displaying posts 1 to 25 of 31

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: PTFE Inlet Gaskets - Opinions?
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hey all,

Have done a search and basically know what these claim to do in terms of benefit to the engine.

But didnt find much in the way of actual opinions from people who have fitted them over the standard equivalent.

SO, calling anyone who has one fitted - did you notice any difference? I imagine it would be almost unnoticeable? Worth the buy?

Thanks

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 29th Dec 2010 at 05:56
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #2
The inlet manifold will be noticablely cooler after a hard drive....Yes

Stan.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 29th Dec 2010 at 12:44
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
They are meant to stop or at least minimise heat soak from the engine to inlet manifold. The heat soak occurs if you are sat in traffic or just generally sat there with the engine running or even once your engine is turnt off as the engine starts to lose heat.

The only thing I have noticed is that when the inlet manifold is warm due to the engine soak it makes acceleration slightly sluggish due to the air passing through the manifold being at a warm to hot temperature.

However once you have driven 5 minutes down the road the heat off the manifold drops to outside air temp obviously due to air passing through it and around it.

Probably not worth it mate but try it for yourself. Let it heat soak and feel how warm it gets then go for a drive and check it and it will be cold Smile

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 29th Dec 2010 at 12:47
:: blade ::

Senior User

Post #4
Fitted mine a few weeks ago, felt slightly better accelleration responce, and the inlet was noticably cooler after a hard drive Smile

Black Ph1 XSi-6
161.8BHP (Getting Better!!!!)
Posted 29th Dec 2010 at 14:34
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Just thinking i might be getting one of those nice shiney powder coated inlet manifolds bolted on and so i guess it would make sense to fit one of these gaskets at the same time!

Mulling it over! Thumbs up

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 29th Dec 2010 at 15:04
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I thought they were also supposed to slightly help combustion in the cylinders too as the fuel squirts atomise slightly more due to being spaced further away from the cylinder?

Plus if you take the inlet manifold off, they are re-usable unlike normal gaskets.

Never really noticed much difference with mine tbh, but as I say above, it has been re-used several times now and still seals fine. Dunno how much a std gasket is (probably pence) but atleast its saved me having to nip out to get one.

Long live the Sigma 6 Big grin
Team Phase 1 supercharged

XBL ID: farmer uk1
Posted 29th Dec 2010 at 15:04
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
wouldnt say mine felt any faster,but throttle response was much crisper when the engine got hot, especially after sitting in traffic.

They're only 20-odd quid, just do it and stop being a girl LOL

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 29th Dec 2010 at 17:15
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #8
Yes, you should get better combustion with the injectors a further 5mm back from their original starting position....

I run one with a standard gasket either side for even better sealing, seems to be fine. Thumbs up

Stan.

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 30th Dec 2010 at 12:34
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #9
once mine comes back from the machine shop i will be fitting one on the coupe

had one on the s16 and in conjuction with the other parts i fitted at the same time there was a noticable increase
Posted 30th Dec 2010 at 18:58
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #10
where can i get one of these?

stevenage black gti 6, 198bhp
Posted 31st Mar 2013 at 19:22
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #11
Have to search for a second hand one
Don't think phil makes them any more

Was a user a whine back on the 406couoe forum that had some made
Posted 31st Mar 2013 at 19:36
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Yes, you should get better combustion with the injectors a further 5mm back from their original starting position....

I run one with a standard gasket either side for even better sealing, seems to be fine. Thumbs up

Stan.

Same here, hoping its life will last longer doing it this way too, plus makes inlet go a bit further away too.

Well worth it for what they cost and fit while you have inlet off too.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 31st Mar 2013 at 20:22
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #13
just a waste of money adding two paper gaskets

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 31st Mar 2013 at 21:58
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Stops you marking the PTFE one if you want to sell it on later.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 31st Mar 2013 at 22:04
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
stan_306gti6 wrote:

Stan.

Not sure that's right, else Pug would have put them there and benefited from the advertising of increased MPG figures you'd get from the better combustion. Broadly speaking having the injector further away from the combustion chamber gives the fuel more time to separate or "drop out" of the air flow and also more surface area to "cling" to on the inlet port.

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 1st Apr 2013 at 02:20
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Well maybe their knowledge didnt stretch that far, as we all know many owners have improved their cars from factory so.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 1st Apr 2013 at 03:26
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
It did. Definitely, I promise. The things an owner might do to a car in the aftermarket to "improve" the car are not necessarily in line with what the manufacturer aimed to achieve with the car as a mass-produced machine. Most owners buying a family hot-hatch new from the dealers in the 90s won't have wanted 18" wheels, stiffer & lower suspension, badgeless grills and a supercharged 400bhp engine, so Peugeot didn't build them one.

