displaying posts 101 to 125 of 408

Pages (17): first .. 4 [5] 6 .. last

Author Subject: Mik's Rallye
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #101
Just done a trip Lincoln - Cirencester return, drove until the fuel light was on. On one tank of fuel I covered 391.6 mls and used 53.84 litres keeping to around 70mph. An online mpg calculator showed 33.06 mpg which I thought was good, and as a general indicator of the car's health (lambda, other sensors etc) seems quite OK. It also seems to show the brakes are no longer binding (as mpg would surely be worse if they were). The fronts co-incidentally stopped getting hot and smelly when the rear brakes and compensator were done last week.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 24th Jan 2012 at 16:58
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #102
Drove 1000 miles in the last week - and the car has been fantastic. Only one small thing which happens very occasionally I need to sort, discussed here

During the trip the car reached a bit of a milestone:

...and...

The latest tank of fuel was 32.28mpg at mostly motorway speeds - both tanks measured so far using 99 octane.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 29th Jan 2012 at 17:20
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #103
Picked up an undertray of ebay this week - perfect condition all mounting points intact and includes fixings and side pieces. It is the first part of my aero package, which will also include making those "fence" things ahead of the front wheels that are almost universal on recent cars (will base them on the ones on my wife's Ford Focus) and perhaps a rear undertray fixed to the spare wheel bracket.

Even though it will not make a massive difference at legal road speeds, it is a cheap project which will keep me amused. Someone on here posted a link to a write-up by an Aussie who made some basic aero enhancements to a Toyota Prius and achieved a 10% improvement in fuel economy. 10% sounds a lot but it will be interesting to give it a go.

Next step is to install a hybrid motor...naaa just kidding.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 10th Feb 2012 at 11:18
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #104
my 405 has an undertray under the spare wheel carrier.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th Feb 2012 at 11:36
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #105
309's had a spoiler thing just in front of the spare wheel,apprently to do with wind dragWink

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 10th Feb 2012 at 16:42
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #106
Will look into those ideas. The front fences will be pretty easy - will attach using the 2 bolts that hold the bottom of the wheel-arch liner.

Today I thought I'd crack on with 2 jobs, installation of a factory airbox as the K&N installed by a PO causes a massive rise in the premium -I can't work out insurance companies as I told them about it last year and it didn't seem to be a drama. Am stripping the grease, paint and rust off it, metal bits will be zinc primered and satin black painted before installation.

I also thought I'd paint the rusty rear carriers silver to match the nice new calipers, discs and disc shields. I haven't had the wheels off since the MoT in Jan, where the garage replaced discs, pads and calipers, did wheel balance etc.

I couldn't even get the wheels off. I am 6'4" and almost 17 stone, and standing on the wheel brace as a last resort only bent it, but didn't even move the bolt. The other rear wheel was the same. Rather than ruin my other wheel brace as well I will take it back to the garage for them to sort. It is not corrosion seizing - the car is not taken out when salt is spread and it lives in a nice dry garage, and it is less than 2 months ago that the garage had them off the car, and the PO copperslipped the bolts to death. Clearly some monkey has done the bolts up with a rattle gun set to 300+ ft lb instead of the specified 90 ft lb 63 ft lb/80Nm. So I'll have to buy another 306 wheel brace now as the bent one may not do its job when required. At least I found out on a sunny Sat afternoon, not on a dark rainy night on the motorway after a puncture.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 14th Sep 2016 at 11:54
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #107
Got back under the car after a few months break this week.

Current objective is to de-rust front behind wheel arches and the chassis rails either side of exhaust.

After 48hrs of Bilt Hamber De-ox Gel, mostly clean metal and in good condition. Although the small patches of scale are labour-intensive to remove. Tonight put another application of De-ox Gel on, will clean off tomorrow and paint with Bilt Hamber Electrox.

Then the other side to sort, and then can move onto the front, including engine bay.

