displaying posts 26 to 33 of 33

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: GTI6 manifold on 1.8 ph3
jcphat

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Well, I now have a gti6 exhaust manifold and cat pipe fitted to my 1.8 cabriolet. It does require the subframe to be dropped, water pipes moved and a good deal of problem solving as there are two lambda senders one engine side of the cat and one downstream so a chunk of the original cat pipe with the tapping for the lamdba was cut and stiched in after the cat-which is just as well as there is a nearly 3" gap as the 6 cat pipe is shorter than the 1.8. Save for a cloud of smoke from under bonnet and a slight vibration of pipe aginst the heat shield on lifting off all is well -not excessively noisy and an adjustment -probably to the rear box clamp will sort out the interference. The water distribution pipe is a problem solved by detaching its hard mountings and securing them with a stainless clamp-supplied with the exhaust wrap- on the passenger side and by using a length of copper brake pipe to secure the metal cross pipe to the manifold with extra exhaust wrap to provide a double layer heat barrier.

getting the manifold in is not easy but looking at the original has to be a good idea!
Can't judge performance gain as yet but sounds nice!
Thanks to all who have given advice-after shakedown and wilwoods and braided hoses I will be looking to do the inlet and keen on advice as to injectors I think standard 1.8s until I get to the cams!!

New Forum same high quality intellectual debate!
Team Zimmer™
Posted 26th Apr 2008 at 05:54
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #27
Ah ok, you must have a very late cabriolet then? (2000 onwards)

Cars built after a certain date in 2000 are required to have two lambda sensors, one before the cat and one after, to allow the ECU to monitor the performance of the cat and the final exhaust emissions so it can flag up an error when the cat fails.

Most of the 1.8 16v engines around date from before this so will only have one lambda sensor and the GTi-6 cat will be fine.

A Mk2 Xsara VTS (2000 onwards) cat can be used for the later ones that have two lambda sensors as it uses the same exhaust manifold and has the two lambda sensors. I’m not sure of the length of it though, so a little playing around with the centre section joint may still be needed.

Rich
Posted 26th Apr 2008 at 08:00

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
marc l wrote:
welshpug! wrote:
6 is too fat compared to a nice 1.8 XS though Wink

if you want to see the power and ultimately torque you can get from these engines read Dixon's thread about the engine that Sandy has built for his race car.

Where's that thread? Mellow

very very interesting clicky

once known as want a 6 bad

DevilDiablo red like the devil himself!™Devil

6 Reasons to take the long way homeHyper
Posted 26th Apr 2008 at 08:44
jcphat

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Exhaust manifold (wrapped) and 6 cat pipe safely fitted-and swampy is right it has to be from below and with subframe dropped and bottom engine mount disconnected. All now a little rowdy and top end a bit better. Next it is the inlet and I need the thoughts of some clever people. I have a manifold with all sensors and injectors/fuel rail. Stick it on and let the ecu work it out or fit the existing 1.8 injectors. Which will run best and/or give best power?
(It is too close to the water pipes and wrapping them and some pipe shields from nimbus has made things safe.)- I hope! Best guess/advice please!

Team Zimmer™
Posted 1st May 2008 at 03:10
ted

Senior User

Post #30
to be honest i think you will have to go by trial & error. They are very easy to swap over so just have a play and see which you think is best (or RR back to back).

Monkey see monkey do
Posted 1st May 2008 at 23:30
funkymonk

Regular

Post #31
Nice work, I'm working out how to get mine onto my xs atm Crazy did you try undoing the mounts and tilting the engine forwards to get enough space for the 6 mani or is that not going to work? sub frame sounds like a pain.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't...
Posted 2nd May 2008 at 03:08
jcphat

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
My excellent mechanic Tim thought the idea of going in from up top was hilarious and wouldn't work.From below -with the car on a lift and good tools -like a long extension on a ratchet to get to the bolts and a supply of spare studs and nice new copper nuts it is a biggish job but doable and it does give some real extra push. Be prepared to apply insulation to and re-route some heater plumbing-bodge engineering if you want to finish the job in one evening but if not removal/replacement and re-running longer is best . Where they are clipped to the bulkhead above the existing manifold leaves them touching the new manifold!

Team Zimmer™
Posted 2nd May 2008 at 15:58
paul1989

Post #33
what benefits would i get from swapping the exsaust manifold?

p.doods
Posted 17th Mar 2011 at 05:42

Pages (2): 1 [2]