displaying posts 1 to 25 of 108

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: Apollo Kit DONE *pics + VIDEO*
chrissykapow

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I wish it was a supercharger or throttle bodies I could brag about but no this one's not a big project by any means, but one which I thought I'd share with you on here Yes

been thinking along the lines of Ryan (Joker's) Pipercross setup but with my little twist on it. I am using a K&N Apollo C.I.S enclosed air filter with cold air feed. After a bit of planning, this was what I came up with:-

So I got in contact with James Lister Motorsport with regards to lengths of silicone hose, K&N themselves to provide the reducing pipe from 80 to 70mm and a good old buddy called Dave to sort me out witha bit of custom aluminium throttle intake pipe.

After removing all the original air filter housing and resonator box + air scoop etc... and fitting the Apollo kit on to just the way I wanted it... here is what it looks like on the car:-

I took it for a proper run up to Bridgnorth and back this morning and it is superb!!! The sound is to die for... the K&N bwaarrrpp but with more of a closed induction grumble low down. At full chat, it's just as loud as my Magnex but with mroe of a satisfying noise than a drone. It is slightly more responsive off the mark aswell.

10/10 rating for the product, I recommend these if you're willing to put in the work Thumbs up

My Myspace / Band Myspace / My Facebook
Team China GTi6
always more to come....Devil
pic1 pic2 pic3 pic4 pic5 pic6 pic7 pic8 pic9 pic10
-------------------------------
* Quote of the day:- "Grow some balls.. but why balls??? They're soft and sensitive. Grow a vagina... man, those things can take a pounding!!" *
--------------------------------
Posted 4th Sep 2008 at 17:07
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Good stuff, looks like a tidy set-up. Cool

Think this is the route I'm going to take in the next few weeks, once I've got all the bits and pieces together.

Just one question though, did you order the reducer pipe from K&N through your work or from a website or something?
Posted 29th Jun 2008 at 17:42
chrissykapow

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
K&N mate Yes and got it through work. Got the filter and bits from HERE but looks like he's not selling any more. I got it for

Team China GTi6
* Quote of the day:- "Grow some balls.. but why balls??? They're soft and sensitive. Grow a vagina... man, those things can take a pounding!!" *
Posted 29th Jun 2008 at 17:46
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Ok, cool. Will have to try and find somewhere else which sells them.
Posted 29th Jun 2008 at 17:45
chrissykapow

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
definitely worth it though Smile makes a change for K&N for make a forced air induction system to rival better Pipercross and BMC Razz

Team China GTi6
Posted 29th Jun 2008 at 17:47
tog

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
nice work mate, theres some thought gone into that set up.

he who hesitates has lost.
Posted 29th Jun 2008 at 18:13
petegti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Looks good, are you leaving foglight feed like that though? Razz

Cress87 wrote:
This place is getting beyond a joke. There's been an enormous influx of bellends signing up recently

Team 205 1.9 GTi

Team: Hmm™
Posted 29th Jun 2008 at 19:02
chrissykapow

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
petegti6 wrote:
Looks good, are you leaving foglight feed like that though? Razz

god no, that's just a temporary thing. I'm gonna get a proper flusher looking mount. Maybe even get a RallyE foglight blank and modify it to fit or something, haven't decided yet... but it will be one of the next things I do.

thanks for the input anyways guys,does anyone know of anyone else who has an Apollo kit on their 6's or is it just me so far?

Team China GTi6
Posted 29th Jun 2008 at 19:30
petegti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I'll prob get one, i have the same setup as you but with a BMC style airbox. Can i have the apollo's dimensions to make sure i can fit with the existing pipework i have now please Smile

That seller dosen't look to have anymore on ebay? Sad

Cress87 wrote:
This place is getting beyond a joke. There's been an enormous influx of bellends signing up recently

Team 205 1.9 GTi

Posted 29th Jun 2008 at 19:51
mabgti

NV motors

Post #10
A nice setup there... Just hope you dont rip the air feed off on a speed bump like i did with mine...

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 29th Jun 2008 at 20:04
petegti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
mabgti wrote:
A nice setup there... Just hope you dont rip the air feed off on a speed bump like i did with mine...

LOL

Mine has a few scratches where the air feed hangs down Yes Dry

Cress87 wrote:

Team 205 1.9 GTi

Posted 29th Jun 2008 at 20:13
mabgti

NV motors

Post #12
I'll be ditching mine soon... standard airbox is the way forward i think....

or maybe something else..Ninja

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 29th Jun 2008 at 21:44
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
petegti6 wrote:
That seller dosen't look to have anymore on ebay? Sad

I e-mailed the seller this morning asking if he was going to have any more.

I've just had a reply saying that he has listed more this afternoon. Smile
Posted 29th Jun 2008 at 22:35
petegti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Sweet, just bought one! Big grin

Cress87 wrote:

Team 205 1.9 GTi

Posted 29th Jun 2008 at 23:52
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
petegti6 wrote:
Sweet, just bought one! Big grin

Same here! Happy
Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 00:09
mnpr4

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Nice setup buddy Thumbs up

I have a similar setup with the BMC type one from the bay. Although I have directed the cold feed to the standard intake. Wonder how much of a difference it would make if I had the feed from the fog light.

