displaying posts 76 to 100 of 172

Pages (7): first .. 3 [4] 5 .. last

Author Subject: Rallye stage rally car.
devere

Senior User

Post #76
Last time I was out at woodbridge it just munched through tyres. Basically why I cant justify doing it.

Cant you persuade Garry to get a bigger car to fit you in then?!
Posted 23rd May 2013 at 22:42
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #77
I always thought you had to keep the handbrake cable+cable calipers to pass the mot? Does you're car not need an mot or have found a way round that issue?!

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 24th May 2013 at 00:00
devere

Senior User

Post #78
pete_rallye wrote:
I always thought you had to keep the handbrake cable+cable calipers to pass the mot? Does you're car not need an mot or have found a way round that issue?!

Yeh you do need a mechanically operated handbrake for the mot. Hopefully standard fiscal and pads have enough bite in them on Tuesday. Then on Wednesday I'm having a busy night fitting my new brakes..... Wink
Posted 24th May 2013 at 06:48
devere

Senior User

Post #79
Well this is kind of a celebratory post..

I actually got everything bolted together. And had it in its final running spec.

The new discs have probably made a difference. But i think the biggest difference brakes wise is the bigger master cylinder. The brakes now work how I originally hoped they would.

The suspension seems great! Feels very planted and not at all twitcy. just all round spot on. And I think the huge amount of extra caster has really improved the grip no end. But has made the steering heavier! Haha.

All in all, I'm edging towards my happy place! Just not sure Il get a huge amount more shakedown time before next weekend.
Posted 26th May 2013 at 17:40
devere

Senior User

Post #80
And here she is with the MOT wheels and rubber on. My weekends car work should now be finished..!

Posted 26th May 2013 at 21:17
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #81
Love it!

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 26th May 2013 at 21:21
devere

Senior User

Post #82
Well, its been a while since I really did anything constructive on this. I used the car once this year after a hell of a lot of work getting the suspension sorted, and various other bits.

My one attempt at using it carefully this year ended with a missed gear change, far too many revs, and the need for a few new valves.

So with that being back at the beginning of June, ive gone through a massive crisis of confidence, and been about 5 minutes away from breaking the car and moving on to other things.

Anyway, I gave myself a slap and decided to do things properly. I thought that if I want to get the car sorted I should start from scratch. So the head is pretty much done and the engine will be brought back to life by the end of next weekend. Once that is back and known to be running I shall be happy!

Next plan is to make 2 become 1...

I shall be rebuilding my car into this shell as soon as she has had a tidy up and a coat of paint. Its got a full custom cages cage, and is seam welded throughout. It has most things removed in terms of un needed parts, including only having a single skin exhaust tunnel.

So it will go from this...

To this...

There should be a considerable amount of changes made during the swap over to hopefully make it as good as I can get it. To make things easier I sourced another VTS phase 1 rack to refurbish off the car so it can go straight on.

And also a 106 electric pas pump that I shall be fitting with it.

As I shall finally get round to using my Satchell inlet manifold and trumpets, im going to ake sure I have the best air flow I can get to them. So with these guys....

I intend to run a shortened 205 alloy radiator and associated pipe work/expansion tank. And give myself plenty more room to play with at the front end.

You may have spotted the gear stick in the gold shell. I am also going to be changing from the satchshift in the current black car, and convert to a cable gear change setup. Theres a few reasons I want to do this, so hopefully its as straight forward as I have it planned to be!

Anyway, that's about where I am at now. So I intend to put together a tidy car that I can hopefully have a bit more luck and reliability with. Even thought the unreliability has mostly been down to my crap performances!
Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 22:03
jorg

Senior User

Post #83
Looking good Martin Thumbs up

306 2.1 S16 Tarmac Rally Car
Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=143956
Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 22:18
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #84
Nice work.
If you have a spare phase 1 vts steering rack that you'd like to sell, feel free to let me know and i'll buy it. Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 22:22
devere

Senior User

Post #85
Thought I'd post a bit of a late night update on this as I'm wide awake and no closer to falling asleep.

Been working on the car for a bit now. It's all black in the appropriate places. And the old car has been pulled apart fairly.

I had hoped to have the engine into the new she'll by now, but I've been a bit side tracked by sorting out my gear change. As anyone who read the above post knows I'm going from my satchshift setup to a cable setup. I was going to use the 206 gti 180 parts, but just as I thought I nearly had that sorted I went and grabbed the bits off an 806. As you can see, the plastic 206 setup doesn't seem as good as the metal 806 one!

These are my test pictures.

