displaying posts 51 to 75 of 119

Pages (5): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last

Author Subject: Project é
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #51
orta wrote:
Awesome car mate, I regret my Air Con doesn't work. I hit the ring in my old Fabia vRS (Coldest air con I've ever had). So I'm worried about my next trip! Might have to go in the winter...

No matter how cold you will still sweat with excitement Yes Thumbs up

Just Drive It
Posted 8th Jul 2010 at 20:09
mabgti

NV motors

Post #52
mike got anymore pics of the back box?

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 28th Aug 2010 at 06:39
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #53
No, actually the pics on this thread are of the original backbox. I'll see if I can take some more next time I'm under there..

Time for a mini-update soon.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch..
..Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Project é - my 306 project thread.
Posted 31st Aug 2010 at 17:34
blaze wip

Senior User

Post #54
How have i not seen this before now?!

Cracking write up, awesome thought process and you actually turned it into a fully functioning motor (instead of getting bored and selling up Whistle)

Fabulous job mate! Thumbs up

mechanical_repairs wrote:

i feel like giving her a good dry bumming session.
Posted 31st Aug 2010 at 18:14
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
I'm loving this thread, keep up the good work!!!!

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 2nd Sep 2010 at 06:47
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #56
Well, a few thousand miles down the road and the car is still running. If anything, it's actually gotten a little quicker - I ran some tests on the same strip as before the other day (if anything, in slightly warmer temps) and 0-100mph is now a repeatable 12.7s Cool

This update is brought to you by the word "Coolant"

I did pick up a bit of an issue, I seemed to be losing coolant. Mellow Not at an alarming rate, but still enough to need a top up every 500 miles or so. Hmm I was convinced it would be the head gasket, especially after my coolant turned a weird shade of brown after a trackday. But subsequent tests showed no combustion gasses in the bottle and a compression test looked OK (200,206,206,200). So I flushed the oil and the coolant and kept an eye on it, but no mystery puddles and no further oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. Yet still the coolant level was going down Dunno I thought maybe it's a leaking rad cap, so I got a new one. Also vented the overflow into a plastic bottle so I could see if it was going out that way.. Still no dice.

Then, the other day, while I had my head in the wheelarch, I spotted something. That bloody Gates hose I'd been so pleased to find (the one from the back of the block to the bottom of the rad) had tell-tale stains of coolant on it Dry The hose is constructed with a wire embedded inside to allow it to bend to tight bend radius without kinking, there are no obvious puncture or damage marks and it's well protected where it is, so I am guessing that the wire somehow broke and punctured the inner hose and allowed coolant out between the rubber and the outter protective sleeve..

Check this out Angry

Still, I had a spare length of the gates hose and - ever the optimist - I decided to renew it and see how that holds up. Perhaps it was just a manufacturing fault of the first hose..I can't see what else could have gone wrong. At least I hope that's the cause - there's also an ominous shadow across the bottom of my radiator, though it seems to be worst near the drain plug area so I'm hoping it's just spills from the various coolant drains/flushes.. if it isn't and it turns out the rad is leaking as well then I am going to suffer a biblical sense of humour failure. Mellow

While the coolant system was drained, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to fit something shiny Happy Having previously run into packaging problems with a regular oil cooler, I thought I would try something a little different (here we go again! LOL) and go for a Laminova cooler instead. Apparently some of the touring cars ran this setup. Since there seems to be next to no mention of these on the forum (literally a couple of posts), I'll paste in a bit of the blurb in case anyone finds it useful:

quote:
Laminova Oil Water coolers are an advanced oil-to-water intercooler which are easy to install, particularily where space is limited or where it can be difficult to fit a conventional oil cooler. They :

* Are better protected from debris/crash damage.
* Can be cleaned after a blow up.
* Allow oil to get up to operating temperature more quickly.
* Can be fitted practically anywhere.

The cores, through which the oil flows, have, by some magical process, been machined to provide fins 0.2 mm (7 thou) thick, 3mm high and spaced 0.3mm (11 thou) apart. Such restrictive finning would normally cause a huge pressure drop, but by introducing channels in the finning, the oil flow is kept laminar as opposed to turbulent as in other cooler designs and the pressure drop remains low.

Seems like a neat solution, and one that would work well with the improved cooling capacity that I have (leaks aside!).

Fitting was a case of cutting down the rad top hose and putting this in-line, then connecting oil hoses Wizard and the usual sandwich plate (without thermostat, as I wanted to benefit from the heat exchanger helping to warm the oil up initially when it's cold).

