displaying posts 901 to 925 of 1021

Pages (41): first .. 36 [37] 38 .. last

Author Subject: Harris' SC China Track Car attempt
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #901
Car seems pretty certain it doesnt want to do Rockingham, more issues with the car Angry

The knocking I have from my rear suspension cant be normal/ I have changed everything so surely cant be anything broken, maybe just something not tightened up correctly?

Will try and get it checked out tonight, but here is a video I attempted to take of it. Any ideas?

It also seems that my fans arent coming on, what temps should they come on? 90 and 105 isnt it? Neither seem to be coming on. While driving, water temp was sitting at 80 rather than just over 70 as it normally does. If you stop the car, temp soon rises to near 100. This is also affecting the running temps of my oil.

All of this was fine the last time car was used (good few weeks ago) so I guess I might have just knocked some of the fan wiring and upset it maybe?

Will try and get the issues checked out tonight, but Rockingham on thursday seems doubtful now Sad

While I was out, tried to get a couple of videos to see if the trusty iphone is good enough for video capture. Doesnt cope with the sound at high revs very well Laugh

Quiet road test

Idle test (love the air induction gulping down air)

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 25th Jun 2013 at 08:19
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #902
Harris, I had the heating problem with my 306, do you think it might be air in the system or have you bled that already I remember when I fitted my engine in fans were goin mad but temperature was over 90,
Posted 25th Jun 2013 at 09:05
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #903
Pug bazza wrote:
Harris, I had the heating problem with my 306, do you think it might be air in the system or have you bled that already I remember when I fitted my engine in fans were goin mad but temperature was over 90,

Havent tried bleeding it up or anything, but I am not sure it would be that. Car was fine a few weeks ago, and now its not. Nothing has been touched with the cooling system, but I have had to move some wires etc. So hoping for just a loose connection or bit of wiring for the fans.

Chris
Posted 25th Jun 2013 at 09:19
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #904
Had a quick check over a few things last night, but then didnt have time to go out and test, so more on that tonight.

Checked over the beam bolts I could get to and all tight. With the car jacked up on axle stands, moving, wiggling and shaking the rear beam, cant replicate any form of knock.

Put my track wheels on too so I could check out clearance etc. Might get the rear adjusted, maybe nudge it a bit higher, will see how I get on.

Front still needs to come down a bit, will have a look tonight if I can find my C spanners.

Also removed intercooler and pipework so I could trace the fan wiring. No visible breaks etc, might have to invest in (and learn how to use) a multimeter. Again, more on this later after I have checked it.

Might have to steal the idea that some SC lads do as well for track. No grille for better cooling.

Chris
Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 08:44
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #905
Is it the brown plug on the thermostat housing I can unplug to make the fans come on? As a test for power, wiring check etc?

If so, can you do this without the engine on? (with key turned all the way before firing)?

Chris
Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 09:03
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #906
To test fans short 2 of the pins on the blue plug!

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 09:47
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #907
atterz wrote:
To test fans short 2 of the pins on the blue plug!

Swear you could do it by unplugging one of them, if not, will try that.

Happy birthday James Cheers

Chris
Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 09:58
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #908
Each time I see a still image of your in car footage I initially think you are wearing a helmet on the road until I notice it's the suction mount!

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 10:09
    cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #909
    dangti6 wrote:
    Each time I see a still image of your in car footage I initially think you are wearing a helmet on the road until I notice it's the suction mount!

Laugh

I have used a helmet on the road before. Hero spec Superman

Chris
    Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 10:13
    eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #910
    It is the brow plug you pull out what should make your fans come in. Have you now wired up your A/C plug so when you press your A/C button your fans come on?

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url &amp; =
    Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 11:03
    cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #911
    eddy_gti6 wrote:
    It is the brow plug you pull out what should make your fans come in. Have you now wired up your A/C plug so when you press your A/C button your fans come on?

I didnt do any of the wiring for the new fans etc.

It would be bloody handy if I could do that, will check it out later.

I have a 30 minute track session at Rockingham tomorrow, if unplugging the brown sensor turns the fans on, and I cant get the fans working properly tonight, any issue with just unplugging the brown sensor for the track session to have the fans on constant? Prefer that than no fans Yes

Chris
    Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 11:07
    eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #912
    The car shouldnt be overheating while driving it to be honest. I ran my astor 6 at knockhill without any fans and it didnt see above 90oC and it was a hot day too

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url &amp; =
    Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 11:13
    cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #913
    eddy_gti6 wrote:
    The car shouldnt be overheating while driving it to be honest. I ran my astor 6 at knockhill without any fans and it didnt see above 90oC and it was a hot day too

Yeah when I keep the car moving the water temp is sat happily at 80 (with fans working sits at 70), but I was more concerned about oil temp. Still not got my oil cooler fitted Doh and fans not working seem to affect it. From my drive other night, was seeing nearly 120 on oil temp, which I have never seen on the road, only track.

