Nah, keep up the good work mate!

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 20th Sep 2012 at 16:19
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #102
A little update for this project, and curiously a step in the direction of luxury and not 'track', which leaves me a little uneasy and almost questioning my sexual preference, but hey ho, I do live in Brighton. When in Rome...

As ever, mine is a car of compromise. All things to all men, or perhaps more accurately few things to even fewer men. But whilst driver feedback and fun has always been at the very root of my modifications, I can't get away from the fact that I steer the old girl to work every day, and 2 pokey little paper speakers just don't cut the mustard when going head to head with 2metres of stainless pipework and no rear seats. So audio upgrade was next on the seemingly endless list of things to do to the car (A list I've "finished" on more than one occasion...I thought)

I know sweet FA about wires and speakers and head units, so last year struck up an accord with a chap from Huets, and set about spec'ing a bespoke, light, non-invasive audio package to allow me to sing at the top of my voice and not have to hear it. I definitely didn't want some filthy great boom box in the boot, but equally wanted good quality and clarity. And didn't want to spend that much..
I bought a few used bits and bobs, and few bits from him, and then left it with him to do his craftsman thing.

Theres an Alpine amp tucked away beneath the centre console.

New front JL speakers with independent tweeters carefully, sympathetically installed.

JL 6x9's in the rear door cards (parcel shelves are for ladies) and some lightweight Dinomat to keep resonance down on the inside of the panels

And it really does sound amazing. Yes theres a few extra kilos back i the car, but my drive to work is musical extravaganza now!! Really happy with Huets workmanship and quality. The gaffer, Pete, shared my interests and passions, and didn't seem to mind me getting a bit anal about certain things. I highly recommend them.

The keen eyes among you will also notice I've slipped a thin acoustic carpet in the back for day to day living, for that factory R26.R OEM look.

The next, and more recent update is all about aesthetics. Its not new, you've all seen it before, but the white and black theme has finally, inevitably made its way to the headlights. Like many others, I've lined Gnrlee's pockets and picked up some black masks (mate, you should cut down on the fags, you made my car smell simply from the ambient perfume of the box you packaged them up in!) Great quality and finish, and now on, it really has freshened up the front end, and given it a more purposeful look.

Heres a few before and afters. Whats not to like...

(excuse my shadow...apparently we still have a sun!!)

Thats about it for now.

Tune in next month when I'll be bringing news of Quaife and Goodwood...

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 19:48
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #103
Loving the black masks. Really updates the car, but not blingy, nice and subtle. Really suits the Rallye.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 20:35
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #104
Much better with black masksCool

New number plate required nowWink

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 21:17
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #105
That harness bar really sets off the interior, where did you get it from? Whistle

Seriously, yours is my favourite Rallye on the forum and represents a perfect blend of well honed performance and everyday usability, hats off.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 21:24
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #106
daveyboy wrote:
That harness bar really sets off the interior, where did you get it from? Whistle

Seriously, yours is my favourite Rallye on the forum and represents a perfect blend of well honed performance and everyday usability, hats off.

Cheers buddy Blush

Speaking of that ropey old length of scafolding, just last week some commented on the quailty of the welds.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 21:39
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #107
I get lucky once in a while and do a good job. Must have been your lucky day too Wink

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 22:07
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #108
I told my mate today that I am doing almost exactly the same with the rear end, I am thinking of using a sound deadening, thin plywood (9mm) and then carpeting that to look a lot better. I am not that fused on the weight saving as I am only doing track days for fun but want buckets and harnesses to fit properly.

He thought I was an idiot, saying that I could save 25kg, which I could but then 25kg isn't much compared to how loud and annoying it would be totally stripped.

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 23:03
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #109
daveyboy wrote:
I get lucky once in a while and do a good job. Must have been your lucky day too Wink

I said they commented on the quality. Not that it was high...Whistle

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 18th Feb 2013 at 11:01
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #110
jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
I told my mate today that I am doing almost exactly the same with the rear end, I am thinking of using a sound deadening, thin plywood (9mm) and then carpeting that to look a lot better. I am not that fused on the weight saving as I am only doing track days for fun but want buckets and harnesses to fit properly.

He thought I was an idiot, saying that I could save 25kg, which I could but then 25kg isn't much compared to how loud and annoying it would be totally stripped.

I must admit, I think I share your mates view. Whats the point in the plywood!? Even if you're not concerned about weight as such, It doesn't mean you want to fill it to the roof with medicine balls. That carpet in mine is about 3mm thick, and its perfectly bearable plodding up and down the motorway. Its not 'modern family saloon queit', but its certainly livable.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 18th Feb 2013 at 11:09
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #111
daveyboy wrote:

Brown noser LOL

Coming along nicely mate,keep up the good work!
Posted 18th Feb 2013 at 11:48
gwyn rallye

Regular

Post #112
Very nice mate! Like the spec, as said a fresh number plate and bonnet decal would finish the front off nicely!

Bianca white 306 Rallye
Arctic blue Clio 182 FF
Alpine white 205 1.9 GTI
Posted 18th Feb 2013 at 11:56
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #113
gwyn rallye wrote:
Very nice mate! Like the spec, as said a fresh number plate and bonnet decal would finish the front off nicely!

I've got a decal waiting to go on now you mention it. Just need to get around to washing the bloody thing first..

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 18th Feb 2013 at 12:53
Lowercase

Regular

Post #114
looking good mate, good shout with the acoustic carpet on the metal work. might have to steal that idea!