There was a bit of an annoyance at the oil sandwich plate side, with -8 JIC fittings and big 22mm nuts on the oil hose connectors, there was no way of getting my adjustable spanner on to tighten one side without fouling on the other connector Doh So next morning I headed off to Halfrauds to buy a proper 22mm spanner, only to discover this wouldn't fit either. Basically, Mocal had devised a setup for which no tool seemed to exist to assemble it! Thanks a bunch, lads Angry

So, I got creative with an angle grinder and made frankenstein's monster out of the 22mm spanner, a tool I can never return and has only one very niche purpose on my car!

Here it is, after finally getting the fittings tight. Due to the angle of the 205 outlet I'm using, it towards the boost pipe a bit, but I may stick some heat wrap on there to help - and perhaps a custom outlet for the future.

The size of unit I've gone for is roughly the equivalent of a 16-19 row normal cooler. The standard hooligan test seems to show rock solid oil temps (much more so than before) Cool but will need further testing to make sure, preferably on a trackday soon Big grin

Now just have to cross my fingers and keep an eye on that coolant level..!

Posted 2nd Sep 2010 at 21:32
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
Nice work mike Thumbs up

Does that oil cooler just use a feed from the rad or something then? Expensive?

Just Drive It
Posted 2nd Sep 2010 at 21:33
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #58
About £40ish more than the equivalent oil-to-air cooler.

Yes it needs coolant flowing through it, preferably the full flow although if you only have, say, a heater matrix hose available (which sees less flow) they can supply blanking plugs for the coolant chamber to help compensate.

On their advice, I took the direct route and plumbed it in place of a section of the top rad hose i.e. thermostat housing -> laminova -> rad. Theoretically, though, it can go pretty much anywhere in the engine bay and just route the coolant & oil hoses to it, which is useful if you've got space/packaging issues.

Thumbs up

Posted 2nd Sep 2010 at 22:22
mabgti

NV motors

Post #59
Schweeet... I'm liking that alot.. saves the oil cooler getting stone chipped and lose oil pressure at 7K rpmLOL

I'm gonna notoriously copy you if you would be so kind in telling me where you got it all from Big grin

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 2nd Sep 2010 at 22:58
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #60
mabgti wrote:
Schweeet... I'm liking that alot.. saves the oil cooler getting stone chipped and lose oil pressure at 7K rpmLOL

Indeed! It's one of the things I was thinking about, as I wasn't happy with the spots I had left to place my normal cooler. Plus, mounting one properly can be fiddly, The beauty of this is it's a sturdy unit, no mounting tabs or fragile fins, the coolant hose is what holds it in place.

mabgti wrote:
I'm gonna notoriously copy you if you would be so kind in telling me where you got it all from Big grin

No problem Smile PM sent..

Posted 3rd Sep 2010 at 04:56
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #61
who wants to see the cooler? SHOW US FRANKENSTEIN'S SPANNER!!!

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 3rd Sep 2010 at 21:13
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #62
The spanner you need is an Imperial one, something like 7/8" or so. I can't remember exactly. Unfortunately bieng a child of the 70s I did'nt have one in my toolbox, but a quick rummage in Dad's unearthed what I was looking for.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 3rd Sep 2010 at 23:11
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #63
Huh? it wasn't so much the size (a 22mm fitted fine but I guess that's close enough to 7/8") it's the meat around the jaws - the problem is the two connectors are a few mm apart and make it very difficult to fit a spanner over one without fouling on the other Wink

Posted 3rd Sep 2010 at 23:18
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #64
cosmic spanner wrote:
Huh? it wasn't so much the size (a 22mm fitted fine but I guess that's close enough to 7/8") it's the meat around the jaws - the problem is the two connectors are a few mm apart and make it very difficult to fit a spanner over one without fouling on the other Wink

Did you thin one down with a grinder then? Big grin

I was lucky, Dad had some slimline Britool ones, you got to love raiding other peoples boxes for special tools Wink

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 4th Sep 2010 at 00:41
simgti6

Senior User

Post #65
good write up fella, but where did you mount the power steering pump? I guess your using an electric one as you've kept the a/c
Posted 15th Sep 2010 at 23:14
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #66
This car is steer'd by a man! no PAS pump required!

Atleast, not when I last saw the car anyway...

Long live the Sigma 6 Big grin
Team Phase 1 supercharged

XBL ID: farmer uk1
Posted 29th Sep 2010 at 05:07
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #67
Well, I've been holding back on posting lately. I had been planning on "doing a Jerry Maguire", but after a bit of thought, I've decided an update to the project thread would be a good use for my 10,000th post! Blink

So what's new with Project é?

