displaying posts 1 to 18 of 18

Author Subject: Ignition Barrel Sticky/buggered?
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I hope this is in the right section.

Today my ignition barrel seems to be sticky. It won't go past position one most of the time and I have to try for ages to get it to go past there. If I can it then does not like giving full ignition and it needs lots of coaxing to get it to eventually click past.

It seems a bit like the steering lock is partly engaged, or that sort of feeling. When I try and turn the key in the ignition it is rock solid and will not budge. I have tried my spare key with same effect and both keys work all other locks perfectly.

So, what does everyone think it is likely to be and how best to fix it? I would rather not have to use 2 keys if at all avoidable. I could really do without spending any money to be honest but thought I'd get some idea's before taking the steeing column apart.

Help it's a nightmare!

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Team: 'EVO Triangle'
This is a quantum car. I don't know where I am, but I'm going really fast.
PS3 ID: Skaankypuppy
Normally play GT6
Posted 4th Nov 2008 at 19:04
jonnyvandijk

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
If you're satisfied its not the steering lock, id try WD-40 before stripping it.

Black 306 GTi-6 Ninja 175.8BHP SCA Norwich Project
Topaz Blue 205 CTI Happy
Posted 4th Nov 2008 at 19:09
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
jonnyvandijk wrote:
If you're satisfied its not the steering lock, id try WD-40 before stripping it.

I think I'm going to have to take the surround off and have a look. It sort of feels like the steering colmn lock is stopping it but I suppose I can't be 100% about it until I have a look.

Do you mean spray WD40 into the key hole or do it from the other side with the plastic surround off?

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Normally play GT6
Posted 4th Nov 2008 at 19:22
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I've had another look and squirted some WD40 into the key hole as well. It has not really made a difference. I have to take the key out if it does it and then say, 1 in 10 times it will turn round and allow me to start it. Also it seems to sometimes lock the key in at position one (mostly after you manage to get it to turn to start it), but you can turn hard and it will get back to position 0, but it's not right though.

The steering lock seems to disengage, but I cannot be sure it is 100% as it's a pretty closed unit.

If the pins inside had suddenly broken, would that not mean the lock would not turn at all? It always goes to position one, the steering lock engages seemingly normally and appears to disengage allowing the key to turn to position one, but it stops there.

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Normally play GT6
Posted 4th Nov 2008 at 19:53
streetbadger

Post #5
sounds like the barrels on its way out, think you can get one made with your key number from peugeot if you dont have the number they can get it but will charge you for it, best to change it while you can still turn the key as you need to get the key into the arrow position on the barrel to release it otherwise youl have to drill it out and thats a pain and messy.
Posted 6th Nov 2008 at 03:35
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Where is the arow position? (it's dark and I won't be able to see until tomorrow). If that is position 1 it goes there no problem, it's full ignition and starting that's the problem. I will have a look tomorrow anyway.

I priced up a barrel from pug. He was not 100% as aparrently there are two different types, I was driving at the time so was not able to give him my chassis number.

Unfortunatly I'm way too skint to resolve it in the next few weeks, I just hope it does not properly bugger up. Fingers crossed.

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Normally play GT6
Posted 6th Nov 2008 at 03:46
streetbadger

Post #7
the arrow is on the chrome face of the barrel between off and position one, its engraved lightly in the metal
Posted 6th Nov 2008 at 04:07
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
streetbadger wrote:
the arrow is on the chrome face of the barrel between off and position one, its engraved lightly in the metal

Thanks I'll double check tomorrow. Like I say, position one is no problem, so hopefully it will hold out.

I noticed a small button at 8 o'clock (looking from the drivers door in) about 1-2mm in diameter. Does that have anything to do with removing the barrel?

If I can get the barrel out, is there anything which could be done to it to help the situation?

