Well I suppose I better update this.
Car went for the MOT at end of May, passed with flying colours. MOT tester laughed at the response to the advisory on worn front brake discs last year, by complimenting the Brembos. I had to go away with work a couple times in June so pretty much just brought it home from the MOT and parked it in the garage out the Mrs' way.
I make a conscious effort to get a couple jobs done on it, so took a couple days off work this week to crack on.
Yesterday was the job of the rear beam. 21mm VTS bars, solid rear mounts, hybrid ARB going on all at the same time. Ummed and ahhed about doing it in the garage but rolled it out to be on the safe side, only for it to spend the entire f*cking morning raining, stopping, raining, stopping, raining, stopping. Basically meaning the floor was wet enough to be soaked through by the time i'd finished.
I'd done a beam before on my P3 HDi with EBD, so a bit of faffing around with the load compensator later, and voila - dirty old beam:
Had a few issues with a brake line that didn't want to play ball, but generally wen ok. Pleased with the result, here's a before and after:
Seems awfully close to the tyre on the right but the beam's not for going any further to the left so may have to get the persuader on the arch if it decides to rub. That was Thursday's mission complete anyway, no thanks to the constant showers.
Today brought the job i'd been dreading for a long time. Heater matrix. I had been driving through the winter in the Rallye and was plagued by a misting windscreen and had a small amount of coolant going walkies when checking the levels. I figured that the HG going had probably killed it off, or so I thought.
So, since I have a roll cage I knew this was going to be a lady garden of a job. And I was right. Took a bit of faffing and fiddling getting the front half of the cage to come out, but eventually won the fight. Into the engine bay, spending ages undoing the wipers, motor, dash bolts etc and the most ridiculous heater matrix connection ever. Into the car, spend ages using the force to find all the sodding bolts in random locations before eventually winning the fight:
It was at this point, that my heart sank a little. I realised that the bodge artist who owned the car before me (whichever person it may be) had obviously done the matrix before, since there were no screws holding the matrix into the blower unit and the plastic end cap of the matrix was not there. Had no time to do anything about that really as can't have the car in pieces for days. Still, confirmed that it was the source of my coolant loss as evidenced by the damage and sminge-filled housing.
It had loads of bits of leaves and s**te in there which can only be from when the monglet who owned it before me threw away all the trim and ran just with the rain guard over the fan intake. The bit of a fin missing bit off the end was me being a bit heavy handed taking it out as I was thoroughly frustrated at that point. But then the fun began, trying to get the matrix pipes to go in. A simple feat of plugging two pipes into two pipes but noooooooooooooooo. on the 57th attempt I managed to get the matrix into the bulkhead connector and then same fun and games again with the heater matrix hose in the bay! Dunno why the rallye matrix faq said to remove it really as it achieved nothing but wasting time!! Brake light switch was muchos fun, til I stopped and realised I was being a tit and did it from the drivers door in about 5 seconds lol.
Car finally back in one piece prettymuch. What I lost because I had a cage I gained by not having a full interior. Need to take a pic of the larger white plug in the drivers footwell though as I thought I unplugged something and need some confirmation whether it's unused on a rallye since I have no plugs to go into it - everything seems to work though.
Only snag of the day seems to be that my heater cable only goes to about 80% hot now, as I noticed when running the car up to temp. IT'll go all the way but springs back so obviously has found some extra resistance. I'm shattered tbh and can't be arsed to fix it now. Neither was a particularly fun job but deffo wouldn't advise anyone doing a matrix without some help. took me about 6 hours including the cage, which I haven't yet put back in because I want to paint it. Would have been uber to have an extra pair of hands to speed things up/pass tools/attempt frustrating jobs differently etc.
I feel like a cross between a contortionist and a sado-masochist after today. Arms as red as buggery!
I'm Si btw
VW Golf GTD
LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper
- (The other half's wheels)