Chris
    Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 11:19
    eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #914
    Have you still got your oil cooler connected up to the top rad pipe? The water should stop the oil getting that high or are you running a mocal oil cooler?

Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 12:23
    cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #915
    Not sure what you mean Chris, but at the minute it still runs a standard system. The mocal oil cooler is sat in my shed and not fitted.

Chris
    Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 12:33
    eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #916
    Standard way uses the water to cool the oil.

Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 12:37
    cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #917
    eddy_gti6 wrote:
    Standard way uses the water to cool the oil.

Yeah the heat exchanger?

Still has that then, but if the water is hot, will make the oil warmer? yes?

Chris
    Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 12:38
    eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #918
    Not if your water is only 80oC while driving your oil temp shouldnt be at 120!

Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 12:41
    cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #919
    eddy_gti6 wrote:
    Not if your water is only 80oC while driving your oil temp shouldnt be at 120!

Sorry, should of been clearer. Within that journey I had to stop a couple of times with traffic etc. When that happens the water temp will rise to over 100, and oil temp goes up with it. When you get the car moving again and free moving air is hitting the radiator, it drops down to 80 pretty easy, but the oil isnt as quick to drop in temp.

Chris
    Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 13:20
    cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #920
    Right so made it over to Rockingham yesterday for my test session. All went pretty well (considering the recent issues I have been having).

Unplugged the brown sensor to have the fans running constantly, but it was still rather warm and oil was getting proper hot by the end of it. Really need to get my cooler fitted.

I was generally taking it easy, just seeing how the car now felt etc, so no "lets see how quick I can get round here" more, "how does it react" etc. Seemed to handle and go pretty well. There was plenty of slow MX5's to get in my way and hold me up though Laugh

And at the end, I decided to have a cool down lap, then end the session as my oil temp had reached 140. I let an Audi RS4 past on the pit straight as was cooling the car down, then decided to chase it anyways Laugh

This resulted in the car having an issue (my own stupid fault really). Seemed to loose power, then sounded like it was misfiring etc. I know that my downpipe is s**t (still need to get the new one back!!) and think that has blown through the repair so that wont help things. But on track I was worried that the bottom end had let go, but now thinking it might be an overheated coilpack? Seen a few threads over last few weeks about people doing this.

Will get it checked out when I can, and fingers crossed its not anything serious, like bottom end. Thinking more along exhaust, as its definitely blowing a lot under the gearstick area. It also might be what is causing the knocking at the rear end (rather than a beam issue). It seems to be higher up I think, as I keep hearing the gear linkage knock against it.

Like I say, more on this when I get time to check it out, but overall car seems to be a hell of a lot better than before in terms of handling. Its nice to know what the car is doing, rather than randomly s**t yourself as the rear end does what it wants Laugh

Chris
    Posted 28th Jun 2013 at 11:42
    cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #921
    Pretty sure the issue I have with misfiring is a coilpack, maybe melted. I am going to raid some coilpacks tonight, and hopefully get this sorted out Smile

Oh and here is a short video of my rockingham test. Photobucket seems to of cut the end off, so doesnt include the bit where the car dies.

Note, this is only a test, I was being very conservative on the brakes and turn in.

Chris
    Posted 1st Jul 2013 at 11:27
    cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #922
    Had a bit of time over the weekend, so spent some of it on the car.

Think I have found the knocking from the rear, and changed the coolant fan sensor. Was unable to test if anything of these have made a difference though, as my housemate went out and his car was blocking mine in on the driveway.

So decided to freshen up the engine bay a bit by tidying up the slam panel. Again, Im not very good at this spray painting malarkey, but looks better than it did, and thats all I care about to be honest Laugh

Before:

Some shoddy masking and cleanup.prep

Done, that'll do.

..and back together

Chris
    Posted 8th Jul 2013 at 08:35
    spiky

Seasoned Pro

Post #923
    140 is not good at all, but then you need to ask how accurate that is Wink

if it really has gone to 140+ i would change the oil and filter,

also get a cooler, my oil is running around 105-110 VERY MAX on track

you have waaaaaaay to many different colours in that engine,

get them all black Smile

Do you need a 205 > 306 gti6 plug and go engine loom? PM ME

TORQUES for all your braided fuel line needs

MY YouTube Videos'

SUPERCHARGED 205 GTI6.... are you Fooking nuts!.... ummmm YIP Smile

268+BHP and 860kg = FUN
    Posted 8th Jul 2013 at 10:15
    atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #924
    If there is anything you need doing at pugfest let me know in advance and ill bring tools. We can do it on the hard standing saturday before i get w**kered!

owain wrote:
    A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
    Posted 8th Jul 2013 at 11:50
    cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #925
    atterz wrote:
    If there is anything you need doing at pugfest let me know in advance and ill bring tools. We can do it on the hard standing saturday before i get w**kered!

Yes mate Big grin

At this rate, will be lucky if the car makes it down there Laugh

Chris
    Posted 8th Jul 2013 at 11:52

Pages (41): first .. 36 [37] 38 .. last