When it comes to fuel economy though, everyone wants to spend less on fuel. Perhaps it was not quite such a major issue in the 90s as it is now, but emissions and fuel consumption were definitely a high priority for manufacturers, and if they could have improved the burn efficiency (and thus fuel efficiency and/or performance) from doing something as simple as positioning the injectors 5mm further away from the valve, you can be damm sure they would have done!

By mass-produced standards the RFS engine is relatively bespoke in that it was primarily only fitted to 2 cars and it has a number of components (like the inlet manifold, which is relevant to my point) that aren't fitted to other engines in the same family, so the design work carried out on them is likely to have been a little more focussed and details like these will have been considered.

Not that I'm saying moving the injectors away 5mm by fitting a PTFE gasket is going to ruin the performance of your engine, of course. Given the angle at which teh injectors are seated, the difference in performance will likely be negligible, but the cooler air temps from not having a hot inlet manifold certainly will make a difference.

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 1st Apr 2013 at 03:57
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Thats not really what i meant, i meant things like really good tyres, better engine mounts to a point it does not make the comfort any less through vibration etc but means less engine movement. Bigger wheels are not an improvement, they are a hindrance to these cars.

I suppose they could have made the inlet plate thicker so injectors were further away, the thing is just because they are pro's at making cars does not automatically mean they know or had the thought of doing that at the time. Technology is and will aways change and improve, back when these cars were made this may not have been thought of.

With injectors further away from the ignition point, the spray at the end of the jet will be more vaporised and not so much of the stream of fuel if you see what i mean, so more bang ?

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Posted 1st Apr 2013 at 06:57
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
beez_neez_gt wrote:
Thats not really what i meant, i meant things like really good tyres, better engine mounts to a point it does not make the comfort any less through vibration etc but means less engine movement. Bigger wheels are not an improvement, they are a hindrance to these cars.

I suppose they could have made the inlet plate thicker so injectors were further away, the thing is just because they are pro's at making cars does not automatically mean they know or had the thought of doing that at the time. Technology is and will aways change and improve, back when these cars were made this may not have been thought of.

With injectors further away from the ignition point, the spray at the end of the jet will be more vaporised and not so much of the stream of fuel if you see what i mean, so more bang ?

I'm with the knobby student. Peugeot WILL have thought about it. Ever since injection came onto the scene, people have been researching the optimal injector angle and distance from valve/port. I might be going out on a limb here, but I bet they spent that little extra time working this out.

Unless, of course, they just guessed with everything

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 1st Apr 2013 at 09:39
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #20
Interesting discussion, and I'm not sure where the correct stand point lies.

In my particular case, there is so much fuel being sprayed once the engine is using higher revs that I doubt the 5mm makes much of a difference. However, on a standard engine I'm not so sure. I know when I was running a standard engine it seemed to run slightly better in this configuration, and that was just on normal driving without getting stuck in traffic thus not taking advantage of the lack of 'heatsoak'.

I personally think it makes a difference, but whether or not it works with the scientists is another matter. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 1st Apr 2013 at 10:17
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
I won't dispute the pro's and con's, but I do however think that Peugeot would have explored this option.

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 1st Apr 2013 at 10:40
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Injectors are usually close to the valve head to optimise the bottom end and especially emmisions, generally you want them further away as the airspeed /rpms climb, hence twin injector sets and the like.
It's a compromise, will 5mm make much difference? No, not a lot, but then again it's not the main part of the gaskets function, and it was never supposed to give you 20bhp Big grin

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 1st Apr 2013 at 11:17
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
I have one and gave it to carl to instal it with the sc conversion. How many other sc'd 6 owners have one on their car as i remember reading that the intake plenum would not fit well when used with a PTFE gasket.
I'll have to wait and see what Carl comes up with otherwise i'll have to sell it on here.
Posted 1st Apr 2013 at 13:43
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #24
Fits my inlet manifold fine Marco. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 1st Apr 2013 at 14:48
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
My mapper asked me to remove it before my engine was mapped as said wouldn't make s**t all difference and most likely cause downtime on the rollers due to air leaks so it went in the bin....

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 1st Apr 2013 at 16:50

Pages (2): [1] 2