displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: Engine Rocking
:: blade ::

Senior User

Post #1
hi all, just been looking at an oldish vid of my pug on the rollers, just wondering is it normal for the engine to rock that much?

clicky here

i have got a GrpN lower mount to fit at some point, so if its not i might invest in the other 2 mounts for it

Black Ph1 XSi-6
161.8BHP (Getting Better!!!!)
Posted 12th Oct 2010 at 03:23
lwgti-6

Senior User

Post #2
The top left mount looks to be the culprit.

Saw this video a while back, sounds lovely mate!

EX Bianca 6 owner,
Now drives: Octavia vRS
Posted 12th Oct 2010 at 23:28

Senior User

Post #3
cheers mate, will get looking for a group n one then, think ive got an OE one here somewhere tho, cheers Smile

Black Ph1 XSi-6
Posted 12th Oct 2010 at 23:51
chas

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
As a word of warning, I am not sure if the 306 transmits as much engine noise as a 205 but my 205 is on Group N Mounts (bar the bottom mount (new OE when I got the car (I am saving changing that for when the clutch is changed).

Compared to before, there is definately more noise. The Dash vibrates (as do the keys a little on idle: this point Andy Baker (www.abmotorsport.com) warned me about in a GTi-6 ). Most of it is below 1.5k I'd say and maybe a little at 3.5k (although I'd be clutching at straws there).

Whilst I like the tightness (changing gear/revving the car is a much nicer affair (although I am probably more delicate/smooth with a clutch since owning my 306s!), the rattling/noise may not be for you. I like it in the 205 but it's not my only car/daily either.). Going in another car beforehand to get a feel for the mounts will pay dividends (from a satisfaction of product perspective IMO).

Bear in mind that new OE mounts will also be much stiffer than 10 year old mounts where oil (well vapour), weather conditions/age have all played their part in the perishing process.

Ex Owner of 2000 Phase 3 306 GTi 6 China Blue - You shall be missed

1974 Triumph Stag
1989 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6
2003 Alfa Romeo 147 JTD Lusso
2005 Mondeo Ghia X 3.0 Estate LPG
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 03:14

Senior User

Post #5
yea i know its going to cause vibrations, going to see if i can live with it, as it will be my daily driver doing 80miles a day, its my track day car to, if i get annoyed with the rattling and what not, will just get some new OEM ones Smile

Black Ph1 XSi-6
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 03:17
chas

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
If it is motorway driving I'd say you'd be fine. Heck I drove my 205 fairly solidly to the 'ring (about 13 hours from Warwick to Nurbug) on Group N mounts with zero slop/little noise (although the R888s played the noisy part I admit!LOL).

Ex Owner of 2000 Phase 3 306 GTi 6 China Blue - You shall be missed

1974 Triumph Stag
1989 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6
2003 Alfa Romeo 147 JTD Lusso
2005 Mondeo Ghia X 3.0 Estate LPG
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 03:21

Senior User

Post #7
haha, yea, pretty much motorway all the way, theres about 3miles which isnt motorway driving Smile so will see how it goes, should all be fine once i get my new miles gear linkages aswell Big grin

Black Ph1 XSi-6
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 03:23
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #8
I found my Group N mounts softened quite a bit after a month or so, almost to the point where the vibration at idle was similar to that of standard mounts Unsure

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 03:24

Senior User

Post #9
went out in my mates fiesta a few months ago with solid mounts, and the vibrations on idle were really bad, felt/sounded asif the car was going to fall apart Big grin

Black Ph1 XSi-6
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 03:25
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
I's fit genuine or Lemforder mounts. It really is unpleasant with group N. I have a groupN lower mount and it really transmits the noise.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 03:42
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #11
smegal wrote:
I's fit genuine or Lemforder mounts. It really is unpleasant with group N. I have a groupN lower mount and it really transmits the noise.

The gearchange and on/off throttle response are so much sweeter with stiff mounts, I'd never go back now, but on a daily driver I can see how it might irk some people Smile

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 03:46

Senior User

Post #12
reet, need to find someone on here close to me, who has gome them fitted, and would be kind enough to take me for a spin

Black Ph1 XSi-6
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 03:47
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
daveyboy wrote:

The gearchange and on/off throttle response are so much sweeter with stiff mounts, I'd never go back now, but on a daily driver I can see how it might irk some people Smile

Mine's fine tbh, although that's probably because the engine weighs about as much as a gnats fart so has a job shaking the shell LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 03:50
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
If I'm ever home I could but that may not be until Christmas.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 03:50
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
smegal wrote:

wus haha i love my group n mounts they are the best but vibration is annoying when your head hurts

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 03:51