displaying posts 1 to 25 of 158

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: 205 GTi6 'S' - Project build diary
garry

Regular

Post #1
I enjoy reading the numerous project threads so I thought it is time to start my own. This thread has been lifted from Northloop and 205gtidrivers , so it may not read perfectly, but there are plenty of pics so you should be to get the gist of it.

Intro

I am currently supercharging my Gti 6 engined 205, I have run the mainly standard 6 lump for about 4 years now and decided I wanted a bit more oomph!

The car used to produce 187bhp and 137lb/ft as tested at PTS in Luton (which admittedly seems a little optimistic) but I will get a post conversion test there for consistency. My best SQM was 14.7 with a 96mph terminal.

I have bought the Kit from a guy called Richard Walker (Rich_W) who has designed and developed the kit for his own 306, which is currently running over 400bhp and 280lb/ft at 14PSI of boost.
I have opted for a low boost version (7PSI) which has been proven to produce 260bhp and 218lb/ft, which I think you will agree will be plenty for a stripped out 205! Although there is always potential for a little more boost…..

So, first things first I decided to clear out the garage and paint the floor white (I used the remains of an old tin of Dulux! :shame: ) but it has turned out alright so far.

I bought a Forge intercooler and Swirl pot from the autosport show in January for a considerable saving over the rrp:

and a couple of weeks ago I received the heart of the conversion, as Rotrex C30-94 supercharger:

This is what the car looked like Pre op:

I made my own lifting frame from some scaffold borrowed from work, same design as a garden swing I used to have when I was little but much bigger!

Engine and box on the way out, this is the first time I have removed or even seen an engine be removed, it took me all weekend! I was also surprised at the angle it had to go at in order for the gearbox to clear the wing too.

The engine and Box were then taken down to Miles Horne of Pug racing for a gearbox rebuild, as I broke it at Spa last year (it kept popping out of gear, which made Eau Rouge a little more exciting!) and to have the belts and water pump changed.

This is what my trusty fiesta looked like with an additional engine, two gearboxes and a pair of trailing arms in the boot. It has made me question the logic of twin engined conversions, so much extra weight!

Last weekend I jet washed the engine bay ready for taking to the body shop for re painting, I uncovered some pretty nasty rot on the near side wing, which will need replacing

Pre Wash

Post wash

Rotten wing, I was actually able to push a screwdriver through it!

I have also mounted the supercharger bracket and supercharger to the block

I am currently waiting for the new inner wing from Peugeot and then it can hopefully go to the body shop.

Target completion is the 10th of May when I am heading over to the Nurburgring for Sunday TF and then a track day at Spa on the Monday.

Will keep you posted as work progresses.

Garry

205 GTI6 S
Posted 14th Apr 2008 at 17:56
garry

Regular

Post #2
Post 2:

Before I removed the engine, I thought I would trial fit the shortened inlet manifold that is supplied with the kit, it is designed for the 306 for which it fits perfectly, sadly not so in a 205! Roll eyes:

Rich, the maker of the kit, has now shortened the inlet tracts for me by 30mm so the bonnet should close now!

205 GTI6 S
Posted 14th Apr 2008 at 17:57
garry

Regular

Post #3
Post 3:

Progress has been quiet of late due to waiting for a new inner wing to be imported from France:

New panel

And then on to the body shop for engine bay painting.
I collected the car on Saturday, I am pretty pleased with the results, nice and clean:

From this:

To this:

Saturday morning me and my brother rebuilt my scaffold lifting frame and collected the car, he kindly towed me back from the bodyshop. it was only 2 miles along country lanes, but I always find it unnerving knowing I have little control and no brakes! :

Engine going in. Is that safe?

I bought and fitted new spark plugs, these are R8 rated which are colder than the standard R6 plugs:

I also fitted my new 440cc Injectors:

You may have seen previously that the inlet manifold was too long, thankfully Richard Walker took it back and shortened the inlet tracts by 30mm and now it fits!

Engine installed and 205 TD radiator mounted, although I will not be able to use this rad as I need to change the charger outlet rotation. In its current configuration the bonnet, yet again, will not close!