I now have power steering. It's true I had previously left it out to see how I got on with it. While I loved the feel of it, was a bit tough at parking speeds and to be honest, when you're driving hard and you've got the car up on its toes, there wasn't much... finesse. So in went the 106 pump.

To those who were asking for details, I'd say: 1) Get yer own bleedin' ideas!! Razz and 2) here's a pic Happy

Rather than faffing about with routing battery into the cabin (or an epas pump in the passenger sunvisor for that matter Laugh) why not fit both in the engine bay where they belong! Offset the pump a little with a nice lightweight battery rather than the massive Bosch silvertop I had in there previously. Battery is a Powervamp 30 and after some back of envelope calculations, should be up to the task.

On thursday I had the opportunity to test everything thoroughly at Oulton Park - this time with an oil cooler, power steering (and diff!). Have to say the car performed beautifully - plenty of power, brakes were absolutely unburstable all day and the temps kept nicely under control. And what a great circuit!

Had a lot of fun. OK the trouble now is the company I keep - lots of very rapid, proper track spec 306 weapons Devil but I certainly surprised some BMWs, Hondas and Focus RSs that were there with us. Whistle

There are still a few things to sort out (aren't there always?) but I'm now very very close to having my "perfect" GTI6. And I can't wait to get to the Nordschleife in the spring!

Posted 15th Nov 2010 at 22:58
dangerous dave

Seasoned Pro

Post #68
Awesome

You didn't see anything. Right?
Posted 23rd Nov 2010 at 23:10
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #69
just read through the thread dont think ive looked at it before. good work, love the oem approach to thingsSmile
The gates radiator pipe you've used, are you sure that its water compatable. i used to work in an agricultral parts depot and used to sell that as air hose. You can purchase this hose below which is radiator hose, im running it on the 205. halfords sell it in shorted lengths but it is available in 1m lengths too.

like so

also using one for the lower rad pipe, using the 205 elbow at the back, a metal water pipe (32mm) and a flexi like above to connect to the radiator outlet.

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 23rd Nov 2010 at 23:44
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #70
rallyeash wrote:
just read through the thread dont think ive looked at it before. good work, love the oem approach to thingsSmile

Cheers!

rallyeash wrote:
The gates radiator pipe you've used, are you sure that its water compatable. i used to work in an agricultral parts depot and used to sell that as air hose. You can purchase this hose below which is radiator hose, im running it on the 205. halfords sell it in shorted lengths but it is available in 1m lengths too.

I think they put their green stripe on different products, but this is supposed to be "Green Stripe Coolant Hose". So here's hoping! LOL

I know the stuff you mean, it's the "Vulcoflex" isn't it? So far, the replacement has sorted the issue so maybe it was a freak incident. But if it does go again then I will have to use something else.

In terms of an update, the car is now due its second MOT. How time flies!

Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 17:08
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #71
Is that a bit of wood in your engine bay mike? Unsure Surely not Laugh Wink

Just Drive It
Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 17:07
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #72
I.. Unsure er.. Erm? .. Blush well spotted.

In my defence, it's not load bearing - it's just there to protect the battery a bit and support the positive bus bar the way the stock battery box does (which wouldn't work so well if it was metal).

Hopefully this is a slightly more approved use of wood in the engine bay, rather than supporting the slam panel etc. Whistle

Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 17:17
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #73
cosmic spanner wrote:

Hopefully this is a slightly more approved use of wood in the engine bay, rather than supporting the slam panel etc. Whistle

Laugh Forget Carbonfibre, wood is making a comeback Ninja

I like the placement of everything though, you have taken a lot of time and effort to squeeze everything in, top work Thumbs up

Just Drive It
Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 17:16
306gti6head

Regular

Post #74
Any final finished engine bay shots ? Ninja

Thank Phat Its Friday

Team: Ninja Gti6
Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 21:41
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #75
Not that I can think of, but I'm sure I can take one (when it's not snowing) LOL

Well, late last night I had to take an emergency trip up to Suffolk where they had a fair amount of snow (and the roads were ungritted). Was pretty hairy in places, but Pilot Sport 3's and a quaife make a surprisingly game combination - who knew! Ironically, today these landed on my desk:

Will see how they do, but I've heard good things.

2nd MOT is due soon, which means the car has been running supercharged for a year now Cool How time flies!

Posted 2nd Dec 2010 at 01:34

Pages (5): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last