displaying posts 26 to 50 of 51

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: drilled grooved discs
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Not EC90 approved as OEM replacement parts, same as 3000/1144/1155/RC5/6/8, etc, etc.

Neither are grooved/drilled discs unless they are OEM pattern, and neither are my wavy discs.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 16th May 2009 at 04:31
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Does that technically mean that anyone with these parts doesn't have insurance? Also where do you stand if you declare non road legal parts to the insurer? Are you insured then? Or will they find a way of backing out if they wanted to.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 16th May 2009 at 17:23
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #28
technically yes you'd be uninsured, but along the same vein as if you use a 50 profile instead of a 55, not right for the car but they work, ish.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th May 2009 at 17:37
lukejenks101

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Do the DS2500 last long? i was thinking of getting them for my brembos ..

PS3 I.D - jenkers101

Live i.d - Lukejenks1201
Posted 16th May 2009 at 17:50
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
At least 50 profiles are E marked though (or whatever the relevant accreditation may be). I don't know why I am asking this I will be fitting wilwoods and spacers and have 1144s on the back.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 16th May 2009 at 18:28
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
smegal wrote:
Does that technically mean that anyone with these parts doesn't have insurance? Also where do you stand if you declare non road legal parts to the insurer? Are you insured then? Or will they find a way of backing out if they wanted to.

Still insured so long as you tell your insurance you've changed from the original braking system Dunno

EC90 is a regulation for replacement fitment pads which means they have to be within a performance and dimension tolerance of the originals, made in an accredited factory and sealed in tamper-proof packaging.
Which means any parts that exceed the performance of the standard parts can't be accredited Doh

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 17th May 2009 at 01:02
tabbbster

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
phillipm wrote:

Which means any parts that exceed the performance of the standard parts can't be accredited Doh

Thats a stupid rule Crazy

My Rallye was built on thursday 7th January 1999 according to the cosmic code generator.
My Cyclone refurb
Posted 17th May 2009 at 02:19
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
It's to stop some dodgy dealer selling a little old lady DS3000's to be fitted to the back of her corsa and her ending up backwards through a hedge...

Email me!
Posted 17th May 2009 at 06:05
cuemanlew

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
rallyestyle wrote:

I think the high ones (Porsche/Ferrari) are fine though as the holes are cast in rather than drilled Yes

I thought the higher ones were ceramic?

THE PRODIGY

khj100 wrote:
Beginning to think you're taking the **** now.

Could you at least try to post in the right section, and try using the search before starting new threads. All the information you want already exists and it'll elicit a much more positive response from the rest of the members on here if you put a little more effort into researching yourself before asking daft questions.
Posted 17th May 2009 at 06:14
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
Well, the top end ones are yes, ceramic doesn't have the same trouble anyway because they don't move the same way with heat, and they need the holes to get more leading edges to bite into for when the brakes are cold (same principle as the wavy ones really)

Email me!
Posted 17th May 2009 at 06:20
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
I have run DS2500s on a few cars now and they are great. Pretty sure my insurance knows about them, but will check anyway.

Nothing to see here
Posted 20th May 2009 at 15:33
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
lukejenks101 wrote:
Do the DS2500 last long? i was thinking of getting them for my brembos ..

I fitted mine at the start of 2006 along with the BD Combi disks. The disks need replacing very soon now, but the pads have plenty of life left.

Pics of my 6
My 6 on Google Video thanks to coxy306Xsi
Posted 20th May 2009 at 15:47
captaink

Senior User

Post #38
toby wrote:
I've been running DS2500's on standard discs and they've been fine, you wouldn't know the difference till you need them then they work very well.

+1 I have the standard GTi6 brake calipers and discs on my 205 and have DS2500s installed as well. Awesome stopping ability and did very well going around the Nurburgring for 4 days at the Easter Weekend. Big grin

When I got home last night, my G/F demanded that I take her somewhere expensive - so, I took her to a petrol station.