Have also ordered front sub frame mounts and bolts, radiator fixings, etc from Pug.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 12th Apr 2012 at 23:36
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #108
I finally managed to get the first coat of Electrox on just before. Just as I finished I decided to pull out the grommet and there is orange stuff in there (you can just see it in the pics). Looks like I'll need to give that a good clean out, and get something in there to stop any further rust. Anyone else found this?

I'll also get some grommets and put them on all the holes in the rails after I've cleaned them out and pumped them full of wax.

I know Electrox isn't very impact resistant, but the surface has a good key (rust pits or sanded), and it will be covered with some enamel, then some stone chip and then another coat of paint so it will look much the same as it would have originally.

EDIT: The box section on this side has been previously repaired to an average standard probably due to rust caused by jacking damage. This was later cut out and replaced with a new fabricated box section that looked much more original than this one, with correct drain holes in it and with cavity wax blown in for rust protection.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 14th Sep 2016 at 11:58
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #109
Got a service book holder from Thugpuggin yesterday, so now there is actually somewhere to put the handbook etc actually in the car - where it might be more useful than sitting in the bookshelf at home as it didn't fit very well in the glovebox, if there was anything else in there.

It will also be good for road trips to the continent; various countries have rules about carrying registration docs, insurance certificates in the vehicle, so these can be stashed away here as well. Especially in France near Calais, les Police lie in wait for cars with British number plates ("les rosbifs" ) to pull them to check for carriage of reflective jackets, insurance docs etc.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 15th Apr 2012 at 13:21
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #110
Picked up a Nissens rad and hose from CG Cars on Fri on the way back from Lincolnshire.

Will install as part of the front end strip-down and de-rust over the next few weeks.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 22nd Apr 2012 at 00:07
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #111
Got some goodies from Pug today, including front subframe mounting stuff and rad mounting stuff.

Took a break from the underbody rust scraping and fixed 3 minor things that have not worked properly since I got the car - replaced incomplete passenger side seat tilt lever, and the 2 switches in the A-pillars that activate the interior light.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 30th Apr 2012 at 18:59
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #112
Back under the car today and redoing the underside.

Interesting to note the state of the POR-15 I put on a year ago. I followed the instructions on the tin, but I note the tin has changed, and the instructions on the net now emphasise the use of "Prep 'n' Ready" (formerly known as "Metal Ready" ), where previously it was supposedly only necessary for smooth metal.

Exhibit A - note the statements "no need to remove rust before applying!" and "paint directly over rust" :

...and compare this to the results obtained at...

Exhibit B: (I rotary wire brushed the metal down to substantially clean metal before application of POR-15, but with minimal rust still present)

and Exhibit C (you can see me painting this area last year earlier in this thread):

The car spends 95% of its time in a garage, and I did not drive it throughout the winter, although I did take it out once or twice.

To me the use of POR-15 straight onto rust seems to have a similar effect to what I imagine would occur if ordinary enamel paint was used directly on rust. I bet the new tin no longer has the same instructions on it.

Just my personal experience, I'm sure other people are more than happy with it.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 6th May 2012 at 21:19
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #113
I picked up some new OE front shocks, top mount kits and springs today, as well as wishbones and Partner P-bushes.

Need to get cracking getting all this stuff fitted so I can use the car over summer (if we have a summer).

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 22nd Jun 2012 at 18:57
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #114
Been doing a bit of work cleaning up the engine bay and not nearly finished yet. Also got all new mounts...

Mmmmm lightweight goodness - these should have been on the car from the factory (thanks coskev)...

Got new OE wishbones, springs and front struts. Even though the wishbones are zinc dipped from the factory am painting them black - here they are in Bilt Hamber etch primer. Got Partner bushes for them too...

