displaying posts 301 to 325 of 340

Pages (14): first .. 12 [13] 14

Author Subject: Remember that V12 205?
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #301
Few more cars clicky

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 01:32
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #302

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 16:04
aphyx

Regular

Post #303
Can you explain the logic behind the exhaust? It seems that they could branch it into one pipe but there are 4?

Looks cool though

Onward to the Edge!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 16:45
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #304
You could, but the secondary runners would be far too short, it's to help boost torque through the midrange.

Email me!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 16:46
aphyx

Regular

Post #305
Any idea what sort of power/torque the engine puts out? Would love to see these cars run in real life

Onward to the Edge!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 18:10
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #306
437bhp on the engine dyno, can't remember the exact torque figure but it was mid-170's.

Email me!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 18:17
aphyx

Regular

Post #307
I assume these are run at french rallies or are they in the Uk as well? I need to get out and see these run.

437 NA power sounds amazing, whats the rev limit on that? Surely up near like 14/15k?

Onward to the Edge!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 18:30
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #308
14krpm.

French Tout Terrain rallies for foucart and all the nice high revving engines, although, obviously, the ones you see on british plates run over here and have just gone over for a play Wink

Me and a mate will definately be going over to Plaines et Vallees to spectate the same time next year along with a couple of the regulars that go over to watch/service crew, so if there's any interest we could organise a decent road trip.

Quite a lot of footage here:

Click Me

Up to 4m45 is production based stuff if you want to skip it.

Email me!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 18:36
aphyx

Regular

Post #309
I would love to go over, so it this time of year? Should get a road trip organized. Count me in!

Any idea of what transmission is mated to that 205? It appears to be a 4WD system from the way it drives and I think i can spy a rear diff under the back. There must be hours and hours of engineering gone into every car there, quite impressive really.

Onward to the Edge!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 19:32
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #310
Sadev sequential in the cabin, propshaft forward and back to the diffs, diffs are BMW 210mm internals in a billet casing to drop the weight and centre the drive.

Most of the cars there are 4wd, few 2wd ones though, generally the little buggy type things with bike engines, and the older cars with the aircooled VW engines hung out the back.

Email me!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 20:07
aphyx

Regular

Post #311
That really is some serious engineering then, not something you see everyday. Any idea on how long these cars take to make/prepare or is it just years of progress?

Onward to the Edge!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 20:17
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #312
Something like that there will be years of progress in, but some of them are cars you can buy pre-built, you're looking at 2-3 months if the money and the parts are there, and depending on what you want.
However, you're looking at about 5 hours of prep/repair work for every hour racing, they take a beating.

Email me!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 20:26
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #313
Just a few under the skin shots for a 'normal' racer, so you can see a bit more of what's under them:

Interior:

Interior/internals shot:

Frame, etc:

Email me!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 20:36
aphyx

Regular

Post #314
That's a lot of effort for privateers, I'm assuming that most of the teams there will be private teams?

What is the prize money like for this event as well, I think it would be quite moderate and this would mostly be done for the passion of doing it?

And those pictures show some very nice fabrication, those frames are awesome. Do I spy some ITBs on the engine in the last pic? Shiny bits!

Onward to the Edge!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 20:56
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #315
Pretty much all the teams are privateers, there's some sponsorship for the bigger guys but that's all, prize money pretty much just about covers your fuel and tyres for an event if you're lucky (and bugger all for UK events bar a shiny bit of tin), just done for the fun of it.
Yeah, ITB's on the last one, Nissan 3.5 V6 - it's actually the same as the black one with 'team scrumpy' written down it in the video.

Email me!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 20:59
aphyx

Regular

Post #316
I've got a lot of time and respect for people who enter things like this even though there is no financial return, its just for the fun of doing it. Very akin to the Isle of Man TT style of racing where its just for the bragging rights.

When does next years season start and what are the regulations on entering? I would guess it would be a fairly short list of rules?

Onward to the Edge!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 21:20
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #317
The regulations are laid out in the FFSA regulations, but UK-based cars can enter provided they are built under the MSA Safari/Cross-Country regulations, to enter the championship class for the french events you need to between 2 and 3.6 litres (turbocharged cars are counted as 1.7x capacity), and minimum weight of 1280kg, the only thing over the MSA rollcage rules is that the cars must have gussets welded in at tube intersections and the normal international rally regs (seats, belt, fire extinguishers in dates, etc). There's also a 2l and under class, 2wd class, minimum weights on those is 1080kg, and an >5 litre class (min weight 1680kg).
However, if you don't fit the class weights/CC limits they let you enter anyway, you just don't get points for the championship. First french event next year is 5-6th March at Arzaq.

In the UK there's no engine limits at all bar whatever classes the organisers of the race decide on, it's one of the few unlimited sports left, if you want to turn up with a 47 litre V12 out of a WWII fighter, that's up to you...

Email me!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 21:47
aphyx

Regular

Post #318
That sounds fair and rather simple which is always good. Whens the first even in the UK? I'd love to come out and watch some awesome rally action, it seems that WRC has declined a bit over the last decade or so and is almost unwatchable. Bring back Group B LOL

I like the idea of unlimited motorsports, its all well and good making something with huge power outputs but it has to function as a rally car. If you put a huge lump in it, you'd need some serious suspension to take the weight etc. Would be interesting seeing how people take wildly different approaches to build a fast rally car.

Onward to the Edge!
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 23:27
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #319
First awdc national championship event is at Walters Arena in Wales, 31st March/1st April, first british championship event is at Pikes Peak in Wales, 14th-15th April.

However, there is an event right in the middle of organising now, which will take place at Waterbeach (nr Cambridge) airfield on the 28th/29th April, which will be a 'Champion of Champions' type event.
Basically, as well as us usual AWDC lot, they've invited all the top lads from the british and hillrallys/etc, to fight it out for a seperate trophy to determine who's the best amongst them.
So, should be plenty of cars, and with it being on an airfield it's flat with no mud, so although it's not as much fun with no real jumps, etc, it is great for casual spectators.

oh, and:

McClicky

Sausage Roll

More V16 goodness, some night footage

And some more...

Email me!
Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 00:58
tjcgti

Regular

Post #320
I missed out on group b Sad hate being young. Would love to travel to Wales to see this!

Edit - is there a website for these events just showing all the times and addresses for each one? Or more of a private thing? Sorry not sure.
Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 10:05
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #321
so I spy a C5 or a 607 wheel there?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 10:26
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #322
There is, but as it's more club racing, etc, there's not really much on them, there the marches4x4 site, which covers the british championship, the awdc, which do everything from these safaris to trailing and pay and play days - they're like an organising body for a lot of off-road stuff in the uk, and various regional clubs such as NORC, MORC, SORC, etc

If you're in Bexhill there's a good one at Sevenoaks in August.

Email me!
Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 11:04
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #323
welshpug! wrote:
so I spy a C5 or a 607 wheel there?

Yeah, that's what he usually uses as a spare, they're surprisingly strong tbh!

Email me!
Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 11:04
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #324
lots more videos appeared today:

Clicky

Should be a couple more show up on that account shortly.

Email me!
Posted 4th Dec 2011 at 20:24
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #325
Loads on the account above now, 'nother half decent vid here:

Clicky

Email me!
Posted 4th Dec 2011 at 23:46

Pages (14): first .. 12 [13] 14