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Normally play GT6
Posted 6th Nov 2008 at 04:16
gtisid

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
had my barrel changed , cost around 150 fitted by an independent car electrician.pug are idiots, there always seems to be a choice of 2-3 things for anything you care to ask for. your chassis number never seems to help for anything i have replaced but yet everytime you want a bit they cannot find it without a chassis number. It really p*sses me off what they need from you to look for a part but when it comes to the part there is always a choice of 3 and they would need to see the bit

pugless
Phase 1 GTI 6 1996-1997
Subaru Impreza GB270 2007-2008
rare spiderman comics
same day international courier
Posted 6th Nov 2008 at 21:33
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
gtisid wrote:
had my barrel changed , cost around 150 fitted by an independent car electrician.pug are idiots, there always seems to be a choice of 2-3 things for anything you care to ask for. your chassis number never seems to help for anything i have replaced but yet everytime you want a bit they cannot find it without a chassis number. It really p*sses me off what they need from you to look for a part but when it comes to the part there is always a choice of 3 and they would need to see the bit

Cheers. I was gearing up for it being about that. In fairness though the guy at Hadfield Road Pug is spot on, very helpful. He looks a bit like the Big Scientist guy off Jurassic Park (OT LOL).

It will have to hold out until I get a job. Car insurance is due in two weeks as well. Roll eyes

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Normally play GT6
Posted 7th Nov 2008 at 04:47
notonurnelly

Post #11
I am having the same problem, has anyone else any further updates to this posts. How did oyu get on Bazza?
Posted 1st Dec 2009 at 17:13
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
notonurnelly wrote:
I am having the same problem, has anyone else any further updates to this posts. How did oyu get on Bazza?

I got a secondhand barrel from another 306 (A phase one car), replaced the barrel and key, and cut and fitted the key into the existing keyfob (If you can get hold of a phase 3 barrel you can just take the key bit out and put it in the existing fob without needing to grind the larger body down first).

The car has the imobiliser halo around the barrel, which needs to have the existing transponder in close proximity to start the car, hense needing to use the existing keyfob.

So I now have one key which does the remote lock/unlock and also does the barrel. I just have to carry another key (my old one) just in case the remote does not work, I can get in using the key.

Hope this helps.

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Normally play GT6
Posted 1st Dec 2009 at 19:28
walls99

Post #13
I've just had a similar problem where my key would not go past position A, so I could not even removed the barrel, I had to drill the barrel fingers out to remove it.

The barrel is made of 2 parts, the key side and the electric commutator side. so once removed, it can be easily disassembled. My problem was on the commutator side, a small plastic pin had broken and was stopping the commutator going past position A. I removed the plastic pin, re-assembled and it's working fine now.

I would imagine that for anyone having a similar problem, if the key partially turns than the commutator is the most likely problem and it's fairly easy to fix or change without having to change the key side.

Team Supercharged Gti-6
Posted 14th Mar 2010 at 19:44
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #14
bezza90 wrote:
notonurnelly wrote:

I got a secondhand barrel from another 306 (A phase one car), replaced the barrel and key, and cut and fitted the key into the existing keyfob (If you can get hold of a phase 3 barrel you can just take the key bit out and put it in the existing fob without needing to grind the larger body down first).

The car has the imobiliser halo around the barrel, which needs to have the existing transponder in close proximity to start the car, hense needing to use the existing keyfob.

So I now have one key which does the remote lock/unlock and also does the barrel. I just have to carry another key (my old one) just in case the remote does not work, I can get in using the key.

Hope this helps.

You did all that? Hmm
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 00:39
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
bezza90 wrote:
AshI got a secondhand barrel from another 306 (A phase one car), he replaced the barrel and key, and cut and fitted the key into the existing keyfob (If you can get hold of a phase 3 barrel you can just take the key bit out and put it in the existing fob without needing to grind the larger body down first).

Hope this helps.

EFA! Thumbs up

Cheers for the help with that one Ash. In my excitement I must have forgotten to mention your skills.

Where is the I'm not worthy smily Whistle

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Normally play GT6
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 03:56
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #16
Laugh my ass off
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 03:59
mark.evs

Senior User

Post #17
Sorry to bring up an old thread but it came up close to the top on the search. got the same problem with mine, key getting stuck in the barrel etc. does anyone know if a phase 1 diesel barrel will work the same as a phase 2 petrol? they look similar. i gotta change mine anyway as the cowboys who fitted the alarm bodged all the wiring. cheers

My GTi6 track project

White Rallye project
Posted 10th Mar 2011 at 17:08
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #18
yes should work fine mate.

o/t will pm you later about the door mechs Thumbs up
Posted 10th Mar 2011 at 18:44