This is my intended Intercooler setup, although the charger has now been rotated one notch so the outlet is lower down. To solve this I intend to get radtec rad which is designed for running bodies/ carbs, therefore lower.

205 GTI6 S
Posted 14th Apr 2008 at 17:58
monty_rm

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
That thing is going to be Superman Ninja

P3 '99 GTi-6 in China Blue
BMW 330Ci M-Sport

Chuck Norris' dick is so big it has its own dick, and even it's dick is bigger than yours.

Team Ninja
Posted 14th Apr 2008 at 19:29
suffolkpaul

Regular

Post #5
cool post! great project.. keep us posted!

why not moutn the intercooler uptop and have a bulge in the bonnet?

soudns like the bonnet is going to have to be modded anyways?

EX Rallye owner
Xsara VTS track slag project.
Posted 14th Apr 2008 at 19:46
monty_rm

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Up top is where all the heat is, and heat is something you don't want on an intercooler!!

P3 '99 GTi-6 in China Blue
BMW 330Ci M-Sport

Chuck Norris' dick is so big it has its own dick, and even it's dick is bigger than yours.

Team Ninja
Posted 14th Apr 2008 at 19:48
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Good stuff Garry, coming on nicely Yes Big grin

Just make sure as much of the boost piping as possible is done in alloy rather than silicone. You get upto 14 PSI of vacuum in the pipework, the silicone tends to collapse under these conditions, but it's not a major problem. Would probably just shorten the life of the silicone bits.

[offtopic]

The auto-tensioner pullies are done; my Dad should be picking up the bearings for them today. So I should be able to get this off to you, along with the EVAP blanking plug over the next couple of days.

[/offtopic]

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 14th Apr 2008 at 19:53
tog

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
thats going to be fast, thats a good project.Big grin

he who hesitates has lost.
Posted 15th Apr 2008 at 01:27
garry

Regular

Post #9
You may have noticed on the last picture the charger outlet pipe was sticking up quite alot and subsequently the bonnet wouldn't close. To solve this I have rotated the charger outlet, but this meant that it clashed with the New TD radiator Angry.

So to solve the problem and spend even more money on the project I bought another radiator from Radtec. This has been designed to suit 205's running carbs or bodies and is about 75mm shorter than the standard one but has a 60mm core so its twice as thick.

The quality is excellent and it fits perfectly. Anyway, must get back in the garage and solve the next problem!

205 GTI6 S
Posted 19th Apr 2008 at 20:05
garry

Regular

Post #10
Another weekend spent tinkering with the car. My lower back is killing me! Sad

I fitted the power steering pump brackets on Saturday, I needed some bushes which I got from Peugeot in order to fit them. The design of the kit requires the pump to be relocated down by the sump where the A/C pump normally sits (on the GTI6).
I don’t run power steering on the 205, but the route of the supercharger drive belt requires the pulley, I had tried getting around it but the bolts that hold the supercharger brackets in place fouled my non pas route.

I had considered running a PAS pump dry and unconnected, but I am not sure if the fluid acts as a lube and helps cooling. So instead, Rich Walker has offered to make a Dummy PAS pump with a pulley which would solve the potential problem.

Rich had planned to make the dummy pump circular but it would have fouled the radiator, so now it will have a slice taken off like this:

I have had to change the lower valence too, I had planned to run the original, to keep it looking stealthy , but there isn’t room for the intercooler and the new rad. So now the cooler will be on full display hanging out of the front, very Fast and the Furious I know, but this way the rad and the intercooler will get plenty of air.
I plan to fit the engine oil cooler and Supercharger fluid cooler behind the two circular cut outs (originally for spot lamps), I added another couple for good measure too! I also managed to round off the thread whilst trying to fit one of the outlet fittings to the charger cooler, more money to spend! Angry

I have also made a plate to mount the swirl pot and external fuel pump, I have cut through the bulkhead to allow the ECU to be placed in the passenger foot well. I am pretty pleased with the results:

205 GTI6 S
Posted 21st Apr 2008 at 01:51
mi16v

Post #11
Hi nice project why didnt you run a electric power stearing from a saxo or 106 ?
Posted 21st Apr 2008 at 03:51
khj100

Senior User

Post #12
Looking really good, Garry!

