displaying posts 276 to 300 of 331

Pages (14): first .. 11 [12] 13 .. last

Author Subject: Bianca Ratlye
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #276
Great write up of the track day, I was at Bedford in October in mine, it was great fun, and like you troubled many much more powerful cars

Would be great to get on track at the same time should that opportunity arise - make sure you put it in the events section :-)

You car is just like mine bar about a year ahead of me, i lack the cage and diff and am pusing to get those in soon enough - keep sharing great reading Smile

Cheers Chris
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 13:09
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #277
Haha I have had it about 5 years, but spent 2 years before i even finished the charger conversion overseas in South Africa. I've STILL got a few bits in the garage to fit, including the decat, the top mounts from russian_guy's group buy and a new set of engine mounts. Pleased that the exhaust only noise tested at 85 dB with the cat in, gives me an idea for other days.

I really enjoyed Bedford, it was about getting to know the car on a cheapish day, not too far from home, and building it up gradually to a pasting (plus, making sure I could pass a generous noise test). I'd been before many years ago in my Rover, must've been over 5 years ago as that's how long it's been gone. I was a lot faster in the afternoon than the morning, once I had a feel for the car and the naff tyres.

I totally forgot to play with the coilovers when I was there, I was so focused on other things (i.e. looking for niggles, or driving lol), that when i checked last night i found them only 1 click of about 40 clicks from soft. Laugh Would've undoubtedly benefitted from losing the cat, but I was afraid of destroying the lambda with no time to get a spare so just left the cat on. Tempted to keep an eye out for some other seats though.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 13:26
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #278
I managed to get a trailing arm with stuck torsion bar into my press recently, used an arm shaft with a cutout to bear against the inner side of the arm and pressed the bar out with a suitable socket, took 8 tons!

now I know the method and have a tool made up to hold the arm I don't think I'll ever bother with any other method if it doesn't pull out by hand LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 14:02
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #279
Pics tbh! Big grin

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 14:14
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #280
Taking advantage of some daylight for a change, I set about cleaning it this morning. It was covered in greasy sminge post trackday, so gave it a nice bath. The wheels were ridiculously dusty with brake pad remnants. Laugh

Here she is sitting on the compos, these will get slicks at some point but the tyres must die first!

They are awesome wheels, crying shame the halfwit i bought them off has kerbed them in a few places but no matter.

Took it up to the end of the road and back, and sure enough nipping the pas jubilee up cured nothing and it was still weeping fluid. Got it up in the air, took the hose off and had a good look. Cut back the overbraid and voila:

That pinhole will be why then, straight through the wall. When i took it off the donor car originally i suspect i just used the hose without checking. Checking this time around i noticed it had 15mm hose on the 16mm connections, which had resulted in the hump the eagle eyed amongst you will have seen on the pic above. Ah well, popped to the motor factors and grabbed some hose and fluid, and all done and bled. Big grin

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 20:44
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #281
So, about time I made an update to this I suppose.

As per previous posts it seems that my beam was best taken apart looking at the state of the arm shaft and bearings. Blessing in disguise that I had reason to take it apart I suppose as it wouldn't have lasted long.

So, out with the outer bearings. One came willingly:

The other required a puller using some M14 stud and a backplate:

Which also worked nicely for pulling the inner bearings out. So it was obvious that there was some surface rust in the tube, so cue a handy wire brush with a cable tie and a length of airline...

That worked to clean the beam up a treat, and blew it out with an airline afterwards to clean it up.

Looking at my trailing arms I had a torsion bar stuck in the one trailing arm. Took it to work, and through judicious use of a BFOH and a Bigger BFOH the torsion bar was soon free. The penetrating fluid i'd been applying liberally had worked it's way through in most places, but was then leaking through the first full thickness path so no longer having much effect. Regardless, they both came out in the end:

I took the arm shafts to work and used the press to pop them both out, and brought the arms home so I could clean everything up.

Stripping the old seals and carriers off:

Now, I needed to knock the new bearings into the tube. You can use various tools to do this, but I happened to choose a sleeve for an English Electric 500MW emergency governor trip bolt, which happened to be the perfect size. Big grin I used no 1, but no2 would also suffice. Wink

Outer bearings I just used a lump of ally I had kicking about which was perfectly sized:

Cleaned up the end plates ready for my hybrid arb. I noticed the new shafts were capable of accepting the 30mm ARB so i'm on the lookout for one of those casually.

Torsion bars powdercoated and greased up, arm shafts pressed in and all ready to go back together, I added in some solid beam mounts and used a dummy shock I got made at work to set the ride height aiming for a 30mm drop on 21mm VTS bars.

Just need to pick some new Nylocs up for the shock and mount bolts tomorrow and job done, had all the bolts on the wire brush on the grinder so all nice and clean. Very pleased with how it turned out even though i just threw whatever paints I had kicking about at it lol.

