displaying posts 51 to 65 of 65

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]

Author Subject: Caterham race build progress
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #51
To a degree yes Chris. Want the whole list done by then, but will be doing lots of little stints in the morning and then checking over everything.

Will then need corner weighting again at lunch time, so if you want yours done we'll have the kit with us. That is providing Ben does come with me and brings the prison wagon.

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 15th Jan 2010 at 17:06
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #52
Thumbs up Sounds good mate, be good to get a true idea of the weight of my car.

No point me setting it up on the corner weights though as it will all change again afterwards; got some new buckets to fit and a race battery and still loads of metal to hack out, but im leaving that until after the trackday.

Long live the Sigma 6 Big grin
Team Phase 1 supercharged

XBL ID: farmer uk1
Posted 18th Jan 2010 at 03:58
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #53
Got some bits done this morning, waiting on a delivery from Caterham to crack on with the wipers etc, so i'm just trying to reconfigure my dash and check the settings on it at the moment, as at idle it's saying i've got -1.28 bar of oil pressure compared to the normal gauge showing at 3 bar cold Laugh

Wire up rear lights - waiting on parts from AES
Fix wiring for front lights
Fix wiring for ECT sensor
Secure Data logger
Fit washer bottle - Waiting on parts from caterham
Fit windscreen wiper assembly - Waiting on parts from caterham
Fit windscreen - Waiting on parts from caterham
Wire in transponder
Adjust pedals
Fit rear arches - Need to buy some
Check brake pads / discs
Bleed brakes
Take my wheels off my mates caterham and swap them over
Tracking
Corner weighting
Service
Secure nose cone
Move rear rain light to cage - Waiting on delivery of a new MSA LED rain light

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 17:01
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #54
Got a few more bits done now, most things i've got left to do, i'll need to take it down the workshop for. Will try and get some new pics of it today or tomorrow.

Wire up rear lights
Secure Data logger
Fit washer bottle
Fit windscreen wiper assembly
Fit windscreen
Wire in transponder
Adjust pedals
Fit rear arches - Need to buy some
Check brake pads / discs
Bleed brakes
Tracking
Corner weighting
Service
Secure nose cone
Move rear rain light to cage

Meh

Posted 27th Jan 2010 at 12:36
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #55
Pretty much sorted now, a few things can wait until i'm at Brands or after but otherwise i'm ready :-D Even better is the car still fits in the van too Laugh

Wire up rear lights
Secure Data logger
Fit washer bottle
Fit windscreen wiper assembly
Fit windscreen
Wire in transponder
Adjust pedals
Fit rear arches
Check brake pads / discs - Fitted a new set for Mintex 1177's up front
Bleed brakes
Tracking
Corner weighting
Service
Secure nose cone
Move rear rain light to cage

Meh

Posted 4th Feb 2010 at 01:40
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
smighall wrote:
Secure nose cone
= Gaffer tape and cable ties FTW. Ill have plenty tomorrow Yes

Long live the Sigma 6 Big grin
Team Phase 1 supercharged

XBL ID: farmer uk1
Posted 5th Feb 2010 at 01:03
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #57
I've got plenty too Wink

Anyways, all sorted i think, few pics of it clean and ready to rock:

Meh

Posted 5th Feb 2010 at 02:22
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #58
Looks good SeanThumbs up
Good luck for the new season. I'll pop along to watch you at some point. When are you in Spa?? Whistle

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 5th Feb 2010 at 02:25
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #59
Well the season has now finished, and as some of you probably know i had a little "incident" on the first lap of the last race at Thruxton a couple of weeks back.

Entering the first complex a car spun, and a couple of cars behind just about managed to stop, leaving nowhere for others to go behind resulting in the inevitable smash.

My left front hit the rear right of the car in front followed by somebody coming straight through the back of me splitting my fuel tank causing it to pour fuel all over the place.

This is how it looked once i got recovered back to the paddock (note the saucepan under the back catching the remaining fuel that hadn't come out when parked out by a marshalls post on track):

So yesterday i finally got around to stripping it down, and thankfully it isn't too bad.

A nice souvernir for the garage wall:

The fuel tank was a PITA to remove as the rear basket had bent around and into it. But a little bit of levering had it out, a tad bent and cracked along the welds.

So with a technical straightening tool (read ratchet strap + trailer + mate on the brakes of the caterham) the rear basket has pulled back into shape reasonably well:

There's still a bit of straightening to do as can be seen in the pics above but shouldn't be too much hassle. Thankfully the rear axle looks to have survived undamaged. So a new tank and a bit of ali to cover the basket again and it should be pretty much ready to go.

Just the front track rod lever to replace and suspension to setup again.

All loaded back in the van until next time i can get to the workshop:

Meh

Posted 30th Oct 2010 at 22:32
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #60
Probably be easier to just chop the corners out and weld in some new tube rather than trying to straighten it any more tbh.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 30th Oct 2010 at 22:49
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #61
We've got a jig to bolt to the a frame pick ups then just use a chain block to pull the rest of it. Should only take about 5-10 minutes. None of it's structual anyway and once plated and covered in vinyl it'll be better than it was before anyway Laugh

Meh

Posted 30th Oct 2010 at 22:54
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
LOL

The rear cage stays look a bit iffy though! I suppose there's not much substantial to bolt to back there.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 30th Oct 2010 at 23:05
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #63
Not really, they're mainly there to give the rear basket more strength more than anything. The main pickups are through the cahssis above the strut tops and by the bottom of the scuttle.

Meh

Posted 30th Oct 2010 at 23:05
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #64
Pity about the cost of a fuel tank really given the rest straightens back out for sweet FA

Email me!
Posted 30th Oct 2010 at 23:08
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #65
Yeah they're approx £250 quid with new seals etc. Although for now i have a used tank that was replaced from another smash at snetterton but is actually fine, just a bit of a dent in it, but no cracks. So that will do for the close season and will keep an eye out for a straight one on the cheap.

Meh

Posted 30th Oct 2010 at 23:17

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]