displaying posts 1 to 25 of 46

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Help! Engine revving it's b@!!@cks off!
gti-dan

Regular

Post #1
Right I've just fitted a Ptfe inlet manifold gasket. Followed the FAQ on here, had a fair few problems but got there in the end. As well as disconnecting the plug on top of the throttle body as described in the FAQ I also disconnected the purple one underneath. Anyway put it all back together and fired it up and it started revving up the the red line. I turned it off and then put ignition on, engine warning light and stop came on.

I've heard this can happen when fitting new tps etc so disconnected battery for 10 and tried again.

This time it spluttered for a bit and then revved right up. Turned it off and it did same again! What is going on???

Could it be that the new manifold is not making a good seal and letting air in?
Posted 9th Jan 2011 at 22:21
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
Yeah, air leak somewhere.

Rich
Posted 9th Jan 2011 at 22:26
gti-dan

Regular

Post #3
Right, probably did rush it a bit at the end trying to get the job finished as it had taken hours and getting dark, no probes getting the manifold off but the old gasket was welded to the head! Spent ages trying to scrape it off, will have to just do it again next weekend. Does anyone know a good way off helping remove it? Also would it be worth putting a OE gasket either side as the Ptfe is so un pliable that the slightest undulations will let air in?

Posted 9th Jan 2011 at 22:40
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
the rallyes doing this but only reving to like 2k
im a little disheartened now, what could it be in my case?
Posted 9th Jan 2011 at 22:55
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #5
I have a standard gasket either side of my PTFE one, seems to work great. Smile

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 9th Jan 2011 at 23:17
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
If you didn't managed to get all the old gasket off that is probably what's causing it Yes

If it's a struggle to get the remains of the old gasket off completely without damaging the head, then you can do what Stan has done and use a standard gasket either side, which'll allow a bit more flex to take up the undulations.

If it's the first fitting the gasket has had, then sometimes overtorqueing the manifold bolts by a few lbft, then slackening and re-torquing them can help seat it against any scratches/debris.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 9th Jan 2011 at 23:45
gti-dan

Regular

Post #7
Pretty sure it's gonna be old gasket preventing a tight seal. Is it easy to get the Mani right off, following the FAQ only gets it a few inch off so it difficult to work on. Is there much else to remove?

Posted 10th Jan 2011 at 02:53
gti-dan

Regular

Post #8
Can't work on car till the weekend but going to get two paper gaskets foe either side of Ptfe one. I may have put the odd scratch on the mating face when scraping the gasket off, do u think I should lightly sand it? Or put a bit of liquid gasket on? Will they work ok here? The scratches are small but I'm paranoid about any air leaks now so want to be belt and braces
Posted 10th Jan 2011 at 23:14
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Don't use liquid gasket, it won't stick properly to the PTFE, and all it does is either make the gasket float about on it or gets squeezed out.
PTFE + 2 standard gaskets should seal even if there's some remains of the old gasket on there.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 10th Jan 2011 at 23:31
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #10
without sounding insulting, this happened to me when i forgot to plug back in the ICV

"We never have any near misses, we hit them every time!"

clicky code for my benefit

[ url= http://www.website.com]My link[/url ]
Posted 10th Jan 2011 at 23:41
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #11
gti-dan wrote:
Can't work on car till the weekend but going to get two paper gaskets foe either side of Ptfe one. I may have put the odd scratch on the mating face when scraping the gasket off, do u think I should lightly sand it? Or put a bit of liquid gasket on? Will they work ok here? The scratches are small but I'm paranoid about any air leaks now so want to be belt and braces

Don't fit non setting gasket compound! I did and the mating surfaces of the head and the mani no longer grip the PTFE gasket, this allowed it to move deforming it badly in the process. Use a sharp chisel, scraper or razor blade to carefully remove all traces of the old gasket before you refit. Takes a while as its fiddlty rounr the manifold studs, but the surfaces must be completely clean and above all dry fit. (No instant gasket)

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 12th Jan 2011 at 00:20
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
lotek wrote:
the rallyes doing this but only reving to like 2k
im a little disheartened now, what could it be in my case?

you sure the ICV is plugged in? when i unplugged mine on the 106 it idled at 2K

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 12th Jan 2011 at 00:28
gti-dan

Regular

Post #13
Getting pi$$ed off now! Spent another 3 hours in the rain hunched over the engine, cleaned all the old gasket off and fitted an OE gasket either side of the Ptfe. Fixed it in position and fired it up - exactly the same problem!!!!