So in one hit i'll have solid beam mounts, lowered 30mm, VTS 21mm bars and a Hybrid arb. Smile

Aside from that i've just been driving it really. Haven't had any bother from her at all and had been umming and ahhing about a track day when I had a nasty accident on my road bike which wasn't pleasant. I got a tax reminder on the mat this week reminding me she's due for an MOT, can't believe it's been a year already. I've gotta get it booked in for an MOT and then the beam can go on, along with my Russian guy top mounts. Smile

Only frustration is my Magnex if making a right racket. Buzzes like mad at 4k which is the Baffles, but as it warms through i get lots of strange noises and it's generally very irritating. Going to have to cut it open and see what's what I think.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 20:47
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #282
Nice to see the old girl still getting love and attention from you buddy :thumbsip
Posted 24th May 2016 at 15:26
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #283
Great write up Si & that looks well smart m8 ....

Just to make you smile ....my Magnex came off yesterday to be renewed with a bespoke jobby & the exhaust guy said have you been having any weird noises or sounds ?
I said yes & he showed me the front silencer was totally empty ...no wadding init at all EMPTY oval useless from Can LOL
Posted 24th May 2016 at 18:26
luke306rallye

Regular

Post #284
Day666 wrote:
Great write up Si & that looks well smart m8 ....

Just to make you smile ....my Magnex came off yesterday to be renewed with a bespoke jobby & the exhaust guy said have you been having any weird noises or sounds ?
I said yes & he showed me the front silencer was totally empty ...no wadding init at all EMPTY oval useless from Can LOL

My magnex was exactly the same, it had been repaired a few times aswell.
Posted 24th May 2016 at 20:06
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #285
Well I suppose I better update this.

Car went for the MOT at end of May, passed with flying colours. MOT tester laughed at the response to the advisory on worn front brake discs last year, by complimenting the Brembos. I had to go away with work a couple times in June so pretty much just brought it home from the MOT and parked it in the garage out the Mrs' way.

I make a conscious effort to get a couple jobs done on it, so took a couple days off work this week to crack on.

Yesterday was the job of the rear beam. 21mm VTS bars, solid rear mounts, hybrid ARB going on all at the same time. Ummed and ahhed about doing it in the garage but rolled it out to be on the safe side, only for it to spend the entire f*cking morning raining, stopping, raining, stopping, raining, stopping. Basically meaning the floor was wet enough to be soaked through by the time i'd finished.

I'd done a beam before on my P3 HDi with EBD, so a bit of faffing around with the load compensator later, and voila - dirty old beam:

Had a few issues with a brake line that didn't want to play ball, but generally wen ok. Pleased with the result, here's a before and after:

Seems awfully close to the tyre on the right but the beam's not for going any further to the left so may have to get the persuader on the arch if it decides to rub. That was Thursday's mission complete anyway, no thanks to the constant showers.

Today brought the job i'd been dreading for a long time. Heater matrix. I had been driving through the winter in the Rallye and was plagued by a misting windscreen and had a small amount of coolant going walkies when checking the levels. I figured that the HG going had probably killed it off, or so I thought.

So, since I have a roll cage I knew this was going to be a lady garden of a job. And I was right. Took a bit of faffing and fiddling getting the front half of the cage to come out, but eventually won the fight. Into the engine bay, spending ages undoing the wipers, motor, dash bolts etc and the most ridiculous heater matrix connection ever. Into the car, spend ages using the force to find all the sodding bolts in random locations before eventually winning the fight:

It was at this point, that my heart sank a little. I realised that the bodge artist who owned the car before me (whichever person it may be) had obviously done the matrix before, since there were no screws holding the matrix into the blower unit and the plastic end cap of the matrix was not there. Had no time to do anything about that really as can't have the car in pieces for days. Still, confirmed that it was the source of my coolant loss as evidenced by the damage and sminge-filled housing.

It had loads of bits of leaves and s**te in there which can only be from when the monglet who owned it before me threw away all the trim and ran just with the rain guard over the fan intake. The bit of a fin missing bit off the end was me being a bit heavy handed taking it out as I was thoroughly frustrated at that point. But then the fun began, trying to get the matrix pipes to go in. A simple feat of plugging two pipes into two pipes but noooooooooooooooo. on the 57th attempt I managed to get the matrix into the bulkhead connector and then same fun and games again with the heater matrix hose in the bay! Dunno why the rallye matrix faq said to remove it really as it achieved nothing but wasting time!! Brake light switch was muchos fun, til I stopped and realised I was being a tit and did it from the drivers door in about 5 seconds lol.

Car finally back in one piece prettymuch. What I lost because I had a cage I gained by not having a full interior. Need to take a pic of the larger white plug in the drivers footwell though as I thought I unplugged something and need some confirmation whether it's unused on a rallye since I have no plugs to go into it - everything seems to work though.

Only snag of the day seems to be that my heater cable only goes to about 80% hot now, as I noticed when running the car up to temp. IT'll go all the way but springs back so obviously has found some extra resistance. I'm shattered tbh and can't be arsed to fix it now. Neither was a particularly fun job but deffo wouldn't advise anyone doing a matrix without some help. took me about 6 hours including the cage, which I haven't yet put back in because I want to paint it. Would have been uber to have an extra pair of hands to speed things up/pass tools/attempt frustrating jobs differently etc.

I feel like a cross between a contortionist and a sado-masochist after today. Arms as red as buggery!

