displaying posts 1 to 25 of 119

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: Project é
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #1
Best make a cup of tea, this is a long one.. Happy

Where to begin...

I bought my GTI6 in 2004. Pretty much from my first go behind the wheel, I could see why these cars are as highly regarded as they are. I still remember taking mine home for the first time and enjoying the drive so much, I just had to turn around and do it again! It wasn't long before I was persuaded into doing my first trackday (thanks Ash!) and discovered how much fun it was having the space and conditions to really learn how to drive the car to the limits.

Over time, I gradually worked on improving areas that I felt needed attention (first and foremost the nut behind the wheel Happy). Brakes were uprated, suspension was tweaked, pretty soon I ended up with a "fast road/track" setup I was very happy with.

I don't need to tell you how, in the right conditions, you can easily pester more expensive and supposedly "superior" machinery in a GTI6. But if anything was holding it back, it was a (comparative) lack of poke in the straights against newer stuff. These days even the most numb-chassised hot hatch still packs a good 200+ bhp out of the box. Mellow Of course, it takes minimal skill to go fast in a straight line, but when you're dealing with an annoying punter on a trackday who you're all over in the bends but you can't get past on the straights... well, wouldn't it be nice if you could "stick it to 'em" in all areas...? Devil

So I started wondering, what would the GTI6 have become if Peugeot had carried on developing it? Hmm What would the spec be these days? Of course, we all know the actual Peugeot of today would have given it fugly styling, a mediocre chassis and 175hp to go with its 1500kg Roll eyes but you know what I mean!

I had been keeping an eager eye on Rich W's supercharger conversion. There were some things I'd want to change - keeping my aircon, for example, but overall it seemed like the ideal solution: adding enough power to bring it "up do date", while retaining driveability and the basic characteristics of the car that I liked so much. With that in mind, the 230-250bhp achievable from the low boost conversions would be perfect, especially given the starting point of ~1250kg (which is Corsa VXR/Clio 197 weight these days).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch..
..Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Project é - my 306 project thread.
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 20:41
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #2
First in, Last out...

With a plan in my mind, I put together the money and bought one of the first batch of Supercharger kits from Rich W - even though I knew it'd be a while before I could start the build, since the car was parked on the street. However at the time (and don't laugh) there was a strong suggestion there would be no further SC kits made Shut up Not wanting to miss out, I grabbed one while I could. Of course, we all know that's not the way things panned out and it sometimes feels like there are more supercharged than standard cars around these days LOL

Aaanyway...

After what seemed like an age of moving the big box marked "super-fragile/super-charger" around, buying a house, building a garage(!)... I was finally in a position to start the build.

So... I backed the 6 into my newly-completed garage..

and the de-construction began.

Got a modified aux bracket, powdercoated black to look standard.

Rich W sorted out socketing the ECU for me. Had a nice run in with Dean Skerratt who we discovered was cloning Rich's chips. But that's a whole nother story..

Got to this stage...

And that's about as far as it got for quite a while!

{ a short pause of about 1(!) year follows... during which time I got married, divorced, got ill, got better, got worse, was in and out of hospital, went to prison, got out, got re-married, divorced again, bought a V8 Porsche - some of the previous list may not be true - before I was ready to attack the project once again }

The build re-started. The fuel rail and inlet manifold assembly went on and the engine became "airtight" once again.

Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 20:41
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #3
Do things a little different..

Now, let me start off by saying: I totally understand why Rich W/Lynx made some of the decisions they did with the basic kit in terms of cost, complexity and practicality

Posted 16th Mar 2010 at 05:24
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #4
The dangers of going off-script

The trouble is, the more I was intent on doing things differently and trying to be "clever" (never a good idea!) I could just see why others had thought "sod this for a laugh" and done things the simple way. LOL

I'll be honest - the custom intercooler was a pain and things really didn't go as smoothly as they should have. The powder coating company that RadTec use didn't admit that the shelf in their oven collapsed and they'd dropped my IC. They tried (stupidly) to bodge it back together and hoped nobody would be any the wiser Roll eyes Eventually they were found out, the IC had to get remade from scratch - which meant delivery dates got pinned back, then missed altogether. Dry

Still, on the positive side Keith the MD at RadTec was very helpful and keen to make things up, and in the end I managed to get a substantial discount plus things like the free Mocal engine oil cooler thrown in. So all in all, I would still recommend RadTec, just don't be a tart and decide to have your IC in black. It's not worth the aggro!

