displaying posts 1 to 23 of 23

Author Subject: Sorting out the handling
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I'm going to get round to sorting out the handling on my car one my loan comes thru Razz I'm looking to have the rear beam rebuilt and then lowered on Koni adjustables all round but I want to know what other parts I should think of changing whilst I am at it.

The rear beam is knocking and I am torn between solid and poly mounts, are the solid to harsh for every day driving? What should I look at changing on the front, I have seen the alu top mounts for the shocks. Are these worth the money or go for standards.

Think that is it, any other advice then add it on!

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 13th Jan 2010 at 22:23
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
have a search and you will come across loads of info,
if your not going on track then just get some standard mounts IMO.
Posted 13th Jan 2010 at 22:34
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I 100% recommend solid mounts. I reckon standard ur if you are really keen uprated standard top mounts are ok. Rich_W roller bearing wishbone bushes are a REALLY worthwhile mod too.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 13th Jan 2010 at 22:36
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Yeah they do look at tasty piece of kit but 200 quid, I'll have to get some overtime in before I shell out for those!

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 13th Jan 2010 at 22:57
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
PM daveyboy on here he may be able to do some cheaper.(solid rear mounts)

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 13th Jan 2010 at 22:59
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
i have daveyboy ones and they are spot on. well worth the money , but unless your going to be driving hard then some new standard ones will be fine
Posted 13th Jan 2010 at 23:06
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
spend your money on new wishbone bushes, decent tyres, and new shocks, bilstein B4's will do the job fine , and your car will be transformed
Posted 13th Jan 2010 at 23:08
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Well I am looking to do some track days in the future, just need to sort out another engine and tune it up a bit. Should have a nice little car by the end of the year......... Just no money lol

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 13th Jan 2010 at 23:09
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
i will have a full set of used koni adjustables for sale soon.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 13th Jan 2010 at 23:11
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
Well I am looking to do some track days in the future, just need to sort out another engine and tune it up a bit. Should have a nice little car by the end of the year......... Just no money lol

dont waste your money on the engine you will be underwhelmed unless you charge or go full forged bodies, lairy cams etc etc

spend moneys on handling and brakes, and you will catch almost anything on track
Posted 13th Jan 2010 at 23:22
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
How long until they are up for sale, hoping to have everything together by the middle of Feb to change it all over.

I just put PE2's all round so that's tyres done, suspension is the next box. Been eyeing up the Quiafe LSD, all I have heard is praise so that is on my list aswell. Saying that, everything you can do to the 6 is on my list somewhere. I'm sure charging it is there somewhere aswell!

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 13th Jan 2010 at 23:30
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
the fronts are ready to go ,but the rears are still on the car, until i get my arse round to getting them changed, i reckon i should have the rears ready for the end of feb matey.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 13th Jan 2010 at 23:31
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #13
My advice would be to get the car working as it's supposed to be first, before you go spending money on "uprated" parts everywhere.

Otherwise, as so often happens, what you're really comparing is old & tired, vs new & "improved".

What exactly is wrong with the handling that needs "sorting out"? Remember these cars were renowned for their handling, straight out of the box. By the sounds of it, yours is feeling a little tired, probably on original shocks, bushes etc.

So why not get it up to scratch first, do a trackday or two, learn about the car, and yourself/driving style.. and then figure out what needs "improving"? Before automatically spending

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch..
..Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Project é - my 306 project thread.
Posted 13th Jan 2010 at 23:47
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #14
that man speaketh much sense Thumbs up

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Jan 2010 at 23:52
peugeot dave

Regular

Post #15
welshpug! wrote:
that man speaketh much sense Thumbs up

Seconded !!!

my car's spending all my money grrrrrrrrrr
Posted 14th Jan 2010 at 00:19
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
click here thats what i done with a hybrid arb great i think

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 14th Jan 2010 at 02:57
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Well I had a 205 GTi before which I changed the shocks all round and solid mounts on the rear/new pug wishbone bushes but also changed loads of other things - putting all 309 running gear so it was a total overhaul and they were reknowned for their 'hot handling' but not enough IMHO

Wanted to know with the 6 if there are such extreme changes to be made or can improved handling be achieved with just uprating bushes mounts and suspension.