I had to move the counter weight round to clear the lift up reverse cable. I'm in 2 minds whether to keep it on or not. But il wait and see how the shifting feels with it on there first.

The only thing now though is im not 100 percent t sure on exhaust manifold clearance. I've had some very helpful measurements taken for me, and looked at lots of photos, but I'm not certain I can fit a 4-2-1 manifold past it. If it does clear, I fear the cables may then be too close. But I may end up repositioning the mounting points for the cables...

I now also have the fuel tank, rear axle and rear brakes lines all sorted. And the fuel pipes through the car are in the car at the moment. Il have some more exciting photos in the next day or so.
Posted 12th Jan 2014 at 23:52
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #86
What were your thoughts on the Satchshift system? Been tempted by it in the past as an extravagance and because it looks cool but not sure if it's worth it?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 13th Jan 2014 at 10:47
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #87
What are you doing with the satchshift? Been after one for ages but he doesn't look like he will be making any for a long time Sad
Posted 13th Jan 2014 at 12:10
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #88
I've already pmd him this morning about this Ollie! don't nick all my ideas Lol

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 13th Jan 2014 at 12:16
rhyds

Regular

Post #89
hi there

i also have a black 306 gti6 rally car

ive got a standard engine, quaife close ratio kit 5 speed, atb diff & 4:8, running blistein b6 on the rear & 2 1/4 coilovers on the front

what kind of mods you done to your engine apart from throttle bodies?

nice to see someone else rally a 306!!
Posted 13th Jan 2014 at 12:22
devere

Senior User

Post #90
I've got a high compression bottom end with forged rods and race bearings. Then head wise it's fully ported, with pyre cams, solid lifters, bigger valves. And the jenvey bodies. Hoping to make a 4-2-1 manifold fit too. .
Posted 13th Jan 2014 at 13:36
devere

Senior User

Post #91
demondriverdan wrote:
What were your thoughts on the Satchshift system? Been tempted by it in the past as an extravagance and because it looks cool but not sure if it's worth it?

Well it is a very good bit of kit. It's well made. It's quite a bit of effort to install it. It would be far easier with the whole dash out. It's one of those things that when fitting, you fit it where you can put it. There is no 100% set position. Although it's always going to be within a little bit.

It works very well, and makes for a real short shifting movements.

Only problem I think I had, was that my gearbox has short movements anyway. I think with that having reduced ravel, and the satchshift making it even shorter, it became just that bit too short for my setup.

With a normal type of box then it would undoubtedly be spot on.

I shall reply to PM later on. Thumbs up
Posted 13th Jan 2014 at 19:30
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #92
Doh, I did ask about the satchshift when he put it in the "what's it worth section" but never mind
Posted 14th Jan 2014 at 08:32
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #93
^^^ Me too, and I think I was first Wink

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 14th Jan 2014 at 13:35
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #94
Na you were second in line... I checked lol
Posted 14th Jan 2014 at 18:34
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #95
I'm happy to pay over the odds for the Satshift. really want one is there no chance a 205 one can be made to fit?

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 14th Jan 2014 at 18:53
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #96
Me too, iv never seen a complete kit but I would imagine it's possible!
No hard feelings no matter who gets it it's just one of those things I guess
Posted 14th Jan 2014 at 19:01
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #97
Was this satchshift made for the 306 or has it been modified to fit?

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 14th Jan 2014 at 19:28
devere

Senior User

Post #98
clen666 wrote:
Was this satchshift made for the 306 or has it been modified to fit?

Its not modified in any way. It is exactly as made, and fits the 306. The only thing is that it doesn't have a lift up reverse mechanism. Hence the agricultural lever attached to it to work the lift up reverse cable! Although that was only bolted on so is removed from the gear lever now.

I think I actually stole that off our garden rotavator!
Posted 14th Jan 2014 at 19:32
devere

Senior User

Post #99
Well, tomorrow should in theory be engine fitting day... Or at least hang it in the hole for the first time before finding something that needs doing, and taking it out again...

Anyway, here was how I just left it..

I managed to make up a new rear water pipe for the back of the block, and that will make a nice tidy job of my single outlet thermostat housing.
Posted 18th Jan 2014 at 18:21
devere

Senior User

Post #100
Well here was a final test fitting before I made a start on fitting the engine into the car...

And here I where I left things earlier for the day....

Not bad progress. Next up I just need to cut a hole out for the gear cables to go through the bulkhead, and then the exhaust manifold followed by the subframe can go on...
Posted 19th Jan 2014 at 22:06

Pages (7): first .. 3 [4] 5 .. last