displaying posts 1 to 25 of 27

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Excessive bumpsteer and vibration
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hello again!

I have recently replaced my wishbone bushes completely, drop links replaced with rose joints and also fitted my AVO GTZ coilovers.

However i am getting a lot of bump steer and the steering still feels a bit vague. I have also just realised i have vibration at 80-90mph.

I havent yet replaced my track rod ends and i have 2 different tyres on my front axle (bad i know)

Any ideas people?

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 3rd Aug 2011 at 19:53
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
when did you tighten up all the bushing bolts? ideally you want the car sat down in its normall position not up on stands...

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 3rd Aug 2011 at 19:54
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
did you get the tracking done and how low is it?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 3rd Aug 2011 at 19:56
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
-400mm.....

309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 3rd Aug 2011 at 20:13
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Wow wow wow dont be like that mate Smile. Its a 30-40mm drop to match the rear that had been performed during AdamB's ownership. No i didnt realise that it was best to tighten up the bush bolts when it had settled.

It also has not yet been tracked. Would this cause vibrations also?

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 3rd Aug 2011 at 20:18
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
haha, was only messing around. how hard/soft are the dampers, what lb springs are fitted?

yeah when the bolts are tighened up in the air the bushes are all sat at the wrong andgles and there always running under some tension when its back down to ride height

Smile

309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 3rd Aug 2011 at 20:24
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
I have set the dampers front and rear to half of there adjustment settings if that makes sense. In the middle kind of thing. Im not sure what spring rate is fitted, nothing was printed on the springs themselves. 250lb maybe?

Ahh ill slack them off when i have it over a pit and then re-tighten them back up. The old pbushes were fubared and i replaced them with the powerflex ones.

owain wrote:
Posted 3rd Aug 2011 at 20:34
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Any ideas then? Im going to replace the TREs before i get it tracked up and then replace the 2 front tyres due to being underpaid this month!! Smile. I also notice a clunk through the steering at low speeds as the steering wheel crosses over center.

owain wrote:
Posted 3rd Aug 2011 at 21:26
vincemasi

Post #9
had same problem with my car when replaced the bushes. sounds like your tracking needs doing.
Posted 11th Aug 2011 at 14:17
mark.evs

Senior User

Post #10
Tracking wouldn't cause a clunk tho, it'll just wear your tyres uneven. It does sound like it might be rack, rack end, snapped spring, dry bearing on the top mount or a wheel is loose.lol. best thing is to get it jacked up and shake everything and see if anything has play. get someone to move the wheel for you and see if you can hear where the clunk is comming from.

My GTi6 track project

White Rallye project
Posted 11th Aug 2011 at 19:08
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Had it over a pit today. There is some noise around the rack area but i couldnt pinpoint wether or not it was the TREs or inside the rack itself. The UJs on the rack seem ok, springs are new as are the top strut bearings.

Tres are the only thing i havent replaced.

owain wrote:
Posted 12th Aug 2011 at 03:15
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Back to this, tightened all the bushes up on the floor and adjusted the droplinks. Still get cronic bumpsteer. Ie steering wheel is all over the place on rough ground. Had the car 4 wheel aligned not long ago...

Could the extra castor from the powerflex pbushes be causing issues?

owain wrote:
Posted 28th Nov 2011 at 21:26
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
i think it maybe down the spring lb and the droplinks......i sort of have the same at the mo feels like one wheel lifts from the front some time??? and tends to be snappy at high speed?

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 28th Nov 2011 at 21:44
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Steering clunk could be the top of the column again. Did it before and replaced it with one from pugplus.
Rack might not be the same as when I had it due to subframe change. The tre's were pretty new though if it is.

I would say damping mismatch on the spring rate. Take the front shocks to zero and work back up. Rear should be stiffer anyway.

What settings have been used to align it?

Nothing to see here
Posted 28th Nov 2011 at 21:52
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #15
You are getting more feedback through the wheel as your bushes are harder now, as there is less rubber between you and the mechanicals. Bump steer is when you hit a bump and without making a steering input the wheels change direction, this is normally caused by poor steering/suspension geometry. I think 306's are pretty well resolved when it comes to bump steer, unless you have made a drastic alteration to the wishbones or steering rack height you will be experiencing something else. What are your rear bushes like for instance? And I would give a big thumbsdown for any product made by powerflex if their enginemounts are anything to go by. IMHO go rich_w or OEM.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 28th Nov 2011 at 21:57
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Cheers again. I am running avo gtz coilovers at the moment and ive slackened them off a fair amount. The clunk does sound like its coming from the inside of the car so the top of the column seems a likely suspect. Easy enough job?

With bump steer will the steering wheel follow the direction the car wishes to take? It does handle well on smooth surfaces there is no doubting that. The only really modification is the powerflex bushes, i intend to change them to roller ones when funds allow. I should have done it orignally to be honest. Everything else is OEM apart from Rose jointed drop links.

The rear mounts may be past there best and again i intend to go solid when funds permit!

Ive got a few quick Qs via PM if thats ok Daveyboy?

And the alignment was performed by Carl so im not 100% sure what they have been set to.

owain wrote:
Posted 28th Nov 2011 at 22:25
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #17
Sure fire away.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 28th Nov 2011 at 22:34
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Rear mounts were done at 120ish k miles for lemforder ones.

Think Welshpug changed the column - drop him a PM.
I remember the replacement column not looking the best at the time, but was loads better than the one that was in there (bearings had gone).

Nothing to see here
Posted 29th Nov 2011 at 09:47
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #19
check that the steering column pinch bolts are all done up, I know the subframe would have been changed if its an XU again now.

oh and the rack to subframe whilst you're at it, make sure the crush tubes are in the subframe too.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th Nov 2011 at 10:06
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
The rack to frame is spot on, im guessing the mounts are due a change as its on 153k now mate.

Ill have a look at the pinch bolts.. and what are crush tubes?

owain wrote:
Posted 29th Nov 2011 at 12:51
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #21
mounts should last a lot more than 30k.

crush tubes are inside the subframe to stop the rack bolts squashing the subframe.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th Nov 2011 at 12:57
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Ill have a look!

owain wrote:
Posted 29th Nov 2011 at 13:07
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Crush bars are still there. Im really stumped to be honest. Maybe the steering rack isnt central? I really dont know where to start with it all, really out of my depth!

owain wrote:
Posted 5th Dec 2011 at 22:51
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #24
easy to check the rack, measure from the tre to the lock nut.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 5th Dec 2011 at 23:25
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
Should be equal?

owain wrote:
Posted 5th Dec 2011 at 23:56

Pages (2): [1] 2