I know the way I drive and cos I had the 205 I know what the back end should feel like or what I want it to feel like on my 6. At the moment it is wooly and seems to lurch back and forth even after coming out of the corners. The front end is also feeling a bit loose, when turning the wheel it isn't biting like I would hope that it would. The best option would be to drive a nice standard 6 and see where I am going wrong or give me a level to expect, unless ppl are doing test drives that idea is out the window.

I know I could go back to standard to see what really I want to improve but this isn't a cheap option, this would mean buying Pug original spares which often cos as much as a uprated version by another company.

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 14th Jan 2010 at 04:29
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #18
jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
Well I had a 205 GTi before which I changed the shocks all round and solid mounts on the rear/new pug wishbone bushes but also changed loads of other things - putting all 309 running gear so it was a total overhaul and they were reknowned for their 'hot handling' but not enough IMHO

Wanted to know with the 6 if there are such extreme changes to be made or can improved handling be achieved with just uprating bushes mounts and suspension.

I know the way I drive and cos I had the 205 I know what the back end should feel like or what I want it to feel like on my 6. At the moment it is wooly and seems to lurch back and forth even after coming out of the corners. The front end is also feeling a bit loose, when turning the wheel it isn't biting like I would hope that it would. The best option would be to drive a nice standard 6 and see where I am going wrong or give me a level to expect, unless ppl are doing test drives that idea is out the window.

I know I could go back to standard to see what really I want to improve but this isn't a cheap option, this would mean buying Pug original spares which often cos as much as a uprated version by another company.

Exactly, genuine Pug suspension parts will give you a massive improvement in handling and feel over tired/worn OEM parts. However, you will see a further improvement in feedback and response when shifting to solid wishbone and rear beam mounts. I noticed a definite leap when doing mine, and my suspension was renewed just before I bought the car so it was a reasonably fair back to back test. I think if you can only afford to do one thing then the wishbone kit is the one I would pump for, coupled to a set of new rear mounts. Your steering geometry will stay more stable under load and understeer is reduced greatly. As for LSD's I have a Quaife and for track work it's not the best to go for, you want to be looking at a Tranx or Kaaz plate type (fully locking) Diff.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 28th Jan 2010 at 23:56
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
I think there are plenty of things to sort out or uprate before you get a decent diff. With a fairly nice suspension setup there isn't much that can stay with mine on a standard engine.

I've not ever felt like it needed a diff - sorting out your rear suspension will make that obvious as thats what making your car feel like it might need one at the moment.

Nothing to see here
Posted 29th Jan 2010 at 00:12
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #20
adam b wrote:
I think there are plenty of things to sort out or uprate before you get a decent diff. With a fairly nice suspension setup there isn't much that can stay with mine on a standard engine.

I've not ever felt like it needed a diff - sorting out your rear suspension will make that obvious as thats what making your car feel like it might need one at the moment.

Tight hairpins are the place where you appreciate it most, but as there are'nt too many of those on the average circuit the cost vs. benefit question does get raised, it's certainly a quicker car with one fitted, it's all down to wether or not you can justify it.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 29th Jan 2010 at 17:37
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Yeah have heard a few people say that a full plate one is better on the track, but it will still be used on the road so unsure I will be able to live with the plate diff. I'm going pick up another engine this week, rebuild that and then get all the shinny bits together for when I change the engine. Defo going for the solid rear mounts and possibly the solid wishbone set. Unsure what shocks to get tho!

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 29th Jan 2010 at 22:31
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #22
If its occasional track use, mostly road get a Quaife diff if you want to get a diff.

Suspension wise, spend as much as you can on it, though, going with adjustable rebound, compression and height will probably be too much to mess about with.

Ive got some SPAX rebound adjustable coilovers that ive not fitted yet, but i might sell them as i cannot use adjustable top mounts with them, and i want to.
Posted 29th Jan 2010 at 22:46
gti-dan

Regular

Post #23
what coilovers can you use with adjustable top mounts then?

I recently did my first trackday and my idea was to get the car up to good standard condition first - i could then identify what needed upgrading - one trackday and the front spring spapped and ripped my tyre off! So as said above - not necessarily a fair comparison as i don't know how old those standard springs were - but i will definately be upgrading with uprated parts! Do not want a repeat of that! Im thinking of going with SPAX RSX because although i'd like adjustable top mounts they aren't allowed in the class i want to compete in.

I hear that the rear beam comes under a lot of strain - especially if you lower the TB (not done yet) what do i need to do to prevent any failure here? Solid beam mounts? anything else?
Posted 14th Mar 2010 at 14:55