displaying posts 51 to 75 of 94

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4

Author Subject: Mazda powered 306 race car build
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #51
^^As long as they're looked after properly they're fine.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 5th Oct 2009 at 16:24
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #52
rallyestyle wrote:
So is the 13b Mazda engine considered fairly reliable then? Interesting choice of engine, was it due to the size or something like that?

Low centre of gravity I guessDunno

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 5th Oct 2009 at 17:10
pooouk

Regular

Post #53
I reckon the Mazda engine is going in just because he can make it go in, which is basically just showing off.....

Nick

AKA nick on 205gtidrivers.com
Posted 5th Oct 2009 at 17:17
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #54
IIRC I think its going in because it produces 400+ bhp & its sat in the corner of the workshop doing nowtNinja

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 5th Oct 2009 at 17:26
rikky 🦔

Post #55
LOL might put a spare double vanos m3 engine to use then Whistle phillip, you any good at making engine mounts LOL

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 5th Oct 2009 at 17:31
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
Nah, we just throw an engine into the middle of the frame and hope it gets stuck.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 5th Oct 2009 at 17:38
mabgti

NV motors

Post #57
interesting project... dieting is the craziest ive heard of. Cant wait to see the engine mounted inBig grin

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 5th Oct 2009 at 23:27
crf450

Senior User

Post #58
phillipm wrote:
Be having a batch of pads made in ~6 weeks if you want some Martin.

I reckon I can machine two sets of rear pads out of one set of Alcon Mintex 1066 front pads I've got spare,if I have any problems I'll take you up on that offer, thanks.
As I've said the Mazda engine came out my mate's RX7,he'd bought the car as track/race car from Japan with unknown history but it was obvious the car had done alot of work and he must have done 20 track days or more in it without a hitch until it blew a water seal,he then decided go for a 700bhp LS2 transplant.
The price I gave for the whole lot reflected that it wanted at least a freshen up.
After seeing the car in action I reckon the way it came on boost and produced its seemingly endless linear power would really suite my 306 chassis.
The decision to use the engine was also swung by noticing the way the engines sat in some of the super-tourers that race in the LMA. If you look under the bonnet of any of these cars it looks as though the cylinder head is off. To give you another idea how low the engines sit in these cars the Mondeo V6 super-tourer has one of the drive-shafts going through the center of the V! I saw this conversion as cheap way of moving a bulk of weight towards the bottom of the car without going to the expense of buying one of these upside-down g/box's that the super-tourers run.
I'm not sure how heavy the 13B engines is compared to the 6 engine (maybe Phil knows) but I do know its silhouette is smaller than the six g/box bell housing.
Point of interest - My mate who sold me the engine is Craig Winstanley who's son Danny is winning class A of TVR challenge.
The now LS2 powered RX7 of Craigs is for sale at the moment on Pistonheads for 28k if anyone fancy's a truly mental car.
Cheers Martin

Quote "da g man!"
"You've only got to watch the "306 vs ringtaxi" video & you soon realise how good these mod's are! That guy is running Ash's 30mm ARB, Solid Mounts & 23mm Torsion Bars & some adjustments on the camber. Admittedly, the guy is an awesome driver, but it just go's to show how well these cars can handle with the right modification's
Posted 6th Oct 2009 at 01:00
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #59
163kg-ish for a turbo dressed up in road going trim.
About 140kg for a race spec. one with extra wiring/aircon pump/PAS pump knocked off, etc.

Renesis N/A is about 145kg dressed, 100kg race-spec. with lightweight alternator/tubular manifolds, cable throttle body, etc

As for the low CoG for racecars, well:

And if you look very closely at this, you'll see the propshaft actually runs through the engine...

Email me!
Posted 6th Oct 2009 at 01:18
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #60
Holy crap Martin!
Now i see why you moved the old tailgate on to gain 1-2 Kgs!

All that Titanium is Crazy

Loving the progress so far mate, should be an awesome beast!

400bhp, 850Kgs = 470 bhp/ton!

Long live the Sigma 6 Big grin
Team Phase 1 supercharged

XBL ID: farmer uk1
Posted 6th Oct 2009 at 02:54
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #61
What wheels are you using to get 0 offset martin ? does that mean you have extended the beam you have made to suit ?

Dan

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 6th Oct 2009 at 03:22
crf450

Senior User

Post #62
farmer wrote:
Holy crap Martin!
Now i see why you moved the old tailgate on to gain 1-2 Kgs!

All that Titanium is Crazy

Loving the progress so far mate, should be an awesome beast!

400bhp, 850Kgs = 470 bhp/ton!