1992 205 Rallye - S2 Rallye Engine
Posted 18th Feb 2013 at 19:27
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #115
Who knew the rash and carefree “Well I’ve done some overtime” purchasing and fitting of a Quaife ATB diff would actually cost less than not purchasing and fitting a Quaife ATB diff. Strange though that sounds, it is in fact true. When I arrived at Lynx to collect the Rallye a few weeks ago, I learnt that in removing the old diff, it was discovered that not one, not two, but all the bolts securing it were just finger tight. How this came to be I wouldn’t like to speculate, but I’m pretty sure if left alone it would only have been a matter of time before I was driving over my own gear box. This would’ve caused me some displeasure. But mercifully that wasn’t my fate, so instead lets look at pictures of metal things containing oily helical magic.

It works too! I don’t dount there’s a number of people out there immediately unsheathing their I Know Best fingers to unleash some uncompromising words about the superiority of plate diffs. Well put your angry fingers away - for my needs, this thing is the bees knees. The resistance to understeer is greatly improved. Where it would once be losing the scrabbley battle for grip and allowing the front end to wander off in protest of my wanting to get any power down, it now it says "Ah Mr Bray, I notice you’re keen to invest some of your power out of this corner. Please, allow me to distribute this in a more profitable way for you”
Its a lovely thing feeling the car gripping, really driving out of tighter turn, with conviction and sure footed-ness.

And it earned its money over the Easter weekend…

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 16:20
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #116
braymond wrote:
‘Ah Mr Bray, I notice you’re keen to invest some of your power out of this corner. Please, allow me distribute this in a more profitable way for you”

Laugh

Good stuff mate Smile

I really want a lsd for mine, but its on the long list of other things that need paying for first Sad

Also, plate diffs are better for track work, but isnt yours still a daily? If so, atb is surely better? And I like the idea of "fit and forget".

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 3rd Apr 2013 at 22:23
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #117

Looking at image of the circuit, you’d be forgiven for thinking it was a pretty easy circuit. You’d be wrong. It’s technical and very fast. Most of the braking zones are off camber, require you to shave off not insignificant amounts of speed, and aim at an unseen apex. For this reason, the first session wasn’t exactly “fun”. Tip-toeing around the corners, trying to feel your way in and get to grips with where to brake, where to turn, where to accelerate was a steep learning curve.
But sessions 2 and 3 were amazing. Once the breaking zones were familiar, the lines comfortable, you could carry big pace , brake, feel the weight shift and settle, then feed the Quaife assisted power back in for decent drive down the next long straight section, with speeds nudging over 120.
The weather was bitterly cold, but dry, and once the tyres had some heat it was one of the best trackdays I’ve done.

Being Goodwood, it’s a gentlemanly civilised affair too. Amongst the track focused cars of today, there was also an immaculate E-type wallowing around the circuit, names of the racing greats everywhere, and even cake.

A few pics..

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 3rd Apr 2013 at 22:25
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #118
cjm_harris wrote:
braymond wrote:
‘Ah Mr Bray, I notice you’re keen to invest some of your power out of this corner. Please, allow me distribute this in a more profitable way for you”

Laugh

Good stuff mate Smile

I really want a lsd for mine, but its on the long list of other things that need paying for first Sad

Also, plate diffs are better for track work, but isnt yours still a daily? If so, atb is surely better? And I like the idea of "fit and forget".

Exactly. So for all the reasons you mention above - it's right for me.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 3rd Apr 2013 at 22:28
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #119

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 3rd Apr 2013 at 22:30
7057sam

Seasoned Pro

Post #120
Looking great.was the trackday a special event or a random trackday as I never see them come up for goodwood.

Rallye build: 11 November 1998 - a Wednesday
Team rallye,built for track
----Click this if you like rallyes

Rallye dead Sad
Secret Team Astor...
Posted 3rd Apr 2013 at 23:45
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #121
7057sam wrote:
Looking great.was the trackday a special event or a random trackday as I never see them come up for goodwood.

Yep just a normal public session. Perhaps only available on their own wwbsite? Not cheap though, could only stretch to a half day.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 4th Apr 2013 at 08:05
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #122
Looks like it was quiet though so you get your moneys worth.

I went for a plate diff as I found a normal LSD quite underwhelming on my previous car, but it's also not a daily it's a toy with track bias. Quaife didn't do anything for me on my last car personally.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 4th Apr 2013 at 08:17
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #123
tvrfan007 wrote:
Looks like it was quiet though so you get your moneys worth.

I went for a plate diff as I found a normal LSD quite underwhelming on my previous car, but it's also not a daily it's a toy with track bias. Quaife didn't do anything for me on my last car personally.

Horses for courses. For a track ready road car its the perfect fit.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 4th Apr 2013 at 10:00
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #124
Good reading Braymond. The quaife is as you rightly say, the best compromise for a lot of people.

Certainly the fit and forget side is what i'd go for. Does the gearbox still use conventional gear oil or is there a specific stuff to use?

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 4th Apr 2013 at 10:16
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #125
matt evans wrote:
Good reading Braymond. The quaife is as you rightly say, the best compromise for a lot of people.

Certainly the fit and forget side is what i'd go for. Does the gearbox still use conventional gear oil or is there a specific stuff to use?

Conventional oil Yes

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 4th Apr 2013 at 10:23

Pages (6): first .. 4 [5] 6