displaying posts 26 to 50 of 55

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: tran-x or quaife lsd?
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #26
gti-dan wrote:
cheers for all the advice - i have spoken to tran-x today - told them it will be used in hillclimbing and as such dont want it too snatchy.

They recommended 30/60 ramp angles and lightweight (rather than fully inter....)

I'm 90% there with being convinced that this is the way to go, one thing i have been thinking about though,

say you are hammering around a hairpin, slidding out a bit, understeering, and you hammer the throttle, the diff locks both the front wheels - is this not going to cause bad understeer?!?!?

lastly, i presume a good peugeot indy could fit it?

If you hammer the throttle in a front drive car round a tight hairpin there is only one way you will go and thats straight off. And that holds true for an open, torque biasing or plate type Diff. Spin up the fronts and they won't do an awful lot of steering!

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 20th May 2010 at 00:56
gti-dan

Regular

Post #27
true!
Posted 20th May 2010 at 01:04
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #28
Any garage should be able to fit the LSD, its pretty straightforward.

I fitted my own and the Quaife one just slots straight in. Might be an idea to chack with Miles or the manufacturer for fitment advice on other makes though.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 20th May 2010 at 01:11
pdd144c

Senior User

Post #29
Tran-X diffs aren't quite that simple Jim! You will need to grind the casing away normally, more so on some than others. Peugeots fault for making crap castings in the first place I guess!

FOR SALE

205 Turbo Technics complete and 306 Rallye Race Build breaking.
Posted 20th May 2010 at 01:20
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #30
pdd144c wrote:
Tran-X diffs aren't quite that simple Jim! You will need to grind the casing away normally, more so on some than others. Peugeots fault for making crap castings in the first place I guess!

Ah yes, I remember this bieng mentioned before now. I'm sure with some attention from an angle grinder I can make the bugger fit!

Harness bars
Posted 20th May 2010 at 01:23
pdd144c

Senior User

Post #31
Just need to be careful not to go all the way through the casing lol! Mine took an afternoon of grind, bolt diff in, doesn't fit still, re-grind etc etc! But the end result made it worth the effort!

FOR SALE

Posted 20th May 2010 at 01:26
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #32
pdd144c wrote:
Just need to be careful not to go all the way through the casing lol! Mine took an afternoon of grind, bolt diff in, doesn't fit still, re-grind etc etc! But the end result made it worth the effort!

I have welding capabilities if my enthusiasm gets the better of me! I'll be careful though, thanks Smile

Harness bars
Posted 20th May 2010 at 01:29
pdd144c

Senior User

Post #33
Haha very true! I'm back in Soton in a few weeks so I'll have to pop over and take the p*ss out of you and Chris at somepoint!

FOR SALE

Posted 20th May 2010 at 01:34
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #34
pdd144c wrote:
Haha very true! I'm back in Soton in a few weeks so I'll to pop over and take the p*ss out of you and Chris at somepoint!

Yay! Razz

Harness bars
Posted 20th May 2010 at 01:33
oli h

Post #35
Another Tran-x user here, got mine through Miles at a good price.

Mine is on 45/45 ramp and full preload, 205 gti without PAS and I find it absolutely fine. Makes a bit of noise from the cv's but nothing intolerable.

The difference in handling balance and drive out of the corners is night and day, braking and straight line grip are improved no end too. Don't believe the rumours, plates don't drag you all over the shop, you just get a lot more feedback from the steering which adds to the whole experience.

I'm surprised Tran-x recommended 30/60 ramps, from what I've heard this more suited to gravel but I'm not 100% certain on that
Posted 20th May 2010 at 03:15
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
oli h wrote:
Another Tran-x user here, got mine through Miles at a good price.

Mine is on 45/45 ramp and full preload, 205 gti without PAS and I find it absolutely fine. Makes a bit of noise from the cv's but nothing intolerable.

The difference in handling balance and drive out of the corners is night and day, braking and straight line grip are improved no end too. Don't believe the rumours, plates don't drag you all over the shop, you just get a lot more feedback from the steering which adds to the whole experience.

I'm surprised Tran-x recommended 30/60 ramps, from what I've heard this more suited to gravel but I'm not 100% certain on that

+1 i'm fairly sure 30/60 is a gravel rally setting!?

