displaying posts 151 to 175 of 180

Pages (8): first .. 6 [7] 8

Author Subject: Ap sportfahrwerke coilovers?
rikky 🦔

Post #151
i know of one guy on here who is in the process of buying them so probably has trhem by now, i'll find out. they are meant to be a very good coilover for the price, i think phillipm knew a bit about them, think they are based on koni's or something?

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 8th Jul 2010 at 21:33
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #152
rikky wrote:
i know of one guy on here who is in the process of buying them so probably has trhem by now, i'll find out. they are meant to be a very good coilover for the price, i think phillipm knew a bit about them, think they are based on koni's or something?

Have had a read of the thread and it seems that way Yes

I have sent them an email to see what they know and what kind of deals they can do us Yes

I think my standard stuff has pretty much had it and although id love some AST's i just cant afford them Doh

Just Drive It
Posted 8th Jul 2010 at 21:54
crf450

Senior User

Post #153
phillipm wrote:
I'm doing the rears only at the minute, but I'm just in the middle of building some hybrid front struts using Gaz casings and seals with Fox internals and my own remote resevoirs and pistons, see how they fair when I've got them back together.
Then I'll need to look into sorting some aluminium struts to build the production ones into.

Frankenshocks! LOL

I'd never seen any aluminium strut bodies and when I tried to buy some off AVO they told me they wont make them because they wont be strong enough.
If your making some how will you know if they're gonna be strong enough?

Quote "da g man!"
"You've only got to watch the "306 vs ringtaxi" video & you soon realise how good these mod's are! That guy is running Ash's 30mm ARB, Solid Mounts & 23mm Torsion Bars & some adjustments on the camber. Admittedly, the guy is an awesome driver, but it just go's to show how well these cars can handle with the right modification's
Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 03:22
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #154
by testing them in the same way as he has tested his Fox dampers I'd imagine, as well as calculating if the material is strong enough based on the loads they are subjected to.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 03:59
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #155
Was that for their twin tubes or for an upside down monotube?
Should be fine with upside down struts that run on the casing tbh, you can be very sneaky with an oversized, very low pitch outer thread form to gain the stiffness back you normally loose from moving to ally by upping the wall thickness.

Strength isn't the problem - it's easy to make the ally unit stronger than the OEM setup, it's stiffness vs a similar steel unit.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 04:04
rikky 🦔

Post #156
phil has a rigorous testing process which he undertakes on everything he manufactures Yes

first of all he finds a high enough embankment and throws the said design element onto the floor below. if it bounces back up, it is deemed ok for suspension use and resprayed in a chrome paint and posted out, but if it doesn't, he melts it down again and makes 306 keyrings out of them Yes

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 04:02
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #157
I did that with your cage, do you reckon that had something to do with it not fitting?

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 04:04
rikky 🦔

Post #158
didn't get the chrome paint treatment if that's the case Sad LOL

i was under the impression you hulk-style-bent my cage bars on your back to test if they were adequate LOL

Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 04:06
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #159
No

Over the knees Yes Thumbs up
I'll tot up for you over the weekend, I'll measure off this dodgy white thing up here LOL

Email me!
Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 04:10
rikky 🦔

Post #160
Thumbs up any time after next friday i can give you the shitheap

Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 04:15
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #161
I'll go find a big embankment ready...

We'll throw the car off after and see if it bounces.
I'm not buying 10 litres of chrome paint though.

Email me!
Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 05:00
crf450

Senior User

Post #162
phillipm wrote:
Was that for their twin tubes or for an upside down monotube?
Should be fine with upside down struts that run on the casing tbh, you can be very sneaky with an oversized, very low pitch outer thread form to gain the stiffness back you normally loose from moving to ally by upping the wall thickness.

Strength isn't the problem - it's easy to make the ally unit stronger than the OEM setup, it's stiffness vs a similar steel unit.

It was for the 40mm montube units.

Your post read as though you were gonna make a Aluminium version of the steel Gaz body but I might have misunderstood the post.
As you say you can use a fine thread and up the diameter of the strut body to the point where you have a minimum amount of clearance on the spring but you cant do anything about making it stronger at the weakest point which is where the body will have to step down to the location diameter in the hub,this can only be the exact dimensions of the steel one. If an aluminium body's gonna break it will break here and a aluminium body cant be as strong as a steel one unless your bore the strut location diameter in the hub oversize to increase your wall thickness.
Cheers Martin.

Quote "da g man!"
"You've only got to watch the "306 vs ringtaxi" video & you soon realise how good these mod's are! That guy is running Ash's 30mm ARB, Solid Mounts & 23mm Torsion Bars & some adjustments on the camber. Admittedly, the guy is an awesome driver, but it just go's to show how well these cars can handle with the right modification's
Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 05:23
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #163
Nah, just using the Gaz casings on mine to save making an adaptor for the Fox internals - just a cover basically.

Like I say, it's not the strength that's a problem with the aluminium it's the stiffness, 7075 is as strong as the low-carbon drawing steel used for most strut bodies, so as long as it's necked down with large radii to prevent fatigue cracking it'll be fine, the increased thickness further up takes care of the flex.
The Avo units are quite a bit smaller diameter than the Foxes though.

Email me!
Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 05:33
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #164
Interesting stuff but..... has anyone used these AP's LOL Razz

Just Drive It
Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 16:39
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #165
:cough

So i have been looking into these a bit more and they now offer the APX kit which is height and rebound adjustable.

These come in at £577.97 delivered at the moment.

How does that compare with the prices of other height and rebound adjustable coilovers?

Just Drive It
Posted 12th Jul 2010 at 16:37
rikky 🦔

Post #166
where? link to them?

Posted 12th Jul 2010 at 16:45
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #167
Products Page

Just Drive It
Posted 12th Jul 2010 at 16:50
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #168
I may be tempted with these when i come to replace the struts. I know they are fairly cheap but i am yet to find anything that negative about them No

Just Drive It
Posted 13th Jul 2010 at 17:50
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #169
o you want something negative?

your enkei's will need spacers LOL
(or your tyre will touch the spring)

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Astor 306 Francorchamps RIP
Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 13th Jul 2010 at 21:53
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #170
only if you run very low and run too long a spring Razz

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Jul 2010 at 22:06
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #171

Sad

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 13th Jul 2010 at 22:57
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #172
Switch to a shorter main spring as Welsh said.

Email me!
Posted 13th Jul 2010 at 23:37
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #173
and where can you get those?

don't you have to keep springrate etc in mind...

oh wait, f*ck, we aren't allowed to chance anything on them for MOT Sad f*** this country Angry

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 00:00
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #174
Anywhere that sells race/rally/motorsport parts, that's the whole point of having coilovers - there's loads of off-the-shelf springs you can switch and replace.

Email me!
Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 00:02
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #175
what the northern bloke said Razz

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 01:16

Pages (8): first .. 6 [7] 8