displaying posts 26 to 46 of 46

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Help! Engine revving it's b@!!@cks off!
gti-dan

Regular

Post #26
Unfortunately I'm only gonna be able to squeeze the odd hour in this weekend and I work away all week. If u could give me a hand or some advise though sometime soon tho that would be brilliant or if u know anyone local - if that's what you're getting at.

Hopefully I'll suss it soon though!
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 01:49
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
gti-dan wrote:
I read that About carb cleaner etc trouble us I only have a second or 2 to do it as I'm worried I'm gonna f**k the engine red lining it from cold

It's not ideal, you'll just have to be quick.

Does it literally just head for the limiter as it fires up? Also does you giving it a bit of throttle help at all?

Ryan
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 01:53
gti-dan

Regular

Post #28
Certainly heads that way pretty damn quick! Normally knock it off around 6.5k

Havent really tried blipping the throttle.
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 01:56
cooper666

Senior User

Post #29
i would have come to help but its a 95 mile round trip.i think you need to remove the whole manifold from the car and inspect it make sure you have got all the old gaskit off. i found with mine when refitting the manifold got caught on the metal bracket under the manifold at the front and put excess presure on the manifold causing it not seat corectly but i caught it before i went any further.

clio r27
ps3 id:cooperkloe

Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 02:01
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
Gave the PTFE gasket a good check to make sure there's no imprints from the old bits of gasket in it before you refitted it with the OE ones either side?

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 02:05
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
Give it a try holding the throttle open a bit and see if it makes any difference.

If it's a leak it must be quite a big one for it to be that bad so it should be obvious if you spray around the mani, I've had little leaks on cars in the past but nothing that will send a car up over 4-5K.

Ryan
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 02:05
gti-dan

Regular

Post #32
phillipm wrote:
Gave the PTFE gasket a good check to make sure there's no imprints from the old bits of gasket in it before you refitted it with the OE ones either side?

There were slight imprints. I'll do all the checks and if it still does it I'll try a new OE gasket and take it from there.

Thanks for the offer of help and all the advice! I get the feeling I'm nearly there with it, just trial and error now
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 02:11
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
If they're only slight it shouldn't matter, anything deep then sand out with some 400 grit on a flat surface plate.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 02:25
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Can't see it being the gasket/s,unless you have got a wire or something trapped between manifold and head?Whistle

Its a big air leak to rev up that high and quick.

Have you checked the throttle is closing fully?Wink

You haven't dislocated the cable causing the throttle to be held open?Big grin

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 02:26
gti-dan

Regular

Post #35
No checked tb butterfly is closing and cable is fine
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 02:45
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
OkSmile

My moneys on the resonator thenWink

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 03:27
gti-dan

Regular

Post #37
Just got manifold off. Resonator looks ok. Looking at the gaskets it has (hopefully) confirmed what I have suspected (amongst a hundred other things) that something is preventing the manifold mating with the head along the bottom edge. The manifolds 2x OE and 1x Ptfe are all imprinted and squashed along the top and like new along the bottom. I will post some pics. 2 questions tho:

1.When people have had cracked resonators was it obvious to see? Could u see it with it still attached to the mani?
2. What is the small hose that connects into the side of the tb under the breather hose?

Gasket between mani and Ptfe:

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 23:09
gti-dan

Regular

Post #38
Gasket between head and Ptfe:

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 23:10
cooper666

Senior User

Post #39
is it getting caught on the metal braket at the front of the manifold the one near the throttle body on the underside of the manifold.

clio r27

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 23:13
gti-dan

Regular

Post #40
Could well be. Did check a bit 2nd time, there actually 2 bits that it bolts to in that area. Might have been the other one. Think I'll put it Bk to standard now, just want it running again!
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 23:32
cooper666

Senior User

Post #41
it caught on mine because the ptfe gaskit is 5mm not ½mm so a slight bend on the bracket and it will be fine

clio r27

Posted 29th Jan 2011 at 00:37
eugmul

Regular

Post #42
The symptons that you are describing sound very similar to mine when I cracked the resonator.
At first it wasnt obvious but when I looked closely there was a dirty great crack across the front and when it was taken off it was cracked the whole way round.
Hope you get it sorted soon though, so frustrating.
Posted 2nd Feb 2011 at 04:49
gti-dan

Regular

Post #43
Fixed it! Had the mani right off, really cleaned both faces. However it wasnt until I put it back on that it all became obvious what had been happening. There are 2 metal brackets underneath which the plenum sits behind, u have to push it behind them otherwise it will just sit on top.

I decided to refit without the Ptfe. If u fit a Ptfe I would imagine u'd need to bend these brackets out a bit.

Fired it up and its running fine now. All this trouble and not even fitted the Ptfe! Haha not bothered just glad it's fixed.

Even when I had got it sitting behind the bracket it still a while tilting it back and forth a bit to get it all sitting flush with the head!!!
Posted 5th Feb 2011 at 23:15
cooper666

Senior User

Post #44
Thumbs up glad you sorted it.

clio r27

Posted 5th Feb 2011 at 23:20
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
Im guessing mine will be a similar issue but just not the manifold. Glad you got it sorted Smile

Just Drive It
Posted 7th Feb 2011 at 21:33
gti-dan

Regular

Post #46
Cheers for the comments and the help everyone. If you need any advice on it - i'm probably not the man to ask! Haha - spent so long on it though Im pretty sure i know that area of the engine inside out now so will always try to help out!
Posted 7th Feb 2011 at 22:31

Pages (2): 1 [2]