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 20th May 2010 at 04:34
gti-dan

Regular

Post #37
it may also be a hil climb setting? bear in mind its not very similar to track use???
Posted 20th May 2010 at 04:41
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
You don't always want as much lockup when braking on tarmac with a FWD car anyway, but I would have thought a 45/60 would be a better starting point as a light setting.
Although with hillclimbing traction out of the hairpins will be at a premium, so the 30 ramp might work well with the light interleave, should give a fairly fast lockup.
Definately don't want as much braking lockup on tight, twisty hillclimbs as track work though.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 20th May 2010 at 04:50
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
Taking away the competion type use aspect, and the hard launching side of it, on a bog standard 306 gti6 road car, on OE suspension settings, will the Quaife ATB be a worthwhile addition, and in day to day driving will it be noticable?

I appreciate it will aid cornering to a degree, but will it compromise the fluid nature of the standard car?

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 20th May 2010 at 15:16
pdd144c

Senior User

Post #40
It will indeed Matt.

FOR SALE

Posted 20th May 2010 at 21:45
gti-dan

Regular

Post #41
hmm definately need to get these ramp angles right. can anyone recommend somebody near leeds who acn fit the tran-x diff and carry ot any cutting / grinding etc that might be required?

is anyone here batting for the ATB side?!?!?
Posted 20th May 2010 at 23:36
pdd144c

Senior User

Post #42
Both are good, for road I'd be very tempted to go for a Quaife, they seem easier to live with on a day to day basis.

On track both are good, but for a no compromise setup the plated items would have the edge.

With regards the ramp and plate setup just speak to Tran-X, tell them what you are using the car for and if you have power steering or not, and they'll supply the one best for the job.

FOR SALE

Posted 21st May 2010 at 00:17
berger

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
pdd144c wrote:

Thats a little off putting!

Last thing you want is a seriously weakened cast casing surely Shirley!

Where does it require material removal from? Shock

Bang'in 7 gram rocks!
I have one gear, GO!
Posted 21st May 2010 at 01:06
oli h

Post #44
The amount of material you need to grind away is minimal really, a small amount to go from the inside of the casing beside where the offside diff bearing sits.

The weakest point in the BE transmission is the standard diff itself so you're gaining a lot of strength and reliability by replacing that!
Posted 21st May 2010 at 01:53
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
I bumps this thread as i've been educating myself on these diffs.

Does anyone have a picture of the casing during/after grinding when fitting a Tran X? Smile

Cheers

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 23rd Nov 2010 at 12:29
puglover Banned!

Post #46
gti-dan wrote:
hmm definately need to get these ramp angles right. can anyone recommend somebody near leeds who acn fit the tran-x diff and carry ot any cutting / grinding etc that might be required?

is anyone here batting for the ATB side?!?!?

i can fit you an tran-x diff if you bring all the stuff to me in burnley.

you need to go to a ford dealers to get the bolts to fit the crown wheel though. You get part numbers when you buy one but you have to buy 20 im afraid Sad

The amount of casing to be removed is naff all and wont weaken the box at all. It just catches enough to stop it turning. 20 secs with a dremmel and its sorted.

All ive heard about ATB is that they are iffy and abit un-predictable. I lightly set plate diff is the way foward. Thumbs up
Posted 23rd Nov 2010 at 17:02
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #47
tvrfan007 wrote:

Does anyone have a picture of the casing during/after grinding when fitting a Tran X? Smile

Cheers

Fit the diff in with some engineers blue smeared on the surfaces you think might touch, put it together and it will leave blue witness marks on all the spots that will foul. Remove the high spots with a grinder and repeat until it fits. Should be very straightforward.

Harness bars
Posted 23rd Nov 2010 at 17:50
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
Davey, just new to the whole GTi6/Rallye affair so not sure of the arrangement. Pictures speak 1000 words, wondered if anyone took one. :-)

No issues with access to tooling for..well... anything as i've got free access to our factory - we overhaul/repair things like 100 ton steam turbine rotors. Laugh

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 23rd Nov 2010 at 18:03
puglover Banned!

Post #49
daveyboy wrote:
tvrfan007 wrote:

Cheers

Fit the diff in with some engineers blue smeared on the surfaces you think might touch, put it together and it will leave blue witness marks on all the spots that will foul. Remove the high spots with a grinder and repeat until it fits. Should be very straightforward.

i just fitted it in without the crown wheel and held it firmly on its bearings and span it round to find out what it was catching on.
Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 00:32
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
holy thread resurrection...

do these Tanx-X / Gripper diffs make any noise during driving?

Or are they silent at all?

As there are a few cars round here with plate diffs and when they are driving on the road I can hear the diffs first, and then the engine noise...

I guess that's up to the wrong setting, oil type, and even the bad quality...

But still, I wanted to ask before I buy!

VTS
best 60' : 2.272
best 1/8 ET : 9.375 @ 74.42mph
best 1/4 ET: 14.603 @ 97.047mph

Team Trackday™
Posted 9th Jul 2011 at 02:02

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3