And got the factory Phase 3 stereo surround for the factory fitted single CD player - it does not fit aftermarket head units, but it does with a little trimming; see here a before and after shot. Note I have to do it again as I cut too much off, but the theory is the same; trim the top and bottom back until it fits over the head unit and leave the sides (which will hold it in). I will cut only to the moulding line having now measured it for my particular head unit. The shapes of the surround and the odd shape of my head unit made it difficult to estimate the first time, and I thought it would be put on first under the bezel around the head unit, but it doesn't: it fits over it. Hence having to do it again:

And here installed in the car (you can just see the excess gap at the bottom), just a bit nicer-looking and better-fitting than the Autoleads one:

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 18th Jul 2012 at 21:15
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #115
Hi mik
stereo facia does look goodThumbs up
will put it on the list of things to do I thinkYes

Posted 19th Jul 2012 at 17:58
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #116
This weekend I've done some work on the underside, and in between de-rusting and painting bits.

Subframe work in progress:

Subframe new attachment bits (They were plated from new but zinc primed and painted for extra durability):

Airbox:

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 22nd Jul 2012 at 17:47
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #117
Looking good those partsThumbs up

What have you had done to the airbox?Smile

Posted 22nd Jul 2012 at 22:11
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #118
Just stripped, de-rusted, cleaned, primed and painted.

I managed to break one of the tabs off the resonator when I removed it though. Don't know my own strength sometimes.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 22nd Jul 2012 at 23:05
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #119
Got a second set of Alpine SXE1725S speakers from notoriouslor on here - arrived very promptly thank you very much. They arrived in the post today and they were in the car within an hour. Only change was that I needed slightly longer screws to secure them to the housing than the factory speakers, but I had some already and it was an easy fix.

So I've now got these Alpines front and back, perfect for what I want: an upgrade over OE but no cutting or adaptation needed, and for a reasonable price. Earlier on this thread when I put the first set in there is a link to a handy review of these speakers.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 11th Aug 2012 at 20:00
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #120
Got front wheel arch liners off and hosed out a lot of mud from front arches. Despite this apart from plenty of surface rust it looks as if it will all be OK after plenty of wire brushing and dremmelling, rust removal gel, Bilt Hamber Electrox and top coat. I've seen better, but I've also seen a lot worse. At least the chassis legs are straight with no holes.

Just now rain stopped play, and now not long after I'm inside after hastily putting power tools etc under cover the sun is now out!

Ah well, time for a break anyway.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 12th Aug 2012 at 15:10
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #121
One spot thats prone for hiding scabs is the drivers inner wing, where the bottom hose from the rad runs to the rear of the block, its held in with 2 large plastic clips, a few ive seen are dead scabby under there. Cant see it as a rule as the arch liner hides it away nicely.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 12th Aug 2012 at 19:04
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #122
bloody nightmare when some git in garage over tightens them eh!!

nice work, dreading looking under mind at sills and stuff, think mines are same

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 13th Aug 2012 at 10:15
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #123
matt evans wrote:
One spot thats prone for hiding scabs is the drivers inner wing, where the bottom hose from the rad runs to the rear of the block, its held in with 2 large plastic clips, a few ive seen are dead scabby under there. Cant see it as a rule as the arch liner hides it away nicely.

Yes, mine is no exception...

Here is the same area after an exploratory wire-brushing (now with Deox gel under cling film for a couple of days) I'll get the underneath bit when I change the rad and bottom hose,

Here is the view from the front. The power steering cooling pipe is very rusty and bent out of shape, so I'm going the need another one of those too,

Not too bad here, have now washed it all to get that pesky white salt out of there, and will need treating and waxing,

the aforementioned mud trapped behind the arch liner,

...and the FUBARed rad (very rusty at the bottom and if you look closely at the rather small pic you can see a lot of the fins have fallen out), I've already got a Nissens one to go in.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 13th Aug 2012 at 16:41
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #124
Good work and pics MikThumbs up

Scary how much surface rust hides under the crap Pug undersealThumbs down

Just shows what people hide when they slap on a coat of underseal without stripping de-rusting firstRoll eyes

Posted 13th Aug 2012 at 22:17
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #125
been looking at my front lower chassis legs
think mine are same as yours

i want to put engine back in though Sad
want rallye on the road this year even if its just for a few months LOL

be sure to get a few pictures of subframe off, want to see how bad mine will be

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread