displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: What causes warped discs?
vernam616

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Might be a simple question, but what actually causes discs to warp?

I bought my Rallye in march with 105k on from Carl, its now on 107k but i have a judder whilst getting up to around 50mph + and also whilst braking, however all discs and pads were changed + refurbed calipers

Any ideas?

Dan

Audi S3 Black Edition
Posted 5th Sep 2010 at 01:37
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
AFAIK it's the extreme changes in heat causing expansion and contraction, when they cool down again the material distorts slightly.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 5th Sep 2010 at 01:48
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #3
Is it felt through the steering wheel or the seat?
Wheel points to front
seat is rear

have they always judderd?
Could be the mateing face was dirty, did who ever fit them check for run out with a dial test indicator?

If its rears it could be down to applying the handbrake after a spiritd drive.
Posted 5th Sep 2010 at 01:51
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I once read that certain brake pad (DS2500's) can leave a deposit on the disc giving you the impression that the disc is warped (the symptoms you describe) When it happens tho the out come is the same - a new discsYes

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 5th Sep 2010 at 02:27
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #5
SteviePut wrote:
I once read that certain brake pad (DS2500's) can leave a deposit on the disc giving you the impression that the disc is warped (the symptoms you describe) When it happens tho the out come is the same - a new discsYes
i had the same happen with ebc greenstuff pads
soon cleand up when i fitted a set of pagid rs4 2 blue pads
Posted 5th Sep 2010 at 02:31
vernam616

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Hmm unsure of what pads were used, have to have a check tommorow

and i feel it through the steering, tyres get really warm too, even on a steady drive, can do 5-10 miles pull up and they will be very warm, however i can do 70-80 miles in my work van, pull up and they are only luke warm, hence why im thinking something is wrong (coupled with the juddering)

Audi S3 Black Edition
Posted 5th Sep 2010 at 03:08
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #7
My ds's done it at Anglesey last weekend towards the back end of the day, however the journey home they seem to of cleaned up...... no matter some RC 6's inbound before oulton and new discs... just to be sure!Cool

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 5th Sep 2010 at 03:10
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
I had them on the Xsara the second time I went to Germany. They shook that bad that they shook the wheels lose and I mean seriously loseCrazy

It ended in me following a coach around half the track at 40mph LOL

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 5th Sep 2010 at 03:17
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #9
SteviePut wrote:
I had them on the Xsara the second time I went to Germany. They shook that bad that they shook the wheels lose and I mean seriously loseCrazy

It ended in me following a coach around half the track at 40mph LOL

Ha ha yeah it wasn't nice when they did it like, but as i say the discs SEEMED to clean up but i can still see the marks on them and i can't go out and find out by driving it as its now sorned til next month coz i'm off on hol for a week this month so it wasn't worth taxing til next month as it won't move so i'll just replace to be sure!Roll eyes

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 5th Sep 2010 at 03:41
spike_uk06

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Late braking all the time can cause it, my mate used to do this all the time in his car, I.E waiting till 80m before a roundabout to slam on the anchors....

Team China
Team Pirelli
Team Cracked Bumper
20th Nov 1999 she was born
Posted 5th Sep 2010 at 05:29
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
As said, usually it's down to pads overheating and leaving uneven deposits on the disc, actually warping the disc is fairly uncommon.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 5th Sep 2010 at 23:47
stevevac43

Regular

Post #12
ive just put new discs all round on my rallye this week,as i had a sort of clicking coming from rear wheel and a slight sqeak and vibration from front,all these have now gone since putting new disc's and pads all round.
Posted 6th Sep 2010 at 02:25
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
I warped a set of fronts that I bought off Chas. I heard holding the brakes on when stopped can do it; probably my laziness at traffics lights as opposed to driving; I didnt think I was driving that extremely and my pads werent anything special
Posted 6th Sep 2010 at 13:12
nealh

Regular

Post #14
My understanding is that because you've got pad deposits on discs doesn't mean new discs, as it is possible to get rid of the deposits by doing some hard "bedding-in" style braking (few times from high speeds) or they can even just go with normal driving. That said, discs for the 6 are pretty cheap, so can just be worth replacing!

E39 M5
Ph2.5 GTI-6
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 22:54
redrallye

rimjaw

Post #15
Discs dont warp, pads leave deposit on them which causes the juddering.

Put some new pads on, bed them in gently then do some serious heavy braking from a reasonable* speed a few times and this should clean them up. Worked a treat on my Evo as the DS2500s had done God knows what to my expensive AP discs. Just threw some cheapo standard ones on that I had lying around and hey preston a few 100mph --> 0 stops sorted the issue Happy

* it's up to you to judge what is reasonable Whistle No angel Police

Team "310bhp/tonne" Devil Devil

Team "Old Skool Kool" Happy

Team "Faster than a standard 6. No really, both of them are"
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 22:59