The radiator also presented its fair share of problems. It was beautifully built and the mounting points etc.were spot-on. However it was built for standard "hose + hose clip" connections, not the annoying proprietary connectors in our cooling system

Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 20:44
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #5
So the water was all there, the wiring too.. it was time to plumb in the air. Now you can try and use silicone but due to the location of the throttle, the intercooler pipework etc. is all in vacuum at idle (as the throttle is closed but the engine still needs air to run, so it's sucking it through).

But I needed to get it all connected up, even temporarily, just so I could fire it up. I thought I'd get some of the solid plastic hosing that Farmer used (clicky)... as I figured it would do the job just to run the engine and check everything works.. Unfortunately the bend radius on it is frankly appalling, even warming it through to bend it just made it kink. So we ended up with something we called...

The Boost Pretzel Laugh

Yeah, I know! Still, it was good enough so that we could start the car. I was nervous as it had spent quite so long stripped and sat. Reattached the battery, turned the key, let the fuel pump prime, turn the key on more click and... half a turn of the engine and it fires straight up and settles to a smooth idle. No nasty sounds while the oil lifters were filling.. nothing. Smug The cooling system was also functioning perfectly, was very happy to see the water was circulating as it was supposed to, no leaks, no issues.

Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 20:46
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #6
Next on the list was getting it ready for MOT. I would need to swap the boost pretzel for something more practical, and also discovered my POS Longlife exhaust had fallen apart. After seeing Farmer's exhaust (pure work of art) I decided I was going to send my car to Hayward & Scott for a nice custom exhaust and some proper boost piping.

Never thought I'd live to see the day when The Beast leaves its garage again..

Ian over at H&S did a lovely job on the exhaust and boost piping (although there were some teething issues but more on that later). Just before Christmas, I got the car back and was ready for MOT.

The exhaust was also a lovely thing to look at

Posted 17th Mar 2010 at 04:53
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #7
Finally!

Booked it in for MOT, I could tell the guy wanted to pass it... as it's not often you see the tester coming out from the back room mid-MOT with a hammer and a can of WD40 LOL (even though I'd already given the rear compensator valve a can of WD40 and some love taps myself)

Clean as a whistle! Smile

So, with papers stamped, I ran to the post office to get my tax disc and I was back on the road! Cool

(I have since sprayed the brackets holding the IC in black as well, so there really is nothing to see... Ninja)

On the inside, I've got some bits and bobs yet to finish (new seats, bolt-in cage...) One thing I have done however is to fit some gauges. I've had the oil pressure one for a while and I bought a boost one to keep it company. I like these ones (SPA Design) they're the stepper motor type and you get a tell-tale function as well as being able to program various thresholds and warnings. Decided to install the gauges in the central console above the ashtray (and remove the ashtray interior to leave a lit cubby for mobile phone etc.). With the big red warning light if there's anything important to see it soon catches your attention! LOL

I got a spare centre console and used the plastic to make a matching cutout for the gauges.

Gauges slotted in, looks nice and not too "aftermarket" imho.

Posted 17th Mar 2010 at 04:57
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #8
Time to hit the (Rolling) Road

I took the car to the recent RR day Ash organised. The headline figures are 241.1bhp, 196.3 lbft decent curves and a nice stable AFR of around 12.5:1. Very pleased with the results, considering I'm running a cat and the earlier restrictor ring (and therefore slightly lower boost of ~7.5 - 8psi).

