displaying posts 51 to 75 of 94

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4

Author Subject: Rich w flywheel?
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #51
i can understand this being moved but why to engines? surely it should be transmission like the others about flywheels?

supercharged China gti6 - Thu 16th Sep 1999 - sold
2010 megane rs250
Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 19:19
paul_13

Senior User

Post #52
Flywheel has always been engine related in my eyes.

205 GTI6- Rebuilt engine, lightened flywheel, lightened pulley, 307 hdi brakes, Koni struts on gravel spec springs, 22mm TB's, 24mm ARB, Roll cage, Citreon ZX rear dampers, SL434's, Xsara box, Quickrack, Pipercross enclosed induction kit. Smile

Private work, not a prob Smile
Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 19:31
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #53
Yup the flywheel attaches to the engine!!

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 19:34
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #54
yes but isn't it in the gearbox/clutch casing? sorry if thats the wrong name but you should get what i mean. that imo makes it just as much transmission as it is engine?

2010 megane rs250
Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 20:23
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
m306 wrote:
yes but isn't it in the gearbox/clutch casing? sorry if thats the wrong name but you should get what i mean. that imo makes it just as much transmission as it is engine?

Its on the crank so probably more engine related but who really cares? Roll eyes

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 20:40
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
I don't care, I'd just like the issue sorted before everyone has to pay for new flywheels Yes

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 20:44
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
Pretty sure Rich was replacing the old style when they were damaged. If this has only started recently with the newest new batch maybe it's another manufacturing problem? Can noone just contact Rich for an answer?

**EDIT I also read that the HDI (or was it XUD?) starter motor was preferable as the teeth made better contact with the ring gear. Is everyone having trouble using the GTI6 starter?

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 21:03
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #58
Chaps,

I have looked into this, given it is clearly raising concerns for people, although as far as I can see (but correct me if I’m wrong) there’s only two people with an actual problem.

I spoke to the manufacturer today, and explained the issues people have described, and I asked them to compare one of their flywheels (from the most recent batch) against an OEM flywheel.

The parts have been checked on a Co-ordinate Measuring Table, and the diameter, tooth pitch and other critical dimensions are all as per the OEM flywheel.

Not satisfied with this, I have also performed my own checks.

Below we have a lightweight billet steel flywheel (again, from the current batch) and an OEM cast flywheel.

As you can see, the OD, tooth pitch etc are all identical, as they line up perfectly.

As far as I can see, there are no issues with the lightweight flywheels, therefore the only conclusion I can draw is the issues are installation related. I welcome further queries by PM, and will endeavour to assist where possible.

Regards,
Rich

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 21:29
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #59
those teeth are narrower however Hmm

though given that it looks to be on the opposite side to the starter that shouldn't cause any problems.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 21:45
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #60
welshpug! wrote:
those teeth are narrower however Hmm

Yes, to save weight.

If you look at the OEM flywheel, the starter doesn't even use the full width of the teeth (there are small marks if you can see them), hence the width is reduced as it's pointless having excess material on a product designed to save weight.

Smile

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 21:49
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #61
it got to be the metal on metal sound surely because of the different styled billet :s

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 21:53
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
This is why when I get one its going to the man himself. Or one of two men named Carl. No point f*cking about really

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 21:55
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #63
hovis16 wrote:
it got to be the metal on metal sound surely because of the different styled billet

Unfortunately it's more than that. My mate who has this problem had a lightened one before which sounded normal. Starter failed and stripped the teeth, new lightened wheel on - now it makes the noise.

Obviously that means the starter has been changed as well, I'll see if he can find anything out about it.

But it's not just to do with it being billet.

Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 22:20
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #64
why? any mechanic can fit it Huh?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 22:20
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #65
Worth getting someone who knows the car perfectly though, could just be that the mechs who've fitted them are missing something specific to this car.

