashing it off the line at the severn bridge toll
Cool owning a corsa vxr and watching the look on there face as a T reg 306 shoots past.

Posted 10th Jul 2014 at 23:04

Pages (7): first .. 5 6 [7]