I really don't think it's a cracked resonator, manifold was only pulled out a few inches and not knocked about. Can the resonator disconnect from the inlet or is it securely fixed?

Could I have connected a plug the wrong way round?!?!

I have not put the bolt holding the dipstick back in, the bolt just near there on top of the plenum, the bolt infront of the rad or the bolt which u need to get to from underneath - could any of these affect it?
Posted 16th Jan 2011 at 00:07
gti-dan

Regular

Post #14
Any suggestions? I only have tomorrow to work on it, I am going to make sure that all pipes securely fixed and try torquing down a bit more, undoing and then re-torquing. Trouble is, surely these things would only allow a small amount of air to leak in. The effect I'm getting is like I'm starting the car with wide open throttle and leaving it there!!!!
Posted 16th Jan 2011 at 02:03
ravemercer

Regular

Post #15
I had this on a 1.6 xu engine was stuck at 3000rpm with no brake pressure for some reason was a vacuum leak forgot to plug a pipe into back of inlet mani plugged it back in sorted. double triple check all pipes. Could be something simple hopefully.
Posted 16th Jan 2011 at 02:23
gti-dan

Regular

Post #16
Sound, yeah I'll double check everything. Can anyone tell me how to prime the icv - I've read a few methods. So far I have just been disconnecting the battery for 10 mins
Posted 16th Jan 2011 at 02:43
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
switch ignition on and let prime then turn off. repeat 4 or 5 times.

it will be the manifold leaking air though. what did you use to tighten it?
and was it a second hand gasket?
Posted 16th Jan 2011 at 02:56
gti-dan

Regular

Post #18
Used a torque wrench, brand new Ptfe and 2x OE fanimold gaskets
Posted 16th Jan 2011 at 03:04
gti-dan

Regular

Post #19
Right, cleaned all connections out today - still doing it. Plugged icv to see if it was that - no change. Torqued it down, loosened a re torqued up to 8nm - no change!!!

Next weekend I'm goin to try a new OE gasket by itself. It that doesn't work I'll take the lot off to check if resonator is cracked.

When fully removing is it best to disconnect the fuel lines from the rail and unplug injectors, or unbolt the rail, unplug injectors and leave it connected to the fuel lines?

Lastly my icv feels like it is hard wired rather than a plug, so do I need to remove the icv?

So frustrating. It must be letting in a lot if air it is shooting straight up to past 6k. Checked all breather hoses, vacuum hoses, throttle body etc!

I'm also wondering if something underneath is stopping the manifold fully sitting in position, but it does feel like it sitting flush with the head.
Posted 16th Jan 2011 at 17:06
gti-dan

Regular

Post #20
Gonna get a few hours on the car this weekend, currently riding the usual wave of optimism and enthusiasm followed by the oh so predictable crashing depression which follows another unsuccessful attempt to fix it! Got a right Heath Robinson idea up my sleeve though, to help locate the air leak I've got some smoke bombs. Gonna let one off in a something like a biscuit tin to build up a load of thick smoke. Get 'our lass' to fire the car up just as I release an almighty smoke cloud under the bonnet. Its sucking that much air I reckon it'll do a good job of showing exactly where the leak is. Only bad thing is the neighbours will probably think I've finally blown it up!

I'm thinking now either the bottom / underside of the manifold is not mating properly I.e it's catching on something or it's a cracked resonator. But I'd prefer to check first.

I had hoped it could be MAP or sensor related but I don't think they could make it rev this quickly, especially with throttle closed and icv feed plugged!

Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 01:33
cooper666

Senior User

Post #21
where are you based

clio r27
ps3 id:cooperkloe

Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 01:38
gti-dan

Regular

Post #22
Halifax
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 01:39
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Just spray a mist of water or some carb cleaner around the manifold area, if you have got a leak you should find it straight away as the revs will change when it sucks it in.

Ryan
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 01:40
gti-dan

Regular

Post #24
I read that About carb cleaner etc trouble us I only have a second or 2 to do it as I'm worried I'm gonna f**k the engine red lining it from cold
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 01:42
cooper666

Senior User

Post #25
when are you planning on looking at it on weekend

clio r27
ps3 id:cooperkloe

Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 01:43

Pages (2): [1] 2