To be clear - who's actually experiencing this issue, and when did you buy them? My mate James (Hartley on here, I think) bought one a couple of weeks ago, and it's making an odd metallic noise when it starts. He had a lightened one before that did not. Starter and fly have been replaced I believe.

Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 22:22
davewagon

Senior User

Post #66
This might or might not help, but mine was bought and fitted towards the end of 2008, and I don't seem to have any problem with it?

(Although I wasn't even aware there could be one, so I'll listen carefully on next start up, but I'm sure it is fine)

Team: Moonstone GTI-6
Team: Working air-con™

ian7675 wrote:
Remember....a 6 isn't just a car, it's a part time job Thumbs up
Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 22:35
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #67
Lets not forget that gears wear together as a pair, both the ring gear and teeth on the starter bendix will be wearing, in many cases these will be pretty rounded and worn by now. If you suddenly replace one item with a newly machined square edge like the new flywheels will be then there may be some binding issues with rounded or hooked teeth on the starter which may cause it to fail to engage fully or worse to not disengage once the engine starts. As this damage is often masked by corresponding wear in the standard flywheel it only becomes apparent when you fit the new one. Obviously some starters will be in better conditon than others hence certain people having no issues whatsoever (mine fitted just fine and worked faultlessley, just like everything else I've bought off Rich) and others have suffered problems. Basicly it's bad practice to match worn gears/chains/sprockets etc. with new ones, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't, but like anything, you modify one thing, you find the problem with something else, it's just how it is.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 22:57
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #68
daveyboy wrote:
Lets not forget that gears wear together as a pair, both the ring gear and teeth on the starter bendix will be wearing, in many cases these will be pretty rounded and worn by now. If you suddenly replace one item with a newly machined square edge like the new flywheels will be then there may be some binding issues with rounded or hooked teeth on the starter which may cause it to fail to engage fully or worse to not disengage once the engine starts. As this damage is often masked by corresponding wear in the standard flywheel it only becomes apparent when you fit the new one. Obviously some starters will be in better conditon than others hence certain people having no issues whatsoever (mine fitted just fine and worked faultlessley, just like everything else I've bought off Rich) and others have suffered problems. Basicly it's bad practice to match worn gears/chains/sprockets etc. with new ones, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't, but like anything, you modify one thing, you find the problem with something else, it's just how it is.

Makes sense, my starter was changed for a 53k one when the dowel was put back in.

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 1st Nov 2011 at 00:06
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #69
I'll try and get a recording of the sound when I'm at work on Thursday, what Jim's saying would make sense but it sounds worse than the average whine you'd get from teeth.

Plus we're talking new starter and fly at the same time.

Posted 1st Nov 2011 at 08:10
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #70
owain wrote:
Worth getting someone who knows the car perfectly though, could just be that the mechs who've fitted them are missing something specific to this car.

To be clear - who's actually experiencing this issue, and when did you buy them? My mate James (Hartley on here, I think) bought one a couple of weeks ago, and it's making an odd metallic noise when it starts. He had a lightened one before that did not. Starter and fly have been replaced I believe.
same here mate

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 1st Nov 2011 at 08:50
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #71
hovis16 wrote:
owain wrote:

same here mate

Same for me, bought and fitted a couple of weeks ago. Had it professionally fitted so not doubting that it is correct. I'm getting the noise but as Miles said earlier mine should be ok. Would like to know the cause though

2010 megane rs250
Posted 1st Nov 2011 at 09:58
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #72
Yeah, Hartley's one was fitted by a mechanic so again no reason to doubt. It would just be extremely annoying to find out in three months' time that it *is* a problem, and everyone's out of pocket by a flywheel.

Posted 1st Nov 2011 at 10:02
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #73
Anyone have anymore info on this?

Bought Anth's car off him and share everyone's concerns..

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 31st Jan 2012 at 08:01
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #74
mines been fitted 2/3 years and has been fine

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 31st Jan 2012 at 08:49
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #75
Does yours make the "noise" when starting the car?

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 31st Jan 2012 at 08:55

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4