1993 L reg 205 with GTi6 engine and GTi6 brakes
1995 M reg FTO GPX manual
Posted 20th May 2009 at 20:35
lee306v6

Regular

Post #39
well there on....jst bedded them in and feel great, really responsive (compared to the standard brakes anyway)

lee306v6 has attached the following image:

im finally on my way to turbosville!! woop

Posted 2nd Jun 2009 at 19:04
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
phillipm wrote:
It's to stop some dodgy dealer selling a little old lady DS3000's to be fitted to the back of her corsa and her ending up backwards through a hedge...

LOL LOL

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 14th Aug 2009 at 03:48
jose

Senior User

Post #41
so by the sounds of it the best setup is Original Brembo vented disks from GSF and DS2500? Tried and tested?

Where are people getting the pads from and whats the average price?

Nile Blue GTi6

Alpine White 205 GTi 1.9 - Project

Air Con Pipes Thread.......

Machine Polishing - Paint Correction - Swirl Removal in West London - PM for details
Posted 14th Aug 2009 at 04:08
cdgray

Regular

Post #42
24seven wrote:
I've heard some horror stories about drilled rotors. Namely that the edges where they've been drilled are prone to cracking when they get hot.

Yes

When you drill a hole in metal the hole becomes a stress concentration. The act of drilling the hole can also cause micro cracking, which in time can propagate from the hole across the disc, as shown in the earlier photo. The expensive ones are cast which avoids the introduction of micro cracks from the drilling process, but these cost a lot more to produce.

In terms of brake set ups, I've had standard discs and pads for pug, standard discs with green stuff pads and vented brembo discs with Mintex M1144 pads. I've also borrowed a 6 with the exact set up you are looking at.

I thought standard pug set up was pretty good, the greenstuff pads had less initial bite but didn't fade as easily and the brembo/mintex combo I'm running now is by far the best of all I've tried.

I didn't get on at all well with the drill/groved discs and greenstuff pads. First time I came to a roundabout I braked as I nornally would and thought I was going to go staight across it Shock

Chris - Phase 3 Moonstone GTi 6
Posted 14th Aug 2009 at 04:35
captaink

Senior User

Post #43
lee306v6 wrote:
aww already recieved em! Sad lol i wanted ferodo ds2500s but the guy wouldnt sell em me for road use ????

Weird. I have DS2500s from Demon Tweeks and they are brilliant brake pads.

As for Greenstuffs - you'd be better off sticking your feet out of the door and pressing them on the floor to try to slow the car down. LOL Seriosuly, watch out for brake fade with greenstuff - you will get it a LOT.

When I got home last night, my G/F demanded that I take her somewhere expensive - so, I took her to a petrol station.

1993 L reg 205 with GTi6 engine and GTi6 brakes
1995 M reg FTO GPX manual
Posted 14th Aug 2009 at 15:31
danblaze6 Banned!

Post #44
I have these disks with red stuff pads and they seem pretty good imo.

XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: VTECH MONKEY821
Posted 14th Aug 2009 at 17:19
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
ive just bought these, dont know what they wil be like though, says left and right sided is left the pasenger side then??

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 21st Aug 2009 at 17:50
cdgray

Regular

Post #46
So that pic shows a front and rear disc for the same side by the looks of it? From the direction of the the grooves I'm pretty sure that the two discs pictured are both for the drivers side.

Does that match with what you thought?

Chris - Phase 3 Moonstone GTi 6
Posted 21st Aug 2009 at 22:16
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
said right hand side.
the front discs are bloody heavy

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 22nd Aug 2009 at 00:22
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
Are they Black Diamonds or something or is it just the light that makes them look black?

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 22nd Aug 2009 at 00:30
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
ebc ultimax

cant se the black lasting long , just looks like paint

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 22nd Aug 2009 at 00:46
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
andy+katie wrote:
ebc ultimax

cant se the black lasting long , just looks like paint

They are excellent with DS2500's and some Castrol Response Super Dot4 Brake fluid. File the leading and rear edge 45 degrees to help bed the pads in and prevent squeal and add some copper slip on the rear as per Welly's FAQ.
Posted 22nd Aug 2009 at 00:53

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3