displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: Rear dampers track set up
gti-dan

Regular

Post #1
If I fit a pair of 23.5mm tb's I think I might need to upgrade my rear dampers from Spax RSX. What would b the best choice? Is it possible to get KW v2's but just the rears? Can't find them anywhere?

Any others recommended? Don't want to spend much more than 300.

Would leave RSX coilovers on front but upgrade to 350lb springs.
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 18:19
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
avo adjustables are good stiff as fook when adjusted. personal id go for phils fox rear shoxs Whistle

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 18:35
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
keep the set as it is, no point improving rear damping if your going to keep front the same No

fit the TB's and front springs then play around with current available damping to see where your at. if its deffo not up to job ( i think it will be) then look at different kits.

but then if you buy different kit , you still need to have it valved for the spring rates you are gonna be using.

Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 19:04
gti-dan

Regular

Post #4
U think the Spax dampers will be ok?
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 20:48
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
kw's are Koni rears and koni inserts in the front, sothats one way of getting them separately.

Bilstein's 205 tarmac dampers I believe can be used and are more suited to the higher spring rates.

ask Miles about the bilstein choices.

if you can stretch a little further I'd get something like AST's, as they can be valved precisely to what you need, and don't cost much more than Bilstein 205 tarmac rears (off the motorsport catalogue not the performance one)

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 21:20
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
gti-dan wrote:
U think the Spax dampers will be ok?

Yes

i used to have spax on the nile there were lesser ones than the RSX kit you have , and i ran 325lb springs on them and the damping was absolubtly fine Yes
i run RSX coilies on the rallye now and will have no worries putting 350lb springs on them No
in fact il probably be doing it halfway through summer after i have a feel of the 220lb thats on them Yes
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 21:49
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
url[http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-205-Group-N-Challange-Bilstein-Rear-Dampers-/120657420405?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c17be2075=url] yours for 200 odd quid

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 21:57
gti-dan

Regular

Post #8
hmmm reading the information out there I hope 23.5mm torsion bars and 375lb front springs are not too hard for track and hillclimb work. I know more people go for much firmer set ups but all the information out there says oversteer is increased and less traction / more skitish on bumpy surfaces. I have definately found this in the past with some solid suspension on a kit car i had.

I need it stiffer tho as currently the rear trailing arms are hitting the bump stops and its crashing about on them. Does feel a touch soft. Hopefully 23.5mm and 375lb will be just right! Suppose i'll have to try it!
Posted 2nd Feb 2011 at 00:26
pinkfloyd

Senior User

Post #9
I run 450lb front springs on my sprint car and it works well, Std rear tb's with hybrid arb.

Liverpool Motor Club Sprint champion 2017
Longton & District Motor Club Sprint champion 2017
Liverpool Motor Club Sprint champion 2016
Liverpool Motor Club Sprint champion 2015
Lancashire & Cheshire Speed Championship
Winner 2014
2nd 2013
Winner 2012
2nd 2011
Winner 2010
Winner 2009
Winner 2008
Winner 2007
2nd 2006.
Posted 2nd Feb 2011 at 03:04
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
I'd suggest it would work a world better with uprated torsion bars!! Thumbs up

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 2nd Feb 2011 at 03:09
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Thats one price hike, The RRP is the same as the std 205 Yellow rears.
But supply is the hard part as Bilstein don;t know when more will become available

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 2nd Feb 2011 at 03:12
gti-dan

Regular

Post #12
I've got one of those key fob cameras and the quality is pretty good. I'm going to try fix it under the car so I can see if the trailing arms are hitting the bump stops. Will be interesting to see all the roll and the suspension loading up.
Posted 14th Apr 2011 at 02:53
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
gti-dan wrote:
I've got one of those key fob cameras and the quality is pretty good. I'm going to try fix it under the car so I can see if the trailing arms are hitting the bump stops. Will be interesting to see all the roll and the suspension loading up.

Beat you to it

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 14th Apr 2011 at 03:10
gti-dan

Regular

Post #14
I Defo need some bigger tb's. I put my dampers on their lowest setting (thought they were only supposed to be 28 clicks, I stopped turning at 32!) anyway it was that soft it felt standard. When they were turned right up the car was really crashy at the rear end so the dampers must've just been killing the spring effect of tb's. Not sure if my theory is correct but basically I recon I need to have the dampers not so harsh with these tb's and then get some 23.5 mm ones which I reckon should b fine with these dampers. I tried to get hold of "Anthony" on here the other week but have had no joy. Anyone have any contacts for him? Cheers
Posted 16th Apr 2011 at 01:55