VW Bora TDi 130
Ex Bianca White Gti6
Ex Team China Blue 6
Ex 406 Coupe 3.0 V6

Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 01:23
joker

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Top job Chris, nice to see you took note Thumbs up Cool

Team 375 BHP Duratec™
Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 04:13
chrissykapow

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
mnpr4 wrote:
Nice setup buddy Thumbs up

I have a similar setup with the BMC type one from the bay. Although I have directed the cold feed to the standard intake. Wonder how much of a difference it would make if I had the feed from the fog light.

well it just strikes me as odd the way Peugeot themselves have done it on their standard airbox. The airfeed has to go in through the bonnet gap, down, into the filter, back up and across to the resonator box and back up again and across to the throttle body of the car.... it just seems a long way for the air to travel before it gets to the engine.

With a fog light feed, the air simply has to go in, and straight up into the engine... air is lazy, think of it that way... it'll always take the easiest route. And the best thing is the faster you go, the more air is shoved into the feed.

And cheers again guys, I'm quite proud of it Yes and glad I could help by recommending where I got it from and the sizes I used for my particular setup etc... I know that the BMC CDA is something like 85-150mm or something like that? the outlet size of the Apollo is only 70mm or something like that but it has a larger open surface area and gets wider as the filter sits in the housing. The cold air feed pipe is 70mm diameter also.

joker wrote:

cheers Joker, hows your S/C suiting you? Razz I've heard along the pipelines what you were doing for a little while now but didn't tell anyone. I wish I could have mine done, who knows maybe I will surprise you all one day.. or throttle bodies or soemthing of the sort. I used your guide as a rough base idea for the setup I ended up with so thanks again for your initial research bud Thumbs up

okay, part numbers people will need if they're going to copy my setup:-

RC-5052 - K&N filter (add AL for blue, AB for chrome, AR for red)

85-6001 - K&N 80/70mm reducer

62-1320 - K&N crankcase breather filter

5 or 6 x 75/80mm (or over as they will tighten down) jubilee clips

1 x 15/20mm jubilee clip for crankcase filter (again, go slightly oversized as it will tighten down)

*IMPORTANT* 1 x 8mm or 10mm small piece of steel or aluminium to insert inside the crankcase breather filter so the pipe retains a circular shape (so when you tighten it down with a jubilee clip to secure the crankcase filter on the pipe, you don't ovalate and squash the pipe therefore restricting flow and idling speed which could result in tickover and idling being messed up) <<<< learned that the hard way Yes :p tip - I ended up sawing the end off an 8mm socket from a socket set to give me my insert pipe Cool

for the connection to the throttle body:-

either aluminium pipe with a 110 degree bend or a length of silicone hose (see JOKER's original setup) 70mm internal diameter, about a foot long in total with the angled bend starting at about 4 or 5 inches.

1 x piece of 70mm internal diameter silicone hose, about 6 inches long for where the filter attaches on (if you went for the aluminium pipe option) otherwise one long piece of silicone pipe (see above) should do.

and also LOTS of cable ties for the cold air feed to fog light Yes especially if you're going to be tieing it to the towing eye. If your cable ties aren't long enough, join them together Thumbs up

The important thing was that the filter missed the radiator and also what looks like a small clutch arm or clutch related part that comes off the front of the gear box (see picture below) note the small round thing that sits behind my Samco silicone hose

It could create a problem if you dont get the length or angle of pipe right.

that is all, I bope that the ebay seller gets those filters to you as quickly as he did mine Thumbs up

Team China GTi6
Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 15:37
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Looks a nice tidy setup that. Yes

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 15:29
anth_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
looks good. is it not possible to shorten that bottom piece of silicon so the filter is lifted up slightly meaning the feed is higher from the ground?

ex white Phase 1 Gti6, killed at cadwell park in November 07
Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 15:36
chrissykapow

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
anth_gti6 wrote:
looks good. is it not possible to shorten that bottom piece of silicon so the filter is lifted up slightly meaning the feed is higher from the ground?

Yes I suppose it is. I have the two internal parts shoved in as tightly as possible (the aluminium pipe and the outlet for the filter) so they touch inside the silicone hose... but I may in time just saw an inch off and see if I can move it further up the aluminium pipe. Cheers for that though, I have considered it and will probably mess with it in time Thumbs up

Team China GTi6
Posted 5th Jul 2008 at 02:49
joker

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
chrissykapow wrote:
joker wrote:

cheers Joker, hows your S/C suiting you? Razz I've heard along the pipelines what you were doing for a little while now but didn't tell anyone. I wish I could have mine done, who knows maybe I will surprise you all one day.. or throttle bodies or soemthing of the sort. I used your guide as a rough base idea for the setup I ended up with so thanks again for your initial research bud Thumbs up

Yeah the S/C has made a massive difference to the car, I'm very pleased with it Yes

If you're leaving the air feed like that you might want to check it doesn't have any water in there each time before you drive it by starting the car up, lifting the bonnet and giving the throttle cable a tweak whilst holding a small towel at the opening of the feed.
This will then soak up any water that may have collected in there if it's been raining since you were last in the car Yes

Like so...

Team 375 BHP Duratec™
Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 16:33
pedro_de_la_cruz

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
i take it the filters come oiled from new right

*R.I.P Pete Sims*
Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 22:43
al4x

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
joker wrote:

If you're leaving the air feed like that you might want to check it doesn't have any water in there each time before you drive it by starting the car up, lifting the bonnet and giving the throttle cable a tweak whilst holding a small towel at the opening of the feed.
This will then soak up any water that may have collected in there if it's been raining since you were last in the car Yes

Like so...

[URL=http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h137/rymitchell/?action=view
Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 22:49
petegti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
al4x wrote:
joker wrote:

Like so...

[URL=http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h137/rymitchell/?action=view

Cress87 wrote:

Team 205 1.9 GTi

Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 22:56

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 .. last