I later had the opportunity to take it to a private airfield and run some figures with the Vbox. Was pleased to see a consistent 5.8s 0-60 and 13.0s dead 0-100. Particularly when a Megane R26R does is in 14.7, Megane 250 in 13.7 and the new Focus RS in 13.9 Razz Oh and my figures were 2 up with

Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 20:49
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #9
Big thanks go to all the people who have helped me so much behind the scenes. First and foremost my chief greasemonkey gazzerdaman. If you've got an impossible task, and you've got enough Haribo to cover it, he'll get it done.. Happy
Thanks to all the people who helped me with parts, advice, inspiration, shoulders to cry on, cups of tea, you name it... fletch, farmer, rallyestyle, rich e, smighall, denis, ash, dave, steve (and anyone else I've forgotten) Cheers

And, of course, to Rich W - without whom the massive smile on my face when I take my newly evolved 306 GTI-6 for a spin, would surely not have been possible.. Big grin

Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 20:51
ken

Senior User

Post #10
very nice mate! looks lush

Team Black Rallye Big grin
xbox live - Xx 7 kenny 7 xX

Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 20:51
dangerous dave

Seasoned Pro

Post #11

Working on a supercharged six with a minty 928 in the background.

c*nt LOL

You didn't see anything. Right?
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 21:08
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Excellent write up Mike.

Had no idea what you were up to but it looks very good: much better and more subtle with the new shiny bits coated black. Yes

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 21:09
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
That is a cracking project.

Is powder coating a rad and intercooler ok?

I want to paint mine and was just going to order the black radiator paint from frosts.
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 21:15
CUJ

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Cracking write up, that exhaust looks Love

340 horses
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 21:16
jimmy_boy

Senior User

Post #15
Fantastic write up Mike Thumbs up

Need to all get together at a circuit somewhere soon!

GTI-6 & Rallye

Rallye gets sideways in the wet at Snetterton Ninja
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 21:22
tubbyrutter

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Black IC looks the nuts, very subtle.

Renault Megane Renaultsport 230 F1 Team R26 Blink
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 21:23
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Good work Mike Thumbs up

I must detail Project Rallyestyle st some point Doh

Whats with the

Just Drive It
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 21:29
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #18
LOL It stands for

Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 21:30
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
At last, lovely write up and a pleasure to read Mike.

Although all that extra weight...

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 21:30
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Mike,

Excellent conversion and write up. You said You were working on a secret project (unless there are more secret projects coming!) ... and I already knew about the SC so when seeing the thread title 'project e' and the mini me Gti-6 photo I thought you had put an electric engine in an chopped down the 6 into a 'smart car 6' LOL

So enough about the SC ... Dry

cosmic spanner wrote:
{ a short pause of about 1(!) year follows... during which time I got married, divorced, got ill, got better, got worse, was in and out of hospital, went to prison, got out, got re-married, divorced again, bought a V8 Porsche - some of the previous list may not be true - before I was ready to attack the project once again }

Expand this section in a new thread ... Whistle
It only reinforces the fact a man cannot multi-task ... start a SC conversion and life falls to bits!
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 21:48
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
iplay wrote:
start a SC conversion and life falls to bits!

This is not so far from the truth Laugh

Just Drive It
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 21:48
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Love

although i couldnt live with that exhaust im afraid, id id be polishing it every 5 mins, and god forbid if i ever scratched it id friggin loose it . Its stunning! LOL
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 21:51
joker

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Effort Thumbs up

Team 375 BHP Duratec™
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 21:53
bininoz

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Nery nice Smile I had thought about getting a custom rad and intercooler, so it could be set up like yours. Decided that i didnt need to pay for a 4th intercooler and boost pipework set up LOL

Team High Boost Supercharged Gti-6

Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 23:44
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #25
Awesome work mate and has to be one of the best thought out installs as the s/c route goes Love
Posted 16th Mar 2010 at 03:38

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 .. last