Out of interest, those black brackets that you've mounted the fuel pump with - were they supplied with it or have you found them somewhere? Looks very similar to the pump i'm running, so any advice appreciated!

Looks like Donington/Croft are going to be interesting! Lots of money doing its first stint on track! Laugh

Trackday, trackday, trackday Hyper
Posted 21st Apr 2008 at 05:05
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #13
Same as Kev, those clips do look very useful!....info pwease Smile

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 21st Apr 2008 at 05:15
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Those clips come as std with the Walborough hp fuel pumps, well, they came with mineThumbs up

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 21st Apr 2008 at 05:28
khj100

Senior User

Post #15
Do you have any closer up pictures Wayne?

EDIT: Sorry for the <OT> Garry - will take it to PM, just posted here for Sean's benefit too Thumbs up

Trackday, trackday, trackday Hyper
Posted 21st Apr 2008 at 05:31
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
They are under the bed atm & if i wake her indoors up im dead, drop me a pm Kev & I'll pm some pics to you & Sean tomorrowWink
Sorry for the otDoh
Quality threadThumbs up

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 21st Apr 2008 at 05:57
apayne100

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
That will be one interseting car.
Please say your gonna vid your time at nurburgringThumbs up

The 6 is complete for fun, stress free driving now…..yeah rightSheep!
Posted 21st Apr 2008 at 06:03
garry

Regular

Post #18
The clips came with the pump. They are just big 'P' clips really, I have seen them on ebay.

I might not film the ring, but I will film Spa. Hopefully I will surprise some of the MLR/GTR guys!

Mi16v - I don't run PAS, but I need the pump pulley for the correct routing of the supercharger drive belt.

205 GTI6 S
Posted 21st Apr 2008 at 13:55
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
How much was the rad out of interest! i'd like a one similar for my charger!

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 21st Apr 2008 at 15:03
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #20
I think the rad's are about 290 quid delivered IIRC

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 21st Apr 2008 at 17:12
garry

Regular

Post #21
Yes

205 GTI6 S
Posted 21st Apr 2008 at 19:09
matsoki

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Nice.....

Keep us all upto date on how it works out...

Built on 25th November 1998... That was a Wednesday..... Thank God it wasn't a Friday!

RIP - Pete Sims
Posted 21st Apr 2008 at 19:14
garry

Regular

Post #23
Another weekend on the car. It was actually quite pleasant sat out in the sunshine, much better than the wind and rain last weekend.

Last weekend I managed to strip the thread from my 13row x 235mm oil cooler I was planning to use on the supercharger cooling circuit. So I bought a 10 row x 115mm cooler from Ebay. I asked for ˝’’ BSP fittings, but it arrived with -6An fittings. To save the hassle of sending it back and trying to find a different one I bought new fittings from Think Automotive to suit.

I had already bought a new 19row x 235mm cooler for the engine oil, which fitted nicely behind the fog light cut out. Both of the coolers were mounted using some brackets bought from Focus.

I painted the intercooler using Satin black Stove paint, which is heat resistant and will help hide the intercooler until I get really close! I mounted the intercooler in position using some threaded bar, washers and nuts fixed to the lower brace that runs along the front of the engine bay.

I trial fitted the throttle body and air filter to get an idea of the finished product.

I have also plumbed in the fuel lines, engine oil lines and supercharger oil lines, but I didn’t take any pictures yesterday.

It’s starting to look like a car again now, a great white springs to mind from this angle!

The car has to be completed next weekend ready to be ready to go to DES Developments for a new Group A exhaust, albeit with a 2’’ tail pipe to try and keep the noise down.

On a worrying note, my neighbours have a reported people having a nose around the car when we have been at work. I have taken the wheels of the shell as a precaution, but I am a little concerned to say the least!

205 GTI6 S
Posted 28th Apr 2008 at 19:05
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Looks like a nice toy. Smile

As for the scallies nosing around. Put a CCTV camera up, you can get them fairly cheap and will help deter would be thieves. Wink

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 28th Apr 2008 at 19:12
n111k rb

Senior User

Post #25
Wow that looks insane good work!

Cant wait for the videos on track.
Posted 29th Apr 2008 at 01:33

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 .. last