I hadn't really considered the power to weight ratio,I suppose with the 420bhp which it'll have when I've tidied the pipe work up it'll be near 500bhp/ton which should be ample.
Dan, the wheels I'm using on the back are 17" by 9" ATS DTC's which I bought off user "Sam",they look mint but the ET is only suitable for the rear.I've got another set on order which are ET15 which I'll use for the front. Bit of a compromise using different spec wheels front to back but I'd bought the wheels before I realized they weren't ideal.
Cheers Martin

Quote "da g man!"
"You've only got to watch the "306 vs ringtaxi" video & you soon realise how good these mod's are! That guy is running Ash's 30mm ARB, Solid Mounts & 23mm Torsion Bars & some adjustments on the camber. Admittedly, the guy is an awesome driver, but it just go's to show how well these cars can handle with the right modification's
Posted 7th Oct 2009 at 01:33
pdd144c

Senior User

Post #63
Looking very nice Martin, come and race in DMN instead! There were only 6 cars out in LMA at the weekend!

FOR SALE

205 Turbo Technics complete and 306 Rallye Race Build breaking.
Posted 7th Oct 2009 at 15:39
crf450

Senior User

Post #64
I think that was because it was at Lydden,generally there's been a good turn out this year. We are looking a different championships,Northern saloon cars is an option but I'll take a look at the DMN,would I be allowed in?

Quote "da g man!"
Posted 7th Oct 2009 at 16:15
rikky 🦔

Post #65
no pictures of this engine being hoisted into your car atall or anything?? come on get with it LOL work faster please Whistle

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 7th Oct 2009 at 16:36
al4x

Seasoned Pro

Post #66
should you be making comments like that Rikky, your 306 has taken a little while itself LOL
Posted 7th Oct 2009 at 16:45
pdd144c

Senior User

Post #67
That's very true. I don't see why not, although you will be in the top class for sure. But you'll have the pace so it doesn't matter!

FOR SALE

Posted 7th Oct 2009 at 18:52
crf450

Senior User

Post #68
pdd144c wrote:
That's very true. I don't see why not, although you will be in the top class for sure. But you'll have the pace so it doesn't matter!

Remember technically my car wiil be 1.3 forced induction which in some race series will put me in 2ltr N/A class.Big grin

Quote "da g man!"
Posted 7th Oct 2009 at 20:45
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #69
Most MSA series these days run the 1.5 equivilancy ratio for rotaries though don't they?

(Our doesn't Devil)

Email me!
Posted 7th Oct 2009 at 20:50
xsara27

Junior User

Post #70
pdd144c wrote:
Looking very nice Martin, come and race in DMN instead!

If you can get an entry - more than enough at Silverstone.
Posted 8th Oct 2009 at 01:49
pdd144c

Senior User

Post #71
A lot of series including DMN will put you in the top class as you are not using an engine manufactured by the original manufacture of the car.

FOR SALE

Posted 8th Oct 2009 at 03:23
crf450

Senior User

Post #72
I've not posted here for a while because my project stalled when I came to sorting out the front suspension geometry.
I was hoping to correct the wishbone angle with hub adaptors fitted to 406 uprights but I'm running the car that low that it I couldn't do it this way.
This left one option which was to make my own uprights. The only problem I had was if I was going to the trouble of making uprights I needed to get the design right and this is what I've been doing in the last few months very slowly.
I've done a lot of research and bought suspension books and spoke to lots of people but the design I've ended up with used the basic angles and points off a 888 designed BTTC Astra coupe that Touring car spares kindly sent me on a sale or return basis. I had intended on trying to adapt the Astra upright but because it was designed for a center lock wheel it was impossible to utilise, so I ended up having a trip to Brighton and messuring the actual car the upright came off. As I've got a few people interested in having a pair off me I'm making them so as much as the original stuff will fit straight on.
The pictures wont mean much yet but I'll keep posting more pictures as I progress with them.
Cheers Martin

Quote "da g man!"
Posted 10th May 2010 at 01:10
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #73
Thumbs up

Email me!
Posted 10th May 2010 at 01:12
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #74
Holy shit Martin, you're bordering on building a proper spec Touring car here! I've always thought about replacing those ugly lump of cast iron uprights with some nice ones but figured it would be so ridiculously expensive never really looked into it.

Have you ever seen the Seat sport uprights used on the original Cupra race cars? They were like welded aluminium sheet I think, looked good but not that special, could be easier to adapt than machining one from scratch!

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 10th May 2010 at 02:00
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #75
looks a little like what would be found on a Maxi?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th May 2010 at 01:58

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4