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 20:50
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #286
So a few days have passed by now. I wasn't thrilled about driving the car with half the roll cage missing, due to the proximity of a large piece of cage unguarded next to my head! I drove it just a few times to establish the correct coolant level as I knew it hadn't fully replenished, and to make sure nothing obvious was tits up with the matrix.

I had hated the red cage since I got the car, it was a real colour clash with the blue seats and white car, so it had to go. Having the front half out the car was a perfect opportunity to start painting it. Harry Potter curtains left by the previous owners of our house provided the perfect protection. Razz

In progress:

Colour transformation complete. I'll not be painting any cars any time soon thats for sure..

Added some carbon wrap to the door bars to stop them chipping/rubbing the paint off.

Also found the roof gutter trims that I bought in the corner of the garage, so thought it rude not to fit them, seeing as the gutter always looked dirty otherwise.

Also adjusted the door cards to stop the handles continually separating the surrounds. Picked up a cheap spare Bosch lambda off the forum to enable me to swap decat/lambda together as the one on the cat is properly seized and no point destroying it.

All I need to do now is stop the rubbing and fit the decat then it's ready for a trackday. Got my adjustable top mounts to go on, but not had much time to do that.

I've hopefully got a few days off this week and I need to reset the handbrake as it's lobsided, and there is some rust in the wheelarch I need to attend to which shouldn't take long. Smile

Loving the fact it's almost a finished project lol.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 20:51
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #287
plastic end cap for the matrix?

thats just packaging.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 23rd Jul 2016 at 14:13
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #288
Ahh Thanks Mei, the penny just dropped - I misread the text in the FAQ in my haste to do the job. My new one didn't come with such a cap on the end so didn't notice, I got a genuine valeo one but it arrived in a HUGE box like 8x the size of the matrix lol. Thought at first that they'd sent me a radiator.

Didn't go too badly for the first ever 306 matrix. Smile

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 23rd Jul 2016 at 14:54
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #289
not too bad a job in a non ac car really, easier in s ZX though.

ac adds a lot more faff.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 23rd Jul 2016 at 15:27
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #290
tvrfan007 wrote:

What? Is such a thing possible? LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 24th Jul 2016 at 21:57
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #291
prism7guy wrote:
tvrfan007 wrote:

Is that not when you sell up? LOL

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 25th Jul 2016 at 09:48
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #292
tvrfan007 wrote:
prism7guy wrote:
tvrfan007 wrote:

Is that not when you sell up? LOL

Never! Always find that extra job that needs doing LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 25th Jul 2016 at 12:10
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #293
Brilliant Si ....
When we going to see it & you out on the track ?

Shame I can't make Cadwell Sept
Posted 25th Jul 2016 at 13:50
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #294
Soon I hope, just got to stop the tyre rub (got an arch roller this morning as a present), and spend an evening tidying up a few loose ends like resetting the handbrake and dealing with some surface rust in the back arches from no arch liners and she's all good. Waiting for this lambda to turn up so I can fit my decat too since the other one is stuck and i see little point fighting with it!

I was looking at the track day list this morning funnily enough. Big grin

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 26th Jul 2016 at 13:29
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #295
Cadwell on the 12th of September, should be a few of us going Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 26th Jul 2016 at 16:33
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #296
Bit far to go to kill some s**t tyres atm though! Tempted to do another day at bedford, then change my road tyres for new ones.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 26th Jul 2016 at 22:24
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #297
Ok so i spent all night updating the links in my project thread, since dropbox decided to move them all (thanks for that Dropbox, appreciate it..)

Anyway, went to Bedford Autodrome on Monday for a trackday with Berger. It had hammered it down in the morning which means the track was very wet and very slippery. I just had road tyres on the car which although old, did well enough to have an absolute hoot of a day. Seemed that an entire Clio forum turned up for the day with everything from Phase 1 Turbos to Phase 3 197s. Even bumped into Oliver from here in his Blaze 6 which was giving him handling grief all day.

Good chance to try out the new beam and that, but sadly forgot my action camera to record the day. As the morning went on the track was drying out nicely and it was getting faster and faster. Shame then that over lunch it p**sed it down again and made the track even more wet than the morning. Ah well, still had fun.

Thumbs upThumbs upThumbs upThumbs upThumbs up

Negative of the day for me was the jumped up pen!s in a TTRS driving like a f**king maniac all day, should've been thrown off the trackday in the morning.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 21:13
99rallye

Regular

Post #298
Car looks amazing. There's always one designated dick at each track day!

Good work updating your pictures, I'm in the process of doing mine and it's painstaking!
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 21:19
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #299
Looks good makes me miss my old white rallye
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 21:19
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #300
Cheers guys. Yes it was a total ballache updating the hundreds of pictures, got to go and do it over on 306OC too now as well!!

Car did over 200 miles on track on Monday, plus 100 miles round trip. Burned through around 100 litres of petrol and had no issues at all!! Didn't even lift a finger on the car all day! That's the way it should be!

On the hunt for some R888rs now for the compos...

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 21:44

Pages (14